Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Right, but then it's a simple probation. I'm not sure there's a need for the intervening "please support your argument for why those people shouldn't have been parents in the first place," but if there is then I see a problem with the implementation.

Naw I get what you're saying, and it's something we're aware of and discussing. For the time being the system seems to be working though even aside from these edge cases.

For reference, I wouldn't have expected an argument in this case so much as a possible "sorry wrong forum" or "sorry just venting" which is the sort of thing I would take into consideration, almost certainly because I'm too nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

VitalSigns posted:

Make jobs pay people enough to raise a family on one income if they want, also make the government pay everyone enough to raise a family even if they don't work

Bing bang boom, you're welcome

Yeah, that's a solution, but the argument being made is that parents are worthy of criticism for needing schools to watch their kids during the day.

The fact that a society is possible that doesn't require both parents to work and somewhere to watch their kids doesn't mean that the parents can make that happen, so saying "you don't deserve to have kids because some other society that you don't live in can watch kids full time" is a bullshit argument.

Parents have zero practical control over the economic system of the country they live in.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Naw I get what you're saying, and it's something we're aware of and discussing. For the time being the system seems to be working though even aside from these edge cases.

For reference, I wouldn't have expected an argument in this case so much as a possible "sorry wrong forum" or "sorry just venting" which is the sort of thing I would take into consideration, almost certainly because I'm too nice

FWIW I think the new process is a definite improvement. previously it definitely seemed to me like differing opinions were getting dogpiled in D&D, especially pessimistic posting. which is weird because the pessimists have been unquestionably closer to the mark on COVID and the failure of American/global governmental responses over the past 2 years.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

FWIW I think the new process is a definite improvement. previously it definitely seemed to me like differing opinions were getting dogpiled in D&D, especially pessimistic posting. which is weird because the pessimists have been unquestionably closer to the mark on COVID and the failure of American/global governmental responses over the past 2 years.

Glad to hear it! I personally agree. I'll drop this discussion for now since it's not COVID related, but with a reminder to catalogue any ideas/thoughts you have for the next round of feedback, and if you feel something is critical or would be an immediate improvement, to PM a mod

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Fritz the Horse posted:

That's the moderation guideline right now - you can make any argument you like, but you need to be prepared to support it. I called out that part because I agree with you, the poster should defend it. After a few hours, they did not reply, so I issued them a day long probation.

I did a similar thing with the user who claimed that China was lying about their COVID case numbers and possibly deaths, I asked them to support that. And they did, there was some back and forth discussion of it.

We're only about a week into this new setup. For now I'll stick to the approach I've been taking and see how it plays out, though I'm not rejecting our ignoring your feedback. Maybe I'm giving too much slack to bad arguments? We'll do a feedback thread again in the not-too-distant future and I'm sure the "moderate based on quality of argument, not substance" rule will be discussed.

Thanks for the explanation

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Wang Commander posted:

I think a better vaccine program would be able to do a lot more than we're willing to admit, but the costs would be massive and a lot of it would end up going straight down a drain. It's certainly closer to feasible than any of the camps. We came drat close to defeating covid with a sterilizing vaccine administered during a trough and were only thwarted by a refusal to mandate, continue at least some NPIs temporarily, and a refusal to acknowledge waning for early vaccinees. We still refuse to admit the necessity of boosting every 0.5-3 months depending on the waning study you're looking at that day.

Hi there Wang Commander, are you actually saying that people need to be posted as much as twice a month? Or are you talking about initial doses, or perhaps making a joke related to your 30 boosters?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
And sidenote, the supreme court states that any mandate now needs to be done by Congress and Biden cannot unilaterally force it by executive action unless those jobs already had other mandated vaccinations.

How do you propose doing any widespread vaccine mandate when it looks like it needs to pass the senate to be able to happen, and likely will still be blocked by the courts for at least 6 months?

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

And sidenote, the supreme court states that any mandate now needs to be done by Congress and Biden cannot unilaterally force it by executive action unless those jobs already had other mandated vaccinations.

How do you propose doing any widespread vaccine mandate when it looks like it needs to pass the senate to be able to happen, and likely will still be blocked by the courts for at least 6 months?

I mean, "Let the Supreme Court enforce their ban" seems like a good idea to me. Not exactly a realistic idea, but it's an idea.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

ZarquonHigardi posted:

I mean, "Let the Supreme Court enforce their ban" seems like a good idea to me. Not exactly a realistic idea, but it's an idea.

