Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dr. Faustus posted:

Word? O snap, y'all.

Guess who called me this afternoon? It was a law firm, they specialize in wrongful termination and OJIs and that sorta stuff. And they want to represent me and take this right to my ex-employer. Not sure what kind of outcome to expect but if there is some kind of settlement they get like $500 + 40%. I can live with that. This is about the principle anyway, I doubt I'll see enough to buy a gud used car out of all of this, but I am about to find out. Unless something goes off-the-rails when I get into the details of it with the actual legal folks.

Thoughts?

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ok everyone, we have to put our dicks away for now.

I got swept up in the moment and I admit it. I did finally do my diligence and learned these guys might get you something but they are more of a scam than the real thing. When I hear from them next I will have to sever.

Sorry all, but don't worry I am still pursuing my claim with the EEOC and will keep looking to see if there is a reputable employment lawyer in town.

Don't be mad at me, please. I'll use this opportunity to tell everyone what to look out for.

E: This just means these guys tell everybody they have a claim then they slow-walk you through monthly fees while they do dick all. It's fine because I still have to continue the investigation process I started with the EEOC and keep looking for someone local who takes this kind of work on contingency. It's probably a long shot, really.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 12, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

runchild posted:

I’m putting in an IT ticket for the first time at this job, and I’ve navigated to the most likely category in the service catalog. A couple of the sub-categories within it are “General Request” and “Other”. “General Request” gives you two options: add and remove a printer. The sub-category “Other” contains one option labeled “General Request.” Brilliant.

very nice.. generally if we have issues we need to talk to someoen to ask what ticket we need to put in

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ok everyone, we have to put our dicks away for now.

I got swept up in the moment and I admit it. I did finally do my diligence and learned these guys might get you something but they are more of a scam than the real thing. When I hear from them next I will have to sever.

Sorry all, but don't worry I am still pursuing my claim with the EEOC and will keep looking to see if there is a reputable employment lawyer in town.

Don't be mad at me, please. I'll use this opportunity to tell everyone what to look out for.

E: This just means these guys tell everybody they have a claim then they slow-walk you through monthly fees while they do dick all. It's fine because I still have to continue the investigation process I started with the EEOC and keep looking for someone local who takes this kind of work on contingency. It's probably a long shot, really.

Don't apologize for doing the work to prevent yourself from getting buttfucked by an ambulance chaser. Do your due diligence

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, no need to apologize for not hiring Lionel Hutz. Long term success is way more important than initial exciting news! I get it. You're (justifiably) angry, and probably want to get some payback (again, justifiably) but it's good you're being level headed enough to not just jump on whatever! Good luck! gently caress that poo poo!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks and stay tuned!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dr. Faustus posted:

My Company terminated me for not coming to work when everyone else in my department (six of ten people) was coming down with COVID. Also, they fired me while I was in an FMLA agreement.

Based on the people who made this determination over the protests of my actual manager, this termination is also likely retaliation for a work dispute that I "won" in September that resulted in the termination of my antagonist, who was friendly with one or both of them.

My Company does dumb things.

I am contacting the State Bar in the morning and am fighting with DES to demand my Un-employment Benefits because they also terminated me for absenteeism, during a COVID spike, while I was on FMLA, without ever telling me my employment was in jeopardy but instead praising me for following proper procedures during an illness.

I actually have experience in this area and we ended up settling out of court. Turns out its bad to terminate someone on FMLA when they are in a mental hospital!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I hope you got enough to cure your problems.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Inceltown posted:

I hope you got enough to cure your problems.

Cure? No. Enough to get better help, yes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bee posted:

Computers and phones, yeah I'd expect those. But a desk? That's just loving bizarre to me. Who doesn't have a table or a desk in their house already?

It is kinda funny but also they should just be given a desk, that isn't unreasonable.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

bee posted:

Computers and phones, yeah I'd expect those. But a desk? That's just loving bizarre to me. Who doesn't have a table or a desk in their house already?

Hi, my WFH setup is a card table at the wrong height because I have no spare desk space available. Causes regular back and neck pain. I'd love a desk similar to my work one for WFH usage. We do exist!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

bee posted:

Lots of people don't have a proper desk at home if they aren't set up for 8 hours of computer use a day, at home.

If you don't live in a hellworld country like the USA there might even be laws about your employer needing to provide you a workspace with ergonomics that don't injure you.

You've just been working exposed to such lovely working conditions for so long your overton window has moved.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My usual work from home setup involves two laptop desks and other poo poo I've bought for myself, and I want to get a new office chair since the one I'm using ends up hurting my back, and still vehemently wish people would shut up about the merits and morality of work-supplied desks at home.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Blanket forts are out of style. The new hotness is corporate funded desk forts.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Once caught my boss getting a blowie off the bakery girl when I worked at the co-op. I never paid for a pastry from that day on...

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

On the current work side, management tried to slip effective pay cuts through (due to the changes to tax brackets) expecting nobody to notice, and everybody promptly cottoned on to it. Manager on call refused to respond to someone asking if there would be any pay raise to compensate & shuffled the topic along. So that's cool.

On the future work side, 3 responses to applications put out today, all asking for interviews. I like this hiring environment much more than the immediately-post-lockdown one.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SkyeAuroline posted:

On the current work side, management tried to slip effective pay cuts through (due to the changes to tax brackets) expecting nobody to notice, and everybody promptly cottoned on to it. Manager on call refused to respond to someone asking if there would be any pay raise to compensate & shuffled the topic along. So that's cool.

On the future work side, 3 responses to applications put out today, all asking for interviews. I like this hiring environment much more than the immediately-post-lockdown one.

loving same.

