Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Epic biden offering "free" tests if you fill out a bunch of impossible paperwork from your private insurance company that will take several hours you can potentially be reimbursed .... THANK YOU EPIC JOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I've been truly wondering what is the critical number in the USA where even the most stubborn anti-masker antivax people and republicans acknowledge the existence of the COVID-19. US is back to ~2k per day and closing in on the 900k dead in even the fairly conservative Worldometers statistics; I know that some other say that they have been 1M+ since last summer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Two goddamn years of me and my wife sacrificing and doing everything we could to make sure our kids didn't get this thing and today my 5 year old comes home from school with a 102 degree fever. We tested her and sure enough, she has covid.

Unfortunately she was only able to get one of the vaccines, on December 30th. So she wasn't due for the second until January 21st. All we had to do was make it like two more weeks :negative:

So, as a worried dad, a few questions if I may

1) does her having one of the vaccine shots bode well for her not suffering from longcovid? Or is it worthless without the second one having been administered yet?

2) is it possible she is testing positive because of the vaccine?

3) am I going to have to worry about her getting something like diabetes, vertigo, brain fog, lung scarring, tinnitus, or any of the other side effects people are getting from covid? Do I have to worry about poo poo like that springing up some day in the future?

1) No way of knowing for certain but her chances of full recovery are good.

2) Nope, they're testing for different things

3) I can't tell you there's zero chance of that but the chances are pretty low

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'm not really worried about her recovering, I'm sure she will. I'm worried about lifelong side effects like brain fog and tinnitus and poo poo like that. This is scaring the crap out of me.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I'm not really worried about her recovering, I'm sure she will. I'm worried about lifelong side effects like brain fog and tinnitus and poo poo like that. This is scaring the crap out of me.

There's no rhyme or reason to who gets it, it seems, nor is there much you can do to prevent it that you haven't already done. Just know the odds are greatly in her favor for a full uneventful recovery and the first shot can only have helped.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Oracle posted:

There's no rhyme or reason to who gets it, it seems, nor is there much you can do to prevent it that you haven't already done. Just know the odds are greatly in her favor for a full uneventful recovery and the first shot can only have helped.

Thank you :)

Are there any studies showing people getting longcovid side effects months or more after having had covid? Or is it basically like a thing where if you got tinnitus or diabetes from covid you got it right away while you were sick?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I haven't been to a bar or night club or eaten in a restaurant in 2 years so I have trouble feeling anything but immense sadness when goons come in here acting like they're being careful while describing explicitly careless activities.

Galewolf posted:

Well, no? Current government rules are "masks on" for the public transport and shops/markets/whatever (nightclubs and restaurants are considered exempt). I know in practice it's pretty lol but "you weren't wearing it in the pub, why you are wearing in the cab?" is like basically not considering cabbies or transport/service people as not humans. What part do you think I got owned?

Like this post reads to me as someone visiting a leprosy ward to wash all of the patients' wounds with their tongue and then being like "why aren't you wearing a mask on the drive home, don't you know the rules??"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

I haven't been to a bar or night club or eaten in a restaurant in 2 years so I have trouble feeling anything but immense sadness when goons come in here acting like they're being careful while describing explicitly careless activities.

Like this post reads to me as someone visiting a leprosy ward to wash all of the patients' wounds with their tongue and then being like "why aren't you wearing a mask on the drive home, don't you know the rules??"

Risk assessment and tolerance are pretty personal, and in nations where there are no lockdowns I can't really fault folks too much if they're fully vaccinated and want to just live life to the extent they are comfortable.

That said, you really gotta own it and not get grouchy about the people who are out there with you lol.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Are there any studies showing people getting longcovid side effects months or more after having had covid? Or is it basically like a thing where if you got tinnitus or diabetes from covid you got it right away while you were sick?
My parents and grandparents were diagnosed with serious issues afterward. They might have been diagnosable sooner, but it takes awhile to realize something's not right and not getting better, awhile to get to see the doctor, awhile to get the tests or scans, etc.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stickman posted:

I swear someone posted a study a while back that specifically compared source control and respiratory protection for n95s with good/poor fit and surgical masks. It even had a nice chart with reduction and color-coded pictures of the masks instead of boring points. I’m pretty sure the conclusion was that a poorly fitting n95 was on par or better than a surgical mask, but I can’t seem to find it again…

This one?

Paper: https://www.pnas.org/content/118/49/e2110117118

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah can she still get the second shot on the 21st if she got covid in between the two shots? Or does this gently caress all that up?

Anne Whateley posted:

My parents and grandparents were diagnosed with serious issues afterward. They might have been diagnosable sooner, but it takes awhile to realize something's not right and not getting better, awhile to get to see the doctor, awhile to get the tests or scans, etc.

Exactly what I am terrified of.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That's the one. I couldn't remember their methodology and unfortunately it looks like it's a modeling study based on filtration efficiency and dynamics rather than experimental (though they did some small measurements to estimate parameters like leakage). Considering the lack of direct experimental studies, though, it's probably the current best guess at relative effectiveness of loose fitting n95s vs surgical masks.

