Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Defenestrategy posted:

You're underestimating a lot of stuff, in combat sports or pro-wrestling your opponent isn't a perfectly balanced weight and moving optimally. Imagine doing HIIT weight training with a 200 pound, 6 foot cylinder of water, you'd probably die in a few minutes trying to go at a speed that would make pro-wrestling interesting. I've seen newer marathon athletes absolutely die in five minutes of BJJ and my fat rear end can roll at a decent clip for about thirty minutes.

To add to that, consider how tired you are after lifting a particularly heavy set, and how you need a break before doing another. Now make those weights a wriggly sack of meat that you're expected to throw around gracefully, and do like 100 reps of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i won't do any of that

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

What's wild is how I've never seen PAC gas out in a match, so either he's really good at hiding it or his cardio meter is broken.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

To add to that, consider how tired you are after lifting a particularly heavy set, and how you need a break before doing another. Now make those weights a wriggly sack of meat that you're expected to throw around gracefully, and do like 100 reps of it.

And that sack of meat is yourself.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CombineThresher posted:

What's wild is how I've never seen PAC gas out in a match, so either he's really good at hiding it or his cardio meter is broken.

Goblins have two sets of lungs

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Building the kind of cardio you need to be able to go in the ring is really hard. You have to do HIIT with barbells and explosive movements (CrossFit or something like it) plus you have to do longer, moderate intensity cardio (running, cycling, swimming, elliptical, etc) to build your Vo2 max.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Davros1 posted:

A lot of the "bodybuilder" types simply don't focus on cardio. With all the travel, if they can get a workout in, they're going to stick to workouts that target their looks, because in the case of WWE, that's all that matters to Vince.

Years ago (and I'm talking 20+) I remember an interview some WWF guys did about their workouts, and I think it was meant to be a joke for them to include Naked Mideon in it. But he talked about how his workout regime almost entirely consisted of cardio workouts. The thing that stuck with me all these years was he talked about how his gym buddy was Brian Christopher, and how Grand Master Sexay would always tease him for not hitting the weights like him and getting ripped like him. I remember Mideon's response being something like "And that's why [Christopher] is always injured" because those types of bodies aren't meant to take the abuse wrestlers take in the ring.

Kind of makes me think of former Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro. He got injured and decided to up his training and get super jacked. He was in amazing shape but he put on so much muscle that he lost a lot of flexibility and ended up getting hurt much worse. He had a ton of lower body injuries after that and was never really healthy again.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Why is the Stretch Muffler called the Stretch Muffler? What the hell does that mean?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ganso Bomb posted:

Why is the Stretch Muffler called the Stretch Muffler? What the hell does that mean?

You're "wearing" your opponent's leg like a muffler and stretching it, methinks

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Ganso Bomb posted:

Named after Dusty Rhodes?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CombineThresher posted:

PAC has been in insane condition since childhood. Supposedly the nickname "pac" is because he legit had 6-pack abs even when he was a kid.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are Bear Country bears, as in members of the gay bear subculture? Or are they just big lads

Edit: Like I noticed nobody seems to mention them as LGBT wrestlers

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

I’m going to guess Japan is to blame, because a scarf is often also called a マフラー or muffler over here. So you’re stretching somebody and wearing them like a scarf. Sure.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Are Bear Country bears, as in members of the gay bear subculture? Or are they just big lads

Just big lads as far as I know

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
People really underestimate how bright, hot, and intense pro lighting rigs are, they will drain you incredibly fast especially if you’re just someone who perspires a lot, I have no idea how Brock does it but I imagine that’s why his matches never top 20 minutes these days.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

harperdc posted:

I’m going to guess Japan is to blame, because a scarf is often also called a マフラー or muffler over here. So you’re stretching somebody and wearing them like a scarf. Sure.

