Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speed is an illusion. You’ll never be faster than a maglev train so don’t even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Resident traffic engineer here to remind everyone to please respect speed laws. Going fast only ever saves you minutes at best. You’ll get where you need to be, promise. No need to rush it. There’s too many idiots on the roads and going fast impacts your reaction time / braking distances.

The day robots are doing all the driving and I don't have to do 75+ in a 55 just to not get murdered in traffic will be a truly good day. I kind of dread every time I have to drive outside of my rural community because on any bigger road the overwhelming majority of the people driving have completely lost their minds and drive like total lunatics. I've been in heavy traffic where basically everyone was boxed in on all sides and the whole flow was approaching 25 MPH over the limit, figure out some way to stop that and I'll gladly respect the posted limit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Resident traffic engineer here to remind everyone to please respect speed laws. Going fast only ever saves you minutes at best. You’ll get where you need to be, promise. No need to rush it. There’s too many idiots on the roads and going fast impacts your reaction time / braking distances.

checkmate: we don’t speed to get to our destinations faster, we speed because it’s fun

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

False, the cannonball record is half a day faster than the law abiding trip.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

maybe for u but im built different

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That is why I need to be in front of them so when they crash I am not delayed

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Elephanthead posted:

That is why I need to be in front of them so when they crash I am not delayed

yeah also this. Me speeding = me speeding away from 99% of other drivers

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The way I drive daily, there's no point to speeding. I just set my cruise control to the speed limit. I always catch back up at the next red light, even to red light runners sometimes. It's hilarious. That being said, please hurry up and accelerate at the green light and don't drive side by side with another car, not letting anyone pass.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Charles posted:

The way I drive daily, there's no point to speeding. I just set my cruise control to the speed limit. I always catch back up at the next red light, even to red light runners sometimes. It's hilarious. That being said, please hurry up and accelerate at the green light and don't drive side by side with another car, not letting anyone pass.

There’s two portions of road on my commute that have light timings that work at ten-over, but not at the speed limit. Florida continues to be loving horrible.

I’d gladly trade my ability to speed for a magic wand to make people pay attention to what they’re doing, plan to be in the correct lane, and to GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE PASSING LANE.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Ola posted:

If you get a deal you can live with and you want a guaranteed exit after some years, then yeah it's probably an ok deal. Financially, it's a bet on depreciation. The professionals in the leasing company are making the opposite bet. I'm fairly sure they know what they're doing.

The 2 numbers that matter in a lease are money factor(interest rate) and residual value. Residual values on EVs seem to be ridiculously low, Porsche in particular are one point has the Taycan at 55% of MSRP after 3 years.

IMO the car companies are going to make a fortune soaking people who are EV curious on leases. I might even end up being one of them so I get it.

On the other hand, in 3 years we’re gonna be back to normal supply chain wise so who knows.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

I’d gladly trade my ability to speed for a magic wand to make people pay attention to what they’re doing, plan to be in the correct lane, and to GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE PASSING LANE.

Blocking traffic by slowing the left lane is the most dangerous poo poo you can do on the road* because it lessens everyone's margin for error by cramming more vehicles in a smaller space while also forcing people to make riskier decisions to break up the logjam.

People who do that poo poo should receive harsh punishments. It's not just annoying, it gets a lot of people killed.

*I've seen studies showing it's comparably dangerous to driving impaired or distracted

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 15, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

kronix posted:

Residual values on EVs seem to be ridiculously low, Porsche in particular are one point has the Taycan at 55% of MSRP after 3 years.

When I was originally looking at EVs I was thinking about leasing. The residual value for the Porsche lease was 39% at 3 years :lol: and when I finally got the T&C it specifically excluded the possibility of buying the car at the end of the lease. No thank you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:yeah:

For everyone who insist the speed limits are merely advisory: If you want to race, go to a track. Public roads are for transportation, not competition.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Blocking traffic by slowing the left lane is the most dangerous poo poo you can do on the road* because it lessens everyone's margin for error by cramming more vehicles in a smaller space while also forcing people to make riskier decisions to break up the logjam.

