Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New Dev Diary - An Artifact's Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The sheer amount of work going into artifacts and the rest of this expansion is impressive, I'm rooting for Paradox to have a lot of success with this one

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I can hardly believe I pre purchaded this almost for nothing togheter with the Norse DLC, it was a sweet deal

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I still think the court 3D visualization looks awful and they shouldn't have wasted time on it. I want all the flavor text and artifacts and court people and I think that just looks better as a 2D setup.

I want there to be courtiers who could be appointed as ambassadors or hereditary vassal-knights. Would be nice to send send of spares and always have a small core group of 16+ prowess knights so i'm not accidently sending my Kids/Dukes/Kings into battle.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I want there to be courtiers who could be appointed as ambassadors or hereditary vassal-knights. Would be nice to send send of spares and always have a small core group of 16+ prowess knights so i'm not accidently sending my Kids/Dukes/Kings into battle.

I'd like to see national knightly orders that are vassals and require a building in keeps but don't require land to this effect. Membership can be an honor title and come with perks but you can also create requirements for membership i.e. martial training, must be a member from childhood, whatever, etc, so you can consistently generate good knights in your realm if you build it up and maintain it. Also it could be available to all subjects of the realm, so you can potentially have access to the gifted martial courtiers and spare warriors of your vassals as well as your own court.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think the 3d models are pretty loving impressive. At least to my eyes they're pretty masterfully done and convey character very well. The aging process is also fantastic.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I can understand the argument against them - a lot of what takes so long about creating content for this game (both first-party and total conversion/other art heavy mods) is down to dealing with the higher art/modelling/UI demands of this version BUT it absolutely feels more alive and immersive dealing with the models than the old portraits, even given the occasional detour into an uncanny valley, so I cope.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

How are u posted:

I think the 3d models are pretty loving impressive. At least to my eyes they're pretty masterfully done and convey character very well. The aging process is also fantastic.

I enjoy the 3d Character models, but they look great because they are all used in preset static poses. Meanwhile in the court scenes you've got a bunch of NPC's just loitering in a empty hall that looks like someone's drawn some squares in a UE3 level editor. The "artifacts" are just generic items on a wooden frame in the middle of the room.

Stick with the 3D static pose over a matte painting backdrop! For the artifacts too!

e; clarifying from my original post I mean the 3D visualization of the Court, not the 3D character's in the base game themselves.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I think the idea is you'll see all your favourite courtiers, high officials and artifacts in the 3D court scenes, which would probably get a bit weird and crowded if it was all squashed into a 2D image. Maybe they'll even have fully modelled scenes for some events, like the person giving a toast to all her guests in the trailer long, long ago. Not sure if there's going to be animations beyond the "character wobbles a bit" stuff we already have, that would probably not be necessary and likely not look very good.

I'll admit I originally thought "WHY do the characters need to be 3D :rolleyes:" when it was announced for CK3, but it ended up really cool and I'm happy with it. The only thing I miss a bit is the culturally distinct looks for each character. Maybe it's not quite realistic, but I liked how you would occasionally get a really Greek looking person in Germany or vice versa. But I'll admit I'm comparing a CK2 with years of addons to a CK3 that had just one so far. If I remember correctly they did add more distinctive looks for regions and will probably continue to do so. But if so, I hope they'll also add a better interface for changing hairstyle and clothes, because the current one is pretty unwieldy (I know there's a mod).

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I can understand not being into it but personally I think it’ll be pretty cool when you get in with characters you know and can better relate to. It’s a cool little tableau that should help a lot with role playing imo. I just hope it isn’t abandoned as a concept going forward since it seems like the kind of thing that could just be endlessly built on.

It’s also just cool to see Paradox trying genuinely new stuff so I’m willing to cut them some slack with how long it’s taken because I think it’s a cool idea and the new skills will pay off in the long run.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Omnicarus posted:

I'd like to see national knightly orders that are vassals and require a building in keeps but don't require land to this effect. Membership can be an honor title and come with perks but you can also create requirements for membership i.e. martial training, must be a member from childhood, whatever, etc, so you can consistently generate good knights in your realm if you build it up and maintain it. Also it could be available to all subjects of the realm, so you can potentially have access to the gifted martial courtiers and spare warriors of your vassals as well as your own court.

Paradox, please do this, this is a great idea.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Artiafact system sounds cool and I can't wait to see what the modders will do with it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hellioning posted:

Artiafact system sounds cool and I can't wait to see what the modders will do with it.

"My sublime liege, your general has won a tremendous victory in the Crusade for Egypt, and as tribute he has sent you [Sephiroth's Sword of Doom]"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

M_Gargantua posted:

I enjoy the 3d Character models, but they look great because they are all used in preset static poses. Meanwhile in the court scenes you've got a bunch of NPC's just loitering in a empty hall that looks like someone's drawn some squares in a UE3 level editor. The "artifacts" are just generic items on a wooden frame in the middle of the room.

Yeah seriously, the shots they've been showing in the dev diaries are not super inspiring in terms of looking like an interesting court.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah seriously, the shots they've been showing in the dev diaries are not super inspiring in terms of looking like an interesting court.

