Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KoldPT posted:

how has everyone been using WCBs? i'm giving this a shot because i'm bored of gegenpressing

You've got 4 players sitting in the same space behind Haaland, who as a CF will do random nonsense and may drop in as well.

Sweeper keeper with a sweeper in front of him is an unorthodox combination. There's a gap in front of your back three with no one closing down.

I haven't enjoyed a back 5 this year. When teams attack they are much better at using that space in behind wingbacks than before. Found myself reverting to two banks of 4 whenever I'd go ahead, because here comes a winger/wide striker and overlapping fullback combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
yeah so far it's very powerful on the offense but if teams have someone who is a serious attacking threat (like Werner) they seem to be exploiting errors very easily.

i'm still loving around with roles and instructions though

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Eric the Mauve posted:

Arsenal got a Tycoon in the mid-2020s but still have yet to win jack poo poo, they finish 3rd-5th every year.
The realism in this game! :prepop:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

KoldPT posted:

yeah so far it's very powerful on the offense but if teams have someone who is a serious attacking threat (like Werner) they seem to be exploiting errors very easily.

i'm still loving around with roles and instructions though

yeah this sucks i'm quitting and starting a new save (schalke)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I only have '21, not '22, but how's Belgium in this game? I don't have a specific time in mind - maybe Anderlecht?

That or Switzerland

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Belgium is awesome. Stretch yourself a little and try someone outside the big four. Why not try one of the Antwerp clubs?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

Belgium is awesome. Stretch yourself a little and try someone outside the big four. Why not try one of the Antwerp clubs?

I was actually starting to think more of Liège because I don't speak Dutch. :D

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Got ‘22 with Game Pass, it’s my first FM since they added Mentoring. I have a Driven 18-year-old prospect at my LLM club whose CA is shooting up like crazy. I want to have my Resolute captain mentor him. If I pair him up with someone who’s Resolute, will his Determination drop? I’m pretty sure Resolute is lower than Driven but I’ve really never understood personalities beyond watching out for assholes.

I’m Gateshead as always. Journalists keep asking me if I think I can win the FA Cup and I wish there were a “flip double bird” button in the press conferences.

I did have a fun 1st round match between me and Wrexham featuring the dreaded mind games where the other manager called my club poo poo so I responded in kind - we pulled out a 3-1 victory that ended with Wrexham down to NINE men by the end (a defender got a straight red for violent conduct and someone else got a second yellow at 89’) and me gloating after the match.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 15, 2022

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Got ‘22 with Game Pass, it’s my first FM since they added Mentoring. I have a Driven 18-year-old prospect at my LLM club whose CA is shooting up like crazy. I want to have my Resolute captain mentor him. If I pair him up with someone who’s Resolute, will his Determination drop? I’m pretty sure Resolute is lower than Driven but I’ve really never understood personalities beyond watching out for assholes.

I’m Gateshead as always. Journalists keep asking me if I think I can win the FA Cup and I wish there were a “flip double bird” button in the press conferences.

I did have a fun 1st round match between me and Wrexham featuring the dreaded mind games where the other manager called my club poo poo so I responded in kind - we pulled out a 3-1 victory that ended with Wrexham down to NINE men by the end (a defender got a straight red for violent conduct and someone else got a second yellow at 89’) and me gloating after the match.

Determination isn't a hidden attribute. Is the mentor's determination better or worse?

The personalities themselves don't direct affect mentoring. The (usually hidden) mental stats do. The personalities just give you a hint as to what those hidden stats are!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

lol Zealand called out SI about lying about the dynamic youth ratings and now SI is pissed off they're getting called out for their overpromising on features.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaklUnCR60M

Drama! In Football Manager!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Masonity posted:

Determination isn't a hidden attribute. Is the mentor's determination better or worse?

The personalities themselves don't direct affect mentoring. The (usually hidden) mental stats do. The personalities just give you a hint as to what those hidden stats are!

