Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Looks like Sweden’s chief epidemiologist is considering relaxing the state’s stance on Covid once the current Omicron peak has passed.

The rationale is that enough of the population is vaccinated, and consequences are mild enough for those vaccinated, that the epidemic will no longer be a danger to society.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/tegnell-sa-kan-reglerna-andras

In essence, they would remove quarantine mandates and just call it another strain of the flu.

There’s a lot of political pressure from the right to do this mindset shift now. They understand by now that the vaccine passes and boosters don’t prevent spread, and the right wing hates all the other NPIs because they cause economic losses.

Nothing seems to have been decided yet so I’m sure this is just a test balloon floating by.

In a population with 60% vaccinated, I’m sure the calculus works out differently. It would be straight up murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We just established that “vaccine passes and boosters don’t prevent spread”.

Being that that is so, the fraction of the population that is vaccinated doesn’t change the morality of the situation. In the absence of true herd immunity, everyone will be exposed to a deadly virus. Those who mount good immune responses will survive. Those who do not will perish.

It’s not straight up murder because it is worse. It is eugenics.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Looks like Sweden’s chief epidemiologist is considering relaxing the state’s stance on Covid once the current Omicron peak has passed.

The rationale is that enough of the population is vaccinated, and consequences are mild enough for those vaccinated, that the epidemic will no longer be a danger to society.

In essence, they would remove quarantine mandates and just call it another strain of the flu.

There’s a lot of political pressure from the right to do this mindset shift now. They understand by now that the vaccine passes and boosters don’t prevent spread, and the right wing hates all the other NPIs because they cause economic losses.

Nothing seems to have been decided yet so I’m sure this is just a test balloon floating by.

In a population with 60% vaccinated, I’m sure the calculus works out differently. It would be straight up murder.

God if it’s coming from Tegnell, I immediately know to not trust him. Especially if the right wants to speedrun it in.

Weird how those rules can be shifted and yet others for more preventative measures cannot.

Hopefully the wait time on boosters is shortened by a month because goddamn jab me jab me jab me

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If governments are giving up they should at least give free n95 masks to immunocompromised people or children that can't take vaccines.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mu Zeta posted:

If governments are giving up they should at least give free n95 masks to immunocompromised people or children that can't take vaccines.

Oh no, Sweden is still firmly in “surgical masks are the best we can do” territory. Every time I’ve brought up FFP2 masks in conversation, people have not even known what that means. And these are educated people! You’re practicing wishful thinking there.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

governments gave up a long time ago, friend.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Oh no, Sweden is still firmly in “surgical masks are the best we can do” territory. Every time I’ve brought up FFP2 masks in conversation, people have not even known what that means. And these are educated people! You’re practicing wishful thinking there.

I’m lucky in Sörmland if we have “surgical masks are the best we can do”, I’d say it’s ten percent masking at best. Glad I bought auras in the US before the rush. We screwed the pooch on something so simple so early on and here we are now.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

teen witch posted:

I’m lucky in Sörmland if we have “surgical masks are the best we can do”, I’d say it’s ten percent masking at best. Glad I bought auras in the US before the rush. We screwed the pooch on something so simple so early on and here we are now.

Yes here we are, still screwing that same pooch every day. That poor little pooch.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Plagueisland is SO over with Covid that it doesn't even make it to headlines while the whole country collectively focused on Bo "Rawdoggin'" Jo Christmas Party row. The self isolation time is reduced to 5 days (releae on 6th day if you have two consecutive negatife LF tests, unless I misunderstood the government blurb) which is kinda :thunk: given that there is absolutely zero control over the result reporting of those and entirely based on honor system.

I don't see many people abusing that in the UK but still it's just one layer of actual testing (PCR) removed from the equation. I'm sure my Covid denier, anti vaxxer old housemate (who is a middle school teacher) will report her results honestly and diligently lmao

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Galewolf posted:

Plagueisland is SO over with Covid that it doesn't even make it to headlines while the whole country collectively focused on Bo "Rawdoggin'" Jo Christmas Party row. The self isolation time is reduced to 5 days (releae on 6th day if you have two consecutive negatife LF tests, unless I misunderstood the government blurb) which is kinda :thunk: given that there is absolutely zero control over the result reporting of those and entirely based on honor system.