I’ve encountered lovely cops everywhere, but the only time I’ve ever had a cop roll down the window and scream at me was because I wasn’t going fast enough in the passing lane. I was passing, but I was “only” going 75-80 in a 55. A police car flew up behind me (no lights or siren), and when I got out of the way after passing he pulled next to me, yelled for a bit (no idea what he said), and then floored it. There was a line of cars behind him going just as fast.

It was in New Jersey, and I had lived there long enough at that point to be unsurprised.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I guess it had been about 19 pages since the last time we all postured on speed limits.

I drive the speed limit, Happy Noodle Boy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Public roads are for transporting me from 0 to the legal speed limit in 4 seconds or less.

And tbh it's a lot safer going full throttle in an AWD EV than other vehicles. My GT500 is full of sound and fury but the Mach gets to 60 quicker, with no drama, and your danger of the rear end stepping out and murdering an innocent pedestrian is essentially zero.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I drive the speed limit locally.

I drive 900 miles to visit my dad I'm doing 14 over because that shits adds up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like speed but I don’t drive fast or aggressively when around other drivers. People who tailgate or lane change into tiny spaces in front of you are such loving assholes tho.

Also people who pass on the right in an intersection because the person behind you is turning left and then end up almost merging into you on the other side of the intersection, those people also suck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

There’s two portions of road on my commute that have light timings that work at ten-over, but not at the speed limit. Florida continues to be loving horrible.

I've tried to find a magic speed that works with this stroad. There is none. Even late in the evening I'm hitting red lights. :shrug:

bird with big dick posted:

Interstate road trips I just don't want to get a ticket, haha.

I'm contributing to this boring derail, oops

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

priznat posted:

Well that’d be cool if it pans out!

I want kia/hyundai to announce full specs on the ev6 GT and the ioniq version (n?) And when they’ll be expected (16 months from never!!)

If the Mach-e made full power for an entire 1/4 mile (which would mean it'd run high 11s) and if it charged as fast as the Ioniq 5 is supposed to on a 350 kW EA charger, I would pronounce it the greatest car ever made.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I got to drive 5 under the speed limit yesterday because Google Maps decided it would be .005 seconds faster to take an additional 10 miles of highway than over some surface streets (last time I hit "accept" on a route change) I didn't realize I was in trouble until I hit a known landmark 30 miles away at 33% battery, on a lightly degraded 30kWh Leaf battery. Made it with a very foggy windshield and the guesometer and % charge blanked out for the last 3 miles.

It was a 96 mile round trip to begin with.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If the Mach-e made full power for an entire 1/4 mile (which would mean it'd run high 11s) and if it charged as fast as the Ioniq 5 is supposed to on a 350 kW EA charger, I would pronounce it the greatest car ever made.

I’m wondering what new stuff they are putting in the ‘22s, from a pic it looks like they are putting the black “grille” instead of the all body colour on the front of the non GTs.

Basically the only thing that is reducing my interest in the mach e right now is I really don’t like the ford/domestic dealer experience at least in my area.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

God bless the trailblazers road tripping on 30 kWh. It's like modern day Oregon Trail except instead of being killed by dysentery and native Americans you're being killed by HVAC usage and Google Maps reroutes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If the Mach-e made full power for an entire 1/4 mile (which would mean it'd run high 11s)

They seriously haven’t fixed that yet? How is the internet not awash in complaints from eGT owners?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My wife's wanted a truck forever but couldn't justify the cost/mileage. Maybe when those Rivians drop in price and the kids are older . . .

SnatchRabbit posted:

I have a 2020 leaf and
:yikes:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

priznat posted:

I’m wondering what new stuff they are putting in the ‘22s, from a pic it looks like they are putting the black “grille” instead of the all body colour on the front of the non GTs.

those loving assholes. My 2012 GT500 has the good hood and grill which looks 100x better than the GT of the time and then they put the Shelby grill on every Mustang in 2013 and now they're doing it to me again?

The regular mach front end is ugly as poo poo

I'm legit upset.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

those loving assholes. My 2012 GT500 has the good hood and grill which looks 100x better than the GT of the time and then they put the Shelby grill on every Mustang in 2013 and now they're doing it to me again?

