Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is funny/depressing that both our governments seem to be doing basically the same thing so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
They've really got the whole "Jim up the road can let HIS van drivers take less rests" thing going.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

It is funny/depressing that both our governments seem to be doing basically the same thing so often.

"I didn't realize I was at work" is actually written above the door of the Dáil bar except I guess Johnson said the opposite

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bedshaped posted:

"I didn't realize I was at work" is actually written above the door of the Dáil bar except I guess Johnson said the opposite

God what a galling statement for that location. Guinness Macht Frei

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

gently caress this stupid country and gently caress Tullamore in particular

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's all very grim

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I work in Tullamore and it was grim for the whole day.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I know social media is a cesspit at the best of times, but over the last two days it has been so much worse.

After a suspect was arrested on Wednesday, all manner of details about him were found their way online.
Photos of him, his name, his address, details of previous convictions. There was a lot of stuff that appeared and judgment cast (which really defaulted to "what sort of punishment is suitable for him.")

Oh yeah and lot's of discussion about where he was originally from.

Then I see people saying "he was out on bail when this happened. This is why we need to change the bail laws."

Then last night the guards announced that he is being released without charge and that he isn't a suspect. (Which from my experience is a very rare thing to ever have happen.)

And the response to a this has been a mixture of "maybe we rushed to judgment a bit quickly" to people doubling down and saying the equivalent of "yeah but he has form for this type of thing, so we are right to be angry at him."

Chilling stuff.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
sounds a lot like the Jed Foster case, cops just rolling up on the nearest convenient minority petty criminal and making sure his face was in all the papers to look like they're doing something
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/19/charges-dropped-against-man-accused-of-pc-andrew-harper
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/25/man-wrongly-detained-over-of-pc-harper-to-sue-police

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 14, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

gonadic io posted:

sounds a lot like the Jed Foster case, cops just rolling up on the nearest convenient minority petty criminal and making sure his face was in all the papers to look like they're doing something
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/19/charges-dropped-against-man-accused-of-pc-andrew-harper
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/25/man-wrongly-detained-over-of-pc-harper-to-sue-police

Isn't this why the Japanese police have like a 100% rate of solving crimes and getting convictions?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Sounds like the guards just picked up the nearest non-national who might have been drinking by the canal on a sunny day.
Not even sure now if he was drinking or if that was just more rumour mongering.

Can't figure out why else they'd pick him out of everyone on the canal at that time. It is a very busy walkway, my dad would have been walking the dogs back that way less than an hour before the murder happened. Easily would have been loads of available suspects they could have picked up, only difference between them and him is he was Romanian, and possibly drinking.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I decided to re-read the stories of the arrest as I thought the suspect was arrested at the scene of the crime immediately after the assault.
And while the stories made it seek that way, it wasn't quite. Supposedly the attacker was discovered in the middle of the attack and fled.
Two witnesses saw what happened but they were on the other side of the canal at the time and couldn't get to the deceased.
It's being reported that the arrest was due to "mistaken identity. "

Now that could be due to a guard deciding that X must have done this with little to no evidence and arrested this man.
Or they could have gotten a description from these witnesses that was light on concrete details.
(Say the witnesses were two elderly people who said "the attacker was foreign" and not much else.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Seems like there's a new suspect, who's now in hospital

https://twitter.com/KevDoyle_Indo/status/1482011620440088576?t=NPgkDJSuOrfW2eruwP9VZw&s=19

So it's up for grabs whether he tried to off himself, got battered by some local, or injured by Gardaī/resisting arrest

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
At the vigil, 1000 or so here. Music and Poetry and a lot of people being respectful.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

PowerBeard posted:

At the vigil, 1000 or so here. Music and Poetry and a lot of people being respectful.

I can't bring myself to go to any more vigils for murdered women. Some guys in college today were talking about how disgusting the whole thing is, and I just very matter-of-fact told them that this is everyday for women and it never changes and it never will. This is what we're permanently afraid of, and it doesn't get any better or easier or more tolerable. It gets more frightening, and you don't get change; all you get is misplaced advice and 'thoughts and prayers'.

Fuckit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Seems like there's a new suspect, who's now in hospital

https://twitter.com/KevDoyle_Indo/status/1482011620440088576?t=NPgkDJSuOrfW2eruwP9VZw&s=19

So it's up for grabs whether he tried to off himself, got battered by some local, or injured by Gardaī/resisting arrest

Or some local vigilante group decided "it must be this guy" and put him in the hospital, so now the guards are interviewing him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Well that would be "battered by a local".

Anyway, didn't go to vigil, never sure in these circumstances if male allyship outweighs the intrusion into female expression of outrage, so I just left it be. Nice email went round from HR offering support services, which is tokenistic but better than zero I suppose

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The crowds were a mix of women, young families with young girls, older parents and a small portion of 20-30's males.

Already seeing people reacting to Newstalks "What should men do about this?" with filled with "actually... "

Just :fuckoff: for once.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Question IRL posted:

Now that could be due to a guard deciding that X must have done this with little to no evidence and arrested this man.
Or they could have gotten a description from these witnesses that was light on concrete details.
(Say the witnesses were two elderly people who said "the attacker was foreign" and not much else.)

