Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest I don't buy at all the notion that "echo chambers" are a thing, I don't believe there are actually people who voluntarily hang out with people they don't at least broadly agree with. Who the gently caress wants to spend time with people you just have constant arguments with?

Well, I think they are a thing but that literally every social group ever acts that way. It's just that people who think of themselves as very sensible like to pretend that THEY don't act that way and that they came by all of their political opinions through dispassionate logic, utterly free of the dreaded "ideology" and that their social groups are simply free and tolerant discussions of views. (Provided nobody gets too extreme obviously.)

But echo chamber logic is certainly a thing in every group. The whole unskewing the polls thing got way too much clout here based on people building on each other's points. meanwhile on the crazier sections on the internet you don't get something like Qanon without a lot of different crazy people building on top of each other's crazy without meeting any real challenge.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

This whole "labour lost all their membership data" thing feels like it should be a bigger deal than it is. Am I missing something?

1) why didn't the company storing the data have multiple backups?
2) if above, who the gently caress signed a contract with no backups?
3) what are they going to do in terms of coordinating any sort of membership activity, or tracking payments to ensure members paying dues are legally allowed to (ie people's DD's aren't coming from illegible sources).

Any word on the debate the NEC were having about letting corbyn back in? I suspect if there is a snap GE they'll let him in as their finances and election workforce are going to be hosed. Plus if he's let in in the run up to a GE nobody will have space to debate whether helping labour is good or not (it's bad folks).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Conversely there is very little space for any variant to out-compete Omicron, which is already considerably more contagious than any other respiratory disease, and a huge reason for that efficiency in spread is where it most likes to reproduce, which limits its deadliness.

The more likely bad outcome, especially given the massive worldwide pool it can try out new stuff in, is a variant closer in transmissibility and deadliness to Delta, but completely immune-evading, putting us right back to square 1 (or in fact square zero because a *lot* of vaccines were rolled out before Delta hit, and also people were much more willing to go along with NPIs). This is still relatively unlikely (the immunity evasion bit, anyway - between vaccines and Omicron a massive amount of the population have an immune system that is a lean, mean, coronavirus killing machine) but at the same time just 3 months ago we were all starting to breathe a sigh of relief that Delta seemed to be on its way out and thinking maybe it was all over.

We're also, I would imagine, now at the point that we understand covid way better than we used to, so could quite easily and quickly tailor a vaccine to any new sneaky evasive variant the current ones don't block. Obviously that means another big round of vaccinations, but would hopefully prevent another Winter 2020-scale mass death situation.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean we put up with pissflaps for a long time

If by 'we' you mean the mods, sure.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It was the weird DMs for me, really

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The echo chamber argument comes from absolute pea brained dipshits who think that the narrow field of liberalism is all that there is to political discourse, so they lump the vast fields of leftist discourse into one monolithic block, then write off any disagreements as infighting and splitting.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

winegums posted:

This whole "labour lost all their membership data" thing feels like it should be a bigger deal than it is. Am I missing something?

3) what are they going to do in terms of coordinating any sort of membership activity, or tracking payments to ensure members paying dues are legally allowed to (ie people's DD's aren't coming from illegible sources).

Any word on the debate the NEC were having about letting corbyn back in? I suspect if there is a snap GE they'll let him in as their finances and election workforce are going to be hosed. Plus if he's let in in the run up to a GE nobody will have space to debate whether helping labour is good or not (it's bad folks).

All they have to do to rebuild is go round all the CLP / branch / ward secretaries and ask them to turn over copies of their non-GDPR compliant member list spreadsheets and email contact lists on thousands of laptops around the country. (Oh, wait, didn't they suspend loads of secretaries and others quit the party - including yours truly in January 2020- ed: original wording sounded like I was suspended but I quit of my own accord after GE 2019)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 15, 2022

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

winegums posted:

Labour_membership_copy.xlsx in the same directory as Labour_membership.xlsx counts as a backup :science:

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Prole posted:

For better or for worse, internet forums tend to be an organic entity. A thread may start off with an eclectic mix of opinions and views from a range of backgrounds, but through sheer group dynamics you find they congeal into a sort of bubble of similar opinion. Either people get swayed by the opinions of others or those with what we might call "dissenting opinion" find it better for their brain to slide off elsewhere. I'd hazard a guess that almost everyone in here is a working class/emergent wc person aged between 25 and 50 with broadly "hard left" views and a penchant for poking the bees nest in terms of debate. Among ourselves, disagreement is still a thing, but it's more about the nuances.

