Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Gaz-L posted:

Ah yes, AEW, famous for ejecting fans for yelling NEEDLE-DICK at MJF or KENNY NO-BALLS or FAT-FACED DIPSHIT. How dare they throw one transphobe out! That'll only leave 6898 fans in the building!

Yeah, well, but if they had added one instead of ejecting one we'd be sitting at 6900 so it's impossible to tell if transphobia is good or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

collocation posted:

Nope. He never had it. Was on a committee during the downswing iirc.
He was on the WCW booking committee from Summer 1989 through Spring 1990 or thereabouts. When Flair was head booker, he mainly focused on his own programs and left writing the TV to Cornette and Kevin Sullivan. He absolutely deserves credit for the quality of the TV at that time and the ratings turnaround after the disastrous George Scott booking run tanked them. (Most famously, the weekend with Flair-Pillman and Flair/Arn-Rock 'n' Roll Express headlining the evening TBS shows set new TBS wrestling viewership records and drew the highest ratings for those shows—since cable ratings use the network's universe as the denominator—since 1985.) Wrestle War '90 was also the most successful early WCW pay-per-view, IIRC. House shows were not doing well, but it's pre-Zane Bresloff WCW and with hindsight, it's hard to know how much of that was driven by the product as opposed to bad live event promotion. But yes, AEW probably averages more paid fans per show than that run of WCW did.

He was also on the WWF creative time for most of 1996-1997. First it was him, Vince McMahon, and Bruce Prichard, with Bruce eventually taking a detour to Talent Relations and Vince Russo joining the team in his place. He was writing TV for them as things started to turn around, so he deserves some credit there, too.

As SMW goes, a lot of salt needs to be taken with a lot of the attendance figures we have. For the big successful shows, they seem more or less accurate, but for spot shows and lesser-drawing Knoxville and Johnson City shows? They're all over the place and Brian Hildebrand was often padding the figures he sent to the Observer. I forget which one it is, but there's one Johnson City card from 1995 where the figure in the Observer was somewhat respectable, but if you watched the clips on TV, it was VERY obvious that the number was bullshit. I mean it was "we had to reconfigure the arena to make this look presentable on TV" bad.

OVW and ROH I shouldn't have to explain.

In summary? As a member of a team, he's had some success. As the head booker, he hasn't really had much on any kind of consistent basis. For shows that weren't greatly assisted by big, current WWF names, his biggest successes would be Night of Legends (~5,000 fans), a couple other Knoxville shows that drew 3,000-4,000-ish (like the "Bob Armstrong WILL send Jim Cornette out in an ambulance!" show), and some of the Bluegrass Brawl shows in Pikeville, Kentucky. Johnson City never hit an announced 2,000.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

davidbix posted:

He was also on the WWF creative time for most of 1996-1997. First it was him, Vince McMahon, and Bruce Prichard, with Bruce eventually taking a detour to Talent Relations and Vince Russo joining the team in his place. He was writing TV for them as things started to turn around, so he deserves some credit there, too.

i choose to interpret this as jim cornette being responsible for the Godwinns being loving omnipresent in the WWF for those two years

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Alaois posted:

i choose to interpret this as jim cornette being responsible for the Godwinns being loving omnipresent in the WWF for those two years

I take it you don’t know of Vince’s hillbilly fetish

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

He was on the WCW booking committee from Summer 1989 through Spring 1990 or thereabouts. When Flair was head booker, he mainly focused on his own programs and left writing the TV to Cornette and Kevin Sullivan. He absolutely deserves credit for the quality of the TV at that time and the ratings turnaround after the disastrous George Scott booking run tanked them. (Most famously, the weekend with Flair-Pillman and Flair/Arn-Rock 'n' Roll Express headlining the evening TBS shows set new TBS wrestling viewership records and drew the highest ratings for those shows—since cable ratings use the network's universe as the denominator—since 1985.) Wrestle War '90 was also the most successful early WCW pay-per-view, IIRC. House shows were not doing well, but it's pre-Zane Bresloff WCW and with hindsight, it's hard to know how much of that was driven by the product as opposed to bad live event promotion. But yes, AEW probably averages more paid fans per show than that run of WCW did.

As SMW goes, a lot of salt needs to be taken with a lot of the attendance figures we have. For the big successful shows, they seem more or less accurate, but for spot shows and lesser-drawing Knoxville and Johnson City shows? They're all over the place and Brian Hildebrand was often padding the figures he sent to the Observer. I forget which one it is, but there's one Johnson City card from 1995 where the figure in the Observer was somewhat respectable, but if you watched the clips on TV, it was VERY obvious that the number was bullshit. I mean it was "we had to reconfigure the arena to make this look presentable on TV" bad.

OVW and ROH I shouldn't have to explain.

In summary? As a member of a team, he's had some success. As the head booker, he hasn't really had much on any kind of consistent basis. For shows that weren't greatly assisted by big, current WWF names, his biggest successes would be Night of Legends (~5,000 fans), a couple other Knoxville shows that drew 3,000-4,000-ish (like the "Bob Armstrong WILL send Jim Cornette out in an ambulance!" show), and some of the Bluegrass Brawl shows in Pikeville, Kentucky. Johnson City never hit an announced 2,000.

