Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Has Beck spent any time on any studio sets? Even FNC requires you be fully vaxxed and boosted to get in the door, that's the easiest way to be sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sephyr posted:

These maniacs think too highly of themselves to risk dying like a pleb, and half of them are taking Pharma money in some form, so it's all theater for the rubes.

Yes but many of them also eat their own dogfood. Some (like Hannity) are not willing to risk it. But Glenn? He's a true believer sort.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Epic High Five posted:

Has Beck spent any time on any studio sets? Even FNC requires you be fully vaxxed and boosted to get in the door, that's the easiest way to be sure
I don’t think so

Pretty sure it’s always by video

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know, Glenn has gotten worse the last few years, he was kinda starting to regain sanity a few years ago.

Glenn never regained sanity. If you're talking about his staunch opposition to Trump during the 2016 election and how he said Trump was a fascist and extremely dangerous, it was all an act. Unlike every other right wing media host, Beck was confident the polls were right and that Hillary would win. Once she did, he could hold himself up as the smartest man in the right wing media sphere, and say "Well now that I've proven everyone else is wrong, here's the kind of candidate we need to support" and push for the same dogwhistle stuff that the GOP had been doing for years before.

This can be proven because I still remember the moment Glenn Beck put on a MAGA hat and said he was all in on Trump. It's when Trump made his comment that people coming from Mexico "aren't people, they're animals." Glenn Beck was so mad that the media was treating this like some sort of horrible thing, because obviously Trump was right, and they're just being so mean and unfair to him, so obviously he had to be a Trump supporter now because Trump was actually good all along.

e: He also never stopped with the Soros stuff (he was saying Soros was behind THE CARAVANS during Trump's presidency to try and make Trump look bad) and he never stopped with the chalkboard stuff either. It's just he wasn't on Fox News anymore so you didn't see the chalkboard stuff still going on, he was doing it constantly on Blaze TV. He'd even make jokes on his radio show about "Yep I'm pulling out the chalkboard again tonight, you don't want to miss it."

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 13, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

Glenn never regained sanity. If you're talking about his staunch opposition to Trump during the 2016 election and how he said Trump was a fascist and extremely dangerous, it was all an act. Unlike every other right wing media host, Beck was confident the polls were right and that Hillary would win. Once she did, he could hold himself up as the smartest man in the right wing media sphere, and say "Well now that I've proven everyone else is wrong, here's the kind of candidate we need to support" and push for the same dogwhistle stuff that the GOP had been doing for years before.

This can be proven because I still remember the moment Glenn Beck put on a MAGA hat and said he was all in on Trump. It's when Trump made his comment that people coming from Mexico "aren't people, they're animals." Glenn Beck was so mad that the media was treating this like some sort of horrible thing, because obviously Trump was right, and they're just being so mean and unfair to him, so obviously he had to be a Trump supporter now because Trump was actually good all along.

e: He also never stopped with the Soros stuff (he was saying Soros was behind THE CARAVANS during Trump's presidency to try and make Trump look bad) and he never stopped with the chalkboard stuff either. It's just he wasn't on Fox News anymore so you didn't see the chalkboard stuff still going on, he was doing it constantly on Blaze TV. He'd even make jokes on his radio show about "Yep I'm pulling out the chalkboard again tonight, you don't want to miss it."

Lemme clarify: By "regained sanity" I meant he became a little bit more sane than he was. Not that he suddenly had an epiphany

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Even before COVID, Beck seemed incredibly reluctant to leave his bunker basement studio in Texas for years because of his general every day paranoia. The thing with Beck is that he makes it legitimately hard to tell which part of his act is his predator cunning at work, and which is his legitimate mental illness. He's like Hamlet or the Joker from the Dark Knight; there is a sharp mind at play, but it's clearly broken and hosed up and makes him do awful things with that intellect.

For example, a big part of his end-stage career at FOX when he was transitioning to the stage show part of his grift was how he would repeatedly tell people that he thought he was going to be assassinated. It was a part of his con to draw people in and get their money by playing on their fears and sympathies... AND he legitimately believed on some level that George Soros was going to have him killed so it didn't take much effort to kneed it into his usual act.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Glenn Beck is an adult convert to Mormonism, he is not a smart man and I would not be surprised if he never got the vax

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

For example, a big part of his end-stage career at FOX when he was transitioning to the stage show part of his grift was how he would repeatedly tell people that he thought he was going to be assassinated.