The regular mach front end is ugly as poo poo

I'm legit upset.

Yah, the regular one does not look great. At least they should keep a couple colours GT only and have a snazzy badge.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko posted:

They seriously haven’t fixed that yet? How is the internet not awash in complaints from eGT owners?

I'm the #1 complainant on the entire internet, everyone on the mach e forums despises me. And its only partially because of posts that are intentionally trolling.

Pretend I posted that "I'm doing my part" gif from the alien bug movie.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I got to drive 5 under the speed limit yesterday because Google Maps decided it would be .005 seconds faster to take an additional 10 miles of highway than over some surface streets (last time I hit "accept" on a route change) I didn't realize I was in trouble until I hit a known landmark 30 miles away at 33% battery, on a lightly degraded 30kWh Leaf battery. Made it with a very foggy windshield and the guesometer and % charge blanked out for the last 3 miles.

It was a 96 mile round trip to begin with.

You should really consider getting a Bluetooth OBD2 doodad and using the ABRP app. It makes a world of difference in situations like this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko posted:

The thing though is that if they do anything about it, it won't be a fix, it will be an upgrade. It's working as designed. Is it because Ford engineers made a lovely cooling system, or is it because Ford warranty engineers are pussies, is the question.

The RWD mach makes 266 horsepower, and the GT has two of those motors, so it should make 532 hp, but its rated at 480. So right off the bat you know they're limiting it via software or battery controller or battery thermics or whatever.

But its obviously way worse than that. It feels like 300 hp or less from a 60 or 70 roll.

I wouldn't even be mad at them, IF they had disclosed it up front. Disclosing temp peak HP in boost situations is common for both ICE and EVs but Ford didn't say poo poo and that is seriously bullshit.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Same. Only time i legit speed is when we’re cranking out 5 hours into upstate NY on basically empty highways.

Often you can find one or two other cars that are similarly minded and let them run point to find the fallen rocks and poo poo for you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm the #1 complainant on the entire internet, everyone on the mach e forums despises me. And its only partially because of posts that are intentionally trolling.

Pretend I posted that "I'm doing my part" gif from the alien bug movie.

:hmmyes:

Ford’s “the car is performing as expected” line is kindof infuriating too. I’d be loving livid if I bought something with a Mustang nameplate on it and the thing chopped power during a loving 1/4mi drag race. Let alone the king-poo poo GT trim.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

priznat posted:

I like speed but I don’t drive fast or aggressively when around other drivers. People who tailgate or lane change into tiny spaces in front of you are such loving assholes tho.

Also people who pass on the right in an intersection because the person behind you is turning left and then end up almost merging into you on the other side of the intersection, those people also suck.

Yeah driving fast on a sparse freeway is one thing but gently caress aggressive drivers

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko posted:

:hmmyes:

Ford’s “the car is performing as expected” line is kindof infuriating too.

Absolutely.

quote:

I’d be loving livid if I bought something with a Mustang nameplate on it and the thing chopped power during a loving 1/4mi drag race. Let alone the king-poo poo GT trim.

thats kinda the funny (not funny if you own one) part is that the regular version doesn't really chop power during the 1/4. Only the GT. I think it was C&D that tested them and the REGULAR version is actually 2.1s faster to 110 mph than the GT version.

So basically they probably have the same battery and same battery cooling ability but the GT has bigger motors and they've programmed the GT to shoot its entire wad 0-60 and then poo poo its entire pants 60-100.

Its pretty disappointing. And its nearly the only disappointing aspect of what otherwise is a pretty great car imo, which actually makes it more disappointing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah driving fast on a sparse freeway is one thing but gently caress aggressive drivers

There is a highway here that is alongside a mountain and outside of rush hour is fairly clear and it is just awesome for driving pretty fast on with nice swoopy curves and only one spot where you should slow because they set up speed patrols.

I was on it once doing about 30-40% over the limit and I see in my rearview a car coming up and it was a grand touring ferrari of some kind that passed me like I was standing still, respekt.

