Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Me: I want to commission an art piece of my Lala Monk. I should take some screenshots for reference of the pose I want to use!
Also me: AAAAHHH THEYRE ALL COOL I CANT DECIDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My new PvP joy is going SAM/DNC, running up to someone and Midare/Technical Step right in their face. It's funny watching them panic as half their HP bar disappears.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

New Heavensward, Old friend

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

for AOE, is it always a DPS gain to use Toxikon 2 over Dyskrasia 2?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's a dps gain if you have addersting stacks, but don't use a gcd reapplying eukrasian diagnosis to get an addersting stack unless there's nothing to hit.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

for AOE, is it always a DPS gain to use Toxikon 2 over Dyskrasia 2?

toxikon 2 is 300 for the first target, 150 for each subsequent target. 150 is less than dyskrasia 2's 160, so toxikon 2 will do less damage against packs of more than... 15 creatures hit at once.

so for all intents and purposes, yes it's always a dps gain, but it's a larger dps gain against smaller packs

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Like It's 330 for one and then 165 for every future one, so technically if you're fighting 34 things it is a dps gain to use Dyskrasia II.

But yes use Toxikon if you have the stacks but don't waste a GCD to get them. I usually get one or two shields on the tank pre pull and running between packs but other than that no.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If you wanna get really optimized, you can preshield yourself and the tank and glue yourself to him while you're running to gather packs. E.Dosis on 3-4 is a DPS gain while you're running to gather everything up, and the Kardia proc from it will send everything running to you, so you can usually get your own E.Diagnosis shield knocked off for an extra Addersting if you're quick about it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FAT BATMAN posted:

Me: I want to commission an art piece of my Lala Monk. I should take some screenshots for reference of the pose I want to use!
Also me: AAAAHHH THEYRE ALL COOL I CANT DECIDE

This is what happens if a Time Mage casts Stop right as the monk uses Phantom Rush.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

for the raiders out there, what on earth is the deal with the adds phase in p3s lmao

you don't really read anywhere about people saying the damage check is tight. video guides i watched don't mention it. people in the balance do as the balance do and say "if you don't meet the check you're underperforming". and yet, my static has slammed into big adds enrage inconsistently. sometimes it seems like enrage triggers early. sometimes it doesn't, and yet we somehow just barely kill before it goes off. it feel like there's something we're legitimately missing here on how it's supposed to work. we were attacking them all before dashes, pulling all four to mid after dashes, doing a couple aoes, then returning to where we need to drop the bodies. even on pulls without deaths we would often see the animation of an enrage cast going off (though it didn't always kill us).

we gave up and started using caster lb1. it's made it omega comfy. it may cause problems in the future when trying to meet boss enrage, but i'm less concerned about that at the moment. gives us time to figure out what's going on in the meanwhile at least.

before anyone does play the underperforming card, i mean, i've known my team for two years now and together we all became triple legends and beat previous tiers in a month, so like... legitimately not trying to brag but just, provide context on why i'm so baffled at how tight this damage check seems to be. we know how to Push Buttons

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 15, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vitamean posted:

love power tripping in frontlines with a light party stack

A pale shadow of rolling with a full party murderball :sigh:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

for the raiders out there, what on earth is the deal with the adds phase in p3s lmao

you don't really read anywhere about people saying the damage check is tight. video guides i watched don't mention it. people in the balance do as the balance do and say "if you don't meet the check you're underperforming". and yet, my static has slammed into big adds enrage inconsistently. sometimes it seems like enrage triggers early. sometimes it doesn't, and yet we somehow just barely kill before it goes off. it feel like there's something we're legitimately missing here on how it's supposed to work. we were attacking them all before dashes, pulling all four to mid after dashes, doing a couple aoes, then returning to where we need to drop the bodies. even on pulls without deaths we would often see the animation of an enrage cast going off (though it didn't always kill us).

we gave up and started using caster lb1. it's made it omega comfy. it may cause problems in the future when trying to meet boss enrage, but i'm less concerned about that at the moment. gives us time to figure out what's going on in the meanwhile at least.

before anyone does play the underperforming card, i mean, i've known my team for two years now and together we all became triple legends and beat previous tiers in a month, so like... legitimately not trying to brag but just, provide context on why i'm so baffled at how tight this damage check seems to be. we know how to Push Buttons