Joke's on you: I'm middle class as gently caress and never post. Still very hard left though.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

winegums posted:

(Sorry, this is a bit of a pet topic)

The general consensus, given that they still haven't even named the third party that suffered the data breach, is that the company involved is either Blackbaud - which suffered a similar hack regarding labour data in 2019/20 - or David Evans' consulting firm. If it's the former then why on earth were they still using the firm? If it's the latter then Evans is really in the poo poo. Either way, it's very embarrassing for the party. They should've had backups but these are absolute clowns we're dealing with here so it doesn't surprise me if they didn't. You'd think that a massive data breach like this - nearly 400,000 people's information affected, maybe more given that some people who left the party long before the breach (including me), and even YEARS before, have received emails saying their info was potentially taken - would be headline news.

Clearly the party is lying about not knowing how many members they have due to the hack. Direct Debits would give you a rough number, as I've mentioned previously. I wonder where they got everyone's email addresses from to notify them of the hack if the breach was so devastating that they not only don't know who's info was robbed but don't even know what info was affected.

I reckon they know what's been taken and aren't too worried about it (so presumably not bank details etc). They also know that they can't admit to having farmed members' data out to a) a company with a record of losing it, or b) a company owned by the General Secretary. So they have to play dumb and hope it goes away. The press don't care, most members have forgotten about it. I hope the legal action that's being organised will shed some light on it all.

But yeah, you'd expect it to be taken more seriously than this, regardless of the ins and outs. Crazy that it is basically a non-story to most.

Prole fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 15, 2022

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The thing is, it's totally possible to bring fresh and interesting new perspectives into a thread like this. But "have you considered that leftism sucks" and "actually, FYGM" are neither fresh nor interesting.

It's like saying the chess club has to have someone saying "chess is bad and you're pathetic for liking it" at every committee meeting, otherwise it's a pro-chess echo chamber.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Conversely there is very little space for any variant to out-compete Omicron, which is already considerably more contagious than any other respiratory disease, and a huge reason for that efficiency in spread is where it most likes to reproduce, which limits its deadliness.

The more likely bad outcome, especially given the massive worldwide pool it can try out new stuff in, is a variant closer in transmissibility and deadliness to Delta, but completely immune-evading, putting us right back to square 1 (or in fact square zero because a *lot* of vaccines were rolled out before Delta hit, and also people were much more willing to go along with NPIs). This is still relatively unlikely (the immunity evasion bit, anyway - between vaccines and Omicron a massive amount of the population have an immune system that is a lean, mean, coronavirus killing machine) but at the same time just 3 months ago we were all starting to breathe a sigh of relief that Delta seemed to be on its way out and thinking maybe it was all over.

That sort of thing is what I had in mind, yeah.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
We could get a completely new virus nothing to do with covid though.
Friend who works in a GP practice said that during the height of people taking precautions especially hand-washing, there was a very sharp drop in flu, cold, cystitis. One type of flu went completely out of existence. But now people are going back to their old hygiene habits cystitis for one thing is on the sharp increase! (Doesn't bear thinking about what can be inferred from that!)
I'll probably continue to mask during the winter months even when this is 'over'. Apart from anything, it keeps my chin warm in freezing fog.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My local MP (David Lammy) recently apologised for nominating corbyn for leader. Last straw for me, voting green from now on I guess

Get rid of all who betrayed Corbyn.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Friend who works in a GP practice said that during the height of people taking precautions especially hand-washing, there was a very sharp drop in flu, cold, cystitis. One type of flu went completely out of existence. But now people are going back to their old hygiene habits cystitis for one thing is on the sharp increase! (Doesn't bear thinking about what can be inferred from that!)
I'll probably continue to mask during the winter months even when this is 'over'. Apart from anything, it keeps my chin warm in freezing fog.

Turns out good hand washing, social distancing and wearing masks stops people sharing their disgusting bodily fluids.

