Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mx. posted:

Girlfriend (26F) doesn't want to throw away gift from guy she cheated with despite me (26M) saying that's the best thing she can do to support me right now

lol

lol

E-- Terrible snype and idc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

COVID Denier Friend Can’t Meet Anyone

quote:

My good friend (f/39)has been single for a few years and has been in active pursuit via online dating apps and trying to meet guys while going out.

She’s funny, attractive, engaging, and confident. BUT she has had a really rough time getting dates or guys to stick around after she talks to them for a while. Or they hit it and quit it. She’s frustrated.

I think one of the biggest issues is may be her anti-vaxx/conspiracy theory/QAnon-type beliefs. She’s even a COVID denier, which I didn’t even know was a thing.

She openly admits to not having a solid understanding of science, politics, the facts about COVID and the players.

I’ve gently tried to sell her on the vaccine She doesn’t get heated or defensive, it’s just “I don’t understand this or trust the government” - discussion over.

She deserves to be happy. She would make a great partner and I hate to see her hurt.

What (if anything) should I do or say to help her?

lol

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
The biryani at a local restaurant makes my mouth hurt something awful- not even raita makes it better. It's so good though. And confusing, because I can't tell if my spice tolerance is high or low or what.

Honestly I don't like peppers because of their flavor. But flavoring with actual spices- sweet or savory- is downright dreamy.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Similar to gurglespurts jeans, dude should have just made those the period sheets. Like does he only have one set of bedsheets? We wash and swap our sheets once a week, this "neat freak" apparently doesn't know about oxy clean?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mx. posted:

lol

-funny
-attractive
-anti-vax
-confident

somebody who's good at dating please help. my friend is horny

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Mx. posted:

lol

Nothing more engaging than a person who is resolutely ignorant and who openly bases their beliefs on that ignorance.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Pleads posted:

I didn't watch the Office but wasn't Pam in a long term relationship for like the first couple seasons while they flirt and kiss and stuff?

But yeah dating apps are horrible.

Yeah she was dating Roy from the warehouse who came off as a douchey bro, and Pam was still with Roy when she first kissed Jim, I’m pretty sure of that. I watched it back forever ago and the Xbox 360 got the Netflix app so I’m spotty on some of it. I think Jim also abruptly left for another branch without telling Pam? He spent a season at another office where he was still trolling Dwight with faxes and that’s where they introduced Ed Helms (..Andy?)

Jim was also flirting with the attractive lady at his new office a fair bit. But then he came back and Pam left Roy and Jim and Pam had a baby.

But yes dating apps are horrible.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah she was dating Roy from the warehouse who came off as a douchey bro, and Pam was still with Roy when she first kissed Jim, I’m pretty sure of that. I watched it back forever ago and the Xbox 360 got the Netflix app so I’m spotty on some of it. I think Jim also abruptly left for another branch without telling Pam? He spent a season at another office where he was still trolling Dwight with faxes and that’s where they introduced Ed Helms (..Andy?)

Jim was also flirting with the attractive lady at his new office a fair bit. But then he came back and Pam left Roy and Jim and Pam had a baby.

But yes dating apps are horrible.

Jim dumped Rashida Jones for Pam.

Jim is a goober.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mx. posted:

AITA for going off on my husband for saying this to the kids?

traumatising my kids and making them cry, as a laff? nbd
you making me lose face in front of my family? YOU PIECE OF poo poo

Normally that would be a harmless goofy dad joke, so like...holy poo poo how did he deliver it?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

this one time i was making dinner for a girl and was like hey you're gonna love this flavor, and i took a whole cup of salt (Mediterranean - Greek evaporated, Berdina estate, fine grain 2019) and put it in the chicken noodle soup i was making and she didn't see. Well, when she tried it she was like omg that's so salty!!!! and i was like lol that's weakness and i chugged the rest of that soup and drank so much water it was crazy

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for going to my parents house while my roommate painted her room?