Not trying to be rude here but what else could it mean but underperforming at that part? We didn't have any issues getting birds down without LB, so I'll say make sure people are always casting something on a bird, since outside of when they're dashing people are always in range of them. I don't think there's really anything wrong with using a caster LB there anyway, since the dps requirement for the boss isn't as tight.

e: What's your party comp? Do you have any logs? If you don't feel comfortable posting them either you can compare to our clear to see if there's a noticeable difference. PLEASE don't be mean to me about my gray parse but you can be mean to the machinist and warrior

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 15, 2022

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

hey this is kind of a wild shot but
is your group full of parse lords? according to fflogs that part of the fight deosnt actually exist, in any sense, for some reason. If someones overpooling resources cause they want to reopen with more they could be griefing you. Then again if people are acquiescing to an lb then maybe not?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

RME posted:

is your group full of parse lords? according to fflogs that part of the fight deosnt actually exist, in any sense, for some reason. If someones overpooling resources cause they want to reopen with more they could be griefing you. Then again if people are acquiescing to an lb then maybe not?

They were talking about removing add damage from rankings to stop people using degen strats to pad aoe damage to try and parse.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

CJ posted:

They were talking about removing add damage from rankings to stop people using degen strats to pad aoe damage to try and parse.

yah really stupid decision

RME
Feb 20, 2012

my degen strat of hitting my aoe button

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

It definitely felt tight the first few times we hit our heads against it but after a while we started not feeling the crunch as much. I was a tank so I can't really say what changed but I definitely had to use a lot less tank cooldowns over time. Maybe the issue is that you're pulling them back to the middle after the dashes? We just go to north/south right away, the big birds keep the same aggro levels as the small birds.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 15, 2022

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dryzen posted:

Not trying to be rude here but what else could it mean but underperforming at that part? We didn't have any issues getting birds down without LB, so I'll say make sure people are always casting something on a bird, since outside of when they're dashing people are always in range of them. I don't think there's really anything wrong with using a caster LB there anyway, since the dps requirement for the boss isn't as tight.

e: What's your party comp? Do you have any logs? If you don't feel comfortable posting them either you can compare to our clear to see if there's a noticeable difference. PLEASE don't be mean to me about my gray parse but you can be mean to the machinist and warrior

i WILL be mean to you, sorry

nah. it's not rude it's just like, historically "not doing enough damage" has not usually been a problem for us in the past lmao. we're usually skipping mechanics more than anything. maybe we're just stupid bad at adds phases specifically and it's never come up until now. it's assuring to know that we probably aren't setting ourselves back too much with a caster lb, it's just, weird. that in combination that we're still not 100% confident on if there's an extra enrage trigger beyond "time existed". we feel like sometimes it happens earlier than expected, but we aren't sure if it's our imagination or if we just got lied to by a balance post that says low hp enemies can enrage early.

i have logs from tonight's attempts. is there a way i can make it show me how much damage we've done during that adds window? I can highlight it and see casts at least, and it doesn't seem like there's anything egregiously wrong but it's hard for me to pinpoint it based solely on CPM. i struggle to pick out any particular log to share, because idk which one is really most indicative of how we normally perform in adds phase. sometimes there's a death, sometimes there's someone out of position and causes confusion. definite contributors to a potential wipe, but it's a lot of info to dig through where i can't ascertain the full picture from numbers alone. in 2~ hours we had four pulls go past adds, then we switched to caster lb for our final half hour and had three more pulls make it past lol. one of those even had a dps death! during dashes!
https://www.fflogs.com/reports/a:zrHc39dGZgJtLbR6

RME posted:

we have a fair number of parse heads but it's never really been so strong of an impact that people are willing to throw. we WILL bully one of our melee dps into doing an lb3, even if they're on a hot streak, lol. we read you can burn anything <30 sec or less on big adds and we definitely do. sometimes more on top of that if it's looking bad at a glance.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kaubocks posted:

This might be a dumb question, but are you attacking them while they're still just waiting on the edges of the arena and assigning/slowly casting their tethers? Most of the PF groups I've been in make a point to just kill the north bird before it even charges, and then cleaning the other three up is pretty comfy.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