They were at the very least able to describe the mountain bike he escaped on in great detail

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
There's CCTV footage of a swarthy gentleman on a bike as described.

Maybe their thought process is that if it wasn't the Romanian in the area then it must be the Arab fella who was cycling through. Don't remember any mention of a bike previous to their new lead.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Irish society seems to be taking this murder very poorly.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The victim was Irish, not Mongolian.

Yes we are just that poo poo as a country.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

The victim was Irish, not Mongolian.

Yes we are just that poo poo as a country.

The difficulty with that case was the accused was a 15 year old boy at the time. And I think that factor prevented the sort of social media frenzy we are seeing this time around. Like there is a large undercurrent of blood thirst in the Irish population that wants to unload on someone for killing another. I think we are just seeing it letting lose in a way they couldn't in Urantsetseg Tserendorj case.
Like if you look at the similar case from 2018 (Jastine Valdez) there was very little outcry over the Guards shooting dead Mark Hennessy in suspect circumstance.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Someone was beaten to death by her partner one town over on Christmas Eve, but they were both Jordanian so the country just shrugged it off

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
That poor girl jesus christ

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

A good story from the Offaly Express about the man wrongly detained over Ashling's killing.

https://twitter.com/gearoid1keegan/status/1482143109920313345?t=khbNTHwes4tq5Wv3LEAFnQ&s=19

The fact that he was arrested for matching "a description of the male at the scene" leads me to suspect the witnesses described the suspect as "Romanian looking" or something along those lines.
It's a small miracle that there was an amount of exculpatory evidence to clear him. A lot of innocent people have gone down because they fit the profile in the minds of investigators and didn't have the luck for there to be CCTV or phone records to back them out. This was one of the few times were talking in police detention was the right call.

The part about his sister I never knew, and it's pretty scandalous itself.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

The difficulty with that case was the accused was a 15 year old boy at the time. And I think that factor prevented the sort of social media frenzy we are seeing this time around. Like there is a large undercurrent of blood thirst in the Irish population that wants to unload on someone for killing another. I think we are just seeing it letting lose in a way they couldn't in Urantsetseg Tserendorj case.
Like if you look at the similar case from 2018 (Jastine Valdez) there was very little outcry over the Guards shooting dead Mark Hennessy in suspect circumstance.
There's a relationship between the Irish public's enjoyment of police brutality and the Irish public's racism, but it'd be a mistake to assume that being happy about Mark Hennessy getting shot means they gave a poo poo about Justine Valdez.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Arquinsiel posted:

There's a relationship between the Irish public's enjoyment of police brutality and the Irish public's racism, but it'd be a mistake to assume that being happy about Mark Hennessy getting shot means they gave a poo poo about Justine Valdez.

The Irish people are howling bloodthirsty animals and more death (of preferably travellers, foreigners, the working class) is what is longed for. I've posted about the mark hennessy case before, poo poo its about a year since then because those posts were in relationship to the AGS murder of George Nkencho. The same social media accounts that are currently calling for rapturous blood sacrifice stayed pretty quiet about Nkenchos murder. Posted something half hearted about mental health maybe. I genuinely used to believe the Irish weren't racist in the same way as your typical white englander or american, and I think they weren't, there was a naiveté. But that was 20 years ago and years of american and british propaganda and money worship has turned Ireland into a half hearted but still white supremacist state.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're not wrong there.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

The Question IRL posted:

The fact that he was arrested for matching "a description of the male at the scene" leads me to suspect the witnesses described the suspect as "Romanian looking" or something along those lines.

Afaik the description was shaved head, bearded foreigner with dark eyes. This fella had blue eyes but it didn't seem to matter.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
How can you identify somebody's eye colour from across a canal? Maybe I'm just blinder than I think but that seems improbable

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
That's probably why the guards didn't care he had blue eyes. I'm sure all eyes look dark from a distance.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Limerick Irish... Men's...Rosary (??)

https://twitter.com/RosaLimerick/status/1482405043966193666?t=QYigRTaDTM5LK5q62e8MHQ&s=19

What a country, what a county

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what on earth is happening there

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The fash is what happened. Apparently this lot was the Irish Freedom Party specifically.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wow, what massive assholes, trying to pull the "Is there anything to be said for a good mass? " in real life. I hope they lose funding and support for poo poo like this.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
What is a Rosary in this context?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Shoehead posted:

What is a Rosary in this context?

1 Our Father, 8 Hail Marys and that other weird prayer I forget the name of each time and just mumble along to it when it comes up during burials. Rosary Beads have 8 coloured beads and a black bead either side to help you count along.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There's been more of those Rosary Rallies in the last 6 months or so I think after someone in Human Life International saw some videos from the not at all charged men's rosary displays against secularism in Poland and thought "this is a great idea". Stumbled across one up here in the North last year and it was very weird. It's the same crowd that's behind all those HOLY FACE billboards but again that maybe a regional thing.

Also big uptake Our Lady of Fatima stuff which I think is thanks to our offshoot of Tradition, Family, Property (those numpties who wear the little cloaks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I thought the weirdest group I saw were that American crowd that came over during the Appeal the 8th vote dressed in red suits and waving a giant red flag on a stick that obstructed traffic lights, blowing a trumpet and calling on the Oirish to fight for the lives of the unborn. They thought they were knights of God.