Oh god you reminded me of when Scott Adams was like "I'm endorsing Hillary Clinton this election, even though I think Trump is better, because I'm scared that if I don't endorse her I'll be put into a camp or killed by liberals."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh god you reminded me of when Scott Adams was like "I'm endorsing Hillary Clinton this election, even though I think Trump is better, because I'm scared that if I don't endorse her I'll be put into a camp or killed by liberals."
That's only slightly less unhinged than Chris Matthews saying on air that he was afraid Bernie and his supporters were going to guillotine him in Central Park

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nine-gear crow posted:

AND he legitimately believed on some level that George Soros was going to have him killed so it didn't take much effort to kneed it into his usual act.

So Soros has not only stiffed me on my Soros Bux but failed me on this level as well

For someone up to as much as poo poo as he's supposed to be, he's really left me, his loyal servant, twisting in the loving wind here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

So Soros has not only stiffed me on my Soros Bux but failed me on this level as well

For someone up to as much as poo poo as he's supposed to be, he's really left me, his loyal servant, twisting in the loving wind here.

I mean, I just said Soros because Beck had a CD changer's worth of names of people who thought were gonna do him in. I'm pretty sure he thought the ghost of Woodrow Wilson was trying to murder him once too. I dunno.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 14, 2022

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's only slightly less unhinged than Chris Matthews saying on air that he was afraid Bernie and his supporters were going to guillotine him in Central Park

No when your weird persecution fantasies make it into a pre written blog post you willingly publish that’s several steps more unhinged than when you express them while rambling to fill tv time and being old.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Trazz posted:

Glenn Beck is an adult convert to Mormonism, he is not a smart man and I would not be surprised if he never got the vax

iirc he converted to marry his hot wife. also he attacked Romoney with anti mormon stuff during 2012, so he's a mormon and his wife and her family/money/ social netowrk are mormon.

guys an interesting cocktail of being a massive fuckface.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

iirc he converted to marry his hot wife. also he attacked Romoney with anti mormon stuff during 2012, so he's a mormon and his wife and her family/money/ social netowrk are mormon.

guys an interesting cocktail of being a massive fuckface.

The best/worst story I’ve ever heard about what a shithead Glenn Beck is, aside from calling up a rival’s wife in the hospital on air and mocking her for her recent traumatic miscarriage, was how he bought a DMC DeLorean because he wanted to be a flashy hipster doof and then IMMEDIATELY rolled it over a concrete highway median because he was blasted out of his brain on booze and cocaine.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

On brand for a DeLorean!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

People made fun of him for that take the other week and he tried to defend it by saying it was metaphorical as in hounded by "cancel culture" but that just made it funnier since he clearly meant it literally.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

People like Glen Beck are on a whole other level of the RWM grift machine.

He's closer to something like the cheesy televangilists hawking miracle spring water or Alex Jones than someone like Chris Wallace, FOX anchors or even Hannity who simply know how their bread gets buttered and who will toe the company line for paychecks.

I never understood why he's worth paying attention to though, even for right wingers, since he's such a clownish buffoon. Oh wait.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I still find it ironic that the guy who became famous for making fun of dumb bosses who try to act like they know what they're doing when they know absolutely nothing, likes Trump.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The dumb bosses that he made fun of were telling people what to do, not validating their bigotry, bullhorning their hatred and attacking the "other".

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Clarste posted:

I still find it ironic that the guy who became famous for making fun of dumb bosses who try to act like they know what they're doing when they know absolutely nothing, likes Trump.
The Dilbert strip has slowly transformed from the employees making fun of their moron boss and dumb corporate culture into one where its mostly the put-upon boss having to deal with his idiot employees, more or less in sync with Adams moving from cubicle drone to member of the ownership class.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Clarste posted:

Scott Adams is a very dumb guy. He claimed Dilbert became successful because he'd written down his affirmations in the morning.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
remember when he invented the Dilbert burrito.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

People like Glen Beck are on a whole other level of the RWM grift machine.

He's closer to something like the cheesy televangilists hawking miracle spring water or Alex Jones than someone like Chris Wallace, FOX anchors or even Hannity who simply know how their bread gets buttered and who will toe the company line for paychecks.

I never understood why he's worth paying attention to though, even for right wingers, since he's such a clownish buffoon. Oh wait.
At one point Beck’s site was hemorrhaging money and I don’t know if that ever changed

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Adams is one of those brave freethinker guys who sees past the media's lies but still somehow is always clued into the current news cycle more than anyone you know and always comes to the same conclusions as the elite consensus ("China bad, nothing should be done about Covid, Antifa and BLM are serious threats to the American public").

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Decoding the Gurus did an episode on Adams focusing on his election fraud bullshit and I'd never heard him talk and he has this supremely annoying habit of chuckling after every sentence.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

FlamingLiberal posted:

At one point Beck’s site was hemorrhaging money and I don’t know if that ever changed

None of these places are ever genuinely profitable. It's just a question of whether or not you can find an oil billionaire who thinks your propaganda is better than the other guys'

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Back when he still wrote text blog posts, before he moved to his lovely video site, Adams' blog was a trip during the election and the first year or so of Trump's presidency. Such as his blog post when he said that v-neck sweaters were proof that Trump would win big (this is not an exaggeration, he literally said this).

