Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What are they gonna use to represent the myojin transporting him across the multiverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Maybe he's a saga-> PLaneswalker.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Verse 3 - transform The Marvelous Misadventures of Toshiro Umezawa, then exile Toshiro until Dominaria Reborn is standard legal

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Adun posted:

I've been playing a lot of Arena over the last 18 months and have really enjoyed getting back into Magic. To the point where I'd probably like to start up a paper collection with the goal of eventually playing Modern in person in a year or two whenever in person events are back to being a thing, or worst case just owning some cool cards. If I don't have a specific deck in mind, and generically can spend like $1-2k /yr what's the best thing to do?

Honestly, my advice for anyone at this point who isn't already fully vested is... don't spend money.

Playing on Arena? Grind your dailies and the cards will come in. You can drop a few bucks to make it go faster, but you don't need to.

Playing with friends? Buy a few precons, then proxy the expensive stuff. If your friends give you poo poo, find new friends.

Playing on webcam? Fire up your laser printer and make proxies. There isn't a webcam in the world that can tell the difference.

Planning on going to an LGS? Stop and rethink your life choices. Do you really want to spend $500 to sit in a cramped room with two dozen sweaty nerds blasting covid farts at you?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Planning on going to an LGS? Stop and rethink your life choices. Do you really want to spend $500 to sit in a cramped room with two dozen sweaty nerds blasting covid farts at you?

I love playing at my LGS.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm doing it right now!
My apologies to my flooded elementals opp. (The match ended a few minutes ago)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gynovore posted:

make proxies.

this is honestly the best advice. there's literally no reason not to do this in every situation (unless you are attempting to print and pass off counterfeits, which is bad don't do that)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
if wizards didn't want people making counterfeits they'd invest in insane printing tech, like money has

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
They more or less have. It's actually incredibly difficult to pass off a fake to somebody who has the proper tools and knows what they're looking for.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Adun posted:

I've been playing a lot of Arena over the last 18 months and have really enjoyed getting back into Magic. To the point where I'd probably like to start up a paper collection with the goal of eventually playing Modern in person in a year or two whenever in person events are back to being a thing, or worst case just owning some cool cards. If I don't have a specific deck in mind, and generically can spend like $1-2k /yr what's the best thing to do?

I think paper magic is cool but definitely do not start buying a deck 2 years in advance, lord knows what will happen before you get to play it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

sit on my Facebook posted:

They more or less have. It's actually incredibly difficult to pass off a fake to somebody who has the proper tools and knows what they're looking for.

No matter how good your laser printer is, the 'bend test' will detect glue-on proxies without fail. Every card collector in the world knows this nowadays.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gynovore posted:

No matter how good your laser printer is, the 'bend test' will detect glue-on proxies without fail. Every card collector in the world knows this nowadays.

This isn't true and anyone who tells you this is wrong.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

I love playing at my LGS.

Same

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think paper magic is cool but definitely do not start buying a deck 2 years in advance, lord knows what will happen before you get to play it.

just play paper draft, the best format

although i'm gonna try to hold off on in-person drafting until we're down to at least 500 or less people a day dropping dead from covid

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

just play paper draft, the best format

although i'm gonna try to hold off on in-person drafting until we're down to at least 500 or less people a day dropping dead from covid

Me too. Core Set 2029 draft is going to be boring, but it'll be nice to hold physical cards again.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gynovore posted:

Nobody who wants to scam people into trading for/buying proxies is gluing anything onto anything

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yeah I actually think Thoughtseize is the real reason to do the black splash, but then the hand disruption dovetails so well with Bob for the reasons you mention that they seem like a natural pairing. Then Bob is an easy side-out for more targeted tools in games 2 and 3 where you don't really want him

Thoughtseize is absolutely the reason for the black splash. Most of the Ozhzov versions run 4x thoughtseize out in the SB as the entire black splash. I think Bob is overkill.

