Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kid sinister posted:

Guess I'll bleed out and die then.

Pretty sure that's literally an OSHA violation. WTF?

edit: loving hell, new page. Edited for context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Darchangel posted:

I'll guarantee some idiot manager was annoyed at having to constantly refill consumables like bandaids.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll guarantee some idiot manager was annoyed at having to constantly refill consumables like bandaids.

One of my favorite parts of being on the safety committee when I worked in grocery was being able to light said managers up for this.

That, and it also gave me the excuse to wander around inspecting fasteners and pallet stacks instead of doing my actual job.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Warmachine posted:

One of my favorite parts of being on the safety committee when I worked in grocery was being able to light said managers up for this.

That, and it also gave me the excuse to wander around inspecting fasteners and pallet stacks instead of doing my actual job.

Not to derail, but you're right. Bypassing safety rules in the workplace is dumb, because every safety rule that exists does so because someone was heinously injured, or killed, because of the issue previously.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Warmachine posted:

This is absolutely why I never had a problem being a safety focal at my last unionized job.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

Ah yes, the abstinence-only approach to workplace safety

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Darchangel posted:

Actually, lacerations can happen off the job as well, so by Supreme Court precedent, it’s not.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

"I don’t understand. My measurements were right… How did it get so crooked?!"

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I didn't even know you could get particle board treads.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Just pretend you're putting one 4x4 gauze from 1997 on your wound and some dried out medical tape because that's all the box will contain anyway.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Phanatic posted:

Development Fails is a solid instagram follow:

https://www.instagram.com/development_fails/

Today I learned about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Arch_Mound

It cost London 6 million pounds to build a lovely hill covered by some grass and plants that don't grow well.

They originally wanted it to be, you know, covered with soil, but instead it's just scaffolding and turf. They were charging people 10 pounds to walk up it and look around. That didn't go over so well. Next they're going to be spending more money to remove it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Every place I've worked there's always one complete shithead who takes the bandage scissors and uses them to cut his fingernails. Sometimes toenails.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Cyrano4747 posted:

My current job, until like 2019, was notoriously awful about keeping the first-aid kit stocked. If I had a buck for every time my shop tech had to jerry-rig a bandaid out of masking tape and paper towels, I'd be rich.

kid sinister posted:

I didn't even know you could get particle board treads.

Risers I can understand. I'm a fatty and would snap those in a second :stonklol:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
When I did my stairs (42" wide) a few months ago the risers (supporting) were 3/4" ply and the treads were two layers of 3/4" ply (1.5"). Everything was PL'ed together (recessed into the stringers, laminated treads, and between treads and risers. With 2" screws closing any gaps and 4" screws holding it all together. I figure the treads are going to be covered with 5/8" ash and the risers painted 1/2 G1S ply).

No sags, no squeaks.

Your average online stair calculator + Sketchup + angle finder should ensure everything works out to the mm and correct angle.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

Wow, that was a sudden memory.

I'm pretty sure my mom and I watched mostly because Hildie was a goddamn monster. Do you think that's on youtube? I should check when I get home.

I still vividly remember the episode where Hildi not only covered the walls with brown cardboard, she made sure to fasten it down with Liquid Nails so any attempt at removing it would trash the walls.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Never forget the episodes where Hildie:

* bolted the furniture to the ceiling "in order to create more open space on the floor"

* filled the entire basement with sand to "make a tropical paradise"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Platystemon posted:

Actually, lacerations can happen off the job as well, so by Supreme Court precedent, it’s not.

It took me a minute, but I see what you did there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

* bolted the furniture to the ceiling "in order to create more open space on the floor"

There have to be clips of these somewhere.

Triple Edit: I tried to find some and post them but they all have insufferable narrators instead of just showing the loving clips.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 14, 2022

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

Also the time she destroyed the home owner's vinyl collection by stapling the records to the wall. And the flower bathroom. The horror kitchen. Putting a mosaic portrait of her as an accent wall. The attempts to paint via paintball gun. Which not only didn't paint well but hosed up the drywall.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Thomamelas posted:

Also the time she destroyed the home owner's vinyl collection by stapling the records to the wall.

:wtc:
How's that not "willful destruction of property" or whatever the crime is in the US?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

tangy yet delightful posted:

Just pretend you're putting one 4x4 gauze from 1997 on your wound and some dried out medical tape because that's all the box will contain anyway.

might have some of the supervisor's liquor though

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Thomamelas posted:

Also the time she destroyed the home owner's vinyl collection by stapling the records to the wall. And the flower bathroom. The horror kitchen. Putting a mosaic portrait of her as an accent wall. The attempts to paint via paintball gun. Which not only didn't paint well but hosed up the drywall.

