Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Poil posted:

Counterpoint: The entire Dawnguard dlc takes place in the corners of the map, mostly focused on southeast and northwest.

Really depends on whether or not the carriages count as "fast travel" imo. Not having click-on-icon but still have carriages would be fairly reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The worst fast travel is in Enter the Gungeon, you could just warp to a teleport point at any point from anywhere in the map with no real good mechanical or narrative reason

Relatedly, I just starting to trying to crack into EtG and I can't tell if I'm in that period of hating the game because I'm bad at it or hating the game because it's bad. Edit: More directly on the subject of map traversal, the one-way doors blocking chest rooms feel incredibly bizarre because 99% of the time I have no reason to open them once I'm done, I just teleport away. The maps just never generate in a way where it's necessary to path through that way.

site posted:

i mean i'm pretty sure arkane didn't create those huge levels and populate them with a bunch of poo poo for you to collect with the intent that you were supposed to ignore them

99% of the time the reason I like having a waypoint in a game is so I can pointedly avoid stumbling into a scripted sequence or some similar contrivance that locks me out of the actually fun parts of the game, which is exploring and rooting around for side poo poo.

Though also I kinda hate how people take this all or nothing stance when it comes to navigational aids. People treat every compass blip/directional arrow as if the game is literally holding your hand and walking you through each and every minute step of the process and not just giving you a general heads up of where to consider looking for the bad man you need to stab. It *can* be done poorly (Bethesda often does a poo poo job of making key items stand out beyond pointing at them, for instance) but even the most mild "hey look over thataways" hint gets people frothing about how everything's been dumbed down for console kiddies.

Of course the real issue is that games regularly do a loving awful job with visual hierarchy and with too many cooks in the kitchen you get disconnected priorities so map designer A ends up being worried about making something that looks pretty only for mission designer B to be hamstrung because what their design actually needed was clear, guiding light sources rather than mood lighting.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 11, 2022

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
dirt 5 took me a little while to learn how to actually start couch co-op though and it turns out i needed the other user to start the game from their dashboard and play the tutorial by themselves first

they already had an account on my ps4 for diablo 3 co-op so not sure if a "guest" would still have to play the tutorial or not

the game doesnt tell you any of this so it's weird and just looks like the "press to join" button isn't working.

but once that got straightened out def recommend

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/koirakoirana/status/1480972844121137160?t=_7JWAvImVQsIK1WWCTBLcQ&s=19

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol nintendo developing Mario Kart 9 and guaranteed to stick to their guns of "a new game in our franchises needs to be innovative and bring something fresh to the table" on F-Zero

edit: also I just did the Former fight in Control and fell through the floor like 8 times because I haven't played in a while and forgot that she can levitate. Limited levitation mechanics are fun and should be around more.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 12, 2022

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
76 is the best and I wont elaborate

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

elaborate on that 8-pack instead then

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Kablooey posted:

elaborate on that 8-pack instead then

Burger and Snake, locked in an endless battle.

A struggle without end.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's unpopular videogame opinions and then there's cause to check for a traumatic brain injury.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Caesar orders me to remove my fallout 76 limited edition power armor helmet & I'm wearing a Confederate hat underneath. Everyone in the wasteland groans at my poo poo

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Random Stranger posted:

There's unpopular videogame opinions and then there's cause to check for a traumatic brain injury.

I mean he is spot on about 1 and 2.
Fake edit: and about 4.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Random Stranger posted:

that can't be real

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Meme Poker Party posted:

76 is the best and I wont elaborate

The most apparent thread title I ever done seen

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That is perhaps a legitimate complaint about getting NV working in the first place, and he's not wrong about FO1&2. No comment about the rest of that.

vvvv smarmy loving rear end in a top hat, because I haven't played them you troglodyte.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 14, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Serephina posted:

That is perhaps a legitimate complaint about getting NV working in the first place, and he's not wrong about FO1&2. No comment about the rest of that.

