Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just learned that you can't use Google Assistant on your phone to turn on or off smart outlets if the phone is locked.

If I wanted to touch my phone to do that, I would just use the app to turn them on or off.

gently caress you Google.

I admit it's a bit annoying, but I guess it also makes a bit of sense.

Your phone may not be in your house (or in your possession), but it can control those outlets and other devices from anywhere it has an internet connection.

At least with smart speakers, it's much more certain that they're in the house, or at least somewhere you chose to put them, if they're on your account and have an internet connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are these endpoints then available to all other apps, or is that all just contained to My Files?

I can share to imgur or wherever from the My Files app

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

codo27 posted:

I can share to imgur or wherever from the My Files app

I think they mean, can you look to save a file from the internet and select to have to go into your nas rather than locally, without having to save locally then open the files application and move it manually.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pixel 6 update is live now.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have an Android phone and an iPad and there are things I like and dislike about each platform. Notifications on Android are a lot better. Smart home controls are more easily accessible in iOS. I like the built in email app on iOS a lot more than on Android. The automation you can do with "shortcuts" is extremely rad in iOS, and the fact that you can pipe it into the "share" function of the os means you can expand the functionality of apps (like you can add the ability to upload to imgur which is missing from the iOS version of Awful).
... and then you try to do something as simple as sharing a photo or a text or actually anything over Bluetooth and it just cannot be done because Apple. It's just a very obtuse walled garden at times.

People with Pixel knowledge, I still hate my OP7T but realized the 5A is about the same size and I'd really rather have a smaller phone. Enter the Pixel 5. One less year of guaranteed software updates though, does it really just end in October 2023 or what has been the track record on still receiving updates after the official last date? I'm guessing no dice but never hurts to ask.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Marinmo posted:

People with Pixel knowledge, I still hate my OP7T but realized the 5A is about the same size and I'd really rather have a smaller phone. Enter the Pixel 5. One less year of guaranteed software updates though, does it really just end in October 2023 or what has been the track record on still receiving updates after the official last date? I'm guessing no dice but never hurts to ask.

I have a Pixel 3, for which update support officially ended this past... October? Whenever Android 12 rolled out. The update to 12 was the last monthly update I've received. I did get a security update yesterday, which there was talk about it getting one more update to fix bugs from the new version, so maybe that's what that was.

Otherwise I'm not expecting any more official updates. I'm basically just waiting until the free original quality photo uploads ends next month, then figuring out if I want to move up to a 6.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just learned that you can't use Google Assistant on your phone to turn on or off smart outlets if the phone is locked.

If I wanted to touch my phone to do that, I would just use the app to turn them on or off.

I mostly get annoyed at this when I'm in a room with a Google home and it insists on doing it via phone. Why. The home clearly heard me, wtf

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Alarbus posted:

I mostly get annoyed at this when I'm in a room with a Google home and it insists on doing it via phone. Why. The home clearly heard me, wtf

That shouldn't be, Google home always takes over voice assistant for me (I have like 4). Maybe check that you've set it up correctly in the home app.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Got my Bellroy Pixel 6 case today. Feels nice in the hand and feels more slim than the official case. I like that there is no bottom lip so using swipe navigation on the bottom doesn't hit the case at all. Feels lighter weight too. The edge doesn't stick up as much so I'm a bit worried about putting it face down, and the buttons feel a bit stiffer/less clicky.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think they mean, can you look to save a file from the internet and select to have to go into your nas rather than locally, without having to save locally then open the files application and move it manually.
Yeah pretty much that.

I have currently an app called QuickScan on my iPhone to scan my poo poo, like bills and what not, into PDFs and store them to my NAS. The app allowed me to set a default location via the iOS save file dialog. Now I just scan, hit the save button (without further input) and presto, it's saved to my NAS.

I am probably going to get an S22, so it'd be nice whether such a thing is possible on Android.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

bull3964 posted:

Pixel 6 update is live now.

Did it, seems fine.

Though in my case it seemed fine with the November version before.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

That shouldn't be, Google home always takes over voice assistant for me (I have like 4). Maybe check that you've set it up correctly in the home app.

