Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Polling companies should be legally forced to put not intending to vote/none of the above numbers as actual parties in their headlines.

I saw a poll the other week that put Labour ahead, but a sankey diagram showed that it was just due to tories moving to ‘don’t know / wouldn’t vote’. With a new leader I am sure they’ll all go back to the tories, so I don’t think this is a Labour actually ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Polling companies should be legally forced to put not intending to vote/none of the above numbers as actual parties in their headlines.

Yougov calls the figures re-weighted after dropping not intending to vote/don't know their 'headline figure', appropriately enough

e.g., that Yougov poll here: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/13/voting-intention-con-28-lab-38-11-12-jan

Would not vote/Don't know/Refused is 12+21+3=36%, pushing CON down to 18% (from 28) and LAB down to 25% (from 38) in the full figure. This is not really different from the previous polling cycle, which was 35.

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 14, 2022

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Not to be "woe is me", but: wife's grandpa passed away 22nd December (expected, was 94 with ever-worsening dementia for the past year). Funeral's today. Didn't want to buy train tickets until last minute in case anyone involved got COVID & the thing got cancelled. Went on site yesterday, said there were limited tickets available, even with our 2 together Railcard paid £165 for two return tickets to Swansea from Paddington, on a Thursday night. There were about 20 people on the entire train:

Bloody crooks! Probably could have flown to Cardiff cheaper.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mourning Due posted:

Not to be "woe is me", but: wife's grandpa passed away 22nd December (expected, was 94 with ever-worsening dementia for the past year). Funeral's today. Didn't want to buy train tickets until last minute in case anyone involved got COVID & the thing got cancelled. Went on site yesterday, said there were limited tickets available, even with our 2 together Railcard paid £165 for two return tickets to Swansea from Paddington, on a Thursday night. There were about 20 people on the entire train:

Condolences mate.

But also nice username:post combo.

But also, as a genuine question to thread - why do UK funerals happen weeks later whereas Irish funerals happen within 3days? I feel like there was some effort post about this ages ago but I don't recall

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mourning Due posted:

You certainly could have rented a car. I just hired one from Luton airport from tomorrow for 3 days for 70 quid

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mourning Due posted:

Once a year I go and see my sister in glasgow (from the opposite end of the UK). The train is often 3 times more expensive than flying and takes 9 hours compared to a 1 hour flight.

Do trains cost that much because traditionally people didn't have a choice and they just haven't changed it?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Failed Imagineer posted:

Condolences mate.

But also nice username:post combo.

But also, as a genuine question to thread - why do UK funerals happen weeks later whereas Irish funerals happen within 3days? I feel like there was some effort post about this ages ago but I don't recall

As a half Welsh part Irish person who lives in England I've always just assumed it was because Irish traditionally keep the body in the house so you want to get the wake and funeral sorted as quickly as possible before it starts stinking up the joint. whereas British people don't do wakes because celebration and joy in religious rites are a sign of popery, and as the body is in a funeral home or whatever you can spend more time organising a funeral on a day that's convenient for everyone without worrying about your living room smelling of Nan's corpse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you can't drive and you're not going anywhere near an airport your choice is still three hour train or seven hour coach journey.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jippa posted:

Do trains cost that much because traditionally people didn't have a choice and they just haven't changed it?

It's just privatisation

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21056703

E: apologies for the old article, but I'm gonna assume the trend has not reversed

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

a pipe smoking dog posted:

As a half Welsh part Irish person who lives in England I've always just assumed it was because Irish traditionally keep the body in the house so you want to get the wake and funeral sorted as quickly as possible before it starts stinking up the joint. whereas British people don't do wakes because celebration and joy in religious rites are a sign of popery, and as the body is in a funeral home or whatever you can spend more time organising a funeral on a day that's convenient for everyone without worrying about your living room smelling of Nan's corpse.

British people don't do wakes? What? Every funeral I've ever been to has had a wake.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can't even die these days without the wake mob turning up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aphex- posted:

British people don't do wakes? What? Every funeral I've ever been to has had a wake.

I think they mean in the traditional sense where everyone has a pissup/cry next to the body itself.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aphex- posted:

I've never been to a funeral that had a wake. It's very unpresbyterian to enjoy things

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pretty much all bodies get embalmed (no stink) and bringing the body home from getting embalmed is now part of the whole funeral process (for catholics at least).

It's a bloody hectic three days for the family involved and any decent funeral home here in N.I. speeds the process along in the house as smoothly as possible.

From my own experience you get carried along by it all and don't really start grieving till the actual funeral and then once again when everyone
else apart from family have gone.

edit: I'm in Northern Ireland (ex catholic) and have never been to a wake that had booze, maybe that works where nobody has to drive. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 14, 2022

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
No viking long boat funeral fire?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Aphex- posted:

I mean like with the body in the living room, not a spread at the pub.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
In Ireland we differentiate between "wakes" and "removals" where you just awkwardly go and look at the body for a bit. Dunno how it works in the UK but it seems categorically incorrect to call it a wake unless you're chilling with the body in the room having a few jars

E: vvvvv that's just a reception, wake after a funeral? getouttahere

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 14, 2022

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I mean like with the body in the living room, not a spread at the pub.

Every one I've been to you have the funeral first, body is buried/burned whatever then the wake is usually back at the family's house where everyone gets drunk.