I don't see many people abusing that in the UK but still it's just one layer of actual testing (PCR) removed from the equation. I'm sure my Covid denier, anti vaxxer old housemate (who is a middle school teacher) will report her results honestly and diligently lmao

The government is transparently just letting Jesus Covid take the wheel at this point, they're making it extremely obvious that they're officially Giving Up and You Should Give Up Too

It's what they always wanted

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Welp, Pret can't sell those sandwiches to foxes, isn't it? Back to work, plebs :colbert:

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I noticed a couple weeks ago that I kept showing people the wrong page in my vaccine passport, and neither I nor the guy/gal checking noticed. Like the page with the covid shots, this page also has two stickers. But taken years ago for something unrelated. Pretty cool, huh?

e: some venues in my country require that you show them your vaccine passport.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Galewolf posted:

Were those people isolating and testing in the first place, anyway? I don't mean this to defend the five-day period which is crazy capitalist death march talk, but if someone didn't give a gently caress about covid and were asymptomatic or mild, I doubt they were testing or isolating properly. I mean, the best case scenario is that it knocks them on their rear end and confined to bed, in that case maybe?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Were those people isolating and testing in the first place, anyway? I don't mean this to defend the five-day period which is crazy capitalist death march talk, but if someone didn't give a gently caress about covid and were asymptomatic or mild, I doubt they were testing or isolating properly.

Well, yeah,um, sort of. I mean maybe in Murica you have more cavalier anti-vaxxer / deniers but seems like (from anecdotal evidence) even the anti-vaxxers here sort of abide by the rules [citation needed]. That being said, there is absolutely no way to know if someone reported a negative lf test while being positive so Jesus is at the wheel on that one.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Galewolf posted:

Well, yeah,um, sort of. I mean maybe in Murica you have more cavalier anti-vaxxer / deniers but seems like (from anecdotal evidence) even the anti-vaxxers here sort of abide by the rules [citation needed]. That being said, there is absolutely no way to know if someone reported a negative lf test while being positive so Jesus is at the wheel on that one.

Yeah, true. I guess the able to be jabbed but unvaccinated range from a sort of oblivious and feckless to a more malicious and obstinate, so there's going to be a gamut of reactions from "oh gently caress, this is a real thing, I better take it seriously" to "its a cold! Off to Wetherspoons to lick the handrails"

As an example, my partner has a young, slightly dim, staff member who believes in the virus, wears masks and sanitises, but has doubts about how quickly vaccines were produced. My partner was able to bring him round on some things and as far as I know he'll be getting jabbed. And I'm not mad at him, but he's exactly who the real fruitcakes want to convince through their campaign of...uh, stickers of Bill Gates with devil horns on lampposts.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 14, 2022

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, true. I guess the able to be jabbed but unvaccinated range from a sort of oblivious and feckless to a more malicious and obstinate, so there's going to be a gamut of reactions from "oh gently caress, this is a real thing, I better take it seriously" to "its a cold! Off to Wetherspoons to lick the handrails"

As an example, my partner has a young, slightly dim, staff member who believes in the virus, wears masks and sanitises, but has doubts about how quickly vaccines were produced. My partner was able to bring him round on some things and as far as I know he'll be getting jabbed. And I'm not mad at him, but he's exactly who the real fruitcakes want to convince through their campaign of...uh, stickers of Bill Gates with devil horns on lampposts.

I had two recent examples: I was out for an event and we decided to go to a bar and a nightclub afterwards. There was this sleeve tatooed slightly aggro guy ranting about lockdowns and gave me a poo poo for wearing a mask. He was "you were in a cramped pub with lots of people and going to a club without a mask on but you're wearing one in the cab" flavour ad I told him the cabbies are human beings and the cabbie was like "I ain't wearing one!" (Goddammit people smdh). Anyway, when we reached to the club they asked for Covid passes and he wasn't able to bring one because he wasn't vaccinated. He brought a negative LF test notification but I mean, god knows if it was legit or not.