Doesn't seem like much of an idea--"let the Biden Administration enforce its mandate" also is an option. If OSHA actually tried to assess a penalty against a company when SCOTUS has already invalidated the mandate, the company would just go to court and win.

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Doesn't seem like much of an idea--"let the Biden Administration enforce its mandate" also is an option. If OSHA actually tried to assess a penalty against a company when SCOTUS has already invalidated the mandate, the company would just go to court and win.

Yeah, sorry, I know it would never work, as someone with a million comorbities I'm just being snippy about a terrible ruling from some rather terrible people.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah, I've definitely picked up on this in here and just ignore it. Also stopped reading this thread every day because of all the doom-posting.

I think the most annoying thing is the lack of testing available. PCRs in my county have a week wait to get an appointment, plus 3-4 days to get results. Completely outside the timeline of being useful.
I just happened to have a handful of Binax home antigen tests that I dropped off at my daycare for the lady and her staff since they couldn't get any.

On a funny note, our house is a war zone with my wife and I trying to be on calls that we couldn't cancel or move. I was holding my daughter trying to find food for her for breakfast. My wife was talking on her meeting and my son ran over and punched me in the balls because I wasn't letting him have candy for breakfast. It's only 9:45am and the day has been so ridiculous it's crossed over into funny territory now. I'm about to start drinking already.

Aaaaand the staff tested positive

Woooooo!

gently caress

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Professor Beetus posted:

Hi there Wang Commander, are you actually saying that people need to be posted as much as twice a month? Or are you talking about initial doses, or perhaps making a joke related to your 30 boosters?

Unfortunately there are in fact studies showing the third dose takes a week to kick in and is waning at five weeks with Omicron. If you're using the vaccines to reduce transmission the difference between 45 and 70% against infection is huge!

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1474072056878804992?t=RcvzjeEaUS-gH31izkUNnQ&s=19

That's a tweet of the relevant chart from this briefing: https://t.co/lOqLhRGaU4

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Wang Commander posted:

Unfortunately there are in fact studies showing the third dose takes a week to kick in and is waning at five weeks with Omicron. If you're using the vaccines to reduce transmission the difference between 45 and 70% against infection is huge!

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1474072056878804992?t=RcvzjeEaUS-gH31izkUNnQ&s=19

That's a tweet of the relevant chart from this briefing: https://t.co/lOqLhRGaU4

Immediately following the charts in the document is the disclaimer:

quote:

These results should be interpreted with caution due to the low counts and the possible biases
related to the populations with highest exposure to Omicron (including travellers and their close
contacts) which cannot fully be accounted for.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1481034947506982914?s=20

https://twitter.com/CarlosdelRio7/status/1481670762658504705?s=20

Get your 2020 Republican talking points over here. They may be old and you may remember them as being too spicy but we’ve repackaged them to go down smoothly for all you liberal and democrats out there.

Get your 2020 Republican talking points, only costs your dignity…

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Raere posted:

Immediately following the charts in the document is the disclaimer:

I hear you but that's true of pretty much everything with a novel virus that's only emerged in the last 6 weeks

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I think that for the sake of people's mental health that it's a good idea to not pay attention to the daily numbers for a month or two. Of course you should still be cautious as poo poo and mask, social distance and get vaccinated for your physical health

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol yea stick to the horrific stories like this

quote:

People don't die with diarrhoea - not in Australia. We are a developed country. We are ranked 6th in the world for life expectancy. The family called 3 times for an ambulance and were told each time they could not spare an ambulance to get to them. They didn't say why but we all know why. It's the same reason there are no apples on the shelves. They tell the family to get in their car and drive to the ED. He arrests in the car on his way to the hospital. He cannot be resuscitated.

not trying to say you shouldn't take a break if you need it tho.

also perth has +1 case today, kid who was in home quarantine already

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Well, in the UK, cases seems to have peaked and are turning down, though too early to say what the baseline they'll drop to, and also hospitilisations for people suffering primarily from covid have even started to drop in London and places infect first, so it's not entirely unreasonable that the US peak is a few more weeks away.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Weasling Weasel posted:

Well, in the UK, cases seems to have peaked and are turning down, though too early to say what the baseline they'll drop to, and also hospitilisations for people suffering primarily from covid have even started to drop in London and places infect first, so it's not entirely unreasonable that the US peak is a few more weeks away.

just in time for the super bowl lmao

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Okay, so this question might be tangentially relevant for the thread, so I'll just drop it here. Maybe someone has something interesting to share.

