Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

kazil posted:

I haven't read the comics, were the Skrulls able to duplicate the superhero abilities as well?

Some can, some can't. I'm not sure why though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There was one named Superskrull who could channel the abilities of the whole Fan-4 team at once, and while the comics themselves werent that cool, they were probably the best fights the fantastic 4 ever got into.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They had a whole planet where they developed superhero spies with appropriate powers. The X-Men went there and Wolverine got replaced so Apocalypse could make the real one into Death

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm going to call the skrulls to replace bust Rodd with a better poster

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

They had a whole planet where they developed superhero spies with appropriate powers. The X-Men went there and Wolverine got replaced so Apocalypse could make the real one into Death

whoa! Do we ever get to see a crazy 'pocalypsed out Wolverine? I never followed this storyline because I hate clones (Spider-Man PTSD)

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Azhais posted:

Watching eternals now and Harish Patel is the true star of this film

Karun was the best thing about Eternals. I want him to fight vampires with Blade now since he seemed to have experience with it in his younger days.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

pile of brown posted:

It's definitely already at least Nicholas fury from movie hints

Like the Skrulls replaced him with a Skrull and he would go on to replace himself with another Skrull?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
new Moon Knight footage, full trailer Monday

https://twitter.com/hulu/status/1482367067575795722

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sounds like the late March rumors are right.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Sounds like the late March rumors are right.

could be as early as next month if it's following the Boba Fett finale, but the rumored March 30 date wouldn't surprise me either

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Do we even have any more info about Moon Knight than Oscar Isaac's in it? I have zero familiarity with the character beyond the base concept so I don't know what kind of stories/villains they'd be looking at.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rarity posted:

Do we even have any more info about Moon Knight than Oscar Isaac's in it? I have zero familiarity with the character beyond the base concept so I don't know what kind of stories/villains they'd be looking at.

they haven't officially announced who anyone besides Isaac is playing, no

re: the footage, I gotta say I don't really love the idea of Moon Knight having a supernatural CG costume transformation instead of just putting the thing on, though it's possible that that's just a nightmare sequence or something. though given that this is a Marvel Studios Disney+ show and not a Marvel Netflix series, I'm not shocked that they might be leaning harder into the supernatural aspects of the character

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 15, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dracula owes him money.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Rarity posted:

Ethan Hawke's playing the villain and compared his character to David Koresh.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

AgentHaiTo posted:

Karun was the best thing about Eternals. I want him to fight vampires with Blade now since he seemed to have experience with it in his younger days.

He was universally liked by everyone and really one of the best characters on Eternals by a large margin. I really wish he was the human point of view character instead of Jon Snow because goddamn Dane brought nothing to the movie in every way.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Thundercracker posted:

He was universally liked by everyone and really one of the best characters on Eternals by a large margin. I really wish he was the human point of view character instead of Jon Snow because goddamn Dane brought nothing to the movie in every way.

What are you talking about? He was the human viewpoint character. Kit H appeared at the start and Skyped with Gemma Chan a little. Karun was in much more of the movie clearly showing the "regular person" reaction.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

It's a show so it won't be anyone too big.

I don't think it matters, and if Scarlet Witch or Hawkeye turned out to be Skrulls then I think it'd undermine just as much as if Doctor Strange or Shang Chi were Skrulls. The only two characters who've gotten focus and development in either medium I think it might not undermine to do that is Steve and Tony; if only because they patently did lay down their lives regardless, so they obviously viewed their humanity as more important than their original mission. And (a) that's only a might, since it'd still depend on how it was done, and (b) they're absolutely not going to make either of them Skrulls.

A show lead might actually be worse, since with the relative amount of screentime, the lead sin a show probably has more focus and development than most movie characters. The only people I can really see it working with that are plausible are secondary characters like Maria Hill, Sharon Carter etc. Characters who have very little going for them at the moment, so the revelation wouldn't undercut anything.

pile of brown posted:

It's definitely already at least Nicholas fury from movie hints

Sure, but at the same time that was clearly revealed several years in advance, and is being done with the original character's consent. Which changes things a little bit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Secret Invasion is an odd choice to make into a TV show. That story would benefit more from a movie budget/cast.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Secret Invasion is an odd choice to make into a TV show. That story would benefit more from a movie budget/cast.