This might be a dumb question, but are you attacking them while they're still just waiting on the edges of the arena and assigning/slowly casting their tethers? Most of the PF groups I've been in make a point to just kill the north bird before it even charges, and then cleaning the other three up is pretty comfy.

yeah we're attacking the adds while the tethers go out. we've been doing this

i've heard of the north bird kill strat but heard conflicting stories on how reliable it is. if you have a clip of it i'd love to see it in action

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Vaporizing one of the birds seems more like a gear-enabled safety strat. Nothing particularly wrong with that, just that it’s end goal feels more like it’s trying to eliminate two possible points of failure rather than lighten the check

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

i've heard of the north bird kill strat but heard conflicting stories on how reliable it is. if you have a clip of it i'd love to see it in action

Yeah that's the normal strat. I think you can skip the "gather in the middle" step and just go N/S right away.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yall gotta pump those numbers up.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kaubocks posted:

I don't have a video and as far as I know there's nothing special to it. I'm a black mage and I just start out by dropping a thundercloud proc and then some number of xenos glossy and paradoxes on it until/unless the tether I'm assigned forces me to the opposite end of the arena. From what I can see, melee characters just sit on the bird until the last second and then use their gap closers to dart to where they should be at the last second.

Buuut this doesn't really make a difference compared to everyone attacking their "own" birds at their tether spot the whole way through, since damage is damage, right? My only guess was that your party was spending too much time at the start of the phase trying to find their spots and not attacking while they were doing it, since otherwise as long as each character is keeping their GCD rolling on some target you should be able to kill them all before they whirlwind you.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

i WILL be mean to you, sorry

nah. it's not rude it's just like, historically "not doing enough damage" has not usually been a problem for us in the past lmao. we're usually skipping mechanics more than anything. maybe we're just stupid bad at adds phases specifically and it's never come up until now. it's assuring to know that we probably aren't setting ourselves back too much with a caster lb, it's just, weird. that in combination that we're still not 100% confident on if there's an extra enrage trigger beyond "time existed". we feel like sometimes it happens earlier than expected, but we aren't sure if it's our imagination or if we just got lied to by a balance post that says low hp enemies can enrage early.

i have logs from tonight's attempts. is there a way i can make it show me how much damage we've done during that adds window? I can highlight it and see casts at least, and it doesn't seem like there's anything egregiously wrong but it's hard for me to pinpoint it based solely on CPM. i struggle to pick out any particular log to share, because idk which one is really most indicative of how we normally perform in adds phase. sometimes there's a death, sometimes there's someone out of position and causes confusion. definite contributors to a potential wipe, but it's a lot of info to dig through where i can't ascertain the full picture from numbers alone. in 2~ hours we had four pulls go past adds, then we switched to caster lb for our final half hour and had three more pulls make it past lol. one of those even had a dps death! during dashes!
https://www.fflogs.com/reports/a:zrHc39dGZgJtLbR6

we have a fair number of parse heads but it's never really been so strong of an impact that people are willing to throw. we WILL bully one of our melee dps into doing an lb3, even if they're on a hot streak, lol. we read you can burn anything <30 sec or less on big adds and we definitely do. sometimes more on top of that if it's looking bad at a glance.

I'm not an fflogs master so I may not be looking at this correctly, but looking at this section the immediate thing I noticed is the red mage isn't using their melee combo during the big bird phase which is something ours is doing. I'm not really familiar with reaper, but I feel like they should be doing more damage too. I've only looked at a few of the wipes but their uptime is pretty low in this one as well. Here's our clear log during that same section, where we had our machinist die to the dashes, but you can see how much our red mage contributes to the damage here. If people are using resources for small birds, they should really hold them for big birds as well.

e: I just noticed the red mage died to dashes in this pull and they're meleeing in others ignore that part!

more edit: I really think the reaper should be able to do better dps if you do want to forgo the caster LB. I'd definitely recommend looking at some videos of reapers getting through that part to see what resources they're spending, since I assume most people clearing this fight do want to pool for the reopener. I can't really offer much more advice though since like I said, I have no clue how to play the class yet lol