For a work-related (virtual) conference I'm asked to drum up a speaker. We are looking for someone with a background in epidemiology, or a statistician, or any model researcher, to tell a bunch of actuaries how the models work that predict COVID curves. Like, what flavors are there, what parameters and assumptions go in there, how are they validated, how well do they work, and so forth. The background is that the companies attending the conference all have actuaries who have tried themselves to assess how COVID will affect various insurances. However, they typically have no relevant experience. So for many companies, assessing the effects of COVID on their business has been more or less guesswork. We would like someone with COVID modelling experience to show them how these models work. Maybe that can spark some inspiration in some attendees for the next crisis.

From my past experience in research, PhD students can often be motivated to talk about their work under the broad umbrealla of science outreach and personal networking (and if it's physical, a nice lunch). The format shouldn't be too challenging, it'd be a very informal workshop session. But I don't know what discipline to look for exactly and I'm hesitant to just cold-call a bunch of principal investigators or health departments who might have their hands full. Anyone know where best to start?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Get your 2020 Republican talking points over here. They may be old and you may remember them as being too spicy but we’ve repackaged them to go down smoothly for all you liberal and democrats out there.

How are statements about a variant identified less than two months ago equivalent to Republican talking points from 2020? Do explain.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

tagesschau posted:

How are statements about a variant identified less than two months ago equivalent to Republican talking points from 2020? Do explain.

Covid is discovered in late 2019….republicans say to just let it runs its course.

Covid variant is discovered late 2021…Dems say might as well let it run its course.

I guess there is a SLIGHT difference.

Also why does the a “variant” suddenly change the situation? I’ve seen a lot of “well it’s a variant” defense come up from Dem-sphere and it doesn’t make sense to me. Let’s say it’s a brand new pandemic entirely. How does that suddenly mean the Dems should be given a pass for their lack of response vs republicans lack of response in 2020?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I’ve seen a lot of “well it’s a variant” defense come up from Dem-sphere and it doesn’t make sense to me.

You think R0 is completely irrelevant, and has no bearing on the truth of the 2019/2020 statements versus the 2021/2022 statements? Especially when omicron is one of the more infectious diseases ever measured?

And you really should internalize the fact that the president cannot fail to do something he cannot do in the first place. You keep insisting that Joe Biden should just go in and mandate masking everywhere in Florida, for instance, even though he has no legal or practical power to do so.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Denmark - 14 January 2022

I think I will be moving most of the older data to a Google Sheet or something soon.

The Children are Burning:
Last 7 days cases ( on each of 14 Jan - 13 Jan - 12 Jan - 11 Jan - 10 Jan - 07 Jan) split into three age groups so I don't have massive tables:
0-19 years 36.5% - 35.6% - 34.2% - 31.8% - 30.1% - 27%
20-39 years 33.8% - 34.7% - 36.1% - 38.2% - 39.1% - 40%
40+ years 29.8% - 29.7% - 29.6% - 30.0% - 30.7% - 33%

So apparently as kids are getting it, ICU is clearing out. 60 COVID beds are the lowest in a month.