I sometimes just take the long way if I am out and about to just zoom along it, it’s very relaxing especially on a nice sunny evening.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Charles posted:

The solution that Ford offers is through the charge port with a special bidirectional EVSE that I presume will require a lockout / transfer switch and I *think* it can go up to 80amps but I could be wrong on that. I'm too tired / phone posting to verify :)

But if you already have a 14-30 plug and that fits your needs it should be good.

See video of the Hybrid doing it.

https://youtu.be/fPCi40bSRWc

This is really informative, thank you for sharing it.

I wonder what the state of the neutral wire is on our hookup. There is a separate, 6 breaker panel for switching the critical house services I mentioned before from mains to generator power, after disconnecting from the grid of course.

If the Lightning doesn’t come through this year I’m tempted to look at a hybrid as a stopgap.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

When I was originally looking at EVs I was thinking about leasing. The residual value for the Porsche lease was 39% at 3 years :lol: and when I finally got the T&C it specifically excluded the possibility of buying the car at the end of the lease. No thank you.

That’s absolutely hilarious. I know someone who leased a 911 a few years ago with a residual of 60% and it was 40 something months/10k a year if I remember.

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Ok Comboomer posted:

there’s gonna be a lot of dudes getting into fistfights over trucks over the next 48 months :getin:

I wonder how many of the people in line to buy Lightnings/SilvErados/R1Ts are “truck people” vs buyers brand new to trucks.

I’ve been seeing a lot of puffery (and insecurity) from “truck guys” online that EV trucks might one day prove themselves, but for now all of the people buying them are people who wouldn’t have bought a gas/diesel truck and/or definitely don’t need a truck for real truck poo poo.

There’s a palpable sense of fear in the coal-rolling community that superfast EV trucks signal not only the end of the line for their beloved oil burners, but also the end of the line for the pickup truck as an easy cultural/political signifier. The hogs will no longer be united in their largely-unchallenged status as the King Shits of the road.

People who used to own Priuses and LEAFs, and maybe even some vegetarians and queers, will now be rolling about in tanks heavier, faster, and more ostentatious than theirs.

Most of the truck people saying ev's won't work seem to be relying on stuff like towing a 5th wheel RV. Which probably wouldn't work great with f150 lightning or R1T.

That said they are making a dumb comparison. As most people use larger 250 or 350 series trucks to haul such trailers anyways and the EV comparable trucks do not yet exist.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The speed is whatever, they all feel plenty fast enough to merge with highway traffic, but I’d get the biggest battery version of whatever you’re looking at. We have an extended battery RWD, so the longest range version, and I’d hate to lose ~25% of that range unless I was only using it as an around town car.

I think the Mach-E is a better driving or at least more fun driving car than the ID.4 and there are a few niceties like the usable frunk, plug-and-charge at EA stations and better infotainment interface that i liked better than the Id.4. But I’d be hard pressed to argue that those things are worth the price difference.

But you should get the car you want. My wife preferred the Mach-E and we intend to run this thing into the ground so that’s what we bought.

Following up on this. There's a reddit post from yesterday essentially saying the same thing I am: brain is telling me ID4 and heart is saying Mach-E. My wife liked the ID4 more but she didn't drive it. She thinks I should get the Mach-E.

As someone who hasn't really cared about drivability in the past, will I care in 5 years when the excitement dies down? Probably not, so score one for the ID4.

In 5 years will I care that I spent $10k+ extra on the car over the life of the loan? Hopefully not, so score one for the Mach E.

In 5 years will the lag in the ID4's infotainment screen still bother me? I bet it really will, so I'm pretty close to putting in the Mach E deposit.

edit: also when it comes to financing, I've heard credit unions offer the best rates? I assume no dealer is negotiating on price? I did hear from one that they won't go over MSRP and they'll sign off on that with the pre-order.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

edit: also when it comes to financing, I've heard credit unions offer the best rates? I assume no dealer is negotiating on price? I did hear from one that they won't go over MSRP and they'll sign off on that with the pre-order.

Dealers usually had the best rates in the pre COVID days because below market interest rates are effectively a back door subsidy.

Who knows these days.