Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have we even seen the Slave 1? I feel like Boba should be dropping seismic charges and using his very powerful ship to do cool like.

Like blowing up the mayor with a seismic charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Handen posted:

I just canceled my D+ subscription because the only reason I re-subscribed was to watch this goddamn show. In the "Reason for canceling?" screen I selected "Other" and wrote "Boba Fett show kinda sucks." :piss:

:waycool:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
My issue with the show so far is it’s just all over the place. Whether in structure of the plot, overall tone, Boba’s characterization and motivations… I’m mostly enjoying the show, but it really feels like it could go off the rails at any moment.

Not that the Mandalorian is without issues obviously, but I think its ‘case of the week’ structure gives it a foundation that smoothes out the other inconsistencies. Whereas BoBF seems to have been structured from the beginning as a 7 hour story, and then split awkwardly into episodes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How many episode the season has? Just feels like a whole lot of nothing going on with no real direction of where it’s going yet.
Seven. It already feels like it's repeating some beats in episode 3. If something's good I want it to last a while but with this I think I'm glad it's going to be over relatively soon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think it all hinges on the non-RR episodes. Since episode 2 was pretty drat good.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dr.Radical posted:

Holy poo poo Matt Berry’s droid briefing was amazing. His voice is great.

Is there any information about rancors in the old EU? Because it seems like they just thought of the scene in ROTJ where Luke kills Jabba’s rancor and the trainer comes out weeping. “Oh wow that trainer took it hard. Wonder why” So they say that the rancor is very emotionally complex, trainers get attached.

The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton introduces us to Dathomir as supposedly the native home of rancors, which are used as mounts for Force-sensitive "witches." This was adapted into the new canon by making the witches a literal matriarchy-based coven of witches where Asajj Ventress comes from, as seen in the Clone Wars tv series and the Fallen Order video game. There hasn't been any mention of a connection with rancors (as far as I'm aware) until now.

Courtship is also a loving insane book involving witch titties, exploding teeth, and Han winning the planet in a sabacc game and absconding there with Leia after kidnapping her with a mind-rape gun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It was also my favorite book of all time when I was 13.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vintersorg posted:

I think it all hinges on the non-RR episodes. Since episode 2 was pretty drat good.

Yeah, I'm thinking the rest of the show (minus the finale) should be a different beast.

Well, hoping.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think this review get is: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/th...u44gaIrIINuyaFo

The arc of the story is a bit obvious, but the starting point and the 'why are you telling this story' are not. The single location of Mos Espa can't really sustain a Star Wars story, which is why the rotating cast of villains cycling in feels off. The way the story has been broken across the first three episodes is unnecessarily off-beat.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

feedmyleg posted:

It was also my favorite book of all time when I was 13.

:same: It was the first Star Wars novel I ever read and that's the only reason I remember that crazy poo poo so vividly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I remember there being a short story, now Legends, where Jabba sends a captured Leia up to Bobba's room as a gratuity for capturing Solo.

Bobba assures her nothing is going to happen because, and I swear I remember this right even though I read it like 25 years ago: He doesn't agree with premarital sex.

Leia is like "yeah it would also be rape dude" and he allows as a secondary consideration that that, too, is also bad. Along with sex outside wedlock.

So according to the old EU Bobba is a huge dork.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm really frustrated with The Book of Robert Feet's lack of violence and this is a broader issue with Disney+. There are no R-rated movies on the service and there never will be. Ideally a Robert Feet show should be more like The Punisher.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

AndyElusive posted:

I'm really frustrated with The Book of Robert Feet's lack of violence and this is a broader issue with Disney+. There are no R-rated movies on the service and there never will be. Ideally a Robert Feet show should be more like The Punisher.

Source your quotes

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Space Racist posted:

My issue with the show so far is it’s just all over the place. Whether in structure of the plot, overall tone, Boba’s characterization and motivations… I’m mostly enjoying the show, but it really feels like it could go off the rails at any moment.

I agree. It feels oddly scattered and out of order. Like it should have ended with Fett killing Bib. Boba Fett gets rescued by the Sand People, finds out that Jabba’s empire is a mess, starts working on getting control of the fragments, rumors swirl about Boba Fett being back from the dead, and the final piece is getting his armor back for the big reveal that Boba Fett, Crime Lord, is now king. Then he goes to murder Bib.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hazo posted:

Source your quotes

https://twitter.com/DrewSav/status/1481435886889967622

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aren't there Miramax movies on it if you have a regular account?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Robert in the original series was a killer. Now, he's more prone to making new chums and forgiving everyone. Star Woke.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I think next time someone makes a play for Boba he should cut out their eyes in a graphic scene with closeups, then stand them up and slip a noose around their neck with just enough play for them to stand upright before breaking both their shins with a gaffe stick.

Then we watch a four minute montage that shows them left overnight alternately weeping from the pain of bearing weight on their broken legs to keep the noose from choking them, and rasping as they are forced to rest them and let the noose cut off their air.

Now that's star wars.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vintersorg posted:

Aren't there Miramax movies on it if you have a regular account?