That blog post also contains one of my favorite bits from Adams:

Dilbertman posted:

I’m sure women do have it worse than men in this country in lots of ways. But it isn’t a competition. My point is that the psychological state of American men in 2016 is one of persistent humiliation for simply being male. That sense of humiliation might be more imagined than real – which is not an important distinction – because either way it affects how people act.

"Maybe women do have it worse than men, but it isn't a competition, anyway the reason men have it so bad is that even if they aren't being humiliated just for being men, they feel like they are, which is just as bad as if it was actually happening."

Also his insane plan for peace between North and South Korea which was basically just "Write a peace treaty that says that they will refrain from attacking each other and in 100 years they'll reunite, don't put any details no how the reunification will happen, just let them work it out for themselves since everyone alive right now will be dead and it won't matter."

He also weirdly seems to underestimate the racism and hatred the right wing has for immigrants because early on he tried to say that "Well when Trump says he'll build The Wall and Mexico would pay for it, what if people who entered the country illegally were forced to pay a big fine in order to stay in the US? The fine could then be used to build The Wall, so people would be paying for their crimes and in a sense Mexico would be paying for the wall." The idea that Trump supporters want all (non-white) immigrants deported never crossed his mind. This was before the election too, so it was before the "Mexico isn't sending us their best" and "they're not people, they're animals" statements that Trump made.

He also still enjoys gaslighting about Trump calling Nazis "fine people."

Groovelord Neato posted:

Decoding the Gurus did an episode on Adams focusing on his election fraud bullshit and I'd never heard him talk and he has this supremely annoying habit of chuckling after every sentence.

I'll have to listen to that because I'm curious if Adams just is all in on the rigged voting machines and fake ballots shipped in from China stuff, or if he just buys into the more "reasonable" voting fraud conspiracies like "the Dems collected unused ballots and filled them out for Biden."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'll have to listen to that because I'm curious if Adams just is all in on the rigged voting machines and fake ballots shipped in from China stuff, or if he just buys into the more "reasonable" voting fraud conspiracies like "the Dems collected unused ballots and filled them out for Biden."

It seems like he's more "Democrats stuffed the ballot boxes/altered the totals". If I remember right he tries to frame it as just asking questions or arguing well we don't know exactly what happened here so anything could've happened it's good to be doubtful. Like "The Democrats had every reason to cheat since Trump was so bad so it's logical to assume they did".

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Twelve by Pies posted:

This was before the election too, so it was before the "Mexico isn't sending us their best" and "they're not people, they're animals" statements that Trump made.

“Mexico isn’t sending us their best” was from the golden escalator candidacy announcement from 2015.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

If we rigged the election, how did we forget not to lose the the house and senate races?

I think we hosed up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kinda sucks it's meaningless since he's the biggest right-wing radio guy now.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1482126392129114115?s=20

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Kinda sucks it's meaningless since he's the biggest right-wing radio guy now.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1482126392129114115?s=20

It's pretty meaningless also in the context of the fact that right wing shitbags get demonitized/suspended and then are usually back in about a week because someone at YouTube likes them (like Crowder)

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I just walked by moms muted tv and the Fox News chyron was something about an Illinois school hosting an after school satan club and I just find out more about this fever dream. Anyone know?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Comrayn posted:

I just walked by moms muted tv and the Fox News chyron was something about an Illinois school hosting an after school satan club and I just find out more about this fever dream. Anyone know?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_School_Satan

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 15, 2022

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Comrayn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dAKyO9J2dA

Serious answer:

The Satanic Temple is once again trolling local extensions of Christian hegemony. Fox News really should know better by now not to take the bait but here we are.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Evan_Rosenfeld/status/1482142802108510209?s=20

I don't even know what kind of numbers OANN puts up, it just always looks so cheaply put together.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dAKyO9J2dA

Serious answer:

The Satanic Temple is once again trolling local extensions of Christian hegemony. Fox News really should know better by now not to take the bait but here we are.

Weak. Thanks for the answer.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/Evan_Rosenfeld/status/1482142802108510209?s=20

I don't even know what kind of numbers OANN puts up, it just always looks so cheaply put together.

Its designed to please one person.

They should do Fox next though if they are going that route.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

OgNar posted:

Its designed to please one person.

They should do Fox next though if they are going that route.

A few months ago it was revealed that Directv provides 90% of their budget, Fox News would probably survive a similar event but OAN will probably have to switch to the podcast game if they even want to exist as a corporate entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

How is Newsmax, the home for washed up Fox News stars, doing?