Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Sashimi posted:

Doug Ford like the US feds has done a fantastic job at pissing off every voting bloc in the province, but given how weak the field is there's plenty of reason to be concerned he'll just waltz back into power after the election.
The Ontario Libs are no poo poo running on a 4-day Work Week pilot which will never go any further.

Even with that caveat I'd be tempted to vote for that over whatever exciting adjustment to car insurance premiums Horwath is cooking up. At least the Liberals seem aware of what policies the left wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DynamicSloth posted:

The Ontario Libs are no poo poo running on a 4-day Work Week pilot which will never go any further.

Even with that caveat I'd be tempted to vote for that over whatever exciting adjustment to car insurance premiums Horwath is cooking up. At least the Liberals seem aware of what policies the left wants.

On the contrary, deftly avoiding every single left policy requires that the ONDP know exactly what they are.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DynamicSloth posted:

4 day workweek is the most liberal thing ever, it only really works for knowledge workers and government adult babysitter jobs who're top 5% already right? Any real/computer janitors get nothing out of it. I love it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's also the bad kind of four-day work week trial (4x10 hour days), not the type Microsoft tried in Japan that increased both worker productivity and happiness (4x8 hour days but paid for five).

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Also half of the economy is now hourly/gig workers for whom this will do nothing at all.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Yes it's a Liberal pilot of a Liberal plan no Liberal would dream of implementing province wide, it's the policy equivalent of vaporware, I don't care it's still a drat sight better then whatever the ONDP is going to campaign on and it pushes the idea out the Overton side jamb.

Pointing out the inequities in our current system with zero solutions is not the vote getter you might be assuming it to be.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol remember when the ontario liberals made a basic income pilot that was cancelled by doug ford immediately and to which we'll never really know the results, effectively killing that idea forever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RBC posted:

lol remember when the ontario liberals made a basic income pilot that was cancelled by doug ford immediately and to which we'll never really know the results, effectively killing that idea forever

Remember the guy interviewed by the CBC crying about having lost his GMI pilot income, who voted Conservative?

Man, that was something.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone explain to me how any data based on case numbers has any meaning in BC when the testing capacity was reached and/or they were telling people to not even get tested in many cases?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-update-jan14-1.6315010

If we stop testing as much then the numbers of cases trends downward :downsgun:

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

There are other indicators, like poop sleuthing, other states/territories that had similar populations, and the fact that they just let 'er rip making the theoretical peak more likely to be reached faster

But yeah, more of the same poo poo.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Xaranthius posted:

Can anyone explain to me how any data based on case numbers has any meaning in BC when the testing capacity was reached and/or they were telling people to not even get tested in many cases?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-update-jan14-1.6315010

If we stop testing as much then the numbers of cases trends downward :downsgun:

"Cases have peaked, even though schools just opened up and kids can definitely get Omicron and they will definitely drive another wave about two weeks to the day schools opened. But cases have definitely peaked!"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

4 day workweek is the most liberal thing ever, it only really works for knowledge workers and government adult babysitter jobs who're top 5% already right? Any real/computer janitors get nothing out of it. I love it.

How do real computer people not get something out of 4x8? Feel like there's plenty of times where I just faff about at the end of the day not looking to start something new.

If it wasn't a worthless 4x10 trial, i'd say this is some real "we can't raise min wage cause it does nothing for people slightly over min wage" take.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/DrKarenPinder/status/1481841336651112453

Maybe mask policies will finally drift toward mandatory and widespread N95+ usage just in time for the end of this omicron wave and the start of ???

Also I vaguely remember reading that double masking on top of an N95 is at best useless and at worst counterproductive, but hey, this policy might be better than forcing people to take them off (?).

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I had 4 students out at the beginning of the week, then 5 and now 4 again, I think we’re past the peak here!

Oh also a couple of those kids were in class with Covid for full days but that shouldn’t be an issue :).

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Oxyclean posted:

How do real computer people not get something out of 4x8? Feel like there's plenty of times where I just faff about at the end of the day not looking to start something new.

If it wasn't a worthless 4x10 trial, i'd say this is some real "we can't raise min wage cause it does nothing for people slightly over min wage" take.

I meant real janitors and computer janitors, like you're not doing 4x8 if you're data cleaning excel sheets or doing IT helpdesk stuff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I meant real janitors and computer janitors, like you're not doing 4x8 if you're data cleaning excel sheets or doing IT helpdesk stuff.

Maybe they should be?

If a company needs coverage beyond 32 hours, hire more people.

e: 4 day work week doesn't have to be literally 4x8, with 3 days off in a row. We set that standard as a full work week where it makes sense, and make other things follow suit, like how stuff is structured around the 40 hour work week?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Franks Happy Place posted:

"Cases have peaked, even though schools just opened up and kids can definitely get Omicron and they will definitely drive another wave about two weeks to the day schools opened. But cases have definitely peaked!"

Oh, you think it'll take that long, eh?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Lol we're starting with this cope now

https://twitter.com/CMOH_Alberta/status/1482145770287493122?t=29gsU8hKF8spGulf6YJKQA&s=19

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Mr. Mercury posted:

There are other indicators, like poop sleuthing

I just looked at the poop sleuth report Dr. Bonnie is pinning this all on and saw a footnote that, unlike other jurisdictions (eg Ottawa), the Metro Vancouver numbers are not normalized based on water flow conditions, and specifically notes that "heavy rain or snow melt conditions would have a significant effect" (paraphrasing) on the data.

So: fuckin lmao

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Oxyclean posted:

Maybe they should be?

If a company needs coverage beyond 32 hours, hire more people.

e: 4 day work week doesn't have to be literally 4x8, with 3 days off in a row. We set that standard as a full work week where it makes sense, and make other things follow suit, like how stuff is structured around the 40 hour work week?