I forget if it's mentioned in that thread or some other place I've seen this same convo play out but there's a lot of stuff not on Disney+ because of Hulu or HBO Max and so it sounds like Disney+ is more PG in America than it is in other countries.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly showing Boba I dunno do his job as crime lord would be a good start. Like he’s claiming tribute and saying this is his territory now but we’ve only seen him deal with poo poo exactly once (and he just hired the kids) and the rest of the time he’s just been getting dunked and beaten or owned in some way. The only progress he’s made has only been in the context of the flashbacks of when he was rescued and brought up by the tusken.

His organization as of the last episode was literally 4 people and a robot? And now he’s got an additional gang of 9? And this is supposed to keep the various factions and groups in check and keeping tributes flowing his way?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's almost as if this show is gradually telling a story.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

AndyElusive posted:

It's almost as if this show is really bad at gradually telling a story.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, 3 episodes in and it's probably hit its peak already. That's a wrap. Time of death, LAST WEDNESDAY.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol this is the third show in a row this winter season that I've followed where it fluctuates between "this is fun" to "this is the worst goddamn thing in existence I'm canceling my subscription I hate you Disney".

First it was Netflix Bebop
Second it was Witcher season 2
Now it's Bobert Fettriguez

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You can't be up to episode 4 of 7 and still saying 'you just need to let the show find it's stride'. We're halfway through. Even if the second half of the show turns out to be gold, the first half will still have been an odd mess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember when episode 4 of the Mandalorian aired and people started yelling about how it was the worst because they thought the show was going to be a long serial and then it turned out to actually be a weekly standalone adventure show.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

lmao what a fuckin goober

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's like half the posts made here within the last 3 days

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think the weakest thing on the show so far is definitely the structure. They could essentially tell the same story, same scenes we've seen, but in a different manner and probably have had a lot stronger showing. Part of that would probably be re-arranging the first 3 episodes in a way where each is longer and things like the Tusken resolution occurs at the end of episode 2. Like make that the end of the episode entirely, they blow up the train everyone is feeling good, Fett gets inducted into the group, he goes and acts like a big badass to the pykes and then woops they got loving wiped out.

edit: the review brings up my point which is that this is functioning essentially as bite sized pieces of a movie, rather than the prestige drama method of telling a serialized story with very strong individual episode cohesion. Episode 2 was the greatest episode so far because the in episode cohesion was Boba over coming the train terrorizing the people he joined at the end of the episode 1 and at the end of episode 2 being brought into the tribe properly.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 14, 2022

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Dr.Radical posted:

Is there any information about rancors in the old EU? Because it seems like they just thought of the scene in ROTJ where Luke kills Jabba’s rancor and the trainer comes out weeping. “Oh wow that trainer took it hard. Wonder why” So they say that the rancor is very emotionally complex, trainers get attached.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_Wildlife_of_Star_Wars:_A_Field_Guide
There was a "Wildlife of Star Wars" book released in 2001 that portrayed Rancors as (at the very least) caring for their offspring, with the kids clinging to the mother until they reach maturity.
Posting the image because I think it's adorable.

Other than that, this page probably contains most EU info.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rancor/Legends

Handen posted:

I just canceled my D+ subscription because the only reason I re-subscribed was to watch this goddamn show. In the "Reason for canceling?" screen I selected "Other" and wrote "Boba Fett show kinda sucks." :piss:

And then everybody stood up and clapped.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I am blinded by fury at the lack of graphic adult programming from the media empire best known for pretty princesses, talking animals, and songs about friendship :rackem:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/STACEYNIGHTMARE/status/1481827094778810376?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love that all these posters are canceling their subscriptions but are still going to be here next Wednesday complaining about the next episode.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

I love that all these posters are canceling their subscriptions but are still going to be here next Wednesday complaining about the next episode.

you know book of boba fett is a true star wars property because fans are extremely mad

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m finally getting around to watching Star Wars Visions. Holy gently caress The Duel was goddamn amazing. Please tell me that poo poo is now greenlit for an entire series?!

Rhapsody was dumb but not comply horrible. The band grew on me towards the end. Boba Fett was pretty awesome in it. The ending was mega dumb though.

Gonna try and watch some more later tonight.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

boba fett is going to disintegrate someone next week and everyones gonna be like :five:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerkface posted:

boba fett is going to disintegrate someone next week and everyones gonna be like :five:

Or he doesn't and instead he shakes the guys hand after hiring them. Then everyone immediately cancels their Disney+ accounts after the end credits and runs to their phones to make a forum post about it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sorry people aren't liking the show as much as you. I guess no one should post unless you have glowing things to say?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't you hear? We're only allowed to post criticisms if we also provide a 1000 word essay on why the series is Good, Actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m finally getting around to watching Star Wars Visions. Holy gently caress The Duel was goddamn amazing. Please tell me that poo poo is now greenlit for an entire series?!

Rhapsody was dumb but not comply horrible. The band grew on me towards the end. Boba Fett was pretty awesome in it. The ending was mega dumb though.

Gonna try and watch some more later tonight.

The Duel got a novel expansion called Star Wars: Ronin.

Rhapsody was the weakest episode for me and it has no legs to go further. The Twins may or may not be the worst thing but that depends entirely on your opinion of cocaine and Studio Trigger productions.

I'd like to see The Ninth Jedi expanded into a full run, but holy hell they'd need to get a different voice actor because Masi Oka was loving awful in the English dub.