Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

BaronVanAwesome posted:

What's wrong with normal gulate eyes

They're really guey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Data Graham posted:

Of course this is pretty much exactly how carburetors worked

https://i.imgur.com/pb1k3J2.mp4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Scaramouche posted:

In the Philippines if you take a cab any distance there's good odds your driver will stop to get gas, with the car still on, talking on his cellphone, smoking a cigarette. It's a wonder the whole country hasn't exploded.

This tracks with what I have been taught

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Replace lamp with 'tape dispenser' and you have the bane of my own existence.

The weights inside the bases of these thing is that same dirt quality concrete and if you ever bump them wrong they shatter. Sometimes it all falls out at once, other times you end up with random bits of grey dirt over your desk for weeks with no idea where it's coming from.

You gotta buy tape dispensers at the thrift store from back when they were made with REAL concrete.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I found this on Facebook and I knew I wanted to share with you all God bless

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I want that to mean “Wales’ largest (physically) newspaper which is currently selling”

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

Lemme ask you this, do petrol stations in the UK have warning signs saying not to use a mobile phone near the pumps because the whole block might explode?

Wasn't this largely to do with the really early cell phones 20-30 years ago with the big external antennas or something? (This is just something very old and half-remembered)

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Well phones burst into flames all the time now, so I’d say that’s one of those rules that was put in place just because there was a super small chance but tech had evolved to make it an even better rule.

loving around with anything electrical around gasoline is usually a dumb idea at best, in general.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't this largely to do with the really early cell phones 20-30 years ago with the big external antennas or something? (This is just something very old and half-remembered)

IIRC there was this hyper-specific 1 in a billion incident where someone had a brick phone and when they like pressed send or whatever a fire started.

And there's absolutely no way to know if the phone or just static on the person caused the spark, but the person said exactly what they recalled happening (press send boom) and EVERYONE took it as gospel.

Years later mythbusters did an episode on it and to no one's surprise you absolutely can't start a fire with a cellphone unless you set the phone on fire and throw it at a perfect fuel/air ratio gas spill

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

there is right now a phone in my anus

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

im pooping! posted:

yeah... thanks for the vaccines, bill gates

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

How many Wales are there exactly?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

im pooping! posted:

poo poo posting doesn't work like that

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Data Graham posted:

I want that to mean “Wales’ largest (physically) newspaper which is currently selling”

Yeah I imagine there are many even larger newspapers, but they aren't for sale.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

poo poo posting doesn't work like that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's even older than that, it dates back to two-way radios in police cars and taxis - they were actually an ignition risk due to induced EMF in the pump, and also static charge buildup on the car's skin, which could cause a spark - there were massive "ALL RADIOS MUST BE SWITCHED OFF" signs at petrol stations years before the first mobile phones.

There was also a rumour that early electronic-metered pumps could over-read or even shut down due to EMF from early digital mobiles (anyone who remembers the beat frequency they would cause to blast out of every speaker in their vicinity knew just how much they hosed with improperly isolated kit, they leaked enough juice that you could actually get little toys powered by it that would flash/spin when you had a call going on).

The actual ignition risk from a modern mobile phone is absolutely tiny but I'd rather people were paying attention to the large amounts of flammable liquid they're moving about than on Facebook.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

*dives in nose first to snoof the poof choof*

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They don’t allow anything not intrinsically safe on deck on tankers when low FP 3s cargo for a reason.

That reason is poo poo blew up a on ship.

Modern Hazardous materials regulations are rooted in SOLAS and vessel haz regulations. That’s where separating low FP class threes from sources of ignition actually comes from. All the car and gas station discussion as origin is red herring.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/rsslldnphy/status/1482009337207967750

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Toilets with intimidating auras.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zil posted:

Toilets with intimidating auras.

https://twitter.com/darksoulstoilet/status/1479927659375345665?t=YMWNiP0i_Zsyl0iVX9SsGA&s=19

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I will conquer the Long John

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Is that the original of that? I've never seen it!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DicktheCat posted:

Is that the original of that? I've never seen it!

You've overdosed on the powder that makes you forget the original image from the meme.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm Meat Meat

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sausage Sausage

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zil posted:

Sausage Sausage

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Baby Toy?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Woody Shaft.

Not at the moment, mind you. I'm not all that aroused by my own poo poo posting.

And how dare they not have Moon Moon?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I feel sorry for anybody who got Shrimp Maker

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Womb 3rd Leg...?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Someone really hates dudes with P names

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Pnurtis Purpureus

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm going to have to change my IRL name so I can be Long Shlong. Just has a ring to it, you know.

Also, a thousand curses on Pigsfeet on Rye for damning us all to this hell.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Baby Destroyer.

Did I just get put on a list somewhere :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Heath posted:

I was at a gas station in the US once and the guy at the stall next to me had a smoldering cigarette balanced between his rearview mirror and the car body. Like, why

I stopped filling and got the gently caress out of there. To my knowledge it didn't explode but I wasn't about to chance it

smoldering tobacco doesn't burn hot enough to ignite gasoline. you can drop a lit cigarette in a puddle of gas and the liquid will smother it before it catches fire

however, a cigarette lighter is definitely hot enough to ignite gas fumes, which i would imagine is what happens in most cases