The fact that cases of flu a/b, para flu etc dropped massively during the pandemic has been lept upon by the dumb has gently caress as evidence that covid was always just a flu/it's all a conspiracy.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Prole posted:

(Sorry, this is a bit of a pet topic)

The general consensus, given that they still haven't even named the third party that suffered the data breach, is that the company involved is either Blackbaud - which suffered a similar hack regarding labour data in 2019/20 - or David Evans' consulting firm. If it's the former then why on earth were they still using the firm? If it's the latter then Evans is really in the poo poo. Either way, it's very embarrassing for the party. They should've had backups but these are absolute clowns we're dealing with here so it doesn't surprise me if they didn't. You'd think that a massive data breach like this - nearly 400,000 people's information affected, maybe more given that some people who left the party long before the breach (including me), and even YEARS before, have received emails saying their info was potentially taken - would be headline news.

Clearly the party is lying about not knowing how many members they have due to the hack. Direct Debits would give you a rough number, as I've mentioned previously. I wonder where they got everyone's email addresses from to notify them of the hack if the breach was so devastating that they not only don't know who's info was robbed but don't even know what info was affected.

I reckon they know what's been taken and aren't too worried about it (so presumably not bank details etc). They also know that they can't admit to having farmed members' data out to a) a company with a record of losing it, or b) a company owned by the General Secretary. So they have to play dumb and hope it goes away. The press don't care, most members have forgotten about it. I hope the legal action that's being organised will shed some light on it all.

But yeah, you'd expect it to be taken more seriously than this, regardless of the ins and outs. Crazy that it is basically a non-story to most.

The 3rd party that had the breach has been named now iirc.

E: yep: " LabourList has now learnt that the third party is digital agency Tangent, which ran Labour’s online members’ centre, and that the “cyber incident” in question was a ransomware attack."

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 15, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Lungboy posted:

The 3rd party that had the breach has been named now iirc.

E: yep: " LabourList has now learnt that the third party is digital agency Tangent, which ran Labour’s online members’ centre, and that the “cyber incident” in question was a ransomware attack."

Holy poo poo. This passed me by! Thank you.

Sorry folks. Looks like I've got some homework to do.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Lungboy posted:

“cyber incident”

I knew hiring that loving ballerina was a bad idea

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Aside from everything else it's literally impossible to live in a "leftist echo chamber" without living in some off-the-grid commune somewhere, because you're confronted with the realities of right-wing imperialism and fascist police states and a rabidly right-wing press a million times a day in the rest of your life outside of forums/twitter/wherever. Like you literally can't avoid it. You don't need to "seek out differing opinions" because the cunts are everywhere, highly regarded, and spewing their dipshit opinions into your face in a constant stream of warm vomit.

E: Speaking of fascist police states:

https://twitter.com/lulu_nunn/status/1482396740431003649?s=20

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Polish nationalists know that pee is stored in the balls.

Also not sure which is more likely, that he is proud of his Polish roots or misread 'Polish' as 'police'...

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm not looking forward to getting a cold or ordinary flu as it's heading for three years since i had one so god alone knows what'll happen when a virus gets into my system.

As for the masks i'm very happy to keep wearing them, my normal resting face looks very dour & depressing so i usually have to keep a slight smile on all.. the.... bloody... time so as not to give the impression i'm angry at everyone else (it tended to affect coworkers in the past).

Regarding warm extremities; i bought a neck warmer in December and it's probably the most useful article of clothing i've got in years, better than a scarf and i don't have to wear so many layers when i'm out and about. :)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

some of those that wear patches
are the same that guard matches
etc

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That third patch was used by the Home Army resistance during the Nazi occupation, so I don't understand where the 'anti communist' stuff comes from. The original tweet's since been deleted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Army

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
There's been a dispute going on now for a week between workers at a series of bars in Dundee and Glasgow and management.

https://twitter.com/FairHospitality/status/1479432269957931012

Issues include pay and conditions/not being paid, and people being pressured to come into work while waiting on the results of PCR tests - and not informed of close contacts who have tested positive etc.

Once the dispute started, they tried to lock out workers at the one bar with 100% union membership etc.

It is becoming more contentious with management and their friends, partners and bootlickers giving a crash course in how not to run a PR campaign. The latest low is insisting that if any of the bars have to close it will mean people losing jobs and owners losing business they built and how selfish it is etc etc.

