Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The upper deck sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

False, the deck owns and has demonstrably benefited control bots and hosed over spinners. A good change.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Horizontal spinners aren't the type of spinners that needed to get nerfed. Vert spinners still run this bitch. The deck didn't help Defender against Ribbot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BurntCornMuffin posted:

They've had wins, going 1-2 in season 5's quals.

Oh I misunderstood the guy, was going to say

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have no idea what Defender was supposed to do

It's definitely a control bot with a lifter arm. But they went up against a pro driving team in Ribbot and really had no chance to ever control anything.

Rusty is a pretty awkward sized bot and got some pretty serious airtime from Blip, might be a really fun flipper to watch this year...

Also was pretty surprised on Tantrum being an incredibly effective bot!

And the shelf does rule.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's not very evident until a fight like tonight, but Whiplash is actually a solid control bot with a token spinner on its manipulator. It's different than something like Hypershock or Witch Doctor even if there are some cosmetic similarities.

Defender is a different kind of control bot, with a less-experienced driver. Probably a mistake to discount it considering the team/family it comes from. Also, unlikely to be entirely scrapped as a concept even if it doesn't perform this season.

The shelf really needs a big spinner on it to wreck your poo poo if you get tossed up there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The shelf should be a Robot Wars death pit

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, they didn't move for like 25 seconds before the countdown even started.

I thought the rules were that a 10-second countdown starts as soon as you're on the shelf

I think you only get counted out for deliberately staying on the shelf to hide.

The standard count out is: looks disabled, ref gives them about ten seconds to show movement, then ten second count after that.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

gently caress no. that is the last thing this needs

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Death pits are literally the worst hazard in all of robot combat.

The shelf has actually been useful and enjoyable these first 2 episodes.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Video from the Hijinx team explaining team explaining what happened. The wheel fell off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGak7fGdDMo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Losing to Mammoth has to be embarrassing, it's like a mixed martial artist losing a match by being slapped into unconsciousness

I love it

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This was the first episode my kids watched in full (I only showed them the fights from the first episode.) My oldest went 0-4 on picking the Bot that would win/the one he was going for so completely gave up for the rest of the episode trying to disguise it as "I don't really care who wins, it doesn't really matter".

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Losing to Mammoth has to be embarrassing, it's like a mixed martial artist losing a match by being slapped into unconsciousness

It's not exactly Rusty. Looking at its stats they've got a better than .500 winnrate

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tunicate posted:

I love it

Slapped into unconsciousness by a giant maybe.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Death pits are literally the worst hazard in all of robot combat.

The shelf has actually been useful and enjoyable these first 2 episodes.

I definitely don't want to see anything like Bigger Brother lucking into a win against Hypno-Disc again in my life.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

logikv9 posted:

i saw hydra smoking a bit early in that match but then i remembered the factoid about having an oil filter now so for some stupid reason i thought it was simply exhaust :shepicide:

that could be said about most of the robots tombstone faces though, with everyone having an anti-tombstone angled wedge attachment sitting in their closets. tombstone is usually just more durable in being able to dish out the hits and the subsequent self-fling across the ring. the internals were sparking with the first one or two hits with their new upgrades.

that said i don't remember if they were using their spinning bar with the bolted-on teeth at the end. to be honest i think the teeth addon is a horrible idea, it can't be stronger than a unibody bar and the moment it breaks off the bar is unbalanced.

Yo, sorry to bring this up from a week ago, but let's talk about metallurgy

Steel can be hard, or it can be tough, depending on alloy and heat treatment.

Hardness is like a diamond - real strong, but you can smash it up with a hammer. It's very brittle.
Toughness is more like what you might see if a car hits a lamppost. The lamppost will bend, but it'll stay in one piece. If you hit it only a little bit, it might deform slightly (like, the top of it might be visibly wobbling) and then spring back.

What do you want Tombstone's solid bar to be like?
Well, if you anneal it to be really tough, then it'll spin around and will never truly break, but it'll be like silly putty. It'll hit another (hardened) bot, and the bar itself will be all gummy and have chunks of it mash to the side and not really do any damage.
If you temper it to be really hard, that's even worse - The whole thing will shatter. This actually happened a few seasons ago, Tombstone's bar split in half.

