Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mister Olympus posted:

its rough edge is that the theme of this raid tier is "mechanics where the tank has to stand in front to take a tether and/or other people have to park at max melee" which, as the newly minted Only Melee Where Gap Closers Are Part Of The Rotation, sucks bad

I'm missing something here, I don't get how those affect gap closers. Can you be more explicit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

I'm missing something here, I don't get how those affect gap closers. Can you be more explicit?

There's a number of mechanics where the tanks need to be closer to the boss than the party is. If you use spineshatter dive, dragonfire dive, or stardiver, it puts you directly adjacent to the boss, and if the tanks are positioned dumbly, you will be closer to the boss than them

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bruceski posted:

dragoon, rotationally, occasionally jumps to the very edge of the target's hitbox. for someone to pick up a tether, you have to be between the current tethered and the boss. if a tank is doing this at any point outside of the hitbox, they are liable to have that position stolen by a dragoon doing their normal business.

before the patch changes, ninja was the other melee that had an ability that did damage AND moved them, but now dragoon is alone.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So what's the optimum PLD rotation at 90? Trying to figure out how to make the most of Blade of Valor's DoT since it doesn't stack with Goring's.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah this is why as a PLD I just park my rear end inside the hitbox to pick up tethers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a number of mechanics where the tanks need to be closer to the boss than the party is. If you use spineshatter dive, dragonfire dive, or stardiver, it puts you directly adjacent to the boss, and if the tanks are positioned dumbly, you will be closer to the boss than them

Ah, gotcha. I had the logistics all backwards.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

super sweet best pal posted:

So what's the optimum PLD rotation at 90? Trying to figure out how to make the most of Blade of Valor's DoT since it doesn't stack with Goring's.

I believe it's

FoF -> goring combo -> royal authority combo -> atonement x 3 -> goring combo -> recquiescat -> holy spirit x 4 -> confiteor combo -> royal authority combo -> atonement x 3 -> FoF -> repeat

I think that works out right, might skip the atonements after the second RA combo, depending on how things time out (allowing for interruptions and whatnot).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hazardousmouse posted:

Better than Lulu's lightning strike streak

All mini-games in X and X-2 are increasing levels of cursed. Blitzball is just the only one that can be referred to as a game.

Also, the job is called Ranger, not Blitzballer. :argh:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/9a6bed5c06ae511c363ece5ead0a98a3986554a2

Oceania DC opening up earlier than expected, 25th Jan. Game sales also resuming on that date. Expansions to all regions's data centers, including a rearrangement of the JP DC's worlds.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Data Center travel is also planned for a 6.1x patch.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shame that the new NA servers won't be here until August, but DC visit should go some way towards alleviating congestion if it's accessible from the character screen.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually astonished that data center visit will give you full access to the market boards, duty finder, and party finder. They talked about limitations and I assumed it'd be really barebones. But the only limit is just on chatting

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I figured that duty/party finder was guaranteed because what was the point of being able to visit data centers to do FATEs and hang out in Limsa, but the market board access is a shock.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hellioning posted:

I figured that duty/party finder was guaranteed because what was the point of being able to visit data centers to do FATEs and hang out in Limsa, but the market board access is a shock.

I'm guessing they have enough data on hand to show that the economies between DCs are, when averaged across servers, similar enough that it won't suddenly cause the local economy on one DC to crater.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

As an aside, this is a pretty massive vote of confidence in the ongoing future of the game from corporate. They obviously needed to expand even before the big surge, but planning to spin up 20 servers over the next year and change is a tremendous long term investment.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I made an art gallery in my FC room.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vermain posted:

As an aside, this is a pretty massive vote of confidence in the ongoing future of the game from corporate. They obviously needed to expand even before the big surge, but planning to spin up 20 servers over the next year and change is a tremendous long term investment.