Another one happened during a date, she basically went on a Joe Rogan rant about vaccines but also was okay taking a LF test before the date. I mean, at that point what I can HOPE is yes they are twats but at least actually took the tests.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Galewolf posted:

I had two recent examples: I was out for an event and we decided to go to a bar and a nightclub afterwards. There was this sleeve tatooed slightly aggro guy ranting about lockdowns and gave me a poo poo for wearing a mask. He was "you were in a cramped pub with lots of people and going to a club without a mask on but you're wearing one in the cab" flavour ad I told him the cabbies are human beings and the cabbie was like "I ain't wearing one!" (Goddammit people smdh).

he kinda got your rear end tho lmfao

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he kinda got your rear end tho lmfao

Well, no? Current government rules are "masks on" for the public transport and shops/markets/whatever (nightclubs and restaurants are considered exempt). I know in practice it's pretty lol but "you weren't wearing it in the pub, why you are wearing in the cab?" is like basically not considering cabbies or transport/service people as not humans. What part do you think I got owned?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

IDK maybe the part where you're out partying in a fuckin bar and then start clucking and fussing like anyone else is the rear end in a top hat here

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

i'm pretty confident something similar will happen in many other countries after the peak. it's too tempting to say 'well now that everyone just got infected this is as protected as we're going to get so might as well open'er up'

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

IDK maybe the part where you're out partying in a fuckin bar and then start clucking and fussing like anyone else is the rear end in a top hat here

You are projecting way too hard, I'm giving an example on how you cannot know if someone is an anti vaxxer but still show some sort of responsibility by at least taking a LF test (well, allegedly) which was the discussion. So, by your rhetoric, anyone stepping outside from their house for socializing should just go all the way and not wear masks at all because that's hypocritical? What are you exactly trying to prove here?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think the "the cabbie is a human!!!" argument is pretty funny since apparently nobody was thinking "the bartender is a human!!!" "the doorman is a human!!!" "the waitress is a human!!!"

I get it's legal but it's absolutely 0% logical

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I mean, with 90% vaccinated and the vaccine reducing transmission and severity, what other solution then to open'er up while masking is there? Apart from redoing last year's spiel of imposing lockdowns until cases are down and jabbing everyone with the omicron-vaccine once it's out, I don't really see any option.

Genuinely asking, personally I am triple vaxxed, still masking everywhere and I'll take any booster thrown my way, but I'm also sick of all the restrictions and I notice that it is starting to take a toll on my mental well-being.

Edit: I'm still in favour of quarantining anyone with a positive Covid test of course

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think doing any kind of unnecessary indoor event during a covid wave is probably being at least a bit selfish even if you're vaxxed/masked (and especially if not for either of those two things)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I went to bed last night thinking "I feel kind of okay actually maybe the booster won't be as bad!"

Then a couple hours later I was in the roasting/freezing/roasting etc phase of a fever and now my whole body hurts too much to move without making a bunch of stupid noises and gasping lmao. Bunch of muscle spasms in my legs and my eyes are doing weird focusing poo poo I can't really explain but it's making the walls kind of look like they're breathing or flexing.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Galewolf posted:

nightclubs and restaurants are considered exempt [...] is like basically not considering service people as not humans. What part do you think I got owned?

heres your disconnect. they're telling you the rules are inconsistent bullshit and you're like "but i followed them! im a good person!"

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Picnic Princess posted:

my eyes are doing weird focusing poo poo I can't really explain but it's making the walls kind of look like they're breathing or flexing.

Tfw when you forgot you took a bunch of shrooms

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I think the "the cabbie is a human!!!" argument is pretty funny since apparently nobody was thinking "the bartender is a human!!!" "the doorman is a human!!!" "the waitress is a human!!!"

I get it's legal but it's absolutely 0% logical

I am not objecting to the illogical part of any of this, I'm well aware of the irony of being in a club and wearing a mask in a cab while the cabbie himself is not wearing one.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Picnic Princess posted:

I went to bed last night thinking "I feel kind of okay actually maybe the booster won't be as bad!"

