Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

WhatEvil posted:

I don't have money on it, but if I did it would be on Sunak.

That said I think Gove is/was Murdoch's choice so maybe smart money's on him?

Sunak is going to get caught up in the party stuff, imo, once the narrative turns to "the photo was taken from Sunak's office, so why didn't he mention this earlier; careerist!". And rumour has it Murdoch is sounding out Starmer as a runner. But we'll see...

Tbh I think Gove is done. His time has come and gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Truss has that Andrea Leadsom air of oblivious stupidity about her, so even though she's already openly positioning herself for a run I'd guess she'll be outmanoeuvred by someone smarter (ie, anyone with a higher IQ than a cardboard box).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1481990851572154369

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1482162315499909124

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 15, 2022

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

It's notable how quiet Gove (and Sunak to be fair) have been over the last few weeks. Truss has been all over the place on TV and radio batting for him, but all we've heard from Gove is a few snippets here and there.

Suspect both are positioning themselves as opponents to Boris, Truss is positioning herself as the Johnson continuity government.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Prole posted:

Not a million miles away from me. My closest colliery was Cwm

Closed due to Miners' strike, and two years later they tried to use the grounds for dumping chemical waste. That was my first protest, in 1988, aged 2 with my mam and dad.

I've been working in the Cwm mines
All the live-long day

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Prole posted:

I got money on Truss being next Tory leader so let's not slow things down just yet... I need that £150. The only positive outcome would be people realising that the Sensible Centre are useless sack of poo poo and their politics is poison. I'm not holding my breath for that.

Nope. I fear things will need to get much worse before they can get better. It's a sorry state to be in, but as long as we're there to prove our worth when the time comes... We have the answers but the public will need to be ready to finally listen. We got so close in 17. It won't happen over night but I truly believe it will happen. Never through the Labour Party again though. That will never be allowed to happen now.

Cheers. Kind of you. Have a glass of water before you sleep.

The problem with Sensible Centrists is that no matter how obviously poo poo it is, the answer is always to be *more* Sensibly Centrist, that they just aren't Sensible or Centrist enough.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
OK cwmer

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Lungboy posted:

The problem with Sensible Centrists is that no matter how obviously poo poo it is, the answer is always to be *more* Sensibly Centrist, that they just aren't Sensible or Centrist enough.

Sensible Centrism cannot flail, it can only be flailed

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyway, I have just finished We Live, the sequel. It was published in 1939 after the author had died.

The struggles of the miners, the duplicity of the company which owned the mine, the lack of support from the Labour government, general strike, protests, police violence, the Communist Party, etc, the sit-in down in the mine (they still had pit horses back then - the men sit-in in the stables), all the while supported by their wives, Mary (Len's wife) joining the party and becoming a respected figure even earning a place on the council with one elderly lady in her 80s saying she would vote for her having never voted before as it was the only chance she'd ever had to vote for a woman, and ending with Len going off to Spain to the Spanish civil war to fight the fascists. (The author died in Spain Ed: I misread it - speeches in support of the Spanish republicans not necessarily IN Spain Ed2 - it was Cardiff!) of a heart attack after giving 30 speeches in a day).

I cannot recommend these two books too highly.

Read the first one, Cwmardy, here: https://www.library.wales/digital-e...0%2C3732%2C3173

Can't find online reading link for We Live.

Totally recommend this sequel.

Haven't thought about that book for ages, really need to reread it. One of my relatives took part in the miner's strike and later the Tonypandy riots while he worked in the Llwynypia colliery, the same colliery my father would later work in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jakabite posted:

I like this poster. This poster should post more imo. that is my drunk posting review for the evening. tune in next week

You're going to feel like a complete prat when Prole turns out to be someone's re-reg.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jedit posted:

You're going to feel like a complete prat when Prole turns out to be someone's re-reg.

Deep cover pissflaps??

Kull wahad!!!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Jedit posted:

I'm no re-reg. Scout's honour.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Why is "tips to" highlighted?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Why is "tips to" highlighted?

I think to highlight how out of touch it is to offer "tips" for saving saving money and the main one being "don't pay £40k for a live in nanny, instead hire in for £10. Like anyone has a spare £10pa knocking about.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Good morning to the shadowy figures from the Labour thread on theforum365 who are lurking this thread right now. Hope you're having a fun time obsessing over my internet presence.

Love from your favourite crank cultist. X

e: And an extra hello to Prole if you're one of them doing some sort of weird bit to try to coax objectionable statements out of us for your inter-forum drama. That "Israeli spy" edit of yours earlier isn't quite on brand, calm it down maybe?

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 15, 2022

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/1482263701461872645?s=19

Smacking the Prime Minister on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and saying "NO" as he tries to hump my leg while riddled with Covid.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

We are ruled by infants

Every week I speak to hundreds of teenagers who are able to do what our glorious leader is apparently incapable of

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'm amusing myself thinking back to all those cataclysmic warnings about the penalties for GDPR violations and how it turned out that as long as you weren't completely incompetent as an institution then it was just a case of checking a bunch of boxes and if you just did that bare minimum, then even if the worst happened and hackers stole your entire membership database then you probably wouldn't get sued into oblivion.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Starmer's giving a speech to the Fabians today. He's just said

"It's obvious that the health service and the NHS need more money. But that's not all it needs," Starmer says. "The NHS also needs reform so it works in a different way."