I imagine the combination of "our game is suddenly even more popular" along with "and that means we cannot sell it anymore and are giving away free game time" really helped motivate them to open the wallet. They're leaving money on the table every day that they delay getting the new servers up, essentially.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I made 1,229,566 gil selling gear from all the EW quest reward coffers... decently profitable expansion

Which job ? I’m not using my later coffers so might as well

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Will there be some sort of OCE goon FC? I’m a threadlurker but I’m thinking of transferring because I’ve spent years at poor connection 200ms+ ping with empty PF at 7pm my time, but it’d mean ditching my entire social network bar one other Aussie and I kinda want a place to land.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Which job ? I’m not using my later coffers so might as well

Someone suggested that NIN gear would have a premium because they don't share, and a cursory glance at market prices seemed to bear that out.

There would also be random-seeming spikes in accessories (like a necklace would be quadruple the price of earrings at the same tier, and vice-versa for the next)? Maybe they're GC turnins or something

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Since accessory boxes come from sidequests instead of msq, a lot of people probably missed some of them so there's less supply and more demand.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Accessories are mostly sidequests yeah. I checked some BRD stuff and the price wasn’t amazing but better than letting the coffers rot

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

coolusername posted:

Will there be some sort of OCE goon FC? I’m a threadlurker but I’m thinking of transferring because I’ve spent years at poor connection 200ms+ ping with empty PF at 7pm my time, but it’d mean ditching my entire social network bar one other Aussie and I kinda want a place to land.

We do currently have a goon FC on Kujata and people are considering moving, but considering that a few of us are SEA players (I'm one of them) and also differences in scheduling, general server culture etc we're not doing a full FC move. A goon might open up one on OCE servers though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was mainly forced to do it because I needed to clean my inventory for ocean fishing lol

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
How do I not suck at Lost Actions? I'm pretty lost looking at this giant fuckoff menu of weird abilities

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I don't know the full 81-90 GC turn-in list (it's random from a pool but the pool isn't "everything that can be crafted", it's more like 3 things per level), but if you're aiming to sell specific coffer items for levequests at least (for Endwalker leves):

CRP: Palm Bracelets of Aiming, Palm Ear Cuffs of Fending, Ironwood Spear, Integral Magitek Rod
BSM: High Durium Tathlums, High Durium Bayonet, High Durium Knives, Bismuth War Scythe, Chondrite Magitek Axe
ARM: High Durium Armguards of Maiming, High Durium Armor of Fending, High Durium Gauntlets of Fending, Manganese Helm of the Falling Dragon, Chondrite Top of Maiming, Chondrite Gloves of Casting
GSM: Ametrine Ring of Fending, Pewter Choker of Slaying, Pewter Pendulums, Phrygian Ear Cuffs of Healing, Manganese Rapier, Star Quartz Wristband of Aiming, Chondrite Magitek Planisphere
LTW: Luncheon Toadskin Jacket of Scouting, Luncheon Toadskin Boots of Striking, Saigaskin Coat of Fending, Kumbhiraskin Gloves of the Black Griffin, Ophiotauroskin Boots of Healing
WVR: Fingerless Darkhempen Gloves of Healing, Almasty Serge Coat of Healing, Almasty Serge Hat of Casting, Scarlet Moko Gaskins of the Rising Dragon, AR-Caean Velvet Bottoms of Scouting, AR-Caean Velvet Cap of Maiming
ALC: Gaja Grimoire, Luncheon Toadskin Codex, Saigaskin Codex, Kumbhiraskin Grimoire, Ophiotauroskin Magitek Codex

Can't guarantee those will have the best prices or anything but they've at least got potential churn demand beyond people wanting to gear up.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

If you're a DPS do one of the ones that drains. I apparently was missing being pretty much self reliant from getting a portion of my damage done back as healing.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Begemot posted:

I believe it's

FoF -> goring combo -> royal authority combo -> atonement x 3 -> goring combo -> recquiescat -> holy spirit x 4 -> confiteor combo -> royal authority combo -> atonement x 3 -> FoF -> repeat

I think that works out right, might skip the atonements after the second RA combo, depending on how things time out (allowing for interruptions and whatnot).