*reads title* Yeah, paint fumes can be a bit overbearing and give you a headache, that's fine! *reads post* What the gently caress. What. The. gently caress.

your the rear end in a top hat because your a socially stunted weirdo. the dude was going to wendys to get the other people some food and he asked if you wanted some. he was not trying gently caress with you he was being nice.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for kicking out my boyfriend because he called me ugly?

quote:

My bf (30m) has been with me (24f) for about 5 years now. When I was younger I was very mentally ill and depressed and part of me getting better has been improving my self image. One thing that noticeably changed is that I have stopped caring so much how I look in public and how people see me. Ofc I am hygienic and I dont go out in clothes with holes in them and always look presentable but when I was 19 I would never leave the house without a full face of makeup, my hair done nicely and wearing my best clothes because I was very insecure. Now I never wear makeup, I just tie my hair up in a messy bun most days and I wear what is comfortable (I have a thing for oversized t-shirts and leggings at the moment) unless we are going somewhere special or I feel like dressing up.

A few months ago after a very tiring week I went to get my nails and eyelashes done. Afterwards my bf made a remark asking why I bother getting my nails and eyelashes done when I never look nice. I just brushed it off and went about my day.

About a week or so after that we went out for dinner with him and our families. I got dressed up nicely and he said "I wish you dressed like this all the time" again I brushed it off.

Then the comments started becoming more frequent. He would say "you look homeless" "I can't believe you want to look like that" he just kept going and each time I brushed it off. I am not upset with how I look I think I look fine. I shower daily, my clothes are always clean the only issue is I don't wear makeup and look like I spent 3hrs getting ready everyday.

The last straw happened when I was making us dinner. He came and sat in the kitchen and as we were talking about going to the movies he said he didn't want to go because he was embarrassed to be seen with me. I had just had enough and I asked him why he suddenly felt this way. He said I had changed and when we met I was prettier. im not 19 anymore ofc I have changed. He had the nerve to call me ugly and that was it. I told him to leave and not show up in front of me for a while.

He is currently staying at his mothers house. I got a call from her almost begging me to take him back but I can't be around someone who would say something like that to me. I have been told by multiple people I am overreacting so idk.

AITA?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

sugar free jazz posted:

this one time i was making dinner for a girl and was like hey you're gonna love this flavor, and i took a whole cup of salt (Mediterranean - Greek evaporated, Berdina estate, fine grain 2019) and put it in the chicken noodle soup i was making and she didn't see. Well, when she tried it she was like omg that's so salty!!!! and i was like lol that's weakness and i chugged the rest of that soup and drank so much water it was crazy

Dodged a bullet, good people don’t walk out on someone who knows how chicken soup is supposed to work. :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

Dude whined so hard about his 20-something girlfriend's looks that it got him sent back to his mom's house. Here's hoping that karma train keeps rolling.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

I'm sure this guy was wearing a printed t-shirt and jeans at the same time he was out with her, complaining she looks homeless for wearing casual clothes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's even worse. Dude is clearly upset at the realization that his teenage girlfriend has become a woman and was trying to neg/abuse her before she woke up to what dead weight he is. Thankfully it seems like he was too late.

And now his Mom is begging this 24 year-old to take her 30-something son back because even Mom knows he's never going to do any better.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

trash boyfriend stay out

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

It's even worse. Dude is clearly upset at the realization that his teenage girlfriend has become a woman and was trying to neg/abuse her before she woke up to what dead weight he is. Thankfully it seems like he was too late.

And now his Mom is begging this 24 year-old to take her 30-something son back because even Mom knows he's never going to do any better.

Yeah, also she's wearing leggings every day? I wouldn't exactly associate that with dressing poorly, the whole VSCO girl look is a pretty popular fashion.

Pretty hilarious the mom is begging her to take him back, he must be a massive tool if even she doesn't want him around.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Dodged a bullet, good people don’t walk out on someone who knows how chicken soup is supposed to work. :colbert:

true true, dumped her so fast itd make your head spin.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

sugar free jazz posted:

true true, dumped her so fast itd make your head spin.

That could have also been caused by the soup.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Dewgy posted:

That could have also been caused by the soup.

truuuue I get really “high” when I go in on salt like my hearts racing and I get dizzy and I love it those endorphins hooo buddy this one Javanese blend of flake you better believe it was a heckin wild time

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Evil Willow posted:

You know, it's things like this that make me think there are some redeeming qualities to the internet. How many people in the past would accept the most outrageous relationships because they were surrounded by horrible people telling them this is normal?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

sugar free jazz posted:

Are you OK? :ohdear:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Hungry Computer posted:

This line is a huge red flag to me. It's the same thing my mother says how she treated me vs my siblings. I was never inherently "more independent", I was forced to learn to be independent because I didn't get support.