E: maybe we've just been calling the pissup after the funeral a wake when it isn't one? I dunno

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

In Ireland we differentiate between "wakes" and "removals" where you just awkwardly go and look at that body for a bit. Dunno how it works in the UK but it seems categorically incorrect to call it a wake unless you're chilling with the body in the room having a few jars

E: vvvvv that's just a reception, wake after a funeral? getouttahere

Must be a big loving room lad. lol

And don't get me started on carrying coffins up and down stairs. :rolleyes:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Aphex- posted:

Every one I've been to you have the funeral first, body is buried/burned whatever then the wake is usually back at the family's house where everyone gets drunk.

E: maybe we've just been calling the pissup after the funeral a wake when it isn't one? I dunno

Yeah a wake happens the night before a funeral. I think the original concept was that you are staying awake to protect the dead before the funeral.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Failed Imagineer posted:

wake after a funeral? getouttahere

I always assumed that it was normal that the wake was something that came after, like the wake of a boat. "In the wake of..." as something that follows something else.

etymology is fun!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

And don't get me started on carrying coffins up and down stairs. :rolleyes:

Suppose that's why people had a coffin hatch

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Yeah a wake happens the night before a funeral. I think the original concept was that you are staying awake to protect the dead before the funeral.

Yep, you don't get too many people other than the older generation sitting and chatting the night away these days.

I've sat for my parents and granny but bugger doing that for every one with todays work schedules.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Different country, different traditions..... and bigger loving houses by the looks of it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kecske posted:

I always assumed that it was normal that the wake was something that came after, like the wake of a boat. "In the wake of..." as something that follows something else.

etymology is fun!

Wake as in waking up from sleep.

Wake, funeral, food.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aphex- posted:

Yeah, that's deffo a reception in these parts.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/minute5072/status/1481762503822610433

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Wakes before the funeral is something the scouse side of my family does and it always seemed weird and awkward to me. I'm quite glad we haven't kept that tradition.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just use the furniture hoist

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

First, they came for the statues, but I did not speak out, for I was not a statue.

Then, they came for the Midget Gems, but I did not speak out, for I was not a Midget Gem.

Then, they came for [INVALID REFERENCE], but I did not speak out, for I was not [INVALID REFERENCE]

It's political correctness gone mad. Unbelievable

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Normal for norfolk :v:

Clarence
May 3, 2012

My mum passed away in August last year. Mid 80s, in a nursing home with vascular dementia. I hadn't been able to see her for more than a year and a half. Must have been too busy going to parties or something...

Anyway, in England the funeral cannot be arranged without having the death certificate. The death certificate is obtained by notifying the council of the death, and must legally take place within ten days of death. Because of the covids the in-person notification is stopped and it happens over the phone (maybe that's changed now?).
So I go to arrange an appointment for the call ASAP so we can get on with the arrangements. Except there is nothing available within ten days. I call the registrars gently inquiring about not being able to do what I'm legally required to and they're just "don't worry about it". Registrar call happened after about 12 days after death and the funeral eventually happened 18 days after death.

TL;DR Bureaucracy

Don't ask me about trying to sort out probate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Just use the furniture hoist

The Swedes used a flatpack.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Another factor that my partner's mother, who is a funeral director in England, cites is that there's just less funeral homes and more people who need to be buried in general. This creates a bit of a backlog. Compare that to Ireland where nearly every town has a pub/funeral home combo.

I've said to my partner now I'm living here to not even bother putting me through the system if I die and just send me back to Ireland. Regardless of cause, it is unreasonably long to expect a family to wait 3 weeks to a month to bury someone. I just find it disrespectful to the deceased to wait that long, but that's the Irish in me I guess.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Skull Servant posted:

I just find it disrespectful to the deceased to wait that long, but that's the Irish in me I guess.

They're not going anywhere.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Just Another Lurker posted:

Pretty much all bodies get embalmed (no stink) and bringing the body home from getting embalmed is now part of the whole funeral process (for catholics at least).

Anglican/Protestant English wakes are normally after the funeral because we don't have much body-viewing (or embalming for that matter). I have seen the bodies of my immediate family members only and would definitely balk at seeing the corpse of anyone I had a less strong bond with. Embalming also seems ghastly to me.

But we definitely don't traditionally wait 3 weeks for a funeral - I am old and can remember when waiting 2 weeks caused some consternation. It's bureaucracy and families being more spread around the country, or world, that causes the delay.

Our wakes can be great though.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rtu1Va-dnM

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They're not going anywhere.

That's... Not the point? The deceased is more often than not a person that someone cared for, was friends with, a family member, ect. Having them locked in a fridge for weeks on end is not respectful for their life and not respectful for the people who want to put their loved one to rest.

Obviously, there are going to be instances where funerals have to be delayed for inquires or due to backlogs caused by international pandemics. However, these longer periods between death and burial should be an exception and not the rule.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

Another factor that my partner's mother, who is a funeral director in England, cites is that there's just less funeral homes and more people who need to be buried in general. This creates a bit of a backlog. Compare that to Ireland where nearly every town has a pub/funeral home combo.

I've said to my partner now I'm living here to not even bother putting me through the system if I die and just send me back to Ireland. Regardless of cause, it is unreasonably long to expect a family to wait 3 weeks to a month to bury someone. I just find it disrespectful to the deceased to wait that long, but that's the Irish in me I guess.

Most towns in Northern Ireland have two funeral homes; one for catholics, one for protestants... what a country. :rolleyes:

When i'm dead i'm fairly sure i'll be well past caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I haven't given any thought about what happens to me when I'm gone, and that's because I literally don't care. I'll just be a lump of stringy decaying meat, and I don't want to impose a multi thousand pound barbeque bill on anyone . I'm not part of any family unit and my friends are scattered far and wide, so I don't expect any ceremony.

The only promise I've made is to my cat in that he can have first dibs on my flesh.