Professionalism and Consistency are really the only hidden stats that matter. Like Pressure and ImpMat matter but if if Professionalism and Consistency are high then they usually are at least adequate as well. Ambition matters but in my experience as long as it's high enough not to trigger a "lacks ambition" scouting note it's fine. Too high ambition will make your player develop better but by the time he's ready to star for you he's demanding a transfer, unless you're already a megaclub.

Professionalism almost always tracks with Determination, like within 3 points of each other. This appears to me roughly true even with most newgens. Consistency is pretty easy to at least roughly tease out from scouting/coach reports (if it's 15+ then he'll get a "Consistent Performer" note, if it's 6- he'll get a "Needs to be more consistent" note, if neither note is there then it's in the 7-14 range).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

Professionalism almost always tracks with Determination, like within 3 points of each other. This appears to me roughly true even with most newgens.

There's no guideline saying that real players have to be set that way, but I could understand if there was a tendency/bias that makes it often the case.

No idea how it's set for newgens or blank attributes though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Slotducks posted:

lol Zealand called out SI about lying about the dynamic youth ratings and now SI is pissed off they're getting called out for their overpromising on features.

And this after SI gave him the "alpha" (not really an alpha) early. No gratitude from content creators these days.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Their argument boils down to "Dynamic youth rating works exactly as described! But all the variables used to determine if it should change are static"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm a C programmer in that I got a C in compsci a couple decades ago, but I'm pretty sure if it doesn't change it's called a constant

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Dying laughing at the notion of a team winning the champions league a bunch from a non-interested country wouldn't get more invested in football to keep that sweet sweet tourism goin'

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Masonity posted:

Doh, yeah. The 18-year-old has 18 Determination, the mentor has 15. Yeah, I want to improve his Consistency which is "needs improvement" which I think is 7-9.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Today's reminder that Youth Rating Has Always Been Dumb and Redundant:

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean, I get what they're trying to do - model factors external to the clubs that affect how good players from each nation are (and make more variation between club youth setups in different countries than a 1-20 scale, or four 1-20 scales, can provide, and bias the simulation towards more "realistic" outcomes even in the face of optimistic researchers overrating their clubs' youth setups).

But there are a ton of other ratings for nations that cover all the non-club factors that actually lead to this (importance of the sport, economic power, population, probably even more) so I don't even think the youth rating score should exist at all: regen quality should just be influenced by the stuff they were already measuring (and make THEM dynamic too, just for funsies).

Just make Game Importance dynamic if you don't want to code a global macroeconomics simulator to run in the background of your global football simulator, it's the one that would actually be influenced by on-field successes anyway.

That said, I think the bigger problem here is that what they're trying to model with dynamic youth ratings would only be realistic on time frames way longer than most people actually play. I didn't watch the video but I saw one of the reddit comments saying "are they expecting us to play until 2100 to see any real impact?" and...well, yes? Like this is generational poo poo and most people don't play a save longer than 5-10 seasons, what are we expecting?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't know what that Reddit comment would be referring to, time has minimal impact on their dynamic system. It's based on three things

1. Development of the nation (developed, developing, third world). Static.
2. Importance of football in the nation. Static.
3. National adhoc investments in football (i.e. building parks where kids could play, etc). Dynamic.

#3 is changed by

1. Team investments in youth systems. This impacts it negatively, if the teams are investing why should the nation?
2. Number of players in the nation's leagues that were born there. This impacts it negatively, we clearly have enough players already right?

Which means the way to improve your national youth rating is to destroy your youth academies and only play foreign players.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Like this is what I mean:

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/s3ztzy/sis_response_to_zealands_dynamic_youth_rating/hsqu80p/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 posted:

Even though I love, really love Football Manager, I expect my youth rating to increase more than just one point after I've played three quarter, one semi final with a hungarian side and then won a Champions League trophy, along with a World Cup with the national team.