The Wrestlenomics data puts GAB 90 above Wrestlewar.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

The Wrestlenomics data puts GAB 90 above Wrestlewar.
Yup, you're right, at least going by what was reported, the Bash's 1.7% buy rate edged out Wrestle War's 1.6% buy rate.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cornette (regarding a disgusting transphobic sign): "People are too sensitive these days!"
Also Cornette: (someone has a sign supporting a heel in SMW): "We're editing that out of TV!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvSyYLRBhtY&t=122s

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...utm_name=iossmf

yikes!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Corny said WHAT!?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Cornette has been well documented saying the problem with today's wrestlers is that they're not loving the women who come to the show and aggressively encouraged wrestlers like Chris Jericho to get out there and gently caress. Combine that with Jim's views on age of consent and...

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm glad Chris Jericho took Cornette's money, did not gently caress any of the women at SMW shows, and also did not draw in SMW, causing Cornette to lose even more money. Then he went off to be famous elsewhere, just a complete success story.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Cornett wants wrestling to go back to a time when all the wrestlers were pedophiles

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Cornett wants wrestling to go back to a time when all the wrestlers were pedophiles

Jim wants the world to go back to when he could get an erection without watching someone gently caress his wife, warts and all.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gonzo McFee posted:

Cornette has been well documented saying the problem with today's wrestlers is that they're not loving the women who come to the show and aggressively encouraged wrestlers like Chris Jericho to get out there and gently caress. Combine that with Jim's views on age of consent and...

He also got mad at Lance Storm for bringing his wife to SMW events and generally not being willing to tank his marriage to protect kayfabe in Shitsplat, KY.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Ringo Roadagain posted:

why doesn't he move to the UK to book?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

CombineThresher posted:

He also got mad at Lance Storm for bringing his wife to SMW events and generally not being willing to tank his marriage to protect kayfabe in Shitsplat, KY.
Not quite: In a lot of territories, particularly the one (Memphis) where Jim broke in, having regular sex with fans was considered good for business because it would help them draw female fans and drawing female fans led to drawing more young male fans. It wasn't a kayfabe violation thing, but it was still weird and dumb.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

davidbix posted:

Not quite: In a lot of territories, particularly the one (Memphis) where Jim broke in, having regular sex with fans was considered good for business because it would help them draw female fans and drawing female fans led to drawing more young male fans. It wasn't a kayfabe violation thing, but it was still weird and dumb.

Yeah. As I remember it Jericho writes in his book that Cornette was mad at them both for not loving any of the hillbilly fans. Jericho said "Well, Lance is married and I have standards."

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

davidbix posted:

I was referring to the kayfabe that Lance was single and thereby attainable, but yes that's true about Memphis for sure.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

davidbix posted:

Are you telling me that the Memphis territory with Jerry Lawler and Randy Savage had a paedophilia problem!?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

CombineThresher posted:

I was referring to the kayfabe that Lance was single and thereby attainable, but yes that's true about Memphis for sure.
Oh, fair enough, yes. I was confused because Lance wasn't going to step out on his wife regardless, so from the POV that Jim was coming from, breaking the illusion of "attainability" wasn't the whole thing.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

Are you telling me that the Memphis territory with Jerry Lawler and Randy Savage had a paedophilia problem!?
I've heard it argued that Memphis probably didn't have a worse problem than any other territory so much as it's where some of the most well-known stories come from. And there's probably *some* merit to that, I'm just not sure how far itm goes.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

davidbix posted:

destroyer told a really funny story on some wor he was on about how one of his seniors told him you gotta sleep with the ugly women because if you just sleep with the hot ones the ugly ones would think they have no chance and would stop coming. destroyer thought it was a rib before the logic behind it was explained to him.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

he's been wearing those glasses for decades, of course he's going to defend pedophiles

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Orange Carlisle posted:

he's been wearing those glasses for decades, of course he's going to defend pedophiles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmAz3CotdbU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I always worry when I see 10+ posts in the Corny thread.

Yeah, defending pedos sounds like him alright.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jim Cornette shut the gently caress up challenge so I can continue to enjoy SMW and those shoot videos he did on WCW.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Lol

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Either the glasses mean he is defending profiles, or really into cats.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did jim realize that adam cole is small

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Adam Cole in Riho style gear would be an upgrade imo

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Alaois posted:

did jim realize that adam cole is small

A bunch of people on twitter who all listen to him him didn't seem to realize this until he joined AEW either, weird!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

davidbix posted:

I've heard it argued that Memphis probably didn't have a worse problem than any other territory so much as it's where some of the most well-known stories come from. And there's probably *some* merit to that, I'm just not sure how far itm goes.

Tennessee indies are still the epicenter of sex pests and rampant cronyism so it pans out

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Uniformly decided to relegate Bully Ray here too. He doesnt deserve the podcast thread.

https://twitter.com/WrestlingNewsCo/status/1484258194495049734?t=7ThueITpTzfnJfc8D0huiQ&s=19

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bully Ray should apologize daily for continuing to exist

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Orange Carlisle posted:

Bully Ray should apologize daily for continuing to exist

But think of the HHHEEEEEAAAATTTT if he doesn't!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the heat if jon moxley apologized would be off the blarts. (charts)

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

bully ray, cornette and vince russo are the triumvirate of please listen to my lovely podcast hot take commenters

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Orange Carlisle posted:

bully ray, cornette and vince russo are the triumvirate of please listen to my lovely podcast hot take commenters

And Booker T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

and bischoff - goddamn why are there so many

I guess controversy does create cash