If you could go read about their dispute https://twitter.com/FairHospitality, https://www.facebook.com/UniteHospitality that would be great. Posting hero medals to anyone who can support their solidarity fund which is really close to reaching its modest £3000 target https://www.gofundme.com/f/macmerry-300-solidarity-fund

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

edit: fuctifino covered it already. :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some fash wear RAF roundels or British Army insignia alongside their BUF or not-a-swastika patches because any ideology that encourages blind nationalism and military fetishism is going to end up waist deep in stupid poo poo like that, so I imagine whatever was going on with the chap wearing the combination thin blue jack/BUF/Home Army, police or not, it wasn't being worn in an anti-Nazi sense.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

fuctifino posted:

That third patch was used by the Home Army resistance during the Nazi occupation, so I don't understand where the 'anti communist' stuff comes from. The original tweet's since been deleted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Army

Different background colour though so might not be Home Army anymore.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Been deleted now.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

BUF on his back. Kotwica on his chest, alongside the thin blue line flag and a poppy pin. Madness. Just worn proudly.

Prole fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 15, 2022

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New Fudge Release and state of the nation!

Yes Fudge-fans, it’s time for the first fudge-drop of 2022! After an incredibly hectic back-end of last year, we were left with less than 15 bars left in stock come Christmas. We’re in the process of rebuilding supplies, hence the more limited selection than normal this week- however there will be many many more to come in the near future!

There’s a lot of exciting things coming down the line this year after ending the last on such a high note (In December I got interviewed on BBC Radio and we got a shoutout from Podcasting is Praxis, which was probably the highlight of the year!). In the next few months I’ll be launching a subscription service to guarantee you get your monthly sugar-fix. We’ll also be attending a lot more in-person markets (Covid apocalypse permitting) - aside from regular Artisanal markets around the West Midlands we’ll be at What’s Your Game in Gloucester the first weekend of February and at LARPCon near Leicester first weekend of March- drop by if you’re in the area!

But that’s enough words. We all know what really matters- the fudge!

Current Flavours

Original Vanilla
Cafe Americano
Rum ‘n’ Raisin
Malted Milk
Crunchy Chocolate Honeycomb (NEW!)
- Milk Chocolate fudge surrounding big hunks of chocolate coated honeycomb
Pistachio (NEW!) - Crunchy pistachio nuts surrounded in pistachio flavoured fudge
Unicorn Barf*
Mince Pie*

*Limited stock available

All stock is now live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk and comes in 100g bars. All flavours cost £3.50 per bar plus P&P, and as always you can use the goon discount code ‘Roastbeefisbest’ to get 5-for-4 at checkout.

Get fudged, people!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Snoods are pro tier winter clothing, superior to a scarf in every way (except maybe fashion, and I'm a goony goon so who cares)

I totally don't mind people from other political affiliations in the thread at all, honestly non trolls are always welcome. It usually makes a nice change from crisp or beans chat. Stagnation is never good for any society and it somewhat feels like long running forum threads are a mini variant of that.

It's depressing that anything that counts as political engagement is basically a minority and a luxury. Most people do not and cannot give a gently caress and that keeps the whole centrist and right wing bullshit afloat as it breeds on simple, strong messaging and lack of critical analysis.

I'm just really glad they're all so poo poo at everything.

Is Michael Gove still stuck in that elevator? I hope so.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

really the elevator's stuck with michael gove

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Get rid of all who betrayed Corbyn.

in vintage story

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Didn't they do 'Every Morning'?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Mebh posted:

Snoods are pro tier winter clothing, superior to a scarf in every way (except maybe fashion, and I'm a goony goon so who cares)

keffiyeh/shemagh beats snood, snood beats scarf

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These new rock paper scissors variations keep getting weirder.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Prole posted:

BUF on his back. Kotwica on his chest, alongside the thin blue line flag and a poppy pin. Madness. Just worn proudly.

https://twitter.com/stephen15099225/status/1482418069922328578

There's a high chance they were inspired by the old BUF logo (though the bolt is different), but it just indicates that the officer is trained to use a taser.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

This is great. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like Sue Gray is suddenly someone I should know about. As if Sue Gray is, and always has been, the arbiter of right and wrong and that, of course it's a matter for Sue Gray. Who's Sue Gray? What a crazy question, it's Sue Gray of course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/stephen15099225/status/1482418069922328578

There's a high chance they were inspired by the old BUF logo (though the bolt is different), but it just indicates that the officer is trained to use a taser.

Ah that's ok then. Still, two problematic emblems.