That bit stuck out to me immediately for the exact same reason. My mother, her sister, and their mother would always say the same thing about me vs my brother. They would always pit us against each other, too.

After our mom died when we were in college, unsurprisingly we became very close since we didn't have that tension anymore and now I consider him one of my best friends. Funny how that happens.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jazzyhattrick posted:

Sechuan food isn't even that spicy, wtf?

There's a big variety of Sichuan dishes, and some are spicy as a standard, and quite a few aren't.
It struck me as strange that, even though the wife picked out a place she really wanted to go to and presumably thought highly of, and tried to pick non-spicy dishes for OP , that they still ended up spicy. It'd be a gimmicky place that made everything uniformly spicy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its way more likely husband is a huge loving baby who deserves to die alone.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for demanding my GF stops going to the gym?

quote:

I (28M) and GF (25F) have been together for 4 years. I admit i’ve never been a muscular man and during our time together she has gotten more curvaceous which i love (there’s more for me to grab onto yk?). She’s been working on it for about 6 months.

I try to be as supportive as I can but she is a totally different person at the gym. She is usually amazing, but after breaking a sweat i stg it’s like she’s possessed, she yells at anybody who ‘interrupts’ her (trainers, managers or people asking if she’s done using a machine), she’ll be rude to the staff to the point where she has 2 strikes because of complaints about her, which i know bc her membership has a guest pass and I sometimes go to provide support (and use the sauna ngl) so i’ve seen her and we’ve talked about it.

When she gets home after the gym it’s the same, she gets annoyed at everything, the tv, what’s for dinner (that she usually chooses before going), the way the furniture is arranged and tbh as much as i love her it’s emotionally exhausting to the point i dread the days she goes to the gym.

She’s super apologetic the next day and acknowledges that her behavior is unacceptable and promises that she’ll work on it and control herself. I’ve asked her what causes this and she says that she gets too hot and sweaty and dislikes the sensation to the point she gets angry. I’ve suggested fans or water sports like swimming to balance that but she says that it’s not the same level/type of exercise.

Yesterday I went with her to the gym to use the sauna and honestly as much as i love her i felt a little disgusted with how she was treating people. She is usually so sweet and nice but she was berating a custodian for mopping a spill near her and she just blew up at him and had him in tears. I grabbed her and told her we were leaving. I apologized to the man on her behalf and she was yelling at me for interrupting her workout, defending the man and taking her home.

She continued yelling all the way home and I admit I had it. I told her this wasn’t the woman i knew and that if this is truly who she was then i wanted nothing to do with her. She yelled some more calling me irrational and not having her back, I told her the only way i saw to fix this was for her to go back and apologize to the whole staff and stop going to the gym because i couldn’t stand the person she became after working out.

She said i was sabotaging her progress and that i wanted her to stay fat (her words) so i could feel better about myself and called me an absolute AH for dictating what she can and can’t do and that i can go f myself and my moral high ground. I dropped her off at home and went to stay at my brother’s for the night.

We haven’t spoken today but usually after a good night’s sleep she’s always back to her ‘normal’ sweet self but i honestly can’t stand it anymore and i’m firm that if she continues going to the gym we’re over.

AITA?

ETA: It's been asked a few times so i'll add it here. She does take a protein shake that her trainer recommended. He is a certified either dietitian or nutritionist so i'd think that wouldn't be it. After work i'll call and verify his credentials and check the protein shake she's taking just to be safe. I also don't think (and hope) she's on steroids.

Edit 2: I have to go back to work but thank you all for your help. I will go back home tonight and sit down with her and have a talk. I'll ask her directly if she's taking any drugs or medications that i don't know about and see what she says and how she reacts. I'll also suggest going to a GP and/or therapist (depending on how she reacts to the first part) telling her that i ove her but i am concerned about her well being. There were a few comments that i'd like to show her if she's open to it and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

I'm also calling the gym to double check the trainer and his credentials. I wouldn't like to think so but i rather be safe and not think that it's him spiking her shakes since he is the one who gives them to her when she gets there. She has a thing of it at home but he's the one that sells it to her.

i don't know if this will deserve an update or not considering the tiny rear end chance that she really might just be an AH then well that sucks, but i really hope that's not it. Anyway thanks for everything!

