Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Violator posted:

Shortcuts are great but I hate having to authorize them. If I have an automation that runs when my phone connects to my car’s Bluetooth, don’t make me dig out my phone every time it runs to confirm it should run. Some of the HomeKit I understand since it can unlock your doors but just loving play the playlist when I get in my car.
I have an automation that runs monthly to change my wallpaper and under the Edit Automation settings there's an "Ask Before Running" toggle. I'll get a little notification that I need to dismiss in the morning when I wake up but it does seem to run without asking. Is that not an option for Automations when connecting to Bluetooth?

FCKGW posted:

DDG chat
Ah, one thing missing from DDG it seems that I like on Google Images is having an Animated GIF search just have all the gifs animated right away and not needing to tap through to them. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

I’ve been using DDG for about a year now and it handles about 95% of my queries just fine. If I need some more technical information or their fuzzy matching just plain fails then I need to hit up google but for general searches it’s plenty fine.

The one thing Google is insanely good at is intent, where you can have a search term with different meanings and Google can predict exactly what you mean. DDG just doesn’t have the sheer amount of personal data to do that.

Yeah it’s also nice to just be able to type g! In front of your search if you don’t get what you want. DDG rules.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

I have an automation that runs monthly to change my wallpaper and under the Edit Automation settings there's an "Ask Before Running" toggle. I'll get a little notification that I need to dismiss in the morning when I wake up but it does seem to run without asking. Is that not an option for Automations when connecting to Bluetooth?

That option isn’t there when connecting to devices unfortunately. I just double checked and it’s not even greyed out, it just isn’t there. I think connecting to devices is considered a security thing so you have to confirm every time.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Snowy posted:

Anyone got a working Imgur upload shortcut yet? iOS 15 broke the one I was using that added img tags

Pretty sure this one works

Yup

Only does one image at a time though if that's a problem

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

I keep thinking I should make the switch to DDG as my search engine. Are the results pretty comparable in quality to Google these days?

No

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

It’s really unfortunate, too. I wanna use DDG so badly but whenever I do, the results stink and I end up adding a !g to my searches.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

90% of the time I use DDG. If I don't get the results I need I just use !g to force a search of Google instead.

I've noticed the ads and YouTube videos that get served up to me are significantly less creepily on point so it seems to be working. Switching off of chrome and using another browser helps too

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can I change the sound of the Critical Alerts CARROT weather sends out?

Right now they sound like some major Commander Keen power up while playing in PC Speaker mode. I’d rather them not be more scary than the sirens outside.

I can’t tell if it’s an iOS or CARROT app setting.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I keep thinking I should make the switch to DDG as my search engine. Are the results pretty comparable in quality to Google these days?

the way i checked this was to just try it. i set DDG as my default search engine and made a good faith effort to rely on it as my only search engine. after a couple days or weeks of doing this i realized i really didn't care about going back to google. i do still use google sometimes, but it's mostly when i need to use advanced search operators or one of google's more specialized search tools like Books or Newspapers

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What’s the recommended package tracker these days?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Even though it went subscription, I still use and like deliveries. It's on all apple devices. It has a widget and the sub is like $5 a year.

Violator
May 15, 2003

serebralassazin posted:

Even though it went subscription, I still use and like deliveries. It's on all apple devices. It has a widget and the sub is like $5 a year.

Parcel is good, too. $3 a year.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's a good document scanning app that cleans up the documents and saves it to PDF to any location I want (i.e. Save to Files, to send it to my NAS, which then also syncs it to S3) and doesn't bother me with its cloud services or anything? Adobe Scan only cares about Adobe Cloud, Office Lens only exports JPEGs in aforementioned case. I've tried that QuickScan app people seem to rave about, but the resolution it saves the scans isn't anything to cry home about (god forbid any document has fine print). Any other suggestions?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I use Genius Scan, no idea if the output works the way you want though. Seems like it can save to just about anything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's a good document scanning app that cleans up the documents and saves it to PDF to any location I want (i.e. Save to Files, to send it to my NAS, which then also syncs it to S3) and doesn't bother me with its cloud services or anything? Adobe Scan only cares about Adobe Cloud, Office Lens only exports JPEGs in aforementioned case. I've tried that QuickScan app people seem to rave about, but the resolution it saves the scans isn't anything to cry home about (god forbid any document has fine print). Any other suggestions?