I actually fully support this, I've been taking Fridays off since last summer. I usually work a bit but it's because I want to and nobody can schedule me for meetings. It was rad this summer. Drop the kids off at school, go fishing for the morning, do bjj in the afternoon, pick up kids. Wife gets a quiet day, I'm good and just a real nice start to the weekend. It'd be really great if everyone could do that. Except teachers cause I need them to watch the kids.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
everything is just wishful thinking at this point, and has been since like december

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I actually fully support this, I've been taking Fridays off since last summer. I usually work a bit but it's because I want to and nobody can schedule me for meetings. It was rad this summer. Drop the kids off at school, go fishing for the morning, do bjj in the afternoon, pick up kids. Wife gets a quiet day, I'm good and just a real nice start to the weekend. It'd be really great if everyone could do that. Except teachers cause I need them to watch the kids.
Honestly that last bit is probably one of the biggest reasons why I think any 4x10 trials are likely to fail outside of a WFH environment. 10 hour office shifts seems like a mess for parents who pick up or drop off kids, or can't leave kids unattended too long.

I kinda despise people willing to settle for 4x10. It's cool if it works for them, but I think I'd want to die if I had 10 hour shifts with 1 hour commutes.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Franks Happy Place posted:

I just looked at the poop sleuth report Dr. Bonnie is pinning this all on and saw a footnote that, unlike other jurisdictions (eg Ottawa), the Metro Vancouver numbers are not normalized based on water flow conditions, and specifically notes that "heavy rain or snow melt conditions would have a significant effect" (paraphrasing) on the data.

So: fuckin lmao

Oh, they might be doing what Boston's doing and normalizing it based on the presence of other viruses in turds that don't really harm us but are relatively consistent in level

So yeah, they're not calculating snow melt, but they're accounting for dilution in another way

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
BC just announced you can change the Sex on your provincial ID without confirmation by a physician or psychologist which makes me wonder why they don't just remove that line from your ID in the first place.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Eej posted:

BC just announced you can change the Sex on your provincial ID without confirmation by a physician or psychologist which makes me wonder why they don't just remove that line from your ID in the first place.

I'd like to change mine to 'Yes, please'

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

My most controversial belief is that the 4 day work week should mean Wednesdays are no longer a workday. Then Wednesday is for boring poo poo like laundry and cleaning and the weekend can just be relaxing, and you don't have to work 3 days in a row.

Also why do ID cards need to have sex/gender anyway? There's a picture on it already, that's gotta be better than anything else to actually ID a person.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I need a dna analysis just to be sure.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Take a look at the amazing job on COVID the Ontario PCs are doing as evidenced by this MPP’s tweet.

Cannot stop laughing at this graph.

https://twitter.com/davesmithptbo/status/1482012730521440258?s=21

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's absolutely great that we're doing better than loving Florida :wtc:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well I've got the 'rona.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Count Roland posted:

Well I've got the 'rona.

Count Rona'd

Hope it's mild, and you recover quickly

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

Count Rona'd

Hope it's mild, and you recover quickly

Yeah it's fine, a mild cold. My roomie got it first and he was hit harder, with fevers and aches and the like. I'm just bored at home.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Count Roland posted:

Yeah it's fine, a mild cold. My roomie got it first and he was hit harder, with fevers and aches and the like. I'm just bored at home.

Ditto, gf and I both have mild symptoms, sore throat and cough so far

My boss is dropping off a laptop today so I can continue to be "productive"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Cough on them.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Kid 1 and Wife have the rona. Eight days of positive rapid tests. Kid 2 and I, more vulnerable because of the comorbidities of "being a baby" for her and "loving everything" for me, are isolating in a different part of the house.

If there is a Hell it's isolating a 3.5 year-old in a master bedroom for a week. In a way it would be better if we all got it and my wife weren't so determined to keep this half of the family from getting it. At least we could languish together in the full space. That's how bad it has been, I'm fantasizing about the convenience of just having COVID.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

StoicRomance posted:

Kid 1 and Wife have the rona. Eight days of positive rapid tests. Kid 2 and I, more vulnerable because of the comorbidities of "being a baby" for her and "loving everything" for me, are isolating in a different part of the house.

If there is a Hell it's isolating a 3.5 year-old in a master bedroom for a week. In a way it would be better if we all got it and my wife weren't so determined to keep this half of the family from getting it. At least we could languish together in the full space. That's how bad it has been, I'm fantasizing about the convenience of just having COVID.

You can continue to test positive long after you are recovered and are not transmissible anymore so if you are waiting on negative tests you will be waiting until the spring

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
When does it start getting warm again. -20 is rude.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

Noblesse Obliged posted:

You can continue to test positive long after you are recovered and are not transmissible anymore so if you are waiting on negative tests you will be waiting until the spring

Why does everybody keep saying this? It's not true. False positives on a rapid test once infected are rare, and you only test negative once your viral load falls significantly. If anything they're not sensitive enough (for certain purposes).

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19/some-things-know-about-covid-rapid-tests

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00332-4

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 15, 2022

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

Why does everybody keep saying this? It's not true. False positives on a rapid test once infected are rare, and you only test negative once your viral load falls significantly. If anything they're not sensitive enough (for certain purposes).

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19/some-things-know-about-covid-rapid-tests

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/duration-isolation.html

“Recovered patients: Patients who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to have detectable SARS-CoV-2 RNA in upper respiratory specimens for up to 3 months after illness onset. However, replication-competent virus has not been reliably recovered from such patients, and they are not likely infectious.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Wow my appointment for a 3rd dose is not until like mid-February, what the heck. My first and second dose were like within days or making it originally. :(

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

This is an upside down uncanny valley.