And he never posted again...

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for demanding my GF stops going to the gym?

And he never posted again...

I can see some pre-workouts doing this to her or if she's taking some kind of supplement.

Doesn't in ANY way excuse her behaviour and she should absolutely apologize to the staff and never go back there again.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for accommodating both my daughter's needs on only one of my daughter's birthday?

quote:

Hi all!

I(43F) have two daughters Rose(16F) and Lily(14F). Lily is a picky eater and has a wind-up personality. She also suffers from vasovagal syncope and thus, I'm constantly worried about her. Dad's not in the picture.

Recently, it'd been Rose's sweet sixteen birthday. When I asked her multiple times what she gifted she wanted, she told me she didn't want anything and vehemently denied any of my advances regarding the gift. Her and Lily don't exactly get along and Rose is comparatively less extroverted.

Since Rose didn't tell me anything about her wishes, I planned small party for her and decided to order food for the two of them. Lily is a picky eater, so I went along with what her choices were too as well. Lily doesn't like chocolate or red velvet, but Rose loves the two. So I ordered a vanilla cake and some Italian because Lily doesn't fuss over the spices the Chinese cuisine has(Rose likes Chinese.). I did so because I didn't Lily to stress herself out on the choices or feel left out/ be fussy about the food.

The party went smoothly or so I thought. The next day, Rose tells me she 'expected' the 'partiality' that I showed. She tells me that she's disappointed that I don't 'care' about her because the present I got her (a dress with matching accessories) wasn't something she was very fond of but rather got Lily what she liked (a nail art kit). She hated the fact that Lily got a preset and had been accommodated into the party and seemed pretty jealous to me. I tell her that we must care about family and not alienate others out no matter how special the day might be to us.

She tells me that the day she turns 18 will be the day she will alienate us and then I can 'enjoy my life peacefully' with Lily. All I wanted to do was to make sure that Lily didn't feel left out and Rose learned how to share things with family. I don't think what I did was wrong.

oh Rose, I feel ya. my family invited me over for a special "last dinner before you have jaw surgery and can't eat solid food for 12 weeks"! and then all the food was meat, which i do not eat, because other family members really wanted that.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AITA for telling my boyfriend i don’t want his ugly handmade gifts?

quote:

he’s such a sweet guy, really. i make it very clear that i’m REALLY not into handmade stuff or like any gifts at all but igs he’s not very good with money and gives me “a bouquet” which was literally 2 small flowers together that barely had any petals. like you could’ve at least picked a pretty one. i feel so embarrassed. he got me a stuffed pillow??? and keeps showing it to me and igs makes me want to sympathize ?? the things he does are just embarrassing to me and i don’t know how to not feel that way. i genuinely dont want to feel that way but i don’t know how to help it. he keeps getting/ MAKING me really dumb things that he finds cute and i am putting on a fake smile on it and act like i like it after already talking about things like that.. like drat:/

edit: lmao i give him gifts too, like i know he’s into star wars and i got him his dream light saber etc. i give him many things too because ik he probably likes it.

There’s a whole hefty contingent of downvoted YTA comments because of course there are.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gifts are aggression

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
TL;DR: I have had enough of my stepdaughter so I moved back to my parents with my son. I’m also 8w pregnant and I don’t know know what to do

quote:

Hi everyone!

I don’t know if this is even ethical because it’s about a minor. I will keep it anonymous and hope for the best. I am at the end of my tether here and I feel paralyzed and in desperate need of advice.

I (f38) met my husband (m44) about 4 years ago. I’m 8 weeks pregnant(only husband and I know). I have a son (m8) with my bf who passed away in a car accident before my son was born. My husband has a daughter (f13, sd for stepdaughter) from a previous marriage. sd lives with us every other week. When we got married, ex-wife tried everything to get full custody of sd and failed, but it was made very clear to me (by sd, ex-wife and husband) that I am not her mother and am not allowed to participate in raising her. Sd basically ignored me and my son on our weeks. It wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t hurting anyone directly. My son learned very early not to cross sd and kept to himself when she was around. I suspected ex-wife behind sd’s coldness towards me and thought this must be hard for sd with all these changes. I tried to befriend her over the years but she wasn’t having it.