We've got one downstairs and one upstairs. At least half the time I set a timer in the kitchen (i.e. within 15 feet of the downstairs home) the upstairs one will get the timer instead, or sometimes even both. So when it goes off, I have to holler upstairs at that one to stop the timer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

We've got one downstairs and one upstairs. At least half the time I set a timer in the kitchen (i.e. within 15 feet of the downstairs home) the upstairs one will get the timer instead, or sometimes even both. So when it goes off, I have to holler upstairs at that one to stop the timer.

This happens to me all the time. It's super annoying

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

withoutclass posted:

Got my Bellroy Pixel 6 case today. Feels nice in the hand and feels more slim than the official case. I like that there is no bottom lip so using swipe navigation on the bottom doesn't hit the case at all. Feels lighter weight too. The edge doesn't stick up as much so I'm a bit worried about putting it face down, and the buttons feel a bit stiffer/less clicky.

Yeah the side buttons took me a little getting used to. They are much firmer than the jeans looking case I had for the 3A. I don't know if they got broken in or I'm just used to them but I don't notice them now.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

withoutclass posted:

Maybe mess with the display and font size options in the settings to see if you can get a combination that works better.

The majority of finance companies are extremely risk averse, understanding that if something happened to their users of rooted devices, even if it's not the companies fault, they would be blamed for it.
Fait enough. Thanks.

Uthor posted:

No, rooting will not change the hardware that you are running on.
Ah good old fashioned SA attitude. I was thinking maybe overclocking or some android version of third party drivers might be able to help and I don't find that to be overly stupid.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Nierbo posted:

Fait enough. Thanks.

Ah good old fashioned SA attitude. I was thinking maybe overclocking or some android version of third party drivers might be able to help and I don't find that to be overly stupid.

Honestly doesn't hurt to ask, but we are kind of past the point of any sort of amateur dev tinkering drastically changing the experience like that. I do miss the days of ROMs being fun to try out but unfortunately they are more trouble than they're worth, typically.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

hooah posted:

Dust in the microphone holes maybe? Mine are really good at telling which one is closest. My place is tiny and I have one in every room (the ones with screens).

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Dust in the microphone holes maybe? Mine are really good at telling which one is closest. My place is tiny and I have one in every room (the ones with screens).

Same. But I noticed one time a speaker lost connection to the rest and always responded independently from the rest. Removing and adding it again to the household fixed it. Only happened once though.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hi I'm having a weird networking issue and this is the only place I could figure to ask. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I have a Samsung A71 and am getting a "No Signal" on it. I am not receiving calls or texts. Now this has happened every once in awhile, but a quick reboot will fix it. However, that has not worked. Neither has reconnecting to my network (t-mobile). However, I still have access to LTE and my WIFI. This is all fairly normal. Here's the weird part:

If I make a call - say to my voicemail - then I suddenly connect to the network and receive all my texts and I can send them, too. As soon as I hang up it goes back to No Signal. I've reconnected to my network multiple times. Rebooted multiple times. The "No Signal" icon won't go away. Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty good at tech stuff, but phones are a weak point.

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 15, 2022

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Heads up - installed the update, and noticed my 6 Pro immediately connected to 5G after restarting.

Except I had switched to only LTE preferred for improved battery life. Sure enough, it had switched back to 5G on when I went into the settings.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Hi I'm having a weird networking issue and this is the only place I could figure to ask. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I have a Samsung A71 and am getting a "No Signal" on it. I am not receiving calls or texts. Now this has happened every once in awhile, but a quick reboot will fix it. However, that has not worked. Neither has reconnecting to my network (t-mobile). However, I still have access to LTE and my WIFI. This is all fairly normal. Here's the weird part:

If I make a call - say to my voicemail - then I suddenly connect to the network and receive all my texts and I can send them, too. As soon as I hang up it goes back to No Signal. I've reconnected to my network multiple times. Rebooted multiple times. The "No Signal" icon won't go away. Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty good at tech stuff, but phones are a weak point.

Is it the regular A71 or the A71 5G?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is it the regular A71 or the A71 5G?

Regular. I've had it since March 2020.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

sirbeefalot posted:

I have a Pixel 3, for which update support officially ended this past... October? Whenever Android 12 rolled out. The update to 12 was the last monthly update I've received. I did get a security update yesterday, which there was talk about it getting one more update to fix bugs from the new version, so maybe that's what that was.

Otherwise I'm not expecting any more official updates. I'm basically just waiting until the free original quality photo uploads ends next month, then figuring out if I want to move up to a 6.