Even after winning 9 Champions League Trophies, the youth rating barely moved (only 6 points) by then it should've increased to 130-140 levels EASILY. How else do you expect me to do a nation builder, do I need to play until 2100 to get a good enough youth rating to have a 0.1% chance to get a good intake, then another 0.1% chance to get an actual high potential player from it?

For context, Hungary's rating starts at 68 (on par with Honduras) so the expectation is for that victory record to boost them to England/Argentina levels. I really don't think this expectation is reasonable in that time frame BUT the system as you describe it is also a problem: it makes a certain sense realism-wise but as gameplay it can only be influenced in really counterintuitive ways, as we are learning!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

As you say, the whole exercise is pointless because only sick degenerates like me play 50+ years long saves. In any case, save bloat/slowdown makes playing past about 20-25 years painfully slow, and once you get past about 50 years you get increasingly regular crashes. But even if that weren't true, people like me are like 0.001% of the player base. Why SI chose to even lean into the Long Save thing to begin with is something of a mystery. A "Long Save" for most players is like 15 years.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Slotducks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaklUnCR60M

Seems like this would be really easy to counter.

SI: See? Here's a save where... Greece makes the final 8 in the World Cup, and their NYR goes up for about half a decade.

Instead, they release a statement against a guy who has thousands of hours playing their game... essentially testing and promoting it for free. And Zealand's argument is essentially provable and ironclad, with on-screen support.

Just admit you goofed.

Or things didn't work as intended.

I'd even take: "Are you really going to play 100 years as St. Kitts and Nevis, to test this?"

OR they could even loving lie, but in a harder to prove way.

"Oh, it's in there, but the odds of seeing it occur are about the same as having your kid play for you. Hidden attributes. Not even shown in the editor. Sorry."

OR lie again, in a creative way.

"It's in there, but it's a random event."

Maybe I am one of the only weirdo who wants soccer powerhouse Canada to win everything, ever. Just so weird to advertise something so weird, and so niche and not even deliver.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Slotducks posted:

Miles has always been a giant pissbaby, but he's dialled it back in recent years (I think he's just stopped replying to stuff as much as he used to).
That this might have rubbed off on some of his colleagues is inevitable.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I think that the idea of a nation's overall 'football quotient' going up very slowly over decades is a great idea in theory, but everything I have heard is that long saves inevitably become extremely slow then extremely unstable which would make such a system rather pointless even for the apparently small minority of people who want to play decades-long campaigns.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Like it's a game just speed it up for the 3 people that play past 15 years.

It's not absurd that a nation like Hungary winning the world cup and a Hungarian team suddenly being a 3 or 4 year consistent CL powerhouse wouldn't cause a huge boost in younger players, even over say a 5 year timeframe.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

It always sounded like an overpromise to me. I don't even trust the game to make enough regens for the African countries after the first year or two. Big underachievers like Mexico/Russia/Turkey always seemed to be handled pretty well - great national youth rating, poor club facilities. Do the Racism Ratings for like regens' professionalism and temperament still exist under the hood?

So we know national youth rating doesn't go up too fast, but how fast does it go down? Can I destroy England?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Lowtax posted:

It always sounded like an overpromise to me. I don't even trust the game to make enough regens for the African countries after the first year or two. Big underachievers like Mexico/Russia/Turkey always seemed to be handled pretty well - great national youth rating, poor club facilities. Do the Racism Ratings for like regens' professionalism and temperament still exist under the hood?

So we know national youth rating doesn't go up too fast, but how fast does it go down? Can I destroy England?

Was it "overpromised"? All I remember is Miles making a single tweet about it in his usual list of things that could barely be considered new features. If Hungary's youth rating can go up 1 point in a decade that's about as impressive as most of the stuff he mentions.

You can't destroy England because it has so many professional teams capable of developing players. Sheer quantity compensates for randomness and how poor the AI is at development.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Fat Lowtax posted:

Do the Racism Ratings for like regens' professionalism and temperament still exist under the hood?