A follow up “I won’t elaborate”

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah that post is like something a mutant would say

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Caesar orders me to remove my fallout 76 limited edition power armor helmet & I'm wearing a Confederate hat underneath. Everyone in the wasteland groans at my poo poo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

A follow up “I won’t elaborate”

i wont elaborate sounds like a response option in fallout 4 so im surprised it isn't rated more generously

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got Fallout76 as the pack in game with my xbox and I played it to, uh, not even out of the tutorial because boy that games not for me.

Sadly based on objective measure of how far I got in each

Fallout 3 (only one finished)
Tactics
New Vegas (had all my 40 hour save files all be rendered unuseable due to bug)
Brotherhood of Steel

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Barudak posted:

Is that unpopular? The loading screen placement in the hotel alone is a solid mark against the game.

It seems like an unpopular opinion? It brought out a visceral hatred in me, pertinacious from the first minute in and just seemed to get worse as the game went on. Apparently it does some clever things but after two hours I was very done with the game.

I had avoided watching any playthroughs because I didn't want spoilers because it sounded like it did some really amazing things and holy poo poo was that a mistake. Never gonna do that again, even if I've heard a game is super amazing and has the secrets of the universe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So as a person let down by Disco Elysium, this is my defense of it.

Disco Elysium demonstrated that for a lot of people calling a game an RPG without combat instead of a "Virtual Novel" is all it takes to get them into virtual novels and that the market for virtual novels is bigger than led to believe.

Otherwise Disco Elysium has a lot of issues mechanically and narratively and where both of those things meet that kept me from saying it was a good game for me. It doesn't help that the game seems oblivious to the possibility someone may play like I and my friends did.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Barudak posted:

So as a person let down by Disco Elysium, this is my defense of it.

Disco Elysium demonstrated that for a lot of people calling a game an RPG without combat instead of a "Virtual Novel" is all it takes to get them into virtual novels and that the market for virtual novels is bigger than led to believe.

Otherwise Disco Elysium has a lot of issues mechanically and narratively and where both of those things meet that kept me from saying it was a good game for me. It doesn't help that the game seems oblivious to the possibility someone may play like I and my friends did.

Sunless Sea has issues but I really enjoyed it and it got me playing the web game. I had initially dismissed it because it sounded like a pretentious Lovecraftian horror attempt by game's description the and the screenshots/movies didn't move me. Then I watched people play it (badly) and what wowed me was the fact that your character generation was based off your backstory and you even got to set your own win condition for the game. If they had focused on that instead of the stupid "go mad, eat your crew" tagline I probably would have picked it up a lot earlier.

It's hardly perfect but does the virtual novel thing a lot better, and it helps that the novel sections are.... actually formatted like a novel? The only things I took away from DE was "Here's what not to do, ever".

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
what is a "virtual" novel

also, what is it with this recent trend of calling anything with no combat a VN. has no one heard of adventure games

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the term "visual novel" is a good way to distinguish whether someone is talking about an anime game so you can avoid it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

what is a "virtual" novel

also, what is it with this recent trend of calling anything with no combat a VN. has no one heard of adventure games

Ah poo poo I wrote virtual not visual.

This is me talking out my backside, but to me Adventure Games have puzzles that you can fail to solve and wont progress until you do, VNs don't. The only way to die/game over in Disco Elysium is to run out of health/money (only early game), otherwise it will re-rail you and let you continue no matter what you do.

So like, to me, Lacuna is a Visual Novel, Ace Attorney is an Adventure Game

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

drugs too

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

New Vegas (had all my 40 hour save files all be rendered unuseable due to bug)

that's the secret ending

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Ah poo poo I wrote virtual not visual.

This is me talking out my backside, but to me Adventure Games have puzzles that you can fail to solve and wont progress until you do, VNs don't. The only way to die/game over in Disco Elysium is to run out of health/money (only early game), otherwise it will re-rail you and let you continue no matter what you do.