To be the best of both worlds, you want both - An annealed soft bar in the middle, with a hardened business end to gently caress up bot armour.

There are two ways to achieve this:

You can build a single bar, and harden only the end using some fancy heat treatment process. On something that large and heavy, this is incredibly difficult and expensive. If a bar tip gets slightly hosed up, you also can't really recondition it. You have to toss it and put a new one on. It is also hard to check to see if you've done it right.

The other method is to use a soft bar and put hardened inserts on the end. This is what they've done this season, and there are a lot of benefits. The bar is cheap and easy to make, the tips are cheap and easy to make, and there isn't a lot that can go wrong on the build side. It's easy to check that each part is hard/soft as appropriate, and if the tip gets damaged, you just bolt a new one on.

This is a similar strategy that professional machinists have been using forever for lathes or mills - They have cheap toolholder and bolt on tiny little disposable carbide inserts on the cutting side.

Obviously the issue here is that they didn't bolt the inserts on well enough. So it's a design problem, but not the one you think it is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

At one point I did the math, and because jade is so insanely tough, replacing steel armor with the equivalent weight of jade seems logistically feasible.

Plus it'd be a cool gimmick.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Obviously they should make the bar out of whatever the black box is made of

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tombstones been bolting teeth on to the bar for as long as it's existed. Before laser cutting got so cheap it was pretty common and it's generally worked out. Except for that one time with Nightmare.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Great Beer posted:

Tombstones been bolting teeth on to the bar for as long as it's existed. Before laser cutting got so cheap it was pretty common and it's generally worked out. Except for that one time with Nightmare.

Yeah, checking, it looks like they have both varieties. They lost their bar in S4 vs. Bite Force, and it was the solid tool steel bar. Makes sense. They've also chipped a tooth a few times.

In short, mechanical engineering is a land of contrasts

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ante posted:

Yo, sorry to bring this up from a week ago, but let's talk about metallurgy

Steel can be hard, or it can be tough, depending on alloy and heat treatment.

Hardness is like a diamond - real strong, but you can smash it up with a hammer. It's very brittle.
Toughness is more like what you might see if a car hits a lamppost. The lamppost will bend, but it'll stay in one piece. If you hit it only a little bit, it might deform slightly (like, the top of it might be visibly wobbling) and then spring back.

What do you want Tombstone's solid bar to be like?
Well, if you anneal it to be really tough, then it'll spin around and will never truly break, but it'll be like silly putty. It'll hit another (hardened) bot, and the bar itself will be all gummy and have chunks of it mash to the side and not really do any damage.
If you temper it to be really hard, that's even worse - The whole thing will shatter. This actually happened a few seasons ago, Tombstone's bar split in half.

To be the best of both worlds, you want both - An annealed soft bar in the middle, with a hardened business end to gently caress up bot armour.

There are two ways to achieve this:

You can build a single bar, and harden only the end using some fancy heat treatment process. On something that large and heavy, this is incredibly difficult and expensive. If a bar tip gets slightly hosed up, you also can't really recondition it. You have to toss it and put a new one on. It is also hard to check to see if you've done it right.

The other method is to use a soft bar and put hardened inserts on the end. This is what they've done this season, and there are a lot of benefits. The bar is cheap and easy to make, the tips are cheap and easy to make, and there isn't a lot that can go wrong on the build side. It's easy to check that each part is hard/soft as appropriate, and if the tip gets damaged, you just bolt a new one on.

This is a similar strategy that professional machinists have been using forever for lathes or mills - They have cheap toolholder and bolt on tiny little disposable carbide inserts on the cutting side.

Obviously the issue here is that they didn't bolt the inserts on well enough. So it's a design problem, but not the one you think it is.

cool poo poo to know thanks

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPOd-DxTbcc
Shatter! vs. SubZero - Bonus Fight

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

loving L O L @ SubZero's flipper firing for the first time about half a second before the fight ends

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.botsfc.com/home/battlebots-2021-post-fight-report-1-shatter-vs-subzero-breaking-the-ice-on-a-new-season

Botsfc write-up on the fight, some damage pictures, and changes to shatter for the season.