pre:
Table 1. Denmark Covid Cases reported per day (not on day tested!!!)
-----------------------------------
Jan 14  23,614 new cases, 1519 reinfections, 215 new hospitalizations (757 total), 60 ICU (-4), 36 Vent (-2), 15 dead , 156 psych w/covid
Jan 13  25,751 new cases, 1822 reinfections, 194 new hospitalizations (755 total), 64 ICU (-9), 38 Vent (-8), 20 dead , 153 psych w/covid
Jan 12  24,343 new cases, 1614 reinfections, 215 new hospitalizations (751 total), 73 ICU  (0), 46 Vent  (0), 25 dead , 138 psych w/covid
Jan 11  22,936 new cases, 1459 reinfections, 181 new hospitalizations (754 total), 73 ICU (-1), 46 Vent (-1), 14 dead , 136 psych w/covid
Jan 10  14,414 new cases,  941 reinfections, 156 new hospitalizations (777 total), 74 ICU (-3), 47 Vent (-3),  9 dead 
Jan 09  19,248 new cases, 1327 reinfections, 126 new hospitalizations (723 total), 77 ICU (-1), 50 Vent (-2), 14 dead 
Jan 08  12,588 new cases,  984 reinfections, 161 new hospitalizations (730 total), 78 ICU  (0), 52 Vent (-1), 28 dead 
Jan 07  18,261 new cases, 1482 reinfections, 186 new hospitalizations (755 total), 78 ICU (-4), 53 Vent (+4), 10 dead  
Jan 06  25,995 new cases, 2027 reinfections, 161 new hospitalizations (756 total), 82 ICU (+2), 47 Vent (-2), 11 dead  
Jan 05  28,283 new cases, 2083 reinfections, 204 new hospitalizations (784 total), 80 ICU (+3), 49 Vent (+2), 15 dead  <-- NYE + Xmas ow
Jan 04* 23,372 new cases, 1701 reinfections, 229 new hospitalizations (792 total), 77 ICU (+4), 47 Vent (+1), 15 dead  <-- spike in hospital wow
Jan 03*  8,801 new cases,  532 reinfections, 169 new hospitalizations (770 total), 73 ICU (-3), 46 Vent (-4),  5 dead
Jan 02   7,550 new cases,  404 reinfections, 163 new hospitalizations (709 total), 76 ICU (+3), 50 Vent (+1), 15 dead
Jan 01  20,885 new cases, 1049 reinfections, 139 new hospitalizations (647 total), 73 ICU (+0), 49 Vent (+0),  5 dead
Dec 31  17,605 new cases, 1090 reinfections, 177 new hospitalizations (641 total), 73 ICU (-2), 49 Vent (-1), 11 dead
Dec 30  21,403 new cases, 1123 reinfections, 178 new hospitalizations (665 total), 75 ICU (-2), 50 Vent (-2),  9 dead
Dec 29  23,228 new cases, 1205 reinfections, 173 new hospitalizations (675 total), 77 ICU (+6), 52 Vent (+2), 16 dead
Dec 28  13,000 new cases,  670 reinfections, 177 new hospitalizations (666 total), 71 ICU (+1), 50 Vent (+4), 14 dead
Dec 27  16,164 new cases,  639 reinfections, 115 new hospitalizations (608 total), 70 ICU (-1), 46 Vent (-2),  7 dead
Dec 26  14,844 new cases,  644 reinfections, 123 new hospitalizations (579 total), 71 ICU (-2), 43 Vent (+1), 13 dead
Dec 25  10,027 new cases,  463 reinfections,  86 new hospitalizations (522 total), 73 ICU (-1), 44 Vent (+5), 10 dead
Dec 24  11,229 new cases,  527 reinfections, 134 new hospitalizations (509 total), 74 ICU (+2), 39 vent (+1), 14 dead
Dec 23  12,487 new cases,  613 reinfections, 158 new hospitalizations (541 total), 72 ICU (+6), 38 vent (+1), 15 dead
Dec 22  13,386 new cases,  531 reinfections, 126 new hospitalizations (524 total), 66 ICU (-1), 37 vent (+2), 14 dead 
Dec 21  13,558 new cases,  501 reinfections, 121 new hospitalizations (526 total), 67 ICU (+1), 35 vent (+2), 17 dead
Dec 20  10,082 new cases,  (no reinf. data),  85 new hospitalizations (581 total), 66 ICU (+3), 33 vent (-2),  8 dead
Dec 19   8,212 new cases
Dec 18   8,594 new cases
Dec 17  11,194 new cases
Dec 16   9,999 new cases
Dec 15   8,773 new cases,  ??? reinfections,  96 new hospitalizations (508 total), 66 ICU (+0), 43 vent (-3),  9 dead
Dec 13   7,799 new cases,  ??? reinfections,  61 new hospitalizations (480 total), 64 ICU (-1), 42 vent (0),   9 dead
Dec 12   5,989 new cases,  ??? reinfections,  82 new hospitalizations (468 total), 65 ICU (+5), 42 vent (+6),  9 dead
Dec 08   6,629 new cases,  ??? reinfections,  72 new hospitalizations (461 total), 66 ICU (-1), 38 vent (-1),  7 dead
Dec 01   5,120 new cases,  ??? reinfections,  88 new hospitalizations (439 total), 35 ICU (+1), 35 vent (+1), 14 dead

