Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Thanks. Personally that sounds tiring to me too because even if I fully agree that Batman sucks that's a plotline that should have a conclusion, not an ongoing meander. Preferably one that ends in 'wow, Batman does suck; time for me to change or quit' rather than - as I suspect it was - 'actually the person who claimed Batman sucked was misled or Went Too Far somehow.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

the Unsanity Collective

lmao what the

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ok, DC chat to the DC thread and X-chat to the X-thread please.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

How Wonderful! posted:

Ok, DC chat to the DC thread and X-chat to the X-thread please.

The Rosenberg defender has logged on

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Rosenberg defender has logged on

That Punisher run was pretty good. <:mad:>

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you want marvel chat Dark ages is fun while Spider man Beyond still sucks.

It looked like they were gonna do something interesting but then they lost interest

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm catching up on Amazing Spider-Man by finishing Slott's issues and just got to the Marvel Legacy part where they brought back the original numbering. For Spencer's run they started with a new #1 again? I don't get the premise of the legal action stuff of Beyond. Neither Peter nor Miles are known as Spider-Man, so what's the threat of legal action going to do?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of Hickman interviews, I can't remember if it was here or in the X thread but someone mentioned Petra and Sway shouldn't have been able to be resurrected because they died before cerebro was set up to make back ups.

According to his interview in the Jay and Miles winter special it turns out that was a mistake by Hickman. He meant for them to only exist in Vulcan's mind, but he had to do last minute re dialogue on an issue of X-Men that already had art and he accidentally had Havoc mention them being on Earth.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lobok posted:

I'm catching up on Amazing Spider-Man by finishing Slott's issues and just got to the Marvel Legacy part where they brought back the original numbering. For Spencer's run they started with a new #1 again?

Is there any active series still on the legacy numbering? I like the idea of collecting everything under a single numbering system but there's loads of weird stuff like Hulk getting all of the Tales to Astonish issues even though he doesn't appear until like issue 50 something

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Party Boat posted:

Is there any active series still on the legacy numbering? I like the idea of collecting everything under a single numbering system but there's loads of weird stuff like Hulk getting all of the Tales to Astonish issues even though he doesn't appear until like issue 50 something
They will acknowledge the legacy numbering sometimes ("Avengers 750" was also Avengers #50 last fall, for instance, and April's Thor #24 is "Thor 750" and they're doing an oversized anniversary issue) in promotion and a lot of books have a "LGY#XXX" on the cover, but as of the March 2022 solicitations here are the only books that are explicitly numbered over 20:

Amazing Spider-Man #93 (LGY#894)
Avengers #54 (LGY#754)
Fantastic Four #42 (LGY#687)
Captain Marvel #37 (LGY#171)
Miles Morales: Spider-Man #36 (LGY#276)
Thor #23 (LFY#749)
Spider-Woman #21 (LGY#116)

Black Panther, Daredevil, Hulk, Iron Man, King Conan, Moon Knight, Shang-Chi, Wolverine, and Venom also appear to currently be running with Legacy numbering on the cover as well.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I think the way Marvel does things now is perfect. Restart every book every few years, but have a tasteful big number under the issue number so completionists are happy. Sometimes I think they pull the restart trigger too soon, but if you are changing the entire creative team, and especially if you change most of the premise, it is a whole new book regardless of numbering so you might as well get that #1 issue sales bump.

The more I read comics the more I appreciate Dark Horse structuring lots of their titles as minis. BPRD and Hellboy were so much more accessible because of it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The more I read comics the more I appreciate Dark Horse structuring lots of their titles as minis. BPRD and Hellboy were so much more accessible because of it.

you still need one of those 5ft long images to tell you the reading order though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I find hell boy daunting a title to look into because of how it’s set up so different strokes I guess

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think the way Marvel does things now is perfect. Restart every book every few years, but have a tasteful big number under the issue number so completionists are happy. Sometimes I think they pull the restart trigger too soon, but if you are changing the entire creative team, and especially if you change most of the premise, it is a whole new book regardless of numbering so you might as well get that #1 issue sales bump.