Ohhh this explanation makes the most sense for me so far, and it'd make sense for it to be a slightly messed up version of something originating in Japan (like Rolling Elbow and Tope Con Hiro). Thanks!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They are just from upstate New York.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I have a question and it’s probably a dumb one - AEW has a booted roster of signed people they pay but don’t wrestle but dark and elevations are full of what is clearly jobber matches with no-namers who aren’t signed

Why not book dark and elevation with these people - bring more eyes to the web shows, they can be as long as they like as it’s online and everybody is used

Sure there’s an obvious reason I am missing

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Win/loss records for signed talent

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

Sure there’s an obvious reason I am missing

It's less expensive to fill a show with half AEW talent and half local indy talent instead of 100% contract dudes as well as being able to get a good look at current indy talent they may want to hire. Also as SG said, it helps protect the lower card from looking like complete mooks whose only job is to get run over by upper-card talent.

As much as I would like more time for all my boys stable to wrestle every week it wouldn't be interesting if they got the time losing all the time instead of resting or taking an indy booking instead.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dark can stay as-is because it's fun and light, but I'd really like if Elevation was mostly unranked signed talent in matches against each other. Last week's Dark that was taped at BotB is what Elevation should be now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
right now, as well, a lot of the people who aren't on tv are either in the process of returning/re-debuting or are about to have their contracts lapse

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What's the story behind the term "forbidden door"? All it does is make me think of The Scary Door from Futurama.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What's the story behind the term "forbidden door"? All it does is make me think of The Scary Door from Futurama.

It came from Tanahashi and Jericho's feud.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Tanahashi mentioned that if he beat Jericho at Wrestle Kingdom then he'd need to open the forbidden door & defend the AEW Championship against him. This was at a time when New Japan was especially pissy towards AEW & them working together seemed exceptionally unlikely.

And now suddenly it's used to refer to any time a guy from one company works for another company & the term has lost any meaning. Guys who got released by ROH turning up in Impact? FORBIDDEN DOOR IS OPENED.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

And then Tony Khan embraced the phrase in the most wonderful, dorkiest way possible, firmly entrenching the phrase in the lexicon.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
For awhile this forum was translating Tanahashi as saying the Forbidden Portal which is much cooler than Forbidden Door

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Future Jericho appearing from the Forbidden Portal, stating they have to team up to prevent Mecha Vince from obtaining immortality.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

It's less expensive to fill a show with half AEW talent and half local indy talent instead of 100% contract dudes as well as being able to get a good look at current indy talent they may want to hire. Also as SG said, it helps protect the lower card from looking like complete mooks whose only job is to get run over by upper-card talent.

As much as I would like more time for all my boys stable to wrestle every week it wouldn't be interesting if they got the time losing all the time instead of resting or taking an indy booking instead.

It's probably cost neutral to use local talent because AEW pays jobbers pretty well, maybe more than the cost of hotel and transportation for a roster talent who they are paying regardless if they wrestle or not.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

For awhile this forum was translating Tanahashi as saying the Forbidden Portal which is much cooler than Forbidden Door

I’m pretty sure NJPW’s own subtitles called it the forbidden portal when he first said it.

Edit:

News sites were also saying portal, and it seems like Jericho might have been the one to say door instead and that stuck I guess.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/chris-jericho-taps-out-hiroshi-tanahashi-njpw-wrestle-kingdom-14-forbidden-portal-shut?amp

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 14, 2022

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
https://istheforbiddenportalopen.com/

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Future Jericho appearing from the Forbidden Portal, stating they have to team up to prevent Mecha Vince from obtaining immortality.

Where we're going... we won't need wrestling rings.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

We're going to WCW Backstage Mayhem?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

"Haha, Chie's got too much energy, Excalibur, I love it!"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Deathlove posted:

"Haha, Chie's got too much energy, Excalibur, I love it!"

Look at Yunamon, Tropical Jones over here

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why is JBL in aew

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Lamuella posted:

Look at Yunamon, Tropical Jones over here

I didn't know I needed Dark commentary on ChocoPro, but now I'm gonna miss it :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I know Brock is pouring sweat and red as hell in 90 seconds but I never feel like he gets gassed in the ring.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah some people just look blown up and start sweating after any amount of exertion even if they aren't tired or dying the way they look. i dont personally know anyone like that just sayi ng it's normal. a lot of cool people have it happen as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'm getting mixed reports on whether the South African show Steve Blackman got so sick at in 89 was a WWF one or not, can you help me out?