Table 2. Actual cases by date tested - these roll in for a few days so minor changes will happen.
pre:
Jan 13 11,077 (partial)
Jan 12 22,445 
Jan 11 22,648
Jan 10 23,244
Jan 09 16,329
Jan 08 13,573 
Jan 07 14,431
Jan 06 15,415
Jan 05 17,577
Jan 04 23,697
Jan 03 25,618
Jan 02 19,905
Jan 01  8,630
Dec 31  9,727
Dec 30 19,226
Dec 29 17,244
Dec 28 21,955
Dec 27 22,616
Dec 26 10,966
Dec 25  7,853
Dec 24  7,054
From rkkp.dk, who track ICU bed availability bi-weekly in Denmark (https://www.rkkp.dk/kvalitetsdatabaser/databaser/dansk-intensiv-database/resultater/)

pre:
Table 3:   ICU status (reported biweekly)
------------------------------
03 January  	331 ICU beds, 76 COVID, 32 available
27 December	316 ICU beds, 71 COVID, 62 available 
20 December 	317 ICU beds, 60 COVID, 59 available
13 December 	319 ICU beds, 64 COVID, 39 available
06 December 	310 ICU beds, 67 COVID, 10 available <-- squeaky bum time here
29 November	318 ICU beds, 61 COVID, 25 available
Since yesterday, rates per 100,000 population.

pre:
Table 4.  Rates per 100,000
                                  Unvaccinated              Partial           Full                           Unvaccinated    Partial    Full
14 JAN    New cases:                     435.1                416.8          324.5    Hospitalizations:              40.7       34.7   10.0
13 JAN    New cases:                     497.6                531.1          354.2    Hospitalizations:              41.0       38.3    9.8
12 JAN    New cases:                     474.2                457.2          333.0    Hospitalizations:              49.4       35.0   10.0
11 JAN    New cases:                     447.9                434.8          303.3    Hospitalizations:              40.3       34.9   10.1
10 JAN    New cases:                     292.3                276.6          192.2    Hospitalizations:              42.8       34.8   10.3
09 JAN    New cases:                     403.6                367.3          276.6    Hospitalizations:              40.6       35.3    9.4
08 JAN    New cases:                     264.2                245.5          186.6    Hospitalizations:              39.7       31.3    9.8
07 JAN    New cases:                     413.9                365.6          272.3    Hospitalizations:              41.3       30.6   10.2
06 JAN    New cases:                     566.3                561.1          398.6    Hospitalizations:              40.4       33.9   10.3
05 JAN    New cases:                     586.9                576.8          445.9    Hospitalizations:              43.0       30.6   10.5
04 JAN*   New cases:                     512.2                533.3          390.8    Hospitalizations:              43.6       28.9   11.0
03 JAN*   New cases:                     165.6                153.7          135.7    Hospitalizations:              42.2       23.4   10.5
02 JAN    New cases:                     152.8                150.7          124.7    Hospitalizations:              41.4       18.7    9.5
01 JAN    New cases:                     437.8                413.6          331.2    Hospitalizations:              38.6       18.4    8.6
31 DEC    New cases:                     341.1                334.2          300.2    Hospitalizations:              37.8       20.7    8.6
30 DEC    New cases:                     409.2                391.5          345.5    Hospitalizations:              39.4       21.1    8.9
29 DEC    New cases:                     443.6                446.0          377.4    Hospitalizations:              40.1       18.5    9.1
28 DEC    New cases:                     237.3                208.2          210.2    Hospitalizations:              40.5       16.9    8.6
27 DEC    New cases:                     304.4                324.9          263.3    Hospitalizations:              40.0       15.8    7.8
26 DEC    New cases:                     310.4                274.9          241.2    Hospitalizations:              39.0       15.4    7.3
25 DEC    New cases:                     181.6                162.1          161.5    Hospitalizations:              33.9       16.0    6.8
24 DEC    New cases:                     184.1                173.0          182.1    Hospitalizations:              34.5       14.9    7.1
23 DEC    New cases:                     237.1                202.6          197.9    Hospitalizations:              35.4       16.2    7.5
22 DEC    New cases:                     257.1                198.1          211.7    Hospitalizations:              34.2       15.3    7.3
21 DEC    New cases:                     270.1                226.2          207.8    Hospitalizations:              32.9       14.3    7.5
20 DEC    New cases:                     201.2                154.4          149.0    Hospitalizations:              34.0       15.6    7.7
17 DEC    New cases:                     252.1                199.3          172.9    Hospitalizations:              31.0       14.9    6.8
15 DEC    New cases:                     216.0                153.3          121.6    Hospitalizations:              31.3       11.7    6.7
13 DEC    New cases:                     215.3                131.3          100.8    Hospitalizations:              29.8       11.5    6.6
08 DEC    New cases:                     193.5                126.9           80.9    Hospitalizations:              27.5        8.7    6.5
01 DEC    New cases:                     162.4                102.1          59.84    Hospitalizations:              24.6       11.3    6.1
25 NOV    New cases:                     134.7                120.9          52.97    Hospitalizations:              21.9        7.2    5.9
Report on PCR tests for Omicron as a percentage of variant tests hit various levels on various days:
pre:
1.77% on 1 December
4.8% on 6 December
10% on 8 December
22% on 12 December
37% on 14 December
50% on 17 December
60% on 20 December
70% on 21 December
74% on 22 December
81% on 24 December 
84% on 26 December
86% on 27 December
92% on 29 December
93.6% on 01 January
96% on 07 January