Also has some explanation on what was wrong with subzeros flipper.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It does my heart good to see a hammer doing some real work.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I love it

Mammoth is basically designed as a giant control bot whose only real moves are to shove other bots around and sometimes punish spinners by making their weapon hit the box or walls. And it honestly owns. If a bot can't over come this most basic hurdle, then it might be time to rethink things when it comes tome to face an actual control bot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mammoth's upgrades this year with the sturdier flipping arm and extra drive chain might make it a pretty interesting bot going forward. It's never going to win the Giant Nut or anything, but it's certainly able to gently caress over and spoil some other bots from making it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
flippers and mammoth got nerfed a bit this year now you can't flip / endlessly slap bots out of the ring huh

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
No, because you can flip them onto the upper deck thing. And then hope they can't get off for some reason. Or something, I'm not really clear what the rules are with it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Upper Deck gives flippers a little extra power against the bots that can't self right. Otherwise it doesn't do too much.

But although it was a way for the flippers to get a win, most of their game plan wasn't about getting the perfect flip and getting a bot outside the arena. It's to just gently caress up the bots with the flips and control the match.

A lot of bots are really not made for being flipped high up into the air... Especially if they land on their spinning weapon. A 250 pound bot getting a few feet into the air and falling... that's a lot of loving force getting sent through all the internal parts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

flippers and mammoth got nerfed a bit this year now you can't flip / endlessly slap bots out of the ring huh

For sure. The upshot is control bots now get some smaller boxes in the arena they can corner their opponents in and smash them around.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

To be fair they've been also nerfing spinners as well. Tombstone and Minotaur used to spin 300+ mph before they reduced the tip speed and now the Deep Six rule they added prior to this season means SOW in its current form can no longer compete (tho its been retired anyways).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

halokiller posted:

To be fair they've been also nerfing spinners as well. Tombstone and Minotaur used to spin 300+ mph before they reduced the tip speed and now the Deep Six rule they added prior to this season means SOW in its current form can no longer compete (tho its been retired anyways).

Have they done anything to nerf vertical spinners? Those were already dominant, and a smaller box that a control bot can shove them around in doesn't hurt a vertical spinner as much as a horizontal one.

They even talked in that segment they did on weird bots that break the meta about how the optimal bot at the moment is wedge-front 4WD vertical spinners.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The tighter corners are great for control bots until the vertical spinner it's pushing around spools back up and it gets thrown into orbit because it can't escape.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
time to give walker bots a bigger buff

1000 lbs of pure murderous metal

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Finally got caught up on the first two episodes.

Whiplash is amazing. I was worried about it going in, but it dominated Blood Sport from bell to bell. No one can drive like Matty and there was not one second of that fight that he wasn't in total control.

Watching Mad Catter annihilate Yeti was also a lot of fun. Everyone always underestimates Catter until it destroys something.

Free Shipping should have won his match.

Kraken is so great. He's a wonderful underdog who's never going to win it all, but he never has a boring match.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think if Kraken was able to clamp down faster, he'd actually be a potential contender, for at least the final 4. Kraken is pretty capable of being a solid control bot and in seasons past has been able to penetrate bots, and from their prefight interview they seem to have increased the power of the bite for the season...

I think maybe they just need a 2 stage system for the clamp down, one to just clamp down quick, and the other to put the pressure on and bite in.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Great Beer posted:

https://www.botsfc.com/home/battlebots-2021-post-fight-report-1-shatter-vs-subzero-breaking-the-ice-on-a-new-season

Botsfc write-up on the fight, some damage pictures, and changes to shatter for the season.

Also has some explanation on what was wrong with subzeros flipper.

Apparently SubZero had set the pressure in their main tanks higher in this fight than their earlier testing - this may have caused some faults in their regulator system leading to no pressure downstream. They believed the system had a small leak - allowing it to bleed off pressure during the fight and eventually reaching a low enough level that the flipper was able to work at the end.

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
lol after watching this poo poo i fell down the robot battle youtube hole but i did find this very funny video of small Huge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM6nOQI2xf8&t=2478s

this whole video has a lot of funny poo poo in it