Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
blows loot out of my enemies' asses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
ITT: lots of people who have never played Angband, the game that Diablo is directly inspired by, and can't wrap their heads around the idea that a bunch of guys in the 90s who loved roguelikes wanted to make their own Rogue like/lite. Diablo was even going to be turn based until they tested real time gameplay and realized it was a lot more fun.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
not sure that the motivation of the team making the game or their inspiration really impacts whether people think its good or not

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It looks like it might be.

I'm always surprised how much I enjoy Kirby or how much Kirby I've played because it's not a game series I think about very often, but it's true I've played it a lot. Star Allies, which I think is fine, really revealed to me how much I enjoy the franchise, since it's a bit of a love letter to the series with all the callbacks. It was, however, a dead easy game, and honestly the abilities it featured didn't wow me all that much. It's neat the game has developed Smash like controls to produce all sorts of attacks, but they're all nearly 100% useless in the context of the main game and while you can truly amp the difficulty later I don't feel like that's really a selling point. Running through the game with all new powers and characters is also fun, but very repetitive since it's the same levels over and over again.

This new game looks really different. It's not 2D and they're not pushing the 4 player free-for-all which makes the actions seem far less busy than in SA, which at some points felt like it auto-played. It seems like it may have a bit more experimentation, and those are always the best Kirby's. He's a great vehicle for creative game design and I'm hoping that's what this one has to some degree.

I’m mostly just happy they finally got a mainline 3D Kirby game off the ground after years of trying and I’m curious how it’s going to work (particularly the Meta Knight fight teased at the end of the trailer since you’d have a lot more room to maneuver this time).

Also there are no bad Kirby games in my opinion (but some are better than others)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 14, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

There are no bad Kirby games no. Some are better than others though. Star Allies is one where a lot of other Kirby games are better, but it's still a treat to play especially as a fan of a series.

I was glad to see my boys Rick, Kine, and Coo treated so well. Where's the rest of the gang?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There are no bad Kirby games no. Some are better than others though. Star Allies is one where a lot of other Kirby games are better, but it's still a treat to play especially as a fan of a series.

I was glad to see my boys Rick, Kine, and Coo treated so well. Where's the rest of the gang?

If you're referring to the animal buddies, they're part of Cleaning's moveset now.

Also turns out according to a Japanes guidebook, Gooey's been chilling in Kirby's house all this time if people were wondering about his disappearance after DL3.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
kirby's dreamland 2 for the motherfucking win

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Araxxor posted:

If you're referring to the animal buddies, they're part of Cleaning's moveset now.

Also turns out according to a Japanes guidebook, Gooey's been chilling in Kirby's house all this time if people were wondering about his disappearance after DL3.

That's our Gooey! And cameo's don't quite count but yes, it's something I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

He returned in Star Allies as a Helper character as well (he’s also an unlockable character in Kirby Fighters 2 for the Switch)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

ITT: lots of people who have never played Angband, the game that Diablo is directly inspired by, and can't wrap their heads around the idea that a bunch of guys in the 90s who loved roguelikes wanted to make their own Rogue like/lite. Diablo was even going to be turn based until they tested real time gameplay and realized it was a lot more fun.

What does any of that matter to the quality of diablo 3

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bust Rodd posted:

Beating the story mode campaign unlocks the actual game Diablo III. The campaign is like 10% of the Diablo experience. You probably didn’t even hit max level if you only beat Diablo, and the game doesn’t really even start until level 70.

all of those things are bad though
if you're not going to bother making the game interesting until the post-game please don't bother making the game

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lmao at humblebragging about playing angband in the nintendo thread

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Diablo 2R is sick and I'm not even clouded by nostalgia because I never played it as a kid. I hear it's getting a patch pretty soon with buffs all around, which is good because I'm still banging my head against Act 2 Hell at the moment.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

all of those things are bad though
if you're not going to bother making the game interesting until the post-game please don't bother making the game

Don't worry, D3 is not interesting after you reach the post-game, either

American McGay posted:

Diablo 2R is sick and I'm not even clouded by nostalgia because I never played it as a kid. I hear it's getting a patch pretty soon with buffs all around, which is good because I'm still banging my head against Act 2 Hell at the moment.

What class and what kind of build are you playing? :)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Zeal Paladin. I didn't wanna do hammer, whenever I play a game with builds I always try to do something a little unique, even if it's less efficient.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
All this Diablo talk and now I wanna listen to the Tristam music on a loop. Those guitar strings heck yes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Bust Rodd posted:

Beating the story mode campaign unlocks the actual game Diablo III. The campaign is like 10% of the Diablo experience. You probably didn’t even hit max level if you only beat Diablo, and the game doesn’t really even start until level 70.

"you need to play 20 hours of extremely bad game before you see the actual game" is not the selling point goons seem to think it is

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The campaign is like 4-6 hours first time through if you’ve never played a video game before

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
4 to 6 hours is a lot of time to play a video game imo especially if you arent enjoying the game

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

4 to 6 hours is a lot of time to play a video game imo especially if you arent enjoying the game

Then the Diablo 3 campaign feels like a very, very long 4-6 hours.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
a VERY FASt multiple hours through the DOG poo poo story so you cann get to the VERY BORING adventure mod e and hop on the UNINSPIRED loot treadmill of constant boring minor stat upgrades ftw. diablo 3 pog!!! lets goooooooooo!!!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
if your playing a game for six hours to get to part that you might enjoy then why not just stop playing that game and play a game you enjoy immediately i dont understand...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would simply play a better game that isn't made by blizzard

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if your playing a game for six hours to get to part that you might enjoy then why not just stop playing that game and play a game you enjoy immediately i dont understand...

FFXIV won GOTY here, this forum is lost

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The D3 campaign being unskippable on Switch would be really annoying yeah

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno I guess maybe if you don’t already know how to play Diablo then playing through the campaign is good because it teaches you about the game. Not everyone playing Diablo 3 is already an ARPG All-Star.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I found Diablo 3 to be just okay, but for the record the switch version has never required you to play the campaign and always allowed you to jump straight into adventure mode.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i would simply play a better game that isn't made by blizzard

there isnt one. d2 is the king. im enjoying poe but i dont think thahts on switch however.

Marx Headroom posted:

The D3 campaign being unskippable on Switch would be really annoying yeah

adventure mod is equally as bad, possibly more boring somehow. the problem is the game.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
the goty award is pointless as the greatest game of all time has already been made and that game is super mario bros 3

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
how is diablo 2 on the switch are the controls and interface good for a console port?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

how is diablo 2 on the switch are the controls and interface good for a console port?

They've added a button where you can tell the Amazon that she'd look better if she smiled more.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

idk how it is on the swithc but the gamepad controls are as solid as u would expect. similar to d3 controls.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

It's blurry as hell but it runs fine and you can play it while taking a dump (posting).

Gamepad controls are glorious. Great adaptation, can't imagine playing it any other way.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
interesting. seems like i may have to get diablo 2 one of these days...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oscar Wild posted:

They've added a button where you can tell the Amazon that she'd look better if she smiled more.

Nice :golfclap:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the goty award is pointless as the greatest game of all time has already been made and that game is super mario bros 3

this is true. smb3 loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Mario World is better