Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Also MS Flight Sim is on PC Gamepass and they often do trial months for basically free if you want to check how it works on your actual machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Just checking back to say I found updated drivers for Windows 10 for the LAN on the Gigabyte B550i and I think that may have solved the problem. Ethernet still connected.

I had tried updating it before–after all updating drivers is just basic troubleshooting 101–but it seems updating to the new Windows 11 specific drivers was not an automatic process and I had to manually install them from the RealTek website. Pretty wild that this issue seems ubiquitous across most Gigabyte B550 boards. It's actually a little difficult to conceive of how this passed QA.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dumb question about NVMe / M.2 SSDs, because in my book those are still fancy new things: NewEgg has a bunch of different "Form Factor" filters for their SSDs, M.2 2242, M.2 2260 etc. etc.

Are they all really the same form factor and merely different speeds? Or are they actually physically different?

The spec sheet for my mobo simply says:

quote:

2 x M.2 Key-M 110mm up to 32Gbps
1 x M.2 Key-E 32mm

So will any old M.2 drive work?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The four digits at the end are measurements of the physical dimensions. The the physical length differs and the hole for the screw to hold them won't be in the same place and they're not intercompatible in that sense. Since your motherboard specifies 110mm, you should be looking for a 22110 form factor drive, as far as I understand.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

gently caress, 22110's are hella expensive lol

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I noticed now I kinda glossed over that 32mm slot, but that doesn't seem terribly common either. Also there could be differences between the slots with regard to how many pci lanes they use and or may disable sata ports or whatever. All that's beyond me, you should ask in the ssd thread, probably.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks, I'll check there / do some more reading.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
You should tell us the motherboard model. I don't think any maker would be stupid enough to only support 110mm long M.2s, most likely that is the maximum length but there are screw holes for shorter drives, 80mm is probably the most common.

You were wondering about the speed, that's because the M.2 slot supports several different transport protocols, SATA, PCIe(NVMe), USB and so on. Your Key-M slots support PCIe ×4 and SATA, the Key-E slot slower PCIe and USB. You should check the wikipedia page.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's an EVGA Z490 FTW

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah my mobo has 4 M.2 slots and each one had 3 different sets of standoffs for different size M.2 drives.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Z490 FTW has positions for 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, and 110mm drives from what I can tell looking at photos of the board.

Also important note: m.2 drives generally do not come with standoffs and mounting screws. They probably came with your motherboard, but I lost those long ago and had to buy some off Amazon when I got an m.2 drive. Take a look on your motherboard, a stand-off and screw might already be there - just move it to the hole corresponding to the right length for the ssd you get.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Looks like there's a screw in there already. Double checked the manual and in 1 tiny paragraph in the many sections that refer to m.2 things:

> This socket will support Key-M devices of 110mm, 80mm, 60mm, and 42mm
length

:toot: 80mm seem to be the cheapest by far.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes, 2280 is the standard for desktops and laptops, and everything else is for niche applications.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Okay one last question, as I was watching an install guide on YouTube. The host mentioned slotting multiple M.2 drives can potentially slow them down? Is that a thing? I was hoping to just grab 2x Samsung 970's from a local electronics store and retire all 3 of my old SSD + HDD.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Speed on M.2 drives may be capped if they share bandwidth with one another or with other SATA/PCI-E plugs on the board. For instance, if my SATA5/6 is populated on my Z490-A Prime, the second M.2 slot is limited to 2X speed.

As best as I can tell, this is not the case for the M.2 on that Z490 FTW.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In extreme cases, you can max out the DMI bus bandwidth, but a couple of 970s for casual use is not an extreme case. edit: one of the drives will be connected directly to the CPU, so that's really not an issue.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Even if that motherboard was one which had an issue with it (doesn't appear to be) if you are coming from SATA SSDs and HDDs the speed loss from running dual m.2 drives would be so much less than the gain you'll get from your old setup that it would be absolutely completely unnoticeable.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I decided to just go for one disk for now, if I really need more space later I'll just buy it then.