2% annual raise, get hosed folks. Been getting lots of interview requests and two of them are looking real good right now.
I warned my manager when this bullshit came through.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

my company is using a hybrid model where you can work from home twice a week

the ap person has an evolving line in their email signature regarding covid affecting payment times

last friday it was "checks may be delayed a couple days due to covid shortages"

tuesday was "checks may be delayed up to a week due to limited personnel bandwith"

today is "checks may be delayed a couple weeks due to widespread covid shortages in the accounting department"

as far as I can tell the only people not sick are myself, the said ap person who is wfh taking care of their covid positive son, my boss who already had it, and a couple of ar people

guess who is not going into the office for a while? they can stick their hybrid model up their rear end.

thankfully i have a functional desk where my personal pc, and more importantly, my weed vaporizer sit.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Prole posted:

Once caught my boss getting a blowie off the bakery girl when I worked at the co-op. I never paid for a pastry from that day on...

'cause you started giving the boss blowies in exchange for free pastries?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Batterypowered7 posted:

'cause you started giving the boss blowies in exchange for free pastries?

Is that less illegal than soft blackmail? If so, yes.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

*So far!

Also works as a motivational poster to print out and pin to your cube wall to remind you that whatever you're going through now, it's not as bad as it could be :rory:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

update: the entire back half of the office is home under quarantine, which includes everyone in accounting except me. i sit up near my boss and bailed at noon on tuesday since I knew which way the wind was blowing, as all the account managers were still wandering around barking into their cell phones maskless

thankfully i just told my boss I was staying the gently caress away until the surge dies down (loooool) and her reply was "very good idea"

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I had a fun moment at the end of an internal interview for a new job a couple days ago. The position is currently WFH, but the company had been pushing to reopen the offices until the Omicron surge hit. So after I asked what the long term plans were (2 days in office, which days worked out with the other person in the position), I offhand mentioned that operations had been working in the office this whole time. The look on all the interviewing manager’s face when they processed that was amazing. A nice mix of confusion, disbelief, and maybe pity.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
Everyone but 2 people on the assembly line have fallen ill, with 2 machines still due today for the biggest trade show of the year this weekend. Census for the building is 10 out of 26 employees fit for work, most of those admin people

Been cleaning all morning to please management when it's lack of mask use that has sunk us and will sink us again when people come back next week still sick to infect the rest of us, lol.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
My buddy is being told he has to work in the office despite having a computer toucher role he could probably do from the ISS. The reason is 'optics' and 'other departments will get upset if they're allowed to work from home'. The company proudly states that safety always comes first.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TotalLossBrain posted:

loving same.

2% annual raise, get hosed folks. Been getting lots of interview requests and two of them are looking real good right now.
I warned my manager when this bullshit came through.

Update: lmao, one tried to lowball me under their listed minimum rate as their "maximum", the other couldn't even remember what position I applied for and immediately tried deflecting into a different, worse paid position. Nah, man. Time to keep looking. Gotta be something better out there.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'd say 90% of my employees with school aged children are now out as of this week due to the kids popping positive for covid. Why yes, they did return to in person classes for the spring semester, why do you ask?

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

I'd say 90% of my employees with school aged children are now out as of this week due to the kids popping positive for covid. Why yes, they did return to in person classes for the spring semester, why do you ask?

My kid's school had to go to virtual learning since teachers are sick and they ran out of substitute teachers. So working and and trying to help them with their homework has been a blast the past few days.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Because school districts here are desperate to stay open, we are holding in-person classes, regardless. My 5th period class normally has 30 students. Today, 14 showed up. Luckily it was a continuation of yesterday's assignment, so no real harm done.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Genesplicer posted:

Because school districts here are desperate to stay open, we are holding in-person classes, regardless. My 5th period class normally has 30 students. Today, 14 showed up. Luckily it was a continuation of yesterday's assignment, so no real harm done.

Lol

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

tactlessbastard posted:

This is one of the parts that made the least sense.
Sure sure, feed screaming souls into the altar of Moloch, but given then way diseases work, it'll only buy a week or so, tops.
What's even the point of that trade?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What was the assignment?

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

My kids’ school district has remained open even during last school year but they have been hyper vigilant with pods and masks since day 1. We have never had an outbreak in the elementary schools either. It is completely possible to do in person schooling during the pandemic if you can enforce the rules and get parental buy in on responsible behaviors. I am fortunate to live in the NE US in a very vaccinated area that doesn’t have many crazies though. My kids are under under 10 so doing things virtually would be extremely difficult for such a young age. They are vaccinated but not many other kids their age are yet unfortunately. I can understand why people think it’s crazy to do in person for school but it can be safe if force masks at all times and when not masked having distance, like when they eat lunch.

Remote learning for young children is really damaging for many kid and puts a lot of financial stress on families that cannot afford to either take time off from work for it or to hire someone to watch and help your kids with remote learning.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Toot toot I'm in COVID isolation

I'm manufacturing QA and my boss is dropping off a laptop so I can work from home

Work on WHAT, exactly? I touch parts for a living.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I feel like getting COVID is just an inevitability at this point. I'm the only brewer in a tiny brewery so uh... we'll see how that goes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

I'm manufacturing QA and my boss is dropping off a laptop so I can work from home

Probably so you can sit in online training courses for the next week until you wish the covid would kill you already.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MA-Horus posted:

Take the break for what it is and work on touching your own parts for a bit.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
My job requires us, on the first scheduled day each week, to go back in time and work the day before.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BounceBanana posted:

My job requires us, on the first scheduled day each week, to go back in time and work the day before.

When we invent time machines this is what they'll be used for. Hellworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We know time machines are impossible because industrialists would try to beat each other speed running to late stage capitalism from the stone age.