They definitely get to have their cake and eat it that way, keep putting out #1s but also mark the big anniversary issues.

At least nerds have stopped buying 3 copies of every #1 under the mistaken assumption they're a good retirement policy, so they're now just good ways to mark different arcs.

It would be cool if they had an option to view using legacy numbering on Unlimited, but I guess that would make the holes in the library much more apparent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also spider man is getting a new number 1 like five issues before 800

Which lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh ok, I wasn't seeing large enough images of the covers of the current ASM to notice the legacy numbers are also included. Seems like they have the best of both worlds.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lobok posted:

I don't get the premise of the legal action stuff of Beyond. Neither Peter nor Miles are known as Spider-Man, so what's the threat of legal action going to do?

It's in the current volume of ASM, issue #75. Otto filed a trademark for the name and likeness of Spider-Man while he was doing his Superior schtick, which Peter didn't know, and Beyond acquired that as part of grabbing up some of the defunct Parker Industries' intellectual properties. The company was going to launch its own Spider-Man with or without Ben's presence, so he decided he might as well grab the paycheck (and get his girlfriend Janine out of prison).

While Beyond couldn't stop Peter from suiting up, obviously, it could really complicate the hell out of his life if it were to ever learn who's behind the mask. Ben and his scientist handler, that one guy from Venom's series, are going out of their way to make sure that doesn't happen, plus it helps that Peter's been in a coma for the last few weeks in-universe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I appreciate you writing it all out, but his identity being revealed has been something to avoid for almost his entire history. Like I wouldn't be reading this story as a fan going "oh no, NOW it'd be bad if people found out who Spider-Man is!" Trademark lawsuits would be low on the list of things to worry about if his secret got out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I like the way Duggan ended his run in Savage Avengers #28. Not gonna spoil, but it's very character-building for both Conan and Kang IMHO.

Superior.. Four?! I kind of thought the whole Superior / Otto thing was starting to get overdone, but it's kind of interesting to see where this whole thing will lead..

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope volume 2 of Marauders gets legacy numbering

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

It's in the current volume of ASM, issue #75. Otto filed a trademark for the name and likeness of Spider-Man while he was doing his Superior schtick, which Peter didn't know, and Beyond acquired that as part of grabbing up some of the defunct Parker Industries' intellectual properties. The company was going to launch its own Spider-Man with or without Ben's presence, so he decided he might as well grab the paycheck (and get his girlfriend Janine out of prison).

While Beyond couldn't stop Peter from suiting up, obviously, it could really complicate the hell out of his life if it were to ever learn who's behind the mask. Ben and his scientist handler, that one guy from Venom's series, are going out of their way to make sure that doesn't happen, plus it helps that Peter's been in a coma for the last few weeks in-universe.

Of course it's been very strongly hinted that Beyond turned the U-Foes loose to put Peter in that coma in the first place. Something tells me they're not above taking a more direct approach to enforcing their trademarks...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also they just release the creative team plus central conceit of the 60th anniversary for spider man, and man it’s underwhelming

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also they just release the creative team plus central conceit of the 60th anniversary for spider man, and man it’s underwhelming

???

Zeb Wells is great and I know JRJR isn't universally loved, but his Spider-Man stuff is his best work and he's a huge name.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

???

Zeb Wells is great and I know JRJR isn't universally loved, but his Spider-Man stuff is his best work and he's a huge name.

I’ve never cared all that much for Wells and everyone hates spider man is so played out I couldn’t care even a little bit

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I must confess I'm always kind of surprised they wheel out 'Shed' as this great Spider-Man story in the promo blurb, given literally all I remember of it is Lizard eating his son.