But ugh gently caress I need to buy some thermal pads for the disk off Amazon I guess. The mobo manual says it came with some, but I sure as hell don't still have them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sab669 posted:

I decided to just go for one disk for now, if I really need more space later I'll just buy it then.

But ugh gently caress I need to buy some thermal pads for the disk off Amazon I guess. The mobo manual says it came with some, but I sure as hell don't still have them.

No you don't. It would take an extreme situation for SSD temps to be an issue.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: I'm just following the instructions per the mobo manual;

https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/122-CL-E497-KR.pdf

Page 30 posted:

1. Before you can install an M.2 device, you must first remove the screw that comes pre-attached to the Socket 3’s retention standoff; this will be used to keep the device in place. The standoff is placed at the 80mm interval for the Socket 3 slot. Next add one thermal pad – included with the Z490 FTW accessories – to the outlined area to the right

Also this thing will be sitting directly under a 3070 :v:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't waste your money

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea rewatching a few install guides on YouTube none of them use a pad either. Okay, cool, I couldn't care less about wasting the $10 -- it was waiting the 2+ days for shipping I was salty about :v:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Random question, but why does starting a game cause skipping/stuttering in youtube on my second monitor, but something like running a CPU & GPU stress test does not?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like using the Sleep function on my computer, but is it possible to make it so that only the power button will wake it up, and not the mouse/keyboard, because I have a cat that loves jumping up on my desk?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like using the Sleep function on my computer, but is it possible to make it so that only the power button will wake it up, and not the mouse/keyboard, because I have a cat that loves jumping up on my desk?

Each input device in Device Manager should have a checkbox for "Allow this device to wake this computer" which you can turn off.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Bondematt posted:

Random question, but why does starting a game cause skipping/stuttering in youtube on my second monitor, but something like running a CPU & GPU stress test does not?

As a total guess, starting a game is going to hit your I/O as it transfers data off your disk. Youtube may be writing data to a temp file on a disk (especially if it has run out of RAM because of the game loading) and you are seeing buffering issues. Do you get the same issue if you are playing a video locally with VLC or whatever?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Shifty Pony posted:

The Z490 FTW has positions for 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, and 110mm drives from what I can tell looking at photos of the board.

Also important note: m.2 drives generally do not come with standoffs and mounting screws. They probably came with your motherboard, but I lost those long ago and had to buy some off Amazon when I got an m.2 drive. Take a look on your motherboard, a stand-off and screw might already be there - just move it to the hole corresponding to the right length for the ssd you get.

Two great gifts I gave myself over the years were: a little electric precision screwdriver, and a couple different sets of common component screws. Remember the things that piss you off then take the steps to mitigate them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Chilled Milk posted:

Two great gifts I gave myself over the years were: a little electric precision screwdriver, and a couple different sets of common component screws. Remember the things that piss you off then take the steps to mitigate them.

Can you post the screwdriver you bought? I'm curious, thanks.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

E: oops, misread

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

VelociBacon posted:

Can you post the screwdriver you bought? I'm curious, thanks.

That would be the Wowstick 69.

I got it a few year ago now so idk if they still sell this brand but it’s done alright by me. The little tubes of drivers they give you aren’t a very elegant storage system but it does make the set compact.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Chilled Milk posted:

That would be the Wowstick 69.

I got it a few year ago now so idk if they still sell this brand but it’s done alright by me. The little tubes of drivers they give you aren’t a very elegant storage system but it does make the set compact.