2x Kor outfitter is absolutely correct in Hammertime. I fully expect to see most hammer lists run 10 enablers (4x aid, 4x paladin, 2x outfitter). Lived the dream today with t1 thopter + hammer, t2 outfitter swing out, t3 game.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 13, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Adun posted:

Just bite the bullet and buy a deck. The way Modern is right now the format can change pretty fast especially with them doing a direct to modern set every year with pretty pushed power level. It's likely that the format will be unrecognizable in 2 years. (Other than that you'll need fetch lands and shocks for most decks.)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Don’t bend peoples cards, it’s rude.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I got the tude now posted:

Don’t bend peoples cards, it’s rude.

Please rip them in half to check for the blue instead.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DangerDongs posted:

Please rip them in half to check for the blue instead.

Hey can I see that beta mox for a second?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
90% of the people who are absolutely convinced they can spot counterfeits would be completely fooled by an official card that happened to be printed in Belgium instead of the US.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

90% of the people who are absolutely convinced they can spot counterfeits would be completely fooled by an official card that happened to be printed in Belgium instead of the US.

Yeah, my understanding is that the only true tests are the Rip Test (don't do this), and the green dots on the back with a loupe.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Are there known printing issues with packs of jump start? I traded for some green cards and they look kind of like a sickly mint.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mcmagic posted:

Just bite the bullet and buy a deck. The way Modern is right now the format can change pretty fast especially with them doing a direct to modern set every year with pretty pushed power level. It's likely that the format will be unrecognizable in 2 years. (Other than that you'll need fetch lands and shocks for most decks.)

Why would they buy a deck for a format they just said they wouldn't play for 1-2 years?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I brought my Drake posted:

Are there known printing issues with packs of jump start? I traded for some green cards and they look kind of like a sickly mint.

early packs had hosed up production issues. i would look around on the facebook misprint page to see if they're worth anything. post pictures?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lone Goat posted:

Why would they buy a deck for a format they just said they wouldn't play for 1-2 years?

I was referring to when events start up. They clearly want to play modern when possible.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Will new Kamigawa have Good Art cards like Strixhaven? Potentially interested in drafting with some friends and that would be a nice bonus.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Chill la Chill posted:

Will new Kamigawa have Good Art cards like Strixhaven? Potentially interested in drafting with some friends and that would be a nice bonus.

The lands are probably the sickest I've ever seen and the alternative JP arts look pretty sweet so far. I'd give that a cautious yes.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/kamigawa-neon-dynasty-variants

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chill la Chill posted:

I was wondering about that, the last three(?) spring sets had JP exclusive variants in wondering if we won't get variants of the gangster legends of New Compenna as Yakuza/bancho.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

Remember when WoTC was going to review every card to see which are problematic? Sure is taking them a while to circle back on that one.

"In a bizarre twist, every card on the reserved list has been deemed problematic and offensive..."

"Heck no you can't take my duals out of their double sleeves to check if they're real! Do you know how expensive those cards are? I don't want your finger oils all over them. Are we playing or not?"

edit: To be clear, I do not condone using proxies to try to scam people out of money. Proxies should be for gaming use, not resale under false pretenses

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 14, 2022

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mikeraskol posted:

The lands are probably the sickest I've ever seen and the alternative JP arts look pretty sweet so far. I'd give that a cautious yes.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/kamigawa-neon-dynasty-variants
These look nice, but I was also hoping for things like below

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was wondering about that, the last three(?) spring sets had JP exclusive variants in wondering if we won't get variants of the gangster legends of New Compenna as Yakuza/bancho.

Really hoping we get more Amano art too

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chill la Chill posted:

Amano drawn bancho Elspeth with a two foot pompadour.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chill la Chill posted:

The pride of my collection:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Wow love it

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

AlternateNu posted:

That’s an expensive card, bruh.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

drat that's cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

gently caress yeah

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Today in an MTGO league I played against maybe the most obnoxious deck I’ve ever seen using Wilderness Reclamation and Hullbreaker Horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Hell yeah