Need there be a clearer indicator of the plans of this shithouse?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm not sure that Labour have fully explored the options involved in getting bung money donations from private health companies yet.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

josh04 posted:

I'm amusing myself thinking back to all those cataclysmic warnings about the penalties for GDPR violations and how it turned out that as long as you weren't completely incompetent as an institution then it was just a case of checking a bunch of boxes and if you just did that bare minimum, then even if the worst happened and hackers stole your entire membership database then you probably wouldn't get sued into oblivion.

They say the hack means they don't know current membership numbers, but they need only count the number of direct debits and monthly subs payers. But they say no. So either they've lost their DD database too, or they've realised just how few people are still paying subs compared to the "registered members" that were on their spreadsheet before they lost the data. Either way, they're hosed lol.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
https://twitter.com/Loknayn/status/1481958463358095362?s=19

Regardless of whether we think a fine was or wasn't appropriate in this case (it wasn't) how is it remotely legal for your job to withhold wages to pay a fine given by the police under what I'm assuming are very tenuous legal grounds that almost certainly would be laughed out of the room if it ever went to court?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Would that not have fallen under the 1 hour daily exercise allowance? Or does the fact they were running around a ball make it an illegal sporting activity?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

ThomasPaine posted:

https://twitter.com/Loknayn/status/1481958463358095362?s=19

Regardless of whether we think a fine was or wasn't appropriate in this case (it wasn't) how is it remotely legal for your job to withhold wages to pay a fine given by the police under what I'm assuming are very tenuous legal grounds that almost certainly would be laughed out of the room if it ever went to court?

Unless the gov claimed it as a "deduction" under PAYE. I know people who have had court fines and utility debts "deducted" from their wages pre-tax.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

as if I just cut my thumb on the foil of a tray of paracetamol lol

how is that even possible

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

At least it was metal, I once managed to cut myself on a loaf of crusty bread.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

Good morning to the shadowy figures from the Labour thread on theforum365 who are lurking this thread right now. Hope you're having a fun time obsessing over my internet presence.

e: And an extra hello to Prole if you're one of them doing some sort of weird bit to try to coax objectionable statements out of us for your inter-forum drama. That "Israeli spy" edit of yours earlier isn't quite on brand, calm it down maybe?

I'm sorry, please elaborate. It's a Saturday & there's no (Scottish Premiership) football on so I need to fill the hole with drama.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Lol if the UKMT gets a melt invasion. Beware posters with links to Guardian sharticles.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

sebzilla posted:

Wow... I promise I'm not here to gently caress with anyone. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my twitter details. As for the Israeli Spy comment, Starmer literally has an ex-Israeli spy working for him, checking social media accounts. It was a (poor?) try at humour. As for objectionable statements: I haven't been here long but everyone seems absolutely on the level to me. Nothing objectionable here.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I'm sorry, please elaborate. It's a Saturday & there's no (Scottish Premiership) football on so I need to fill the hole with drama.

This is a fun place to start, I suppose. Enjoy a thread full of terminal centrist Labour brain where anyone left of Brown is prima facie an antisemite.

https://www.theforum365.com/topic/250-official-labour-party-thread-not-as-deranged-as-we-used-to-be/?do=findComment&comment=3934969

Everyone else, do your best to not touch the poop. It can be intoxicating.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Prole posted:

I haven't been here long but everyone seems absolutely on the level to me.

Statistically, since we are a lefty group, a good chunk of us must be MI5 plants. My money is on Camrath with his fudge-making scheme to get our names and addresses.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Centrists vs UKMT.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

biglads posted:

Lol if the UKMT gets a melt invasion. Beware posters with links to Guardian sharticles.

The UKMT used to be all melts then they closed LF and the melts got ran out

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

Statistically, since we are a lefty group, a good chunk of us must be MI5 plants. My money is on Camrath with his fudge-making scheme to get our names and addresses.

I've always assumed that about 80% of us are plants. Fully expect to discover I've been working for GCHQ all along without realising it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

The UKMT used to be all melts then they closed LF and the melts got ran out

It's calmed down since then, there's much less Mao-posting these days.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

sebzilla posted:

I blame Corbyn.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

sebzilla posted:

I feel like the decline of mao posting has coincided with a decline in crisp posting

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

sebzilla posted:

This is a fun place to start, I suppose. Enjoy a thread full of terminal centrist Labour brain where anyone left of Brown is prima facie an antisemite.

https://www.theforum365.com/topic/250-official-labour-party-thread-not-as-deranged-as-we-used-to-be/?do=findComment&comment=3934969

Everyone else, do your best to not touch the poop. It can be intoxicating.

They know already :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I'm unable to take GCHQ money anyway, it's written into my contract with Soros 😉

Sebzilla I PM'd you