It got worse when ex-wife re-married and got pregnant with twins, two years ago. She started ignoring sd, trying to get my husband to have her more (we happily obliged) and basically stopped being a mother to her. It didn’t help either that the new husband didn’t like sd and wasn’t shy about not wanting to raise another man’s daughter. I asked my husband if we could take sd full time and try to raise her because I saw that her mental health was deteriorating and that she needed stability. The ex wife blatantly refused this suggestion so we continued with the every other week. The twins were born about a year ago and all went down hill from there. It seemed like the worse sd had it at her mom’s the more she hated me and my son. She would throw fits a couple of times every time she’s with us. Break our stuff. Call me a bitch if I tried to tell her off. “It’s her house because her father bought it and we’re just guests”. She would yell at my son and she even hit him a couple of times telling him to keep to his room if he didn’t like her treatment of him. When I told her not to put her hand on my son she told me “what are you going to do about it?” My son grew fearful of her and would ask me to take him to grandpa(bf’s father) when she’s living with us.

I talked to my husband about it. I told him sd needed professional help because she’s not feeling well and she’s making us miserable when she’s around. So she started to go to therapy(6 months now). Other than that my husband didn’t know what to do either. If he tried to talk to her about being nice to us she played innocent and told him she was playing around and hugged and kissed my son in front of him, and if he tried to be stern she threw a tantrum and accused him of loving my son more than her.

Three months ago my sons grandpa passed away. This hit my son and me very hard. My son was inconsolable for many weeks and couldn’t really understand what it meant that he couldn’t see grandpa again. Grandpa was a carpenter (so was bf) so since very young age my son loved hanging with him in the garage “working”. Many time when he’s there he came home with something they made together. Butter knives, boxes , chessboards, and for my 38th birthday last summer I got a stool that my son designed himself and built with his grandpa and then painted. This was the last project they had together since grandpa passed away a few weeks later so the stool was priceless to us. We had it in the kitchen. Sd made alot of negative remarks about the stool, how ugly and poorly made it was. She laughed at my sons poor taste and he was very distraught. This was the first time however that my husband got very angry at her and asked her to go to her room. She was so scared of his reaction that she went without any protest.

This Christmas, sd was supposed to be with her mother. On Christmas Eve, her mother dropped her off at our house very early in the morning. Her new husband had decided he didn’t want her to go with them to his parents house, where they usually spend Christmas. Sd was on the verge of tears standing there listening to her mother making excuses to my husband and me. My husband hugged sd the whole time and I tried to fight away my tears. After her mom left she went upstairs to her room to sleep. I also went to sleep since we don’t usually wake up this early on holidays. My husband went to the gym and later he was going to the train station to bring my parents who were going to celebrate Christmas with us. Around 10am I heard my son screaming and crying downstairs. I ran down in horror. Sd had decided to break the stool my son had built with his grandpa. She was trying to shove it in the fireplace. When she saw me she smirked and said she didn’t want ugly furniture in her house. I pulled her away and told her to go to her room and tried to get the pieces of wood out of the fire place. that was when she threw a scolding hot liquid in my face. It was hot cocoa. I yelled in pain and my son started panicking so I ran to him to tell him that I was fine. Sd stood there laughing. I took my son upstairs and went back to her. I grabbed her hard in her arm and started pulling pushing and dragging her up to her room and locked the door. Husband came home with my parents moments later. My mom took me to the emergency room and my son insisted on coming with me. I had second degree burn on my cheek and neck.

When I went home my husband was so mad at me for assaulting sd by using force to get her to her room. He told me I should have had compassion knowing how hurt she was by her mother’s abandonment. I told him that I have had enough with this. I am living a nightmare 1/2 of my life. Having to go on eggshells in my own home whenever she’s around. My son is a prisoner in his own room when she’s living with us, too terrified to cross a boundary of hers. I told him that I didn’t know how to handle this and that it was a mistake from the beginning that I wasn’t allowed to be a parental figure in her life with authority. He disagreed and told me that she has a kind heart and needed patience but the thing is I don’t think she does. She targeted my sons handiwork fully aware of its sentimental value. And my face because she always hated the fact that My husband thinks I am beautiful and is open with complimenting my eyes and smile.