So like, to me, Lacuna is a Visual Novel, Ace Attorney is an Adventure Game

so what is monkey island

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

so what is monkey island

Ive never played past the opening but my understanding is unless you solve the puzzles "correctly" the narrative stops, so its an adventure game.

Edit: Hrm, I appear to own the first two of them. Guess Ill fire em up and see

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 14, 2022

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Disco Elysium is as close as you can get to a true role playing game without combat and i hope they make an offshoot that uses the same system with combat because it'd be incredibly fun

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Edit: Hrm, I appear to own the first two of them. Guess Ill fire em up and see

monkey island is really fun, except when it's being unnecessarily obtuse on purpose. just like phoenix wright!

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

so what is monkey island

*old man voice*
Baaaaack in my day, "Adventure Games" were ALL TEXT. I played "Adventure Island" on a Vic-20 with a two-word parser that could barely understand a dang thing! Then they started adding them new-fangled graphical thingies....

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

abigserve posted:

Disco Elysium is as close as you can get to a true role playing game without combat and i hope they make an offshoot that uses the same system with combat because it'd be incredibly fun

I think combat would have made that game way worse.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Back to the bad Disco Elysium analogies. It's like a car but instead of steering wheel you have inner monologue with different aspects of your personality. Also the car is old.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Fallout 4 is pretty great, but its wrapped in poo poo. The main story? loving horse poo poo. The radiant quests? poo poo, but patched to be better at least Levelling system? Flawed as poo poo. Dialogue system? Clown poo poo.

But played as a post-apocalyptic arcade exploration game where you wonder where ever looks interesting and enjoy the stories and set pieces of individual areas and dungeons, it's a loving blast.

Most people fans of the series won't play it that way on there first attempt at least. I reluctantly played it a third time that way starting in November and I had a riot. Didn't touch the stiff I didn't like until the last few days of play.

This, by the way, is how most regular people play Bethesda games, and it made me realise what a dour nerd I sound like when I scoff at Skyrim or whatever.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Disco Pope posted:

Fallout 4 is pretty great, but its wrapped in poo poo. The main story? loving horse poo poo. The radiant quests? poo poo, but patched to be better at least Levelling system? Flawed as poo poo. Dialogue system? Clown poo poo.

But played as a post-apocalyptic arcade exploration game where you wonder where ever looks interesting and enjoy the stories and set pieces of individual areas and dungeons, it's a loving blast.

Most people fans of the series won't play it that way on there first attempt at least. I reluctantly played it a third time that way starting in November and I had a riot. Didn't touch the stiff I didn't like until the last few days of play.

This, by the way, is how most regular people play Bethesda games, and it made me realise what a dour nerd I sound like when I scoff at Skyrim or whatever.

Morrowind will always be the best Bethesda game for the simple fact the first quest of the main story (walking to the nearest town and talking to a guy) ends with said guy telling you that the main story isn’t that important or immediately pressing, and you honestly shouldn’t play it right now. He gives you twenty dollars, and shoos you out the door.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Smik posted:

Sunless Sea has issues but I really enjoyed it and it got me playing the web game. I had initially dismissed it because it sounded like a pretentious Lovecraftian horror attempt by game's description the and the screenshots/movies didn't move me. Then I watched people play it (badly) and what wowed me was the fact that your character generation was based off your backstory and you even got to set your own win condition for the game. If they had focused on that instead of the stupid "go mad, eat your crew" tagline I probably would have picked it up a lot earlier.

It's hardly perfect but does the virtual novel thing a lot better, and it helps that the novel sections are.... actually formatted like a novel? The only things I took away from DE was "Here's what not to do, ever".

I tried out the web game and it was pretty interesting to begin with but quickly got annoyingly grindy.
Yes I would love to log in and spend my 10 daily actions on "get 0.25 of a level in X stat" so in a week i'll be able to pass the check to continue the storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Also he's a shirtless drug addict old man, which is funny.