Sources:
https://covid19.ssi.dk/overvagningsdata/download-fil-med-overvaagningdata
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/242ec2acc014456295189631586f1d26
https://covid19.ssi.dk/virusvarianter/delta-pcr

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 14, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oops wrong thread

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

tagesschau posted:

You think R0 is completely irrelevant, and has no bearing on the truth of the 2019/2020 statements versus the 2021/2022 statements? Especially when omicron is one of the more infectious diseases ever measured?

And you really should internalize the fact that the president cannot fail to do something he cannot do in the first place. You keep insisting that Joe Biden should just go in and mandate masking everywhere in Florida, for instance, even though he has no legal or practical power to do so.

This sounds an awful lot like “it’s (D)ifferent”. The initial version of Covid was also contagious which is why (incredibly flimsy) lockdowns were in place, mask mandates were in place, and distant learning was in place. The goal was to flatten the curve. Why are we not doing those same measures with an even MORE infectious variant that is overwhelming the healthcare system and causing an estimated 1 American to die every minute (going by 7 day average)?

I’ll also request the same thing of you that I did Vox:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Vox I noticed that your specialty in this forum appears to be shooting down idea of a functioning government. Can you provide details on how we could actually flatten the line of covid infections?

Otherwise it sounds like you are doing a lot of “death by a thousand paper cuts”.

Saying “not much more than he has” is an option but it also means Joe is a complete and utter failure culpable of letting Covid rip through the American public per his own words:

https://youtu.be/IauHea4H0L0

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This sounds an awful lot like “it’s (D)ifferent”.

Yes, different things are different. I'm glad you agree.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The initial version of Covid was also contagious which is why (incredibly flimsy) lockdowns were in place, mask mandates were in place, and distant learning was in place. The goal was to flatten the curve. Why are we not doing those same measures with an even MORE infectious variant that is overwhelming the healthcare system and causing an estimated 1 American to die every minute (going by 7 day average)?

Using the example of Florida again, it's because Ron DeSantis doesn't want to. You seem to think Joe Biden can overrule DeSantis, either legally or practically, with the stroke of a pen, but that is not a reality-based view.

You seem to think government is automatically ineffective if it's not a dictatorship that does the things you personally want. I'm not going to join you in that delusion.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

tagesschau posted:

Yes, different things are different. I'm glad you agree.

Using the example of Florida again, it's because Ron DeSantis doesn't want to. You seem to think Joe Biden can overrule DeSantis, either legally or practically, with the stroke of a pen, but that is not a reality-based view.

You seem to think government is automatically ineffective if it's not a dictatorship that does the things you personally want. I'm not going to join you in that delusion.

Ok. I’m pretty sure DeSantis doesn’t prevent the Biden admin ensuring the CDC places KN95 or better mask guidance in place, as well as proper isolation guidance (with required testing), or classroom guidance recommending distance learning. Biden can also lead his party to implement measures in Dem controlled states. That’s not a dictatorship or whatever nonsense you are banging on about.

Can you answer the second part of my post?

“Can you provide details on how we could actually flatten the line of covid infections?”

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Ok. I’m pretty sure DeSantis doesn’t prevent the Biden admin ensuring the CDC places KN95 or better mask guidance in place, as well as proper isolation guidance (with required testing), or classroom guidance recommending distance learning. Biden can also lead his party to implement measures in Dem controlled states. That’s not a dictatorship or whatever nonsense you are banging on about.

The CDC and other governmental scientific bodies are supposed to take marching orders directly from the White House? What color Sharpie do you think the president should use for that purpose?

And DeSantis and the legislature can absolutely stymie the implementation in Florida of all of the things you list above. Even in New York State, a number of counties and localities are outright defying public-health orders they disagree with.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Can you answer the second part of my post?

What, the misdirection you threw in there so you could pretend you weren't getting your rear end handed to you on the bogus claim that the Democrats are recycling Republican talking points from the start of the pandemic? Sure, I guess.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

“Can you provide details on how we could actually flatten the line of covid infections?”