Has there been any footage of people actually playing with the new court stuff? Like I've seen screenshots but yeah they look sorta wonky with like a couple random platforms with a thing on it and then a load of mannequins

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hey, when do the Qarmatians show up? I've just formed Russia and I'd like to convert everyone as fast as possible for the Muslim Russia achievement, but Qarmatians (who have Mendicant Preachers as a tenet) are nowhere to be found.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How are u posted:

"My sublime liege, your general has won a tremendous victory in the Crusade for Egypt, and as tribute he has sent you [Sephiroth's Sword of Doom]"

I laughed at this a lot harder than I should have.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Hey, when do the Qarmatians show up? I've just formed Russia and I'd like to convert everyone as fast as possible for the Muslim Russia achievement, but Qarmatians (who have Mendicant Preachers as a tenet) are nowhere to be found.

I don't think there's any scripted forcing of the appearance of any religion, it'd be down to random appearance through the built in heresy system.

That said, you should be able to find it in the religion menu and just convert to it, though it's likely to be expensive and you might need to stack some discounts from the learning trees. Or create your own heresy with Mendicant Preachers.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Has there been any footage of people actually playing with the new court stuff? Like I've seen screenshots but yeah they look sorta wonky with like a couple random platforms with a thing on it and then a load of mannequins

There have been three hands-on previews so far (two of them are in other languages tho)
IGN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljmdznw2QJU
Gamestar (German)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSN78XbnGPs
3GB (Spanish)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSW958JvZG8

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Is it a feature to suddenly be declared war on by a kingdom I have absolutely nothing to do with?

Twice I have had games starting in Ireland when out of the blue some dude near Denmark or Northern Europe says he’s sick of my poo poo and declares war on me.

Is that just from starting at the earliest start date?

Am I missing something my vassals did to piss them off?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
They have a special CB that allows them to invade you. They’ll pretty much give up if you can make it to a decent size and let them settle down a bit. You also might want to swap to a 1066 start date. 867 Ireland is a bloodbath with huge gains and losses, some of which are inevitable, and you’ll have to switch away from tribal which is like ripping off bandaids for 30 minutes. It’s fun, don’t get me wrong, but it might be a bit much.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That is just vikings doing as vikings do.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah if you start anywhere in Europe in 867 that's on the sea or on a navigable river you could end up with Vikings swinging by to Adventure your poo poo. Probably even worse in the British Isles. You can turn that game setting down, or pick somewhere else in the world to be.

Or, be the Vikings :getin:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In general I find just about every 867 a blood bath. There are some nice spots here and there where you can consolidate weak neighbors and hunker down until you've got a stable economy and military built up. But in general the entire world is just a mess for the first few hundred years until crown authority rises + high partition stabilizes the world.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The conversion part of "Mother of Us All" is absolutely miserable, I shouldnt have chosen Islamic Syncreticism as a tenet...

Also will lowering crown authority after changing to a single heir succession law change my succession law?

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 15, 2022

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

The conversion part of "Mother of Us All" is absolutely miserable, I shouldnt have chosen Islamic Syncreticism as a tenet...

Also will lowering crown authority after changing to a single heir succession law change my succession law?

Nope.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

In general I find just about every 867 a blood bath. There are some nice spots here and there where you can consolidate weak neighbors and hunker down until you've got a stable economy and military built up. But in general the entire world is just a mess for the first few hundred years until crown authority rises + high partition stabilizes the world.

I know it's great. I love constantly having to fight off viking raiders and adventurers.

I am being sincere by the way it's incredibly fun and 867 Cornwall is amongst my favored starts.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
In the last game I played, Adopting Feudal Ways required 5 development in my capital. In this game, it's saying I need 10, which is what I remember from playing at launch. Did they change it to be dependent on something?

e: once I finished my last innovation, it popped up and the checked box for development cited 5 as the requisite. Looks like it was just a visual bug.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 16, 2022

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Chakan posted:

In the last game I played, Adopting Feudal Ways required 5 development in my capital. In this game, it's saying I need 10, which is what I remember from playing at launch. Did they change it to be dependent on something?

e: once I finished my last innovation, it popped up and the checked box for development cited 5 as the requisite. Looks like it was just a visual bug.

I think its 5 if you neighbor someone feudal/clan, 10 if you don't.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

scaterry posted:

I think its 5 if you neighbor someone feudal/clan, 10 if you don't.

That's correct, and it's also only for independent tribes (or vassals of republics/theocracies); the tech/development/authority requirements are waived for vassals of clan/feudal rulers.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks, I was wondering why it went back up to 10 after I conquered a feudal county. For how much more transparent CK is now, it still stumbles. Maybe I just missed it somewhere.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Chakan posted:

Thanks, I was wondering why it went back up to 10 after I conquered a feudal county. For how much more transparent CK is now, it still stumbles. Maybe I just missed it somewhere.

It calls a function that returns either 5 or 10 depending upon your neighbors, with nothing in the tooltip to reflect that there might be a change. I'm guessing it was just an oversight, because as you said CK3 is a lot better than CK2 at showing things like that.

If you have a spare kid, give them that feudal county you just conquered, and release them as independent. That will give you a feudal neighbor to drop the development requirement back down to 5, as well as an ally for expansion/defense.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

binge crotching posted:

If you have a spare kid,

And let's be honest, if you're tribal you do. :)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

From the makers of "What if you could play CK3 battles in Mount and Blade Bannerlord?":

What if you could talk to CK3 characters via DeepL machine learning?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Hellioning posted:

From the makers of "What if you could play CK3 battles in Mount and Blade Bannerlord?":

Lol holy poo poo

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Hellioning posted:

incredibly dope idea

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Hellioning posted:

Absolutely incredible.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I hope the chair-throwing is included in a future patch.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
It's truly perfect and I must have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lmao I can’t wait