Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Ed Brubaker has signed on as head writer for the new Batman animated series:

https://gizmodo.com/comics-scribe-ed-brubaker-joins-batman-caped-crusader-1848326107

Bruce Timm is showrunner, JJ Abrams and Matt Reeves executive producing. Looks like it may expand and deepen the noir, "Year One"-esque vibe of The Batman, but the addition of Brubaker moved me from curiosity to attention on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brubaker makes me feel better about it, because beforehand all it feels like they were doing was being "this is an ADULT Batman like what we wanted do do for BTAS but that was a KID'S show and this will be loving ADULT poo poo and REAL BATMAN"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, Anyone seen Peacemaker? I like the intro.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

So, Anyone seen Peacemaker? I like the intro.

Just finished ep1. It's good. :toot:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm having trouble figuring out who it's for. It's not quite funny enough, exciting enough, clever at all... I guess Gunn & Co. had fun making it, so good for them? Not watching past the third episode unless something genuinely improves. Very much a background noise show.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Space Fish posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out who it's for. It's not quite funny enough, exciting enough, clever at all... I guess Gunn & Co. had fun making it, so good for them? Not watching past the third episode unless something genuinely improves. Very much a background noise show.

I sort of agree, but on the other hand I have bad taste and worse standards, so :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Finished ep3 and I am entertained and enjoying it. Bring on the rest of the season. Show's good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hated Peacemaker in the Suicide Squad. I didn't have plans to watch the show until a friend convinced me. This is DC's current best live action show. Also, lol at the intro.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I hated Peacemaker in the Suicide Squad. I didn't have plans to watch the show until a friend convinced me. This is DC's current best live action show. Also, lol at the intro.

makes sense, peacemaker was a highlight of the suicide squad to me (which i thought was insanely good) and i thought the show was really bad, or at least the first episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've only seen one episode so far, but this loving owned.

What also owns is that they're definitely 100% gonna have to record a new dance intro to any subsequent seasons, since a bunch of these characters are totally gonna loving die. And I want Amanda Waller to join the opening credits already.

Also woah that's Freddie Stroma. I haven't seen him in anything decent since he was in UnREAL.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Space Fish posted:

It’s 100% for me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Did anyone end up watching Naomi?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Did anyone end up watching Naomi?

It was real bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why would anyone watch Naomi when we have Peacemaker?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Space Fish posted:

I liked it. I also liked Super, and this almost has the tone of that, so maybe that's why? I liked a lot of pre-Marvel Gunn.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

I liked it. I also liked Super, and this almost has the tone of that, so maybe that's why? I liked a lot of pre-Marvel Gunn.

Yeah, I felt this way about Peacemaker, too. It felt a lot like Super. And I loved Super.

Also, it’s amazing. So loving good. It feels like the perfect blend of comedy, absurdity, realism (things hurt more than in most comic book media, but not too much), and violence. For me, at least.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I didn't like 2uicide Squad so I'm surprised at how much I liked Peacemaker.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Peacemaker is definitely good. More genitals than I expected though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Slamhound posted:

It was real bad.

I haven't really read comic books in a while, so I had to look it up.

The wiki plot synopsis of the comic book sounds real bad and the summary of the tv show sounds bad too.

I'm surprised they developed a tv show off a comic that's only a couple years old. I saw that Ava DuVernay is involved with the show. Is this a consolation prize for New Gods being cancelled?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What are they gonna give her when Naomi is canceled?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Xelkelvos posted:

Peacemaker is definitely good. More genitals than I expected though.

it’s HBO

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I feel like HBO Now doesn't really do that, it's mostly just HBO. And this is an HBO Now show, so...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had zero intrest in Peacemaker until i saw goons talking about it, but once i saw the Intro I needed to check it out.

All the music is fake hair metal right? "Back when men were not afraid to be women"

And yea I was not expecting as much nudity as there was in the first episode.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Nah, most of the hair metal is real if a bit obscure. Cinderella was a huge band though.

They even got the Steel Panther guy to sing on the cover of Pumped Up Kicks, so I guess that counts as fake hair metal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blue Raider posted:

Nah, most of the hair metal is real if a bit obscure. Cinderella was a huge band though.

They even got the Steel Panther guy to sing on the cover of Pumped Up Kicks, so I guess that counts as fake hair metal.

Yea I recognized Cinderella right away, and I thought that sounded familiar, i used to date a woman who was super into Steel Panther, good live show, surprised how many boobs i saw at that show.

Lol Doll Man was mentioned in episode 3. Now I'm waiting for them to mention the Red Bee or Dr Hormone.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Peacemaker is way better than I thought it'd be. The cinematography is real James Gunn.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Peacemaker so far is a contender for second best after the animated Quinn IMO, competing with Legends for that spot. The opening ridiculous dance with deadly serious faces is :discourse:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Here is a little vignette on the opening credits:

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1482082215257329665?t=j3vEhw93-z70a6pYiHRoQA&s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jamil is clearly the best dancer.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Peacemaker is way better than I expected and than it deserves to be. Just fun as hell, pretty much every cast member is great, from Cena flexing his acting chops to Robert Patrick and his amazing head of hair and all of the supporting cast.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
My biggest complaint about Peacemaker is that they over explain the jokes. Other than that I could easily seeing them going from a good show to a great show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So after watching the first three episodes of Peacemaker I'm wondering if Murn is a traitor butterfly. Mostly from the way he talked about emotions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

So after watching the first three episodes of Peacemaker I'm wondering if Murn is a traitor butterfly. Mostly from the way he talked about emotions.

He also didn't die after eating that explosion to the face so I'm wondering if that comes into play too. But I'm probably overthinking that and he's just a normal human. He was downed for a bit too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He also didn't die after eating that explosion to the face so I'm wondering if that comes into play too. But I'm probably overthinking that and he's just a normal human. He was downed for a bit too.

It's the DCU so there's a litany of possibilities from what you've said, to merely a meta or a different kind of alien, a modified clone, an android, or some other thing.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Finally got around to Aquaman: King of Atlantis and god it’s so much fun. The episodes definitely don’t need to be 45 minutes each, but the animation is so goofy and fun that I don’t mind it too much. Gillian Jacobs as Mera is the best part of the show. Frankly they should just replace Amber Heard with her in the sequel.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

twistedmentat posted:

I had zero intrest in Peacemaker until i saw goons talking about it, but once i saw the Intro I needed to check it out.

All the music is fake hair metal right? "Back when men were not afraid to be women"

After this line I was really worried they were going stupid and it would become "she's actually a man". I did not expect "she's actually a butterfly"

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
peacemaker owns. that is all

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Codependent Poster posted:

Brubaker makes me feel better about it, because beforehand all it feels like they were doing was being "this is an ADULT Batman like what we wanted do do for BTAS but that was a KID'S show and this will be loving ADULT poo poo and REAL BATMAN"

I thought it looked interesting. A Batman in the veins of the early comics. I think they even said the show will be set in the past as well.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I liked Peacemaker, but episode 3 would have been way better if it had turned out that the DCU is the Berenstein universe. I really hoped that's where they were going with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009

SimonChris posted:

I liked Peacemaker, but episode 3 would have been way better if it had turned out that the DCU is the Berenstein universe. I really hoped that's where they were going with that.

Actually that would have been a really funny reveal.