There's not a lot that can be meaningfully done in the face of intransigent state and local authorities who will fight effective measures every step of the way. Why do you think the responsibility for fixing this lies solely with the president, and what do you think he is failing to do to flatten the curve? (Remember that your answer is limited to the powers he actually has, not the ones you imagine.)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

tagesschau posted:

The CDC and other governmental scientific bodies are supposed to take marching orders directly from the White House? What color Sharpie do you think the president should use for that purpose?

The CDC already changed their rules on masks and isolation per the direction of the Biden admin. Your sharpie comment is unwarranted.

quote:

And DeSantis and the legislature can absolutely stymie the implementation in Florida of all of the things you list above. Even in New York State, a number of counties and localities are outright defying public-health orders they disagree with.

You keep blaming DeSantis (and I assume other republican governors). What is stopping Biden from being the party leader and requesting Dem governors issue mask mandates and distance learning?

quote:

What, the misdirection you threw in there so you could pretend you weren't getting your rear end handed to you on the bogus claim that the Democrats are recycling Republican talking points from the start of the pandemic? Sure, I guess.

This is uncalled for given then I had provided mitigation efforts that were done in 2020 that are not being completed in 2022. It seems you are moving to insults rather than addressing the points I am making.

quote:

There's not a lot that can be meaningfully done in the face of intransigent state and local authorities who will fight effective measures every step of the way. Why do you think the responsibility for fixing this lies solely with the president, and what do you think he is failing to do to flatten the curve? (Remember that your answer is limited to the powers he actually has, not the ones you imagine.)

So what was Biden going on about here:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1322320377943527424?s=20

This doesn’t leave any wiggle room on where the buck stops.

It appears you are saying there is nothing the Biden admin can do and covid must simply run its course.

It sounds as if you are agreeing with Trump:

https://youtu.be/5Cs_1iYWIhI

vvvv fair enough. However when suggestions are presented and shot down without an alternative I take issue with that. It comes across as complaining instead looking for potential solutions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 14, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Honestly, coming from the UK (which is a centralised government) and now living in Canada (which is set up similar to the US but has a way stronger federal government), the US seems pretty ungovernable. The states and even municipalities can pretty much do whatever the gently caress they like and everything is so politically partisan, one of your two main parties low-key believes it's a Chinese hoax still and is actively courting people who believe that the vaccine is the devils plan. How the hell do you deal with that?

edit: also vbC, every single post you've made in this thread is some variant on 'and that's why the Dems and Biden Are Terrible.' Like we get it, they haven't done great, but you've been shoehorning it in even when people are talking about other countries that having nothing to do with the 'Dems'

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

enki42 posted:

I don't know what the proposed solution is supposed to be that makes the parents worthy of having children. Is the point that we need to force people to be housewives and / or househusbands again? Because I don't see any other option, and for the most part one persons salary can't support a family unless you're fairly well off anyway.

many progressive offices allow dogs, and, frankly, my 5 year old is much better at self-monitoring than a loving dog could ever be. Give her markers, a dollhouse and an ipad, tell her she has to play with drawing and the dollhouse for 60 mins to earn 30 mins on the iPad, and she'll basically alternate these things indefinitely with very little input. She even goes to the bathroom by herself!

"Kid friendly offices" are clearly a thing of the post-covid, post-functional-public-ed world. And then it'll be like, your office also teaches your kid, and so if you work at Google your kid gets a generally better but also much more fascist education than if you worked at Yahoo\!.

Alctel posted:

How the hell do you deal with that?
We maintain a 2 week supply of water, a 6 week supply of food, various medications and antibiotics, and I am in the process of buying an AK-47 to supplement the random firearms, bows and blades that we use to scare off large predators and deal with suspiciously friendly raccoons.

This is less dealing with anything than preparing for the inevitable :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 14, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

many progressive offices allow dogs, and, frankly, my 5 year old is much better at self-monitoring than a loving dog could ever be. Give her markers, a dollhouse and an ipad, tell her she has to play with drawing and the dollhouse for 60 mins to earn 30 mins on the iPad, and she'll basically alternate these things indefinitely with very little input. She even goes to the bathroom by herself!

"Kid friendly offices" are clearly a thing of the post-covid, post-functional-public-ed world. And then it'll be like, your office also teaches your kid, and so if you work at Google your kid gets a generally better but also much more fascist education than if you worked at Yahoo\!.

