Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skull Servant posted:

Another factor that my partner's mother, who is a funeral director in England, cites is that there's just less funeral homes and more people who need to be buried in general. This creates a bit of a backlog. Compare that to Ireland where nearly every town has a pub/funeral home combo.

I'm at The Village Inn.
I'm at the funeral home.
I'm at the combination Village Inn and funeral home

:rip::guinness:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1481924633490333699?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If you're in London, don't move! The pollution might get you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hopefully by the time I'm dead we'll have moved to a mass cremation system anyway and my kids won't have to worry about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skull Servant posted:

This creates a bit of a backlog.
It's the Muslims Henry, they have to get buried within 12 hours in a big linen shirt and facing towards Doncaster otherwise they don't get into their heaven, so the woke coroners process all of their deaths first and we have to wait weeks!

(some people actually believe this)

Oh dear me posted:

Embalming also seems ghastly to me.
Embalming definitely seems like a generational thing more than a religious thing. Funeral rites are deeply emotive and you won't convince people that they're doing theirs wrong in the short term, but embalming in the modern sense only really dates to mid 18th century Scottish Presbyterians and it took until the late 19th for lay Catholics to be convinced that there wasn't something deeply heretical with messing about with blood and corpses and potions like that. More recently there seems to be a general turn towards woodland burial and rejection of embalming for environmental reasons (and more abstract ones, some of my recently deceased family chose that more for "it seems a lot nicer than a graveyard" reasons and following my great aunt who liked forests).

I quite like the woodland idea. Or at sea. It does mean that that you need to have the wake in the big fridge or be careful that your cats don't do a desecration though, which will put a fair few people off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMw5E2rzKWg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When my dad died in 2015 it was at least 10 days (can't remember exactly) before we could even register the death. This was because mum tried calling the number she'd been given by the undertaker to book the appointment to register the death and it kept ringing and ringing into what finally transpired to be an empty office occupied for approx 1 hour on a Friday morning (undertaker did not know this as it was apparently a recent change that the relevant dept hadn't bothered to notify people).

She hadn't told us she couldn't get an answer, and when we found out, we discovered that you had to book the appointment online and the earliest appointment we could get was at least 10 days after the death AND she had to travel to Gloucester to do it. Fortunately, we are computer literate and my sister has a car otherwise I don't know how she would have managed (a taxi would cost over £100 let alone it waiting around all day to do the business at the relevant offices). People who live in cities who can register the deaths the same day don't know how privileged they are!

We did have further delays due to some special circumstances relating to dad's employers (before he retired) so dad's funeral (C of Wales funeral, C of E burial, don't ask) was 5 or 6 weeks after his death.

I just attended a zoom funeral yesterday of a friend's husband who died 4th December. It was an unexpected death (nothing to do with covid), he was just a year older than me and had a few weeks earlier had a minor surgical procedure so the coroner had to get involved.

Re natural (woodland) burials.
An old school friend is buried at the Usk one (https://uskcastle.com/usk-castle/natural-burials/). Personally, I find it a bit bleak. No markers are allowed.

I do quite like the idea of being a tree though (memories of Orson Scott Card's Speaker for the Dead spring to mind!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 14, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahaha, I missed this from yesterday

https://twitter.com/redskyatnight/status/1481708378934202370

And it's true. I'm posting via carrier pigeon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jeremy Corbyn would have given free wifi to Devon and then they'd all be on your internets selling plastic fuel jugs full of cider and claiming that they invented pasties, is this what you want for your children?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I posted about it when it happened but my dad died in Spain in 2020 (before the pandemic kicked in) and it was a nightmare. Spain have weird rules and iirc will only release the body and death certificate to the funeral home, but our insurance company wouldn't arrange a funeral home until they had the death certificate, which meant we spent two days sat in a hotel in Granada waiting for one side to give in to the other side. Fortunately, the British Embassy was very helpful and did some translation for us when my GCSE Spanish failed to translate "no you morons we need the certificate first".

He then had to be flown back to the UK (after we had left Spain) and taken to the funeral home we had arranged, so it was like 2 weeks before we had a funeral.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1481678636096892929

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1481913199133868032

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

why would jeremy corbyn do this

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

On the death traditions thing I was quite thrown in Italy when I discovered that someone's expected to wait in vigil with the body before the funeral and had to basically spend five days sitting next to an open casket.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Answers Me posted:

Worked for her youngest son:

Prior to that there hadn’t been an Earl of Wessex (or indeed a Wessex) for a thousand years.

loving lol

quote:

Edward obtained a C-grade and two D-grades at A-level,[6]

Upon his return to Britain, Edward studied at Jesus College, Cambridge, where he read History. His admission to Cambridge despite his A-Level results caused some controversy.[9]

I wonder why.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I never really thought of royals doing GCSEs or A levels, I assumed them getting magicked into university for some honorary degree or other.

Turns out that's pretty much what happens.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is England so nostalgic for the empire days that they've reintroduced smog to London?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

lol. Liz Truss has decided to start talking in a much deeper voice to sound more Prime Ministerial

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1481938550144835587

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I don't want to be macabre but is a corpse not a little... fruity after a few weeks

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
when i die i want to die in a peat bog so i can come back as a bog mummy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

keep punching joe posted:

when i die i want to die in a peat bog so i can come back as a bog mummy.

I'm surprised no one's tried making peat and corpse smoked whisky yet (they probably have).

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't want to be macabre but is a corpse not a little... fruity after a few weeks

That's liz truss she is always like that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Re natural (woodland) burials.
An old school friend is buried at the Usk one (https://uskcastle.com/usk-castle/natural-burials/). Personally, I find it a bit bleak. No markers are allowed.