Scanner Pro has always given me great results and has a huge range of export options.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lens does PDF

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Have you tried the scanner functionality built into Notes?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kri kri posted:

Lens does PDF
Not when I export it with Save to Files. It insists on JPEG.

Arivia posted:

Have you tried the scanner functionality built into Notes?
Uh, right now yea. The scanning UI is exactly the same as in QuickScan, looks and functionality. So I just take it that latter is a wrapper around former then.

--edit: Except that it saves it directly into Notes, which is useless.

--edit: Meh, so far it seems QuickScan would be the most adequate solution, if I could disable that stupid auto-shutter function. That dumb Notes/QuickScan scanner UI is taking pictures on its own whenever it thinks it sees a new page, and disabling it on the UI doesn't stick.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 27, 2021

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: Except that it saves it directly into Notes, which is useless.

If you tap on the scan after it's embedded into the note you can hit the share button and save it as a PDF

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This appears to be something of a can of worms, but I'm hoping someone has sorted out a decent way of making things work.

What is the "best" Calibre compatible reading app for iOS? Specifically something that handles progress elegantly. I really enjoy how I can use Reeder to browse my RSS feeds and then hop onto FreshRSS in my desktop browser and do the same; so I'm hoping I can pull the same sort of setup with a mobile app and just using Calibre-Web via browser.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any good recommendations for Twitter apps? I have been using the old tweetbot but have gotten annoyed with its limitations like inline video playing not working and polls etc. I am on the tweetbot 6 trial ($8 CAD a year) now but wondering if there is any other similar or better options.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

priznat posted:

Any good recommendations for Twitter apps? I have been using the old tweetbot but have gotten annoyed with its limitations like inline video playing not working and polls etc. I am on the tweetbot 6 trial ($8 CAD a year) now but wondering if there is any other similar or better options.

Tweetbot’s been my ride-or-die for years. The not being able to vote in polls thing is a little annoying (but that’s an API limitation I believe, not their fault). :shrug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Referee posted:

Tweetbot’s been my ride-or-die for years. The not being able to vote in polls thing is a little annoying (but that’s an API limitation I believe, not their fault). :shrug:

Ah yeah it looks like on 6 it will send you to the site at least, on the one I was using it would just not show any poll options at all so sometimes it wasn’t obvious there was a poll. $8/year doesn’t seem unreasonable I suppose for something I use daily, no matter how much I grumble after being used to a buy once then done model.

Twitterrific is $14 or a buy forever for $40. Nah.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Warbird posted:

This appears to be something of a can of worms, but I'm hoping someone has sorted out a decent way of making things work.

What is the "best" Calibre compatible reading app for iOS? Specifically something that handles progress elegantly. I really enjoy how I can use Reeder to browse my RSS feeds and then hop onto FreshRSS in my desktop browser and do the same; so I'm hoping I can pull the same sort of setup with a mobile app and just using Calibre-Web via browser.

I use Kybook 3 which supports the calibre OPDS server so you can just browse and download your ebook collection directly from the app rather than having to deal with the hassle of side loading the epubs. It does support progress syncing across devices. Though you'd have to pay for a premium subscription. I don't feel the need.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I use Kybook 3 which supports the calibre OPDS server so you can just browse and download your ebook collection directly from the app rather than having to deal with the hassle of side loading the epubs. It does support progress syncing across devices. Though you'd have to pay for a premium subscription. I don't feel the need.

drat it, you had me right up until the end there. That would have been perfect.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

The alternate option is keeping both Tweetbot 5 and 6 (free mode) installed, then hiding 5 from your homescreen. It essentially makes the “easy route” to Twitter read-only, and adds that little bit more friction to posting to make you question whether it’s something that needs saying.