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 15, 2022

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey Mac users, I know there's a few of you out there. Just wanted to let you all know about this project https://www.xivmac.com. It's basically XIVLauncher for Mac OS. Plus some goodies. It allows you to either create a new install completely (re-download) or clone your existing install, but either way it uses the current SQE CrossOver (Codeweaver) 18 client from SQE (these guys had a previous project using the newest CrossOver 21 build) but adds some optimized 3D support in the DXVK libraries used. Theoretically this should give better performance and quality. I haven't found it does much on my setup (late 2019 16" i9/5500M) - HOWEVER in addition to the performance benefits it also enables XIV Launcher on Mac OS. That means all the Dalamud plug-ins, ACT support, and although there's no GShade, there is a custom working build of Reshader.

So, if you want plugins, theoretical quality & performance improvements, and ACT parsing & Overlays I can say it works. No negative impacts I can see so far and it leaves your original FFXIV install alone so you can easily compare or uninstall without impacting your current client.

Since I'm not Savage playing or anything yet, I mostly wanted a reliable fps counter and the ability to parse my own contribution to learn. Also, performance gains are apparently more pronounced on M1 machines, I dunno about that, YMMV.

E; it’s in alpha and updated a lot tho, so no idea what the janitor commitment is I guess I’ll find out

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 15, 2022

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Does your group have pentamelded crafted gear? My static killed it for the first time today and I have to make everyone slow down DPS on the adds or they die so fast potions aren't up for the post-adds reopener. On our clear today I (one of the dps) died to the charging birds and got ressed and we still killed the adds before they exploded.

We don't pull them center for aoe, but Im pretty sure there's no "all 4 together makes you do less damage" thing so that shouldn't be causing your issue.

edit: Some log diving on a random one of your wipes reveals this (the comparison is to my group's clear):

You're doing way less damage from 3:30 to 3:50, which is during the tethers, people really need to keep the damage up there. The fact that you almost made the enrage check while doing like half the dps during tethers is pretty impressive.

aers fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 15, 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If I’m at the MSQ quest called Endwalker how long should I set aside? I wanna do all the gameplay and story stuff in a row from here to the end in a sitting if possible

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If I’m at the MSQ quest called Endwalker how long should I set aside? I wanna do all the gameplay and story stuff in a row from here to the end in a sitting if possible

Couple of hours more or less?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

No Dignity posted:

Couple of hours more or less?

I’m so curious to see how this ends but I also don’t want it to end

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think it took me about 2.5 hours from accepting the quest to getting control back on my character after completing it (this was with healer queue times, ymmv)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Three hours ish, no less than that (in case of wipes). You've got cutscene hell + a bunch of gameplay stuff, and you're going to want to do it all in one sitting.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think it took me about 2.5 hours from accepting the quest to getting control back on my character after completing it (this was with healer queue times, ymmv)

I might actually just do with NPCs first time through, feels more “canon” when they have the dialogue during the run (but also when you die during a run it is an immediate party wipe which kinda sucks)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

RME posted:

yah really stupid decision

my degen strat of hitting my aoe button

That's not the problem (obviously). The problem is the actual bad strats that ignore fight mechanics to make the fight way more complicated just so people can sit and farm adds for parse numbers. Stuff like the EX2 parse strats where you do the actively wrong thing just to get a small percentage boost (if that).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The lentil soup recipe in the cookbook is good. Definitely take the books advice about garnishing it with croutons though. Saltines are fine too.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I might actually just do with NPCs first time through, feels more “canon” when they have the dialogue during the run (but also when you die during a run it is an immediate party wipe which kinda sucks)

Final quest structure spoilers There's a dungeon and a trial. You can do the dungeon with a trust but the trial only with real players

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

interesting, thank you. i was unsure how to get fflogs to actually snow me damage going out during that phase since it wants to delete it instead lol. i’ll pass this along to my lead and we’ll do some digging

yeahhhh reaper is a total blind spot to me right now too, so it’s hard for me to judge if they’re doing things “right” sometimes. i’ll see if i can’t find what reapers should be doing here and pass that along too, ty

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/sp3ktr4/status/1482221953318469633?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SUCH DEVASTATION
THIS WAS NOT MY INTENTION