What are you guys talking about? Like a real decorating show? Or a parody? Nobody could be that stupid to do those things or to knowingly hire someone like that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Blistex posted:

What are you guys talking about? Like a real decorating show? Or a parody? Nobody could be that stupid to do those things or to knowingly hire someone like that.

Peep it

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/briangalindo/the-5-most-wtf-room-makeovers-hildi-santo-tomas-did-on-tradi

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

So for the one with the hay, did she think she was involved in some kind of elaborate fire insurance fraud?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Airconswitch posted:

So for the one with the hay, did she think she was involved in some kind of elaborate fire insurance fraud?

My read is she's making awful poo poo on purpose to stir up drama.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

trading spaces a tlc show where a pair of neighbors would go renovate a room in eachother house for like 2 or 3 days with the help of insane Interior designers

sometimes it turned out well, other times well other than above

There was the time that someone paneled up a great brick fireplace and it made the owners cry on camera

or the time where the designers decided to design a room entirely white and a room entirely black, where the family who owned the soon to be white room had recently redone their hardwood floors and didnt want them touched

so the designer naturally had them painted white

poo poo like this for seasons

oh and the budget was something like 1000 dollars and whatever you could steal from the house

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 15, 2022

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Vim Fuego posted:

"I don’t understand. My measurements were right… How did it get so crooked?!"

The real world isn't AutoCAD, you can't snap to parallel lines and exact coordinates so don't even think you're close enough to try.

On a monthly basis, I'll field problem calls from customers installing our track crossing panels because "They won't fit!!! I spaced the ties the same spacing as the holes, 16 1/2" apart!!" instead of reading the instructions that specify 18" on-center.

In the perfect world of CAD, it's supposed to look like this:

Our instructions also specify to mark along the rail the spacing for ties at 18" increments using a long tape measure, not a 18" long ruler, because every time you pick up the ruler and set it down, you'll be 1/4" to 3/8" off from perfect... and when you're laying 80 ties in a row, that poo poo adds up quick.

"HOW IN THE HELL ARE THE LAG HOLES MISSING TIES? You sent us bad panels! The spacing is at 18" on center!! Well, more like 18.25" average... but that should be close enough, right?"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Atleast Monster House made it pretty clear that you're house was gonna get turned into a weird fever dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhbjwN5TzPI&t=2785s

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Thomamelas posted:

Also the time she destroyed the home owner's vinyl collection by stapling the records to the wall.

:sbahj:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Oh yeah, more Hildi memories: She spray painted the couple's brand new couch bright pink, then left it outside to dry. Overnight. In Seattle. It got rained on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hildi is a chaos elemental.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So intentional idiocy for ratings, likely with the homeowner's consent. ;)

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Computer viking posted:

:wtc:
How's that not "willful destruction of property" or whatever the crime is in the US?

I assume there was a waiver of some kind.

Blistex posted:

I'm not funny enough to make that poo poo up. It was a real show. Sometimes they did some good decorating cheap. Most of the time it was meh. But sometimes Hilde would have an idea. And those ideas would make the nation go WTF. Like part of me wants to think she was just a spiteful human being but no editor could hide that. She is just maybe the worst decorator in the world.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

I assume there was a waiver of some kind.

Allegedly the production company paid to undo the hay thing

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cat Hatter posted:

drat, I was going to post that video. Biggest offender of home shows ruining people's houses with tacky crap was Monster House, the spinoff of Monster Garage where you had to live in whatever that week's team hacked together. Their version of every white person wanting a tiki bar in their house was to put the giant Olmec head Mr. Burns gave Homer Simpson into someone's living room and make it shoot a fireball into the middle of the room.

The Glumslinger posted:

Atleast Monster House made it pretty clear that you're house was gonna get turned into a weird fever dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhbjwN5TzPI&t=2785s

I'll bet some of you thought I was exaggerating about the giant head that breathes fire...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

interior design is my passion

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

This woman is an absolute loving lunatic, only the most sadistic producer would let her anywhere near a house

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This video has the residents’ reaction to the beach room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_xye7OESnc&t=469s

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

peanut posted:

interior design is my passion

Love language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i had a terrible moment of introspection when I was watching a recent house hunters or something and each new home had pretty much the same finishes as my current one. i think I’m building or gutting/renovating the next house.