They were forced to update the Pixel 3 again because there was a bug that broke 911.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thinking about returning my pixel 6 and ordering a pixel 5

Pixel 5:

6 inch screen
Longer battery life
Literally 2 oz lighter
Rear fingerprint sensor

Pixel 6:
Too big
Too heavy
lovely fingerprint scanner
Worse battery life
Power button only works if you really smash it in

Edit fuuuuuck there's no new old stock pixel 5

Someone recommend me a pixel 5 equivalent. Why do phones suck now

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 16, 2022

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is Nova launcher still the go-to close to stock launcher? I basically just want the stock pixel launcher, but with a 6x7 app grid on a Pixel 4a 5g. I had been using Lawnchair, which has been great, but the main release is going on 4 years old now (they have an alpha channel with updates, but this is my main phone, so no thanks), and some bugs have popped up that make it very annoying to use (the big one being the google search bar has become a voice search).

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 16, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I still use Nova and it's great and receives regular updates.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Hadlock posted:

Thinking about returning my pixel 6 and ordering a pixel 5

Pixel 5:

6 inch screen
Longer battery life
Literally 2 oz lighter
Rear fingerprint sensor

Pixel 6:
Too big
Too heavy
lovely fingerprint scanner
Worse battery life
Power button only works if you really smash it in

Edit fuuuuuck there's no new old stock pixel 5

Someone recommend me a pixel 5 equivalent. Why do phones suck now

Why not the Pixel 5a?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Uthor posted:

I still use Nova and it's great and receives regular updates.

Yeah, Nova's still really good.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lowen SoDium posted:

me, on the other hand, love the fact you can't gently caress things up while locked.

turning off assistant while locked, in general,is a good thing for legal things too

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

Why not the Pixel 5a?

Pixel 5 has a 6" screen, 5a is 6.33"

Also you can't rapid fire take photos with the 5a

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Cartridgeblowers posted:

New developments:

A buddy and I switched SIM cards and he was able to text/receive calls on his phone with my SIM and I was able to text/receive calls on my phone with his SIM.

Soooo... I'm stumped lol

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EVIL Gibson posted:

me, on the other hand, love the fact you can't gently caress things up while locked.

turning off assistant while locked, in general,is a good thing for legal things too

This is fine if it is what you want. Of course, if that is the case, you could turn off always listening.

It's just really frustrating that I can tell Google to play a song on a speaker, but I can't tell it to turn on a lamp. It's things like this that keep me from using it much.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cartridgeblowers posted:

New developments:

A buddy and I switched SIM cards and he was able to text/receive calls on his phone with my SIM and I was able to text/receive calls on my phone with his SIM.

Soooo... I'm stumped lol

Are you on an MVNO that needs special APN settings configured?

I kind of had the opposite issue. Mint Mobile says you need to use a specific APN, but it never worked for me. If I let my phone use the default T-Mobile APN, it works fine.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lowen SoDium posted:

Are you on an MVNO that needs special APN settings configured?

I kind of had the opposite issue. Mint Mobile says you need to use a specific APN, but it never worked for me. If I let my phone use the default T-Mobile APN, it works fine.

I have... no idea what this means lol. I use T-Mobile as my provider and this issue just kinda randomly appeared last Friday.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I have... no idea what this means lol. I use T-Mobile as my provider and this issue just kinda randomly appeared last Friday.

If you are on actual T-Mobile and not a reseller like ting or mint, nothing I said should apply.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Do you have Wi-Fi Calling enabled in the phone settings? What happens if you toggle it?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Have you tried resetting your network settings? That's helped me before.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Or, you could try a carrier reset through phone code ##72786# (entered on the dialer app).

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

isndl posted:

Do you have Wi-Fi Calling enabled in the phone settings? What happens if you toggle it?

I did, but toggling it changed nothing.

Nalin posted:

Have you tried resetting your network settings? That's helped me before.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Or, you could try a carrier reset through phone code ##72786# (entered on the dialer app).

Can't seem to find Reset Network Settings. Trying the carrier reset got me the message "Connection problem or Invalid MMI code"

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
If you are on 12 look under the network internet settings for SIMS, then Access Point Names and then the three dots to reset names. I find I have to do that about once a year on t-mobile for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cartridgeblowers posted:

There are only 3 carriers in the US: AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. All the other cellphone companies are mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs), meaning they have their own customers and policies, but have to use one or more of the major carriers to actually provide service.