I didn’t stay there for Christmas. I took my son and parents and went to my parents home where I live now. My husband is in panic mode. He’s been texting and calling me all the time trying get me to move back and work things out. Sd even texted apologizing(he probably made her), but I don’t know what to do. I love him so much but I’m ashamed to say that I hate that girl. my son starts hyperventilating of the thought of living with her again. And what about my unborn baby? I feel sick of the thought of having 1/2 custody and being at the mercy of his half sister when it’s my husband’s week. This thought makes me want to have an abortion. Please tell me if there’s another solution to this hell I’m living

Update: tl;dr I have had enough of my stepdaughter so I moved back to my parents’ with my son

quote:

Hi everyone. I hope you enjoyed the holidays. I’m overwhelmed with the support I received from you. It helped a lot. I was literally losing my mind and wasn’t sure if it was wise of me to take these drastic measures.

I’m sorry I didn’t make an update. I just didn’t think I had anything to add plus these last weeks have been so hard, but I came here now to tell you that I have moved on with my plans. It’s just hard for me to talk about it since it was a planned pregnancy and both stbx and me were longing for him/her. It was also hard to see my stbx broken over my decision. He thinks I have acted so fast and can’t fathom how I could just “throw away” our life together so fast. I think he still doesn’t realize the severity of sd’s actions. He even had her with him when he visited me at my parents house the first time. He wanted us to “have a sit down”. when I saw her in the car I immediately told him to drive back. He was shocked however when he saw the dark scars on my face (they’ll fade away with time according to the doctor). I can’t help but blame myself though. It’s my fault that he thought this was a sudden decision. Had I been more honest and open with him he would’ve known this was hurting me and my boy for months now, years really. This blame will lie with me and me alone. I thought by keeping my mouth shut I would minimize the damage. How wrong I was!

Sd is living with her grandparents full time now and I think it’s going to be a permanent thing. Her stepdad is adamant about not having her around his children. I think this is so messed up on so many levels but I don’t know if I have a say in this. It’s her parents call even if I think it a grievous mistake. And I can’t say that I care either.

My boy is doing better. He loves living with my parents. He knows he will have to change school and he’s so scared about it but he still think it’s great that we moved. We started therapy. In one session the therapist tried to explain to him how sd is not feeling well and that she needed help. he got upset and told the therapist he didn’t agree with her. He told her sd isn’t the only one hurting. Many kids have bad parents and That he never knew his father and lost people he loved but still he wasn’t mean to his family. I cried for days after this. I am so sorry for what I put him through. I just want to spend the rest of my life making it up to him. My beautiful baby.

With omicron we’re back to working from home so it really doesn’t matter that I live 5h from work. I work in a bank and I have talked to my boss. She will help me apply to a nearer office.

I think I have covered everything. If anything major happens I will make a new update. Thank you again for the support. You helped more than you can imagine. Ciao

edit: we have rebuilt the stool. We couldn’t make it perfect and we had to patch it in many places and repaint it but we love it

Jesus, what a tragedy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

AITA for accommodating both my daughter's needs on only one of my daughter's birthday?

and has a wind-up personality

Sorry, every time I see this, it means "they're an insufferable poo poo who loves making other people miserable." How is this a "so I accommodate for her" thing instead of a "so I parent her better" thing?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

kimbo305 posted:

There's a big variety of Sichuan dishes, and some are spicy as a standard, and quite a few aren't.
It struck me as strange that, even though the wife picked out a place she really wanted to go to and presumably thought highly of, and tried to pick non-spicy dishes for OP , that they still ended up spicy. It'd be a gimmicky place that made everything uniformly spicy.

My local Sichuan place has a Chongqing Chicken that's basically the chicken and dried red peppers chopped up. To me, it could use a sauce, but the chicken pieces are salty, spicy bombs of intense flavor so I keep ordering it. I've only had their Spicy Pork Blood and Intestine once, so the details are a little blurry, but it's rings of intestine and gelatinous rectangles of pigs blood in a peppercorn/peppers broth that drat near had me hallucinating from both heat and flavor. The next time I have a cold I'm ordering that as a complete recovery in a bowl.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 14, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lemniscate Blue posted:

TL;DR: I have had enough of my stepdaughter so I moved back to my parents with my son. I’m also 8w pregnant and I don’t know know what to do

Update: tl;dr I have had enough of my stepdaughter so I moved back to my parents’ with my son

Jesus, what a tragedy.