Is this actually a joke because it looks like a vibrator and it's even priced at 69.99

e: Looks interesting, reviews look good also.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 15, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Never mind the price, it even says "69 in one" on the box haha

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there a meaningful quality difference between Verbatim and Windata CD-Rs? Microcenter carries both and the former are twice the price, so either Windata is cheaping out, or Verbatim is hoping people will think Windata is cheaping out, but nobody cares about CR-Rs anymore so google has nothing. (I'm making backups for old videogame systems, before anyone asks).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The quality of rewritable discs can vary pretty heavily, with cheap ones prone to write failures and data corruption over time. I have absolutely no idea what the decent brands are now (I wasn't even aware they still sold CD-Rs), but Verbatim was considered a high-quality brand back in the '00s. It's always possible that they're just coasting on that reputation now and there's no difference between them and their cheaper competition nowadays, though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm getting mixed answers online, figured I'd ask here:

I built my PC in March? of 2021 and reused an old GPU (GTX970) because they were still rare as hen's teeth. I lucked into a 3070ti the other day, and now I'm concerned about whether my PSU is beefy enough. Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MSI Tomahawk B550
16GB RAM
WD Blue 2GB NVME
EVGA G5 650W PSU

I will probably add more storage down the line, but that isn't confirmed yet. Is 650W enough, or should I start looking through SA classifieds for someone who gets a Newegg bundle with a larger/decent PSU? Similarly, if I should upgrade, EVGA G5 still a solid pick?

Edit: I'm going to crosspost this in the build thread, but this goon has a GPU for sale that looks decent - any known issues with Corsair, or specifically the Corsair AX-850? It's Titanium rated.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 15, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The quality of rewritable discs can vary pretty heavily, with cheap ones prone to write failures and data corruption over time. I have absolutely no idea what the decent brands are now (I wasn't even aware they still sold CD-Rs), but Verbatim was considered a high-quality brand back in the '00s. It's always possible that they're just coasting on that reputation now and there's no difference between them and their cheaper competition nowadays, though.

Really, Verbatim was supposed to be high quality? Maybe it was a bad batch, but their CDs were the first of mine to fail, and very consistently. Like within 5 years. It was a rude awakening, because at the time I thought CDs were supposed to be a long lasting medium, but so many of my writable CDs have been outlasted by practically every VHS tape from when I was a kid (my dad is a hoarder for that kind of thing).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I built my PC in March? of 2021 and reused an old GPU (GTX970) because they were still rare as hen's teeth. I lucked into a 3070ti the other day, and now I'm concerned about whether my PSU is beefy enough. Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MSI Tomahawk B550
16GB RAM
WD Blue 2GB NVME
EVGA G5 650W PSU

I will probably add more storage down the line, but that isn't confirmed yet. Is 650W enough, or should I start looking through SA classifieds for someone who gets a Newegg bundle with a larger/decent PSU? Similarly, if I should upgrade, EVGA G5 still a solid pick?

Edit: I'm going to crosspost this in the build thread, but this goon has a GPU for sale that looks decent - any known issues with Corsair, or specifically the Corsair AX-850? It's Titanium rated.

I'm sure 650 is enough. Google a few PSU calculators and see what you get but I'm really quite sure that's good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MSI Tomahawk B550
16GB RAM
WD Blue 2GB NVME
EVGA G5 650W PSU

PCPP has that as 450W unless I made a mistake, you should be fine. Power needs for storage are negligible.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Got it. bequiet had it recommending a minimum 750W, so does the Nvidia spec sheet. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Really, Verbatim was supposed to be high quality? Maybe it was a bad batch, but their CDs were the first of mine to fail, and very consistently. Like within 5 years. It was a rude awakening, because at the time I thought CDs were supposed to be a long lasting medium, but so many of my writable CDs have been outlasted by practically every VHS tape from when I was a kid (my dad is a hoarder for that kind of thing).

This is the same opinion I have. The price is in the name brand but the name brand itself doesn't really mean much nowadays. I have both windata and verbatim and I think they're both fine and I don't remember any issues with either.

In fact, I popped in an older windata cdr boot disk and ran a hash over the data and it's still perfect.

On an adjacent note, do NOT get verbatim flash drives, they aren't worth it even if they're free.