By their estimation, loose fitting n95s are significantly better than surgical masks unless everyone you are interacting with also has an n95 (loose or fitted), at which point they're just slightly better.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Oh yeah can she still get the second shot on the 21st if she got covid in between the two shots? Or does this gently caress all that up?
No, they'll hold off

quote:

I'm sorry to freak you out. As a kid, her odds are good

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

No, they'll hold off

I'm sorry to freak you out. As a kid, her odds are good

Thanks, I'm really not scared about her getting through it, I know she will. I'm just really scared of finding out she's gonna have lung scarring or vertigo when she's 30 from it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

I've been truly wondering what is the critical number in the USA where even the most stubborn anti-masker antivax people and republicans acknowledge the existence of the COVID-19. US is back to ~2k per day and closing in on the 900k dead in even the fairly conservative Worldometers statistics; I know that some other say that they have been 1M+ since last summer.

There is no such number, their narrative is that it's the vaccine killing people and when no one was vaccinated then the numbers were fake. The streets could be full of corpses and it wouldn't matter, they'd just say "can't believe Democrats are getting away with this"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 14, 2022

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Her catching COVID-19 is the heavy-duty version of the second shot, and she'll probably have to wait awhile before getting the second one. The good news is her getting sick trained her body to fight the infection for sure, the bad news is it may do damage along the way. Kids are very resilient though.

I have heard that subsequent doses and boosters are sometimes alleviating long-COVID symptoms, so on the off-chance she gets them, it's not Doomerville.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is a diagram of Zardoz heads watching two people about to kiss. The numbers are measurements of arousal

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Thanks, I'm really not scared about her getting through it, I know she will. I'm just really scared of finding out she's gonna have lung scarring or vertigo when she's 30 from it.

There are tons of thing she gets exposed all the time that have with potentially rare side effects. Some of them we don't even know about yet and won't until years or decades in the future. You can't live your life worrying about something which is uncommon and over which you have absolutely no control anyway. Worry about what is, not what might be.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

Risk assessment and tolerance are pretty personal, and in nations where there are no lockdowns I can't really fault folks too much if they're fully vaccinated and want to just live life to the extent they are comfortable.

It gets a lot less personal when you are assessing the risk you pose to other people and decide "eh, I'm OK rolling the dice on them."

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Long COVID seems to show up 4-8 weeks after recovery. No hard and fast rule here though.

Best course of action is to have her rest, and even when she's feeling better, keep her resting. Good luck on that with a little kid.

As for who gets Long COVID and if vaccination works to cut the odds, jury is still out. Some studies point to long term effects in 1/3 of those who get COVID, but a lot of those don't meaningfully break out long term symptoms (a persistent cough or depression vs chronic fatigue syndrome). Latest studies say vaccines may reduce your risk of long C by half, but it's hard to identify if that's because the vaccinated group is less likely to get sick in the first place, or what.

You've done what you can, overall your kiddos are in a much better place for dealing with COVID than any of us dying forum oldsters are going to be.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 14, 2022

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

It gets a lot less personal when you are assessing the risk you pose to other people and decide "eh, I'm OK rolling the dice on them."

"Risk assessment is personal" is a ridiculous statement when it comes to public health, and infectious diseases in particular. It's only "personal" in the sense that wherever we don't have effective policy you have to make your own choices. That doesn't really absolve us from criticism about the choices we make that continue to affect each other in obvious ways.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

thanks grabbed a few boxes

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Stickman posted:

"Risk assessment is personal" is a ridiculous statement when it comes to public health, and infectious diseases in particular. It's only "personal" in the sense that wherever we don't have effective policy you have to make your own choices. That doesn't really absolve us from criticism about the choices we make that continue to affect each other in obvious ways.

My decision to drive drunk is my PERSONAL choice, and my PERSONAL risk assessment. Gotta live your life, you know?

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Good news! Omicron can never kill you!

Because the government no longer reports your death! Lol. https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/covid-19-faqs-hospitals-hospital-laboratory-acute-care-facility-data-reporting.pdf

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

obvs people have been making up their own personal rules for what's okay or not with covid all along, but still the image of some guy coming on here harrumphing about how dumb and inconsiderate those Rogan listeners are after getting chauffeured home from a night of unmasked clubbing is just the most depressing thing I've read in a couple years of depressing things. I think I'm blackpilled now

like all anyone's ever gonna do about plagues and wildfires and general social collapse is buy a ribbon bumper sticker for their SUV and get extremely mad online about people who bought the wrong color ribbon, isn't it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 14, 2022

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Just ordered some masks from Grainger. Thanks for posting.

My dad is scheduled to be released Monday and I guess regardless of testing status unless something drastically changes. He is congested, coughing, sore throat, headache. Also lost his sense of taste Tuesday evening, which is another concern that he doesn’t have omicron.

