Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Preoptopus posted:

Oh god they are actually going to send it to Drydock for refit this summer. Article says nothing about a modern engine....

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/11/russias-aircraft-carrier-admiral-kuznetsov-to-resume-repairs-in-june-2022/

that's actually anti-satellite tracking tech, very advanced stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Russian duma is preparing a citizenship law that would allow immediate citizenship to any descendants of those who were born in the parts of Russian empire or USSR that lie within current borders of Russian federation. And that's me, my granny was born in pre-independence Finland in a town that now is in Leningrad oblast.

Thinking about moving to Russia now and living (La)da life :ussr:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's one way to create Russian minorities that need to be protected.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

About one million Finns could get Russian passports. We could move to some major city there and swing elections.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That would be me as well, my great grandfather, iirc, was from like Saratov area and settled in Latvia during WW1.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Russian duma is preparing a citizenship law that would allow immediate citizenship to any descendants of those who were born in the parts of Russian empire or USSR that lie within current borders of Russian federation. And that's me, my granny was born in pre-independence Finland in a town that now is in Leningrad oblast.

Lol, that's probably something like 10% of the entire US population and a huge chunk of Israelis. I think most countries who have citizenship laws like that restrict it to grandparents?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Preoptopus posted:

Oh god they are actually going to send it to Drydock for refit this summer. Article says nothing about a modern engine....

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/11/russias-aircraft-carrier-admiral-kuznetsov-to-resume-repairs-in-june-2022/

Those are incredible photos. How much oil (or mazut I guess) does that thing get through in a cruise I wonder.

@GABA ghoul Italian citizenship isn't just limited to grandparents. Anyone who can prove an Italian ancestor from any time after Italian unification (1860ish iirc) can claim it. Its very popular with Brasilians who want to move to the EU.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Can I claim Ukrainian citizenship if my grandpa came from pre-war Wołyń? :confused:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That would be me as well, my great grandfather, iirc, was from like Saratov area and settled in Latvia during WW1.

Nenonen posted:

I for one would like to welcome our new Russian overlords

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Owling Howl posted:

Russia annexing the most Russophone regions in Ukraine probably ensures that a democratic Ukrainian government friendly to Russia is largely impossible simply due to the shift in demographics. The alternative is a non-democratic Ukrainian government controlled by Russia but I don't see how you could achieve that without full-scale invasion and occupation.

Russia has made no move to formally annex the DNR and LNR until VERY recently. They would prefer these regions to be made autonomous but still vote in Ukrainian elections.

Having a politically neutral Ukraine > looking big on map

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Nenonen posted:

About one million Finns could get Russian passports. We could move to some major city there and swing elections.

you cant swing elections if there arent any *taps head*

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FishBulbia posted:

looking big on map
are you sure? this has been a real problem for russia. those 13,000 square miles could make a real difference

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

are you sure? this has been a real problem for russia. those 13,000 square miles could make a real difference

Russia mad that map coloring is so difficult now

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FishBulbia posted:

Russia mad that map coloring is so difficult now

look that's just the rules, after you convert from tribal to feudal you can't just declare war on a whim and need to have or fabricate a causus belli

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Looks like there's been a large scale cyber attack on the Ukrainian government, but more along the lines of intended to put stress on the government than facilitate an invasion (as far as we can see, at least):
https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1481860141888806913?t=GnAu-iLQc8Q6Urik6fJ-mQ&s=19

In lighter news:
https://twitter.com/OscDomesticated/status/1481977678219591690?t=Sxzu5oThVAmCgjVO1MBYzg&s=19

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 14, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Calling ddos attacks "cyber attacks" is pretty alarmist. Its cyber vandalism. Russia has directly attacked the Ukrainian energy grid before.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a cyber attack even if it isn't the worst possible cyber attack.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
we're missing the important part here: if the attack is attributable to russia, the map icon affirms that crimea is part of ukraine in their view

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FishBulbia posted:

Calling ddos attacks "cyber attacks" is pretty alarmist. Its cyber vandalism. Russia has directly attacked the Ukrainian energy grid before.

No, specifically they claim to have gotten into internal systems and grabbed PII, so that is an attack, not just a vandalism of the page. We don't know how far they got in yet.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

we're missing the important part here: if the attack is attributable to russia, the map icon affirms that crimea is part of ukraine in their view

the actual text seems to be trying to attribute it to Poles by talking about OUN stuff

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

FishBulbia posted:

the actual text seems to be trying to attribute it to Poles by talking about OUN stuff

Half-broken Polish, as usual. They can’t get this right. A year and a half ago there was a supposedly Polish road blockade in the middle of Ukraine, and it was a load of people bussed in and no one spoke Polish.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
...why would you even write in Polish to address Ukrainians?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Does Moldova even share a border with Ukraine that isn't controlled by Transnistria?

This is extreme Clancychat I know, but: if Putin were to annex all of Ukraine, would he go ahead and grab Transnistria, too? I'm under the impression one reason the breakaway republic exists at all is just Soviet nostalgia.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TipTow posted:

Does Moldova even share a border with Ukraine that isn't controlled by Transnistria?

Its North and South (remember Bessarabia?) borders.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As I expected for this week, talks ended up being hot air mostly. Gas prices have already jumped 25% up, with everyone pricing US claims on expected false flag to invade by mid-February.

Mokotow posted:

Half-broken Polish, as usual. They can’t get this right. A year and a half ago there was a supposedly Polish road blockade in the middle of Ukraine, and it was a load of people bussed in and no one spoke Polish.