I don't know if I'd consider "your child's education is now provided by a corporation" an aspirational vision of the future, exactly. Also, this is very much a solution for the computer toucher office crowd. No one's bringing their kids to Walmart or an Amazon warehouse.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

What is stopping Biden from being the party leader and requesting Dem governors issue mask mandates and distance learning?

Addressed above:

tagesschau posted:

Even in New York State, a number of counties and localities are outright defying public-health orders they disagree with.

But since one example isn't good enough for you, I'll throw in two other anecdotes from blue states. The sheriff of the country's most populous county, in California, outright refused to enforce a vaccine mandate for his staff. The mayor of Chicago is insisting that in-person schooling resume. None of this stems from Biden's action or inaction.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is uncalled for

It's perfectly justified. You said the Democrats were recycling Republican talking points from 2020. I pointed out why that isn't the case. You then changed the subject.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It appears you are saying there is nothing the Biden admin can do and covid must simply run its course.

What can the Biden administration do to stop community spread of COVID in places where the state, county, and/or municipal authorities have decided that attempts to mitigate it are either not required or banned?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It sounds as if you are agreeing with Trump

If you're not paying attention, perhaps it does.

Alctel posted:

Canada (which is set up similar to the US but has a way stronger federal government)

Canada's federal government is actually much weaker. There are certain powers that Congress can grab for itself that are explicitly reserved to the provinces in Canada.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

enki42 posted:

I don't know if I'd consider "your child's education is now provided by a corporation" an aspirational vision of the future, exactly. Also, this is very much a solution for the computer toucher office crowd. No one's bringing their kids to Walmart or an Amazon warehouse.
Don't worry, I'm sure this SCOTUS will find a reason to invalidate child labor laws. Walmart and Amazon warehouses will likely be crawling with kids in the not-so-distant future.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

tagesschau posted:

Addressed above:

But since one example isn't good enough for you, I'll throw in two other anecdotes from blue states. The sheriff of the country's most populous county, in California, outright refused to enforce a vaccine mandate for his staff. The mayor of Chicago is insisting that in-person schooling resume. None of this stems from Biden's action or inaction.

Biden has not lead his party to put mask mandates and distance learning in place. Your example of Chicago is a great one because Biden should be publicly calling out Lightfoot for her callous behavior.

Also I seem to recall there were actions taken when desegregation was going on and local counties didn’t abide by the rules. Something about enforcement using tools within the executive branch.

quote:

It's perfectly justified. You said the Democrats were recycling Republican talking points from 2020. I pointed out why that isn't the case. You then changed the subject.

I pointed out that Dems are using the same language as the republicans in 2020 that everyone is going to get covid anyway. You have not addressed how it is different other than there is a variant. It is still a virus and we are still in a pandemic. This as pedantic as complaint about about someone typing the number 4 instead of the word four.

quote:

What can the Biden administration do to stop community spread of COVID in places where the state, county, and/or municipal authorities have decided that attempts to mitigate it are either not required or banned?

I have already said he ISN’T even doing anything in states and counties with Dem control. It sounds as if you are saying there is absolutely nothing Biden can do. I have asked you for examples of what he can do and all you have done is put your hand up and said “he can’t do anything”. Offer solutions.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 14, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

tagesschau posted:

Canada's federal government is actually much weaker. There are certain powers that Congress can grab for itself that are explicitly reserved to the provinces in Canada.

Yeah I guess that's true. It's easy to forget because the way congress is currently setup means that Eternal Deadlock is pretty much baked into the system now, while a federal majority government (or a minority government with support) in a Westminster system can do whatever it wants pretty much.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Attention VBC and tagesschau: If you're going to keep repeating the same arguments ad nauseum maybe it's time for you both to take a break. It's feeling very circular.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Uk cases finally dropped underneath 100,000 today.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=overview%26areaName=United%20Kingdom#card-cases_by_specimen_date

It is very much looking like it's following the South Africa pattern now, with deaths still not really having increased massively.
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths#card-daily_deaths_with_covid-19_on_the_death_certificate_by_date_of_death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

We maintain a 2 week supply of water, a 6 week supply of food, various medications and antibiotics, and I am in the process of buying an AK-47 to supplement the random firearms, bows and blades that we use to scare off large predators and deal with suspiciously friendly raccoons.

This is less dealing with anything than preparing for the inevitable :allears:

Don’t forget the bug out bag.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1481808963507265538?s=20

Almost at a million cases a day for the 7 day average.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1481427790692036610?s=20

Hospitals are overwhelmed so we may also see folks die from diarrhea because there aren’t enough beds / resources.