I do quite like the idea of being a tree though (memories of Orson Scott Card's Speaker for the Dead spring to mind!)
I suppose it all depends how you look at it.

Some people like the idea of going to a specific row with a specific written marker and thinking "that's them" and leaving some flowers, others like the idea of just wandering around in the woods and listening to the birdsong and rustling of leaves and thinking "that's them".

Reminds me a little of Lenin and Ho Chi Minh and all the others who said "pay your respects to the ideals I represented and please don't put my earthly remains on some sort of pedestal" and then just got ignored.

ThomasPaine posted:

There's often an aroma if you opt against embalming but it's not necessarily a bad one if the body is properly washed and dressed and kept cold until just before. You will want to keep pets out of the room though because they don't always observe funereal customs correctly like restricting themselves to eating the sandwiches.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1481918098705948673

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Necrothatcher posted:

On the death traditions thing I was quite thrown in Italy when I discovered that someone's expected to wait in vigil with the body before the funeral and had to basically spend five days sitting next to an open casket.

Didn't you do that when Thatcher died, with a hammer and a stake?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

They replace the blood with cum to stop that from happening apparently.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Name him the new Duke of Edinburgh. Edinburgh deserves that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

They replace the blood with cum to stop that from happening apparently.

forkboy84 posted:

Name him the new Duke of Edinburgh. Edinburgh deserves that.

Watch as I combine these posts and formulate this reply:

Duke new cum

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is exactly the book that made me interested in going this route

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Is England so nostalgic for the empire days that they've reintroduced smog to London?

That's two references to smog in London this morning when it's literally the clearest, sunniest day that I've seen in *months*. Apparently because it's also the first still day of the winter someone put out a pollution warning, because London can get an inversion layer on days like this, but there's not even the normal winter haze.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is exactly the book that made me interested in going this route

It's a shame OSC is such a shithead, really.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how are the tories so bad at knifing each other in the back? shameful

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GeorgePointon_/status/1481961288024694788

Click through for nothing but better candidates than we have right now, other than from Belle, who needs to be reported to Prevent.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Yeah, also that his later books were poisoned by his insanse shitheadedness. The first 2 books in both the Ender and Enders Shadow series are great tho iirc

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

But also, as a genuine question to thread - why do UK funerals happen weeks later whereas Irish funerals happen within 3days? I feel like there was some effort post about this ages ago but I don't recall
Awaiting a twisto bigpost, but I used to work for a funeral director who was well known for having one of the fastest turnarounds in the area. He was also a control freak who never let me know the entire workflow process, only ever alluded to it, so i'm not 100% on every form required and where they go, but this is the gist.

Generally the delay is because of everything in local government still being run via physical post, multiple paper forms needing to be confirmed by different office locations, and a lot of people in positions of authority who leave paperwork unopened 'til the next day or only work part-time.

So in a lot of cases one form that needs to be signed will be sent out in the post by the undertaker, the office will read it the next day (or the next), maybe wait a day to respond, send it off to the next office who will get it a day later, sign it, post it, and it will be recieved signed and ready 2-3 days later by the undertaker, 4-5 if someone leaves it 'til next day to deal with or misses the post.

And there are follow-up forms that can't be done until the first set of paperwork is completed that can add just as much time if they're also delayed. One of my most frequent duties was phoning to check if x department had definitely recieved the paperwork for Mrs Y, and more than once could hear the person on the other end tearing open envelopes.

This was 10 years ago so it's possible some of the forms can now be done digitally, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it hasn't changed, or that the e-form is printed out by IT and physically posted overnight to another department within the local authorities. The entire funeral industry is very resistant to modernisation.

Our director got around this by literally driving to the different offices, talking to the managers (who he knew as friends from social events) and getting them to have someone quickly sign the form while he was there, then driving it to the next office and dropping it off in person. If they needed to sign it as well, he'd get them to do it while he was there and then drive back having cut 3-5 days off the admin time. If he was quick, he could get the follow-up forms in before 5 as well.

Admittedly the reason he usually did this is because he was running late or had forgotten a form, but he had a good rep with local Irish families for getting the turnaround done quickly.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Click through for nothing but better candidates than we have right now, other than from Belle, who needs to be reported to Prevent.
I can't be arsed to do the legwork myself but I'd put good money on everyone fawning over Ravvi's answer having a whole chunk of tweets between 2017-2019 absolutely monstering Jaremies Corben.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 14, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

I love it when people like that show their whole rear end. "If we let the gays get married then next they'll ban teaching traditional values in schools!"

Sounds good. Those values sound like poo poo if you need to prevent that to keep them.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lola is deeply sus too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

But also, as a genuine question to thread - why do UK funerals happen weeks later whereas Irish funerals happen within 3days? I feel like there was some effort post about this ages ago but I don't recall

When my grandmother died it just took a long time to get everything sorted. I suppose it's just a low capacity and low expectations for turnaround.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/theidsmiths/status/1481919551440932866

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I don't care what happens when I'm gone. Am the youngest in my family, so no descendents to worry about.

Probably a pauper's funeral and an official council mourner. Assuming the cat left anything to bury.

Though we do have a family tomb in France. (Mum's family were old money, but her mother gambled away everything after the war)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

smellmycheese posted:

lol. Liz Truss has decided to start talking in a much deeper voice to sound more Prime Ministerial

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1481938550144835587

She's gone full theranos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Jaremies Corben.

Doesn't he do the carpool karaoke?