Co do diabła właśnie o mnie powiedziałaś, mała suko? Chcę, abyście wiedzieli, że ukończyłem z wyróżnieniem Federalną Służbę Bezpieczeństwa, uczestniczyłem w wielu tajnych rajdach na wschodniej Ukrainie i mam ponad 300 potwierdzonych morderstw. Jestem wyszkolony do walki z gorylami i jestem najlepszym snajperem w rosyjskich siłach zbrojnych. Jesteś dla mnie niczym, tylko kolejnym celem. Zmiażdżę cię do piekła z precyzją, jakiej nigdy nie widziałeś na tej Ziemi, pamiętaj moje cholerne słowa. Myślisz, że poradzisz sobie z tym gównem w Internecie? Pomyśl jeszcze raz, dziwaku. Kiedy rozmawiamy, kontaktuję się z moją tajną siecią szpiegów w całym byłym Związku Radzieckim, a teraz twoje IP jest śledzone, więc lepiej przygotuj się na burzę, larwo. Burza, która wymazuje z powierzchni ziemi małe rzeczy, które nazywasz swoim życiem. Jesteś cholernie martwy, kochanie. Mogę być gdziekolwiek i kiedykolwiek, i mogę cię zabić na ponad siedemset sposobów, i to tylko gołymi rękami. Nie tylko jestem dobrze wyszkolony w walce wręcz, ale mam dostęp do całego arsenału 45. Oddzielnego Pułku Rozpoznawczego Gwardii Rosyjskich Sił Powietrznych i używam go w pełni, by wytrzeć twój bezwartościowy tyłek z twarzy kontynentu. , ty mały dupku. Gdybyś tylko wiedział, jaką bezbożną karę rzuciłby na ciebie twój mały „inteligentny” komentarz, mógłbyś się powstrzymywać. Ale nie mogłeś, nie zrobiłeś, a teraz płacisz, cholerny idioto. Przypomnę ci z wściekłością i utoniesz w nim. Jesteś cholernie martwy, kochanie.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 14, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TipTow posted:

This is extreme Clancychat I know, but: if Putin were to annex all of Ukraine, would he go ahead and grab Transnistria, too? I'm under the impression one reason the breakaway republic exists at all is just Soviet nostalgia.

Yes, Transnistria does make up a big chunk but there are direct borders too.

I don't really see them doing anything about Transnistria. It would require movimg a ton of troops by air since I don't imagine anyone would let them through otherwise, and it'd be a huge escalation even closer to the parts of Europe that matter.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Mokotow posted:

Can you point out the mistakes? Im just genuinely curious and want to use it for ppl claiming this is really the Polish right.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 14, 2022

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Ukrainiec! Wszystkie Twoje dane osobowe zostały przesłane do wspólnej sieci. Wszystkie dane na komputerze są niszczone, nie można ich odzyskać. Wszystkie informacje o Tobie stały się publiczne, bój się i czekaj na najgorsze. To dla Ciebie za twoją przeszłość, teraźniejszość i za Wołyń, za OUN UPA, Galicję, Polesie i za tereny historyczne.

vs

Ukraińcu! Wszystkie Twoje dane osobowe zostały przesłane do wspólnej sieci. Wszystkie dane na komputerze tym serwerze (?) są zniszczone, nie można ich odzyskać. Wszystkie informacje o Tobie stały się publiczne, bój się i czekaj na najgorsze (sounds weird in Polish but is correct). To dla Ciebie za twoją przeszłość, teraźniejszość i za Wołyń, za OUN UPA, Galicję, Polesie i za tereny historyczne (weird).

that's to at least make it look like half of an effort. Vlad, hire me.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

FishBulbia posted:

Can you point out the mistakes? Im just genuinely curious and want to use it for ppl claiming this is really the Polish right.

From the first word, it should be be "Ukraińcu!"
Rest is very weird, like literal translation from other language and not something any native speaker uses. Like "wspólna sieć". I've also never heard anyone use "tereny historyczne", people would use "ziemie utracone" or more likely "kresy wschodnie".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The first word is singular in other languages as well, however.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's singular in Polish as well, but it should be vocative (or whatever "wołacz" is in english).

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Alas, the pesky polish declination!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

alex314 posted:

It's singular in Polish as well, but it should be vocative (or whatever "wołacz" is in english).

a vocative? in english? please, we can barely deal with a vestigial distinction between nominative and accusative

ignore the modern linguists talking about @name as a vocative, that doesn't count

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

Ukraincu is singular vocative? What a depraved language.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Technically, I can see someone shouting "Ukrainiec!" as a derogatory vocative. As in, "Ej, Polak, zamknij mordę!" (shut up, Polack), as opposed to "zamknij mordę Polaku" (shut up Polish guy)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe, but we can agree no way in gently caress Polish nationalist would put Polish language message last..

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

that's a separate matter - why would there by a message in Polish there at all, disregarding who did the actual hack. Maaaaaybe if the target was Lithuania, putting something in Polish would make sense.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... Should the Ukrainian message be using vocative as well? Not sure of the rules for that....

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

TipTow posted:

On both sides of it, Transnistria is a landlocked fiefdom after all.

Putting Clancy-hat on, if Russia did annex all of Ukraine then Russia would already be de facto in as much control of Transnistria as it is now in control of Novorossiya. Keeping things this way would put a damper on Moldova's wishes to join EU and NATO (and Romania's wish* to peacefully annex Moldova). Or why not keep rolling, no rest until Bukarest...

*well, some of them anyway

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
rereading that "all your base belongs to us" message, the russian part of it feels kinda wonky as well. like not as wonky as the polish part of it apparently - at least it's correct grammatically. but it still feels like it's not written by a native speaker or something. sort of like if G-Man was speaking in russian :tinfoil:

i wonder if the ukrainian part of it is like that too