It’s been 8 days since he tested positive and isn’t improving and getting more symptoms. So yeah.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the image of some guy coming on here harrumphing about how dumb and inconsiderate those Rogan listeners are after getting chauffeured home from a night of unmasked clubbing is just the most depressing thing I've read in a couple years of depressing things, I think I'm blackpilled now

like all anyone's ever gonna do about plagues and wildfires and general social collapse is buy a ribbon bumper sticker for their SUV and get extremely mad online about people who bought the wrong color ribbon, isn't it

It's gonna be ok dude, you're gonna be ok.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

brugroffil posted:

My decision to drive drunk is my PERSONAL choice, and my PERSONAL risk assessment. Gotta live your life, you know?

That’s actually very different, it’s not at all comparable 😡 because drunk driving isn’t contagious, so the most people you can directly affect are the ones in your car and the ones you hit. Being irresponsible about COVID is worse than drunk driving since you turn other people into vectors without them being aware of it for a while, who can go on to spread it further

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

But Doctor, It's my laughter that's contagious.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Objective Action posted:

Because the government no longer reports your death! Lol. https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/covid-19-faqs-hospitals-hospital-laboratory-acute-care-facility-data-reporting.pdf

lol

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Objective Action posted:

For what it's worth, this is just the HHS. The CDC also collects death data, but every CDC dataset I've seen is slow as hell. I also checked all the various places I check for data and none of them seem to use the HHS deaths at a glance.

Edit: I'd like to say I don't mean that it's smart or good that the HHS isn't collecting deaths, but that deaths will still be getting reported elsewhere.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 15, 2022

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Reminder: only in your respirator trust

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AEMINAL posted:

Reminder: only in your respirator trust

On that topic... I've been wearing a full-face P100 every time I step out the door for the past 2 years. Never got the roni from what I can tell, never lost my sense of smell or had any sickness outside of directly following a vaccine.

I got the 1st Pfizer, not too bad.

I got the 2nd Pfizer, knocked me out for a day and a half.

I got the Pfizer booster a month ago, beat the absolute poo poo out of me for three days.

Ever since the booster, I'm having heart palpitations and skipped beats, like a couple times an hour. I'm late thirties, fit, correct weight, no drugs/alcohol.

Went to the VA today, they fitted me for a heart monitor to check into it. I thought I needed to wear it for a couple says, the nurse tells me I actually have to wear it for 14 days!

"Don't sweat it, you're not the first young man in this room to need a heart monitor after the booster"

"I'm not?"

"You're not even the tenth"

So yeah, did I just do All The Right Things (tm) only to get owned anyway?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Zero VGS posted:

On that topic... I've been wearing a full-face P100 every time I step out the door for the past 2 years. Never got the roni from what I can tell, never lost my sense of smell or had any sickness outside of directly following a vaccine.

I got the 1st Pfizer, not too bad.

I got the 2nd Pfizer, knocked me out for a day and a half.

I got the Pfizer booster a month ago, beat the absolute poo poo out of me for three days.

Ever since the booster, I'm having heart palpitations and skipped beats, like a couple times an hour. I'm late thirties, fit, correct weight, no drugs/alcohol.

Went to the VA today, they fitted me for a heart monitor to check into it. I thought I needed to wear it for a couple says, the nurse tells me I actually have to wear it for 14 days!

"Don't sweat it, you're not the first young man in this room to need a heart monitor after the booster"

"I'm not?"

"You're not even the tenth"

My moderna booster laid me out for 6 days straight with fatigue. Day 5 seemed like I was clear by the end and then I had to call in to work on day 6 because I couldn't safely operate a motor vehicle I was so tired. Took about 2 weeks to get fully back to normal.

Haven't had any heart poo poo, though, but that's definitely A Thing on my watchlist since shot #1.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

how fast do the side effects of the booster come on?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MrQwerty posted:

My moderna booster laid me out for 6 days straight with fatigue. Day 5 seemed like I was clear by the end and then I had to call in to work on day 6 because I couldn't safely operate a motor vehicle I was so tired. Took about 2 weeks to get fully back to normal.

Haven't had any heart poo poo, though, but that's definitely A Thing on my watchlist since shot #1.

I guess Pfizer is off the hook for damages too... at least my substandard VA care is free, that's probably a better situation than like 99% of the country.

numberoneposter posted:

It was within a week for me, the skipped beat thing was kind of subtle since I've never had if before and it's only once or twice and hour, and I can only notice it when I'm stationary on the couch or in bed.

edit: the fever/chills was 8 hours later, I mean the weird heart stuff was within a week.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 15, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

styls trill epic posted:

Epic biden offering "free" tests if you fill out a bunch of impossible paperwork from your private insurance company that will take several hours you can potentially be reimbursed .... THANK YOU EPIC JOE

The form you must fill out to get Covid tests from the government:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

numberoneposter posted:

Mine were consistently T+4 for feeling it/my arm getting really sore and T+8-12 for the real poo poo to start, and my real poo poo was consistently chills, barely a fever, body aches to the point of skin aching, and extreme exhaustion

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

numberoneposter posted:

Mine was next day I think? Or like ~8 hours afterwards. But honestly it depends on the person and their own biological makeup, because I've seen people say that they had no side effects whatsoever and others who get knocked out for a couple of days. Me, I just feel like my midsection becomes an Italian pizza oven and I get very tired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here

Zero VGS posted:

Yes.

Sorry about the heart problems.