Then a couple hours later I was in the roasting/freezing/roasting etc phase of a fever and now my whole body hurts too much to move without making a bunch of stupid noises and gasping lmao. Bunch of muscle spasms in my legs and my eyes are doing weird focusing poo poo I can't really explain but it's making the walls kind of look like they're breathing or flexing.

I'm sorry, but you have actually gone to Hell. Turns out the breathing walls are like the only key difference.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Galewolf posted:

I am not objecting to the illogical part of any of this, I'm well aware of the irony of being in a club and wearing a mask in a cab while the cabbie himself is not wearing one.

It's not ironic, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ginette Reno posted:

I think doing any kind of unnecessary indoor event during a covid wave is probably being at least a bit selfish even if you're vaxxed/masked (and especially if not for either of those two things)

I agree.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Galewolf posted:

So yes, it was hypocritical and ludicrous for you to respond with "the cabbie is a human!!!"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

After I was done with my superspreader event I wore a little bit of cloth on my face while cramming in a tiny enclosed space with some poor schmuck, to recognize his humanity. It's like rain on your wedding day!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Got a headache last night and still had it this morning so I took a rapid test - negative. My booster appointment was this morning so I notified the screening staff and nurse giving me the shot about my headache and they just went 'OK!' and away we went. They gave me the choice of booster and said that Moderna booster with a Pfizer vaccination has a slightly better immune response so I went with the Pfizer x 2 and Moderna booster.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I think the "wear a mask to protect others" messaging is over and done with. I wear a KF94 for my own protection, not the public's, and no one else I know who masks cares about the protection of others either.

I'm well aware of the limited effectiveness for myself vs filtering on behalf of others but not infecting anyone else is a passive side benefit I don't care about.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Vernii posted:

I think the "wear a mask to protect others" messaging is over and done with. I wear a KF94 for my own protection, not the public's, and no one else I know who masks cares about the protection of others either.

I'm well aware of the limited effectiveness for myself vs filtering on behalf of others but not infecting anyone else is a passive side benefit I don't care about.

Yeah, I have a healthy number of KN95s, but I'm considering getting a valved mask for my own comfort before CDC changes their recommendation and everything gets backed up for months. Feels selfish after all the messaging in 2020, but :shrug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Finally was able to get scheduled for a 2nd booster this coming Friday. So just gotta stay safe til then.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

I liked that phrase about life not being a movie and you (the reader) not being a star. I sometimes wonder if part of the reason for Coronavirus denial and apathy is because its not a particularly cinematic disease - the early footage of people collapsing in the street or being boarded up in apartments definitely had zombie movie energy, but it hasn't been people in hazmat suits carrying foaming corpses or violently puking black bile or cars piling into each other on intersections. Its been Zoom meetings and a pain in the rear end to get toilet paper and a patina of things being poo poo but tolerable for a lot of us.
This is exactly it. Remember how they reacted to ebola? If covid had you bleeding out of your eyes or erupting in unmaskable pustules, people would not be antimasking/antivaxxing idiots, because the visuals would be too much to ignore or downplay.

quote:

I said it in another thread about boomers, but the reason most of them seem to lust for the apocalypse is because they think they'd be able to still go out for brunch the Sunday after.
No, its because they think they'll be able to kill their enemies/minorites with impunity and rule over the ashes in their lifted 4x4s and tons of guns and stockpiled oatmeal and beans.

Turns out the apocalypse is a hell of a lot more boring, eating dried provisions loving sucks and airborne viruses don't care how white or cool you think you are, nor how many guns you have.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I am booked for my booster next Friday, and it is looking like I will have to go in to work for the first time in ages on Wednesday AND Thursday because even though we have record high new cases right now it's a perfect time to start relaxing restrictions for no reason whatsoever. Can't wait to pointlessly catch COVID the day before my booster.

In other news, I need the goon mask experts to settle a debate:

Is a poorly fitting N95 actively worse than a surgical mask? Or is it simply no better than a surgical mask because of the gaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Oracle posted:

viruses don't care how white or cool you think you are, nor how many guns you have.

Captain Janeway would disagree with you there.