They were removed in FM20 I think.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I got an actual golden generation last season, 3 players on 2.5/3 star ability with a few others on 4.5 potential.

One of them, an AM/F just got called up for his u18 team.

GERMANY's u18s. :catstare:

Two bad games, then a goal in the third.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 17, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The continuing exploits of Erling Braut Haaland include being rested against Fulham and then scoring four goals in the final 15 minutes after being subbed on when we weren't getting the breakthrough. Currently on 22 goals in 12 games.

The boy is unplayable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Haaland won 8 B'Ors in 9 years in my last FM21 save, and 8 in 10 years in my current one (the other 3 were all Mbappé)

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

And now I've had 3 players get Flu, virus and cold.

Considering this is 2035 I'm a bit frightened by what a Covid variant would look like by now. :ohdear:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Rehab posted:

Deep into my save and have taken a break from club football and am managing Australia at the 2038 World Cup. Seven of my 23-man squad are from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katanning,_Western_Australia, a town of about 3,700 people. There's clearly something in the water there.

Also Harry Kane is managing Brentford in the Premier League and Son Heung-Min is his Assistant Manager, which makes me smile.

Having been to Katanning, it's meth.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

One more really fun thing in FM is when you get promoted and everyone on your entire team wants a new contract, and in many cases that's fine, they do deserve more money and I'm willing to pay it to them, but the hangup is that even the guys who were backups on the League One side now nonnegotiably demand to be promised Important Player time in the Championship, which, no. Then I transfer list them and end up selling them to some other League One side, where they sign for less money than I was prepared to pay them, as a Squad Player. Um. Okay.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All player contract discussions are nonsense. I've been watching secondyellowcard on twitch playing as Treaty United and, with the same team rep, he keeps losing players to other teams in the division. He's offering important player, 1-2k/w, and shamrock rovers signs them for 325/w on fringe contracts. It's happened like 10 different times now, all for that identical 325 contract.

Also I tell my players to shove it when they ask for huge contacts after promotion. I'm paying you 2k because you're worth 2k, just because my wage budget went up doesn't mean you're worth 10k now

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Their financial demands are often reasonable enough, it's the absolute nonnegotiable demand for way more playing time than they deserve (they won't even talk about money unless you agree to it), followed two weeks later by accepting the lesser playing time from a lesser team for less money, that is stupid and bad.

I find I can usually just sell the squad player types and replace them with just as good and sometimes younger players on frees in the summer (if I don't already have a prospect ready to step into the squad in their place). But the way they refuse to sign a Squad Player contract with a Championship team whose manager is in their favored personnel for £1.5K/week, demand a transfer, then sign a Squad Player contract with a League One team for £1.1K/week is just dumb as hell.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 20, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When these players move can you see their future promises with their new club? A lot of players now have fringe/squad this season, regular starter next season etc. in their playing time pathway. If a player has been with you for a while sometimes they won't settle for "oh yeah, next season for sure lol" but will accept that at a new club. Promotions are obviously an unsettling time for squad players at any club. Higher standard and less chance to get a career moving forward. Players drop back a level all the time irl.

There is definitely some leniency with ai club contracts/signings, but there needs to be because the ai is dumb and the game world would fall apart if players drew an equally hard line with them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ung-talent.html

Wonder if this will help with psg ruining wonderkids constantly

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Azhais posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ung-talent.html

Wonder if this will help with psg ruining wonderkids constantly
i definitely don’t expect this to be worked around instantly with like deferred transfers or transfers with buyback clauses or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

My Class of '35 is developing nicely, which is good because the next year's intake was awful. I'm only signing a high-potential keeper out of them.

EDIT: Ugh, we had a real shot at a playoff spot but tanked hard in the run-in. Oh well, good experience for the kids.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 22, 2022