Depends entirely on how you use Twitter, and agreed that £6/year is reasonable, but less social media can be it’s own positive.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
I have used Tweetbot since the original version but recently started using Safari with the Tweaks for Twitter extension and it owns.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Froist posted:

The alternate option is keeping both Tweetbot 5 and 6 (free mode) installed, then hiding 5 from your homescreen. It essentially makes the “easy route” to Twitter read-only, and adds that little bit more friction to posting to make you question whether it’s something that needs saying.

Depends entirely on how you use Twitter, and agreed that £6/year is reasonable, but less social media can be it’s own positive.

I loved the read-only mode of the free version of 6 and wish that was an option you could enable when paid. I ended up paying for it for a year because I wanted to use something or other (lists maybe?) and I’m really like it now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Warbird posted:

drat it, you had me right up until the end there. That would have been perfect.

I know it's not likely to be super helpful for you, but Moonreader + does support device progress syncing on Android (though you need some place for it to upload the progress database it makes, be it google drive or some self-hosted solution like Nextcloud) and also supports the Calibre OPDS server as well.

Kybook 3 really is like 95% the way there to Moonreader. I don't think you'll find a better app for self-hosted ebook reading on iOS.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’ve been using Marvin forever, it works fine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I know it's not likely to be super helpful for you, but Moonreader + does support device progress syncing on Android (though you need some place for it to upload the progress database it makes, be it google drive or some self-hosted solution like Nextcloud) and also supports the Calibre OPDS server as well.

Kybook 3 really is like 95% the way there to Moonreader. I don't think you'll find a better app for self-hosted ebook reading on iOS.

Not an issue there at all, I have homelab broke brain so I’ve got servers for days. Now android devices on the other hand…

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Book fusion works really well too. Not as full featured as Marvin though

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I’ve kept the 5/6 combo for now without the subscription. The only issue that I run into is that it’s way behind for alerts/notifications vs the official app. I’m sure this is by design though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

withak posted:

I’ve been using Marvin forever, it works fine.

Oh hey, well what do you know. Looking at it Marvin does support multi-device syncing using your iCloud account. So that might be your answer OP. It also supports the OPDS server of Calibre (just setup mine now). You'll need to pay for the app though if you want to get rid of the banner, but it's a one-time purchase. Not a subscription.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Note that Marvin hasn't been updated in 4 years and does not yet support The Camera Notch in the title bar. However, I periodically try out ereader apps and have not yet found anything appreciably better for what I need.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Violator posted:

I loved the read-only mode of the free version of 6 and wish that was an option you could enable when paid. I ended up paying for it for a year because I wanted to use something or other (lists maybe?) and I’m really like it now.

Read only mode? poo poo that seems like a plus. Checking it out now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EconOutlines posted:

I’ve kept the 5/6 combo for now without the subscription. The only issue that I run into is that it’s way behind for alerts/notifications vs the official app. I’m sure this is by design though.

That's because of the Twitter API limits. There is a chance that with v2 of the API Twitter starts to allow some of those features to come back. Tweetbot afaik is the only third-party app that's been good with bringing all the v2 API stuff out as it releases.

As silly as it sounds, if Twitter added an ad-free option to Twitter Blue I would consider it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Crime on a Dime posted:

I have used Tweetbot since the original version but recently started using Safari with the Tweaks for Twitter extension and it owns.

Alternatively, buy the Macaque user-script manager and then add the Tweak New Twitter script from Greasyfork.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have a feeling that the extensions targeting particular large, monetized websites like youtube and twitter aren’t going to have a very long life in the app store. Apple killed off all the alternative youtube video player apps a few years back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but messages has been freezing up quite often since I upgraded to 15.2 on my iphone 11.

This happens when trying to reply to a push notification, just opening the app, sending a message, and other basic functionality. I often have to close the app, then wait a minute, for the problem to be fixed.

Anyone else experience this? This fixed in the new 15.2.1 update?