I think she should have a talk with the girl's mother's partner and ask why he's so totally adamant the daughter isn't allowed anywhere near his kids either

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Pomme de Terror posted:

^That kid is gonna haaaaate that mom once they're old enough (the instagram one)^

AITA for agreeing to go to a restaurant that only serves spicy food when I can’t handle anything spicy?

Wow I know a guy just like this.

Every month my friends and I go out to this Sichuan restaurant. It's a very run-down joint with the usual signifiers of a good Asian restaurant, like kids doing homework in the backroom and a group of grandmas camped out in the parlor with tea and cigarettes. There is no English menu and none of the waiters speak English whatsoever. It's my favorite restaurant in the city and I give everyone a full warning when I send out the invites. I always tell them:

- Everything is spicy. It is a different spicy than hot Indian/Thai stuff, the Sichuan pepper is kind of numbing. There are very few non-spicy dishes.
- No one speaks English, nor is there an English menu.
- We order a pile of dishes communally, and eat everything together and split the bill. This is not the kind of place that would give a poo poo about your special requests or food intolerances or allergies. I'll order some of their least spicy stuff, which still might be spicy.

Like, I get it if you're vegan or hate spicy food or whatever, this is not your place and I can invite you out the next time we go somewhere that is more suitable for people with special restrictions or preferences.

I usually would invite my whole office out to this place with the same warnings, and EVERY time there is one guy who insists on going because his girlfriend goes. He has big Englishman Energy and hates 'foreign' food with a passion (we don't live in England). I warn him away but he is one of those guys that absolutely must be included in everything even if it is something he does not like.

So we go to the restaurant and he immediately begins wiping his face and freaking out about the spices in the air, which is understandable, because they are wafting everywhere, but he was warned. He will sulk, moan, whine, complain to the waiters (who don't understand him) that the food is inedible, and just cajole and beg them to make something 'suitable for everyone' like french fries or something. He will spend the entire meal nibbling on a few grains of white rice and ranting about his starvation while ignoring all the mild stuff because even a dose of black pepper will do this guy in. I have even seen him rejecting regular fried chicken from PopEyes (not the 'spicy') as way too hot. When we leave the restaurant his priority becomes trying to convince everyone to go to a bar that has proper food so he can get dinner instead of whatever late-nite spot we all picked next. He never succeeds.

He has done this once a month for YEARS.

He is absolutely terrible, but I keep inviting him because DECORUM (his girlfriend is cool) and because at this point it has now become an inside joke to all of the rest of us and we just get a whole ton of laughs about seeing him pull the same routine every month. Even the restaurant workers are now accustomed to him and the front-parlor grannies laugh openly when he walks in because they're gonna get a show of the giant bald white guy with a head like a boiled ham pacing around fanning himself and trying to earn an Oscar.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think she should have a talk with the girl's mother's partner and ask why he's so totally adamant the daughter isn't allowed anywhere near his kids either

Probably because stepdaughter is obviously evil op.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh most def.

But it's something her biological father really needs to have drilled into his head.

Would probably help OPs piece of mind, too to hear someone else say it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
kid didn't get that way on her own. Mum and Dad did that. Mum fought HARD for custody, didn't want OP involved in raising the stepdaughter, and presumably pushed stepdaughter in that direction. Kid was like 9 when OP and Dad got together, and presumably younger when her folks got divorced, and this after being brought up by a mother who by all accounts is a complete piece of poo poo. THEN, after several years of being mums Special Little Girl who Dad is barely even allowed to see, Mum marries an arsehole, gets pregnant again and rejects the stepdaughter. She's sent away, to live with people she has been conditioned to reject and distrust.

I'm not saying she's safe to be around, she clearly isn't, but she was made this way, and the adults in the situation need to take responsibility for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oh most def.

But it's something her biological father really needs to have drilled into his head.

Would probably help OPs piece of mind, too to hear someone else say it.

What do you even do if your kid is just an irredeemable piece of poo poo? Stick them them a cheap boarding school until you can cut contact when they turn 18?