Must admit I'm surprised to see Digger return, but then again he's Gamma powered and the Green Door is a thing that's been established now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

She’d is just what if a lizard story was dark. People ate that poo poo up.

And it was poo poo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I must confess I'm always kind of surprised they wheel out 'Shed' as this great Spider-Man story in the promo blurb, given literally all I remember of it is Lizard eating his son.

Must admit I'm surprised to see Digger return, but then again he's Gamma powered and the Green Door is a thing that's been established now.

The "great" Spider-Man stories are often very sad or very dark or both. Not saying Shed is one of the greats but if you want on that list you're probably going to have to write something grim and serious.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lobok posted:

I appreciate you writing it all out, but his identity being revealed has been something to avoid for almost his entire history. Like I wouldn't be reading this story as a fan going "oh no, NOW it'd be bad if people found out who Spider-Man is!" Trademark lawsuits would be low on the list of things to worry about if his secret got out.

I don't know, I think the corporation that brought you the Vibro-Katana and "Oops! All Scorpions!" might have some real enthusiastic ways to defend their intellectual property rights

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm of the mind that Savage Avengers is a perfect Marvel book that maybe too many people slept on.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Yvonmukluk posted:

For me, Shed and Kraven's Last Hunt are kinda comparable in that they are stories where the villain goes really hard all of a sudden and Peter is left kinda sputtering and bloody, going "jeez, seriously?" a lot

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I'm of the mind that Savage Avengers is a perfect Marvel book that maybe too many people slept on.

It was really great and made the most of what seemed like a questionable premise. Definitely worth catching up on for those who missed it, especially as it's done now.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The problem is it is a Conan the Barbarian book but it's called Savage Avengers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cartridgeblowers posted:

This is true

Early on I didn't care for it, because it just wasn't clicking for me, but it started firing on all cylinders in pretty short order

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
hey cool zeb wells

oh no jrjr

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm always looking to jump back onto Spidey. I mainly just want a solid baseline of that day to day "downtime" stuff, fun dialogue, a good relationship with Mary Jane, etc. You've gotta let him be happy a little bit before he gets thrown into the ringer again. Plus apparently he's been in a coma.

I guess that Waid Daredevil run is the last big name thing I can think of where the hook was "This guy is happy now, let's rock", and it later wasn't so happy etc. But I dunno, just having cool names and the idea of a new solid Spidey run is better than reading "uh oh his life is gonna suck something is terrible" etc. We know that'll be the case, but you gotta wine and dine us. But I'll give it a go, and surely they'll be wise enough to do some of that good non-deadly stuff. And Zeb has that Hellions buzz.

JRJR is one of those artists I'm happy to see just for his solid visual storytelling, even if his very chunky style isn't as up my alley as say Ryan Ottley.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I'll check that out! I know it had a bit of Deadpool, which is a plus for me. Loved the Dark Horse Conan stuff, haven't checked out any of the new Marvel books.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 14, 2022

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The biggest problem Savage Avengers has is that its first arc doesn't really represent the rest of the book, which makes me wonder if Duggan changed his mind.

It starts off looking like it's going to be a new volume of Secret Defenders, with all the biggest '90s anti-heroes in one comic. Then it stabilizes into what's effectively Conan Team-Up around issue #7 and gets a lot more entertaining, particularly whenever Doom's on center stage.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My biggest issue with Savage Avengers is that it's not on Marvel Unlimited due to some Conan related nonsense.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Say what you will about JrJr, but his book will come out on time and it is pretty likely he will draw all the issues.

I personally like his stuff most of the time, but can understand why some people don't. I think it fits really well for fun "comic booky" stuff like ASM.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not as enthused with how he's drawn faces and hands over the past several years but in terms of pure visual impact and storytelling I still love his work.

Also, have to give credit where it's due, the inker and colourists will be hugely important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

John Romita Jr. should not be allowed to draw any comic book page in which characters are not standing in a torrential rainstorm at night.