The MCU shows don't really skimp out on the budget.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

The MCU shows don't really skimp out on the budget.

afaik, the Marvel Studios Disney+ series are expensive by TV standards but still a decent bit cheaper, especially relative to total runtime, than the feature films.

but with Secret Invasion in particular, the most interesting aspect of the storyline was the “who can you trust” buildup, not the more conventional heroes vs. aliens battle it turned into, and the former part is better suited to TV as a medium anyway

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The D+ MCU shows have like Ant-Man budget, which is decent. It’s no Captain America budget, but it gives them the ability to flex their might much more than most every other tv superhero show. Closest thing was probably the HBO Watchmen series as far as casting and effects go.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

afaik, the Marvel Studios Disney+ series are expensive by TV standards but still a decent bit cheaper, especially relative to total runtime, than the feature films.

but with Secret Invasion in particular, the most interesting aspect of the storyline was the “who can you trust” buildup, not the more conventional heroes vs. aliens battle it turned into, and the former part is better suited to TV as a medium anyway

It's going to be like Civil War where they take the name and broad strokes and do something different.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Secret Invasion is going to be about humans disguising themselves as Skrulls.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

I realize this is not the vibe they're going for with this series, but I'm still a little disappointed that the announcement didn't say "Tune in MOONDAY".

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
What's a Super Wildcard Game? A game to see who gets a wildcard slot for the playoffs?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Thundercracker posted:

What's a Super Wildcard Game? A game to see who gets a wildcard slot for the playoffs?

This is the first year they have had expanded playoffs since the introduction of the Wild Card, so now there are 3 wild cards instead of two. Its just another game they couldn't think of a better name for.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

swickles posted:

This is the first year they have had expanded playoffs since the introduction of the Wild Card, so now there are 3 wild cards instead of two. Its just another game they couldn't think of a better name for.

With the 2 extra teams in the playoffs, there are now 5 games this weekend instead of the traditional 4. The 5th is on Monday which is unusual so I guess that makes it Super.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love that this thread derailed into football and I fully support it. :allears:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Anita Dickinme posted:

I love that this thread derailed into football and I fully support it. :allears:

Need a D+ show about an amoral coach using Super Soldier Serum to win the big game and the scrappy underdog team playing against them using a hodgepodge of salvaged Chitauri and Stark tech

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

kazil posted:

Need a D+ show about an amoral coach using Super Soldier Serum to win the big game and the scrappy underdog team playing against them using a hodgepodge of salvaged Chitauri and Stark tech

Have I got the Marvel comic for you :v:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

kazil posted:

Basically a seperate timeline where Luke Cage tries out for the Jets and they let him play and still go 3-13 every year, although with the new 17 game season I will entertain them going 4-13.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wanna see the alternate universe where Clint plays basketball and never misses a shot from anywhere on the court.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Codependent Poster posted:

Wanna see the alternate universe where Clint plays basketball and never misses a shot from anywhere on the court.

That reminds me of a book which I never read which apparently had Richard Nixon as a field-goal kicker who never missed a goal because of some magic football powers or something.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Everyone posted:

That reminds me of a book which I never read which apparently had Richard Nixon as a field-goal kicker who never missed a goal because of some magic football powers or something.

His superhero name would be Dick Kicker.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I watched Eternals
What a loving mess, Jesus
Worst MCU film by a country mile

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah it's aiight.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

Nah it's aiight.

Yeah it’s not as bad as the internets said but a goon, Rarity maybe, mentioned the Eternals were messy bitches and they really are. I actually liked the pace and the tone of some of the film. Parts of it are a very non MCU feeling film and I liked that but the whole was a bizarre hodgepodge of a ton of ideas that just didn’t mesh well. Good idea and poor execution maybe? Glad I finally saw it but what the heck do I know as I saw Thor: The Dark World and didn’t consider it a war crime. Definitely thought making Sprite mortal was a bit silly. I thought she just wanted to be older so maybe just age her to an adult before making her “human.” If this was a mini series they could have had some time where she realised that looking bigger wasn’t the issue but the problem was eternal life in stasis as opposed to just being a kid. Would have had far more weight too. My main view was still would have been a really cool high budget/concept Disney series. Hopefully this reaction doesn’t spook investors and they decide people don’t want weirder space adventures as I want more Cosmic fun. Give me more Celestials and, most importantly, best boy Cosmo the mighty psychic Soviet Space Puppers.

Also as pretty as the scene was I giggled at homeboy flying into the sun.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 18, 2022

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

DogsInSpace! posted:

Definitely thought making Sprite mortal was a bit silly. I thought she just wanted to be older so maybe just age her to an adult before making her “human.” If this was a mini series they could have had some time where she realised that looking bigger wasn’t the issue but the problem was eternal life in stasis as opposed to just being a kid. Would have had far more weight too.

I don't know anything about comic spoilers, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I thought they made her mortal to make it easier to write her off or replace her with another actress later on, considering they can't keep a kid looking like a kid forever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess we have confirmation that Moon Knight premieres March 30th.

Trailer is going live at halftime of this NFL playoff game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1483273010563874818?s=20