Yeah you drop one unbuffed atonement near the end of the cycle to keep your buffs lined up correctly, otherwise you drift by a gcd every minute. It's a minor optimization, but its there. You can also pop requiescat really early, about halfway through your first royal authority combo, though functionally all this does is mean that if you have to disengage at an awkward time you can still keep your magic phase lined up correctly.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Begemot posted:

I believe it's

For a quick overview, that's correct. A few specifics, from last I checked:
  • Delay FoF until after your first or second combo action. First if you're able to hit the second Goring Blade before FoF falls off consistently, second if you can't.
  • The "optimal" rotation calls for using Requiescat early, in the start of your Royal Authority combo, so it lines up better with raid buffs. You still wait until after your second Goring Blade to start your magic phase if you do this, it's only so you can get the 400 potency oGCD hit in during that buff window.
  • Similarly, if you're aiming for top parses, you want to use your gap closer during FoF, but you also want to have it up for any time you need to get back to the boss. (Personally, I really don't care about parsing, so I just keep them available until I'm super familiar with the fight.)
  • Only do two unbuffed Atonements, so you can get your next FoF off with only a second or so of delay.
  • Doing the above will let you hit your two oGCDs within FoF pretty consistently, so aim to do so as much as possible.

Vermain posted:

I'm guessing they have enough data on hand to show that the economies between DCs are, when averaged across servers, similar enough that it won't suddenly cause the local economy on one DC to crater.

They actually call out differing economies as why they aren't allowing DC travel across regions. They have the capability to do so, so if there's enough player demand and it won't be too detrimental, they can turn it on.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I usually try and dump my gapclosers during FoF, but if I'm still learning the fight/need one for a mechanic right after I leave one in the bank. I also usually don't Req early because it fucks up my muscle memory real bad if I do.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ibblebibble posted:

I usually try and dump my gapclosers during FoF, but if I'm still learning the fight/need one for a mechanic right after I leave one in the bank. I also usually don't Req early because it fucks up my muscle memory real bad if I do.

Yeah, I'll do the late FoF to make the window for the second goring easier, but if I don't do the holy spirits right after recquiescat it just throws me totally off. I have those buttons right next to each other for a reason!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thanks for all the help.

Ibblebibble posted:

I tend to keep the closer at 1 at all times, even if I don't actually need to for that fight. Much easier than keeping track of which fights need them, especially since there's some I haven't done since they came out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Magres posted:

How do I not suck at Lost Actions? I'm pretty lost looking at this giant fuckoff menu of weird abilities

What job to you plan on playing as?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

coolusername posted:

Yeah, the fact that Region transfer is a question instead of a gaurantee is really disappointing, because either I take the free transfer and maybe don't get to do anything with my friends when they decide against it, or wait to know region transfer will be allowed but in doing so lose the free transfer.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Steelion posted:

Yeah you drop one unbuffed atonement near the end of the cycle to keep your buffs lined up correctly, otherwise you drift by a gcd every minute. It's a minor optimization, but its there. You can also pop requiescat really early, about halfway through your first royal authority combo, though functionally all this does is mean that if you have to disengage at an awkward time you can still keep your magic phase lined up correctly.

i was wondering if i should drop an atonement it just feels so weird to do so, bleh

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oneiros posted:

i was wondering if i should drop an atonement it just feels so weird to do so, bleh

Yeah half the time I keep it out of muscle memory, but I do make a conscious effort to drop it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
In a little over a week, YoshiP and some other devs will be playing some Mahjong.

Also, something from the server announcements I haven't seen mentioned is that they've got more news coming out regarding future patches at the end of February, and to look forward to the next PLL. So there's the timeframe for that, if anyone's been wondering.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
A blogpost announcing the OCE servers and the bonuses including 1mil gil for leveling 1-30, and double exp to 80.

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lode...N6DCKbJWQutImVM

Anyone have any idea if the "double exp to 80" is only applicable if you don't have a max level job? I really want to bash out as many jobs to 80 as I can.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Magres posted:

Always have one of the damage boosting Essences active (whatever is available for your class) and you're already doing better than the majority of people at the cost of a single item per instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I can’t be the only person that has msq specific glams right

And I can’t be the only one that decided to add Amon’s hat to it at some point this time