Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Somaen posted:

And you know why that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

I'm the troll eating from a bucket labeled "poo poo".

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Grouchio posted:

Why should they feel nervous if they aren't the target for provocation? Scared to death of losing their neutrality?

There's been a lot of Russian ships around the island and Russia has been making threats because of Swedish Nato-talks.

While I don't personally think Russia will do anything other than make a lot of noise it doesn't hurt to move troops to the island.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Onto my next line of thinking post-war: What the hell happens to Russia when Putin eats it/gets ousted? Could any wild-eyed Russian nationalist take power? Would the oligarchs place one of their own? Does Russia become more or less trigger-happy?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Onto my next line of thinking post-war: What the hell happens to Russia when Putin eats it/gets ousted? Could any wild-eyed Russian nationalist take power? Would the oligarchs place one of their own? Does Russia become more or less trigger-happy?

I imagine oligarchs fighting it out for power and lots of chaos. Is there anyone who remotely exudes the same big strong daddy aura as Putin?

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1482183958972575744

Hee hee, Silly Russia tweaked Denmark's nose.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Morrow posted:

Russia is a regional power, it just so happens that Ukraine is in their region. Within living memory, the area they're currently preparing to invade wasn't just part of their sphere, it was considered some of their core territory. They punch above their weight because of a disproportionate investment in military and cyber systems and vast natural gas reserves, but their economy is on partner with South Korea.

I'd consider them a great power, not a superpower or a regional power. They have some power projection capabilities that extend beyond their immediate borders, as we've seen in Syria. They obviously lack in major external economic ties except for natural gas, but that's a pretty big 'except for' in Europe, and the Soviet Union was always poorer than the US and itself was pretty dependent on natural resource wealth too, at least toward the end.

Back to the Ukraine crisis specifically, I thought this was a good thread about how NATO's operating based on principles rather than pragmatism in this standoff, so I'll include the first few tweets:

https://twitter.com/OlyaOliker/status/1481676417993744394
https://twitter.com/OlyaOliker/status/1481676422100000769

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I imagine oligarchs fighting it out for power and lots of chaos. Is there anyone who remotely exudes the same big strong daddy aura as Putin?
If any exist now, they're way too young to hold power for another few decades. So noooorpe.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Sinteres posted:

I'd consider them a great power, not a superpower or a regional power. They have some power projection capabilities that extend beyond their immediate borders, as we've seen in Syria. They obviously lack in major external economic ties except for natural gas, but that's a pretty big 'except for' in Europe, and the Soviet Union was always poorer than the US and itself was pretty dependent on natural resource wealth too, at least toward the end.

Back to the Ukraine crisis specifically, I thought this was a good thread about how NATO's operating based on principles rather than pragmatism in this standoff, so I'll include the first few tweets:

https://twitter.com/OlyaOliker/status/1481676417993744394
https://twitter.com/OlyaOliker/status/1481676422100000769

Yes. NATO doesn't want Ukraine, and everyone but Ukraine seems to get it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ukraine also gets it, but it's in their constitution now, so politicians have to make appropriate noises.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The neutrality was in the constitution too, and look where it got them. Might as well try to get into NATO or die trying is probably the idea

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://ria.ru/20220114/donbass-1767821698.html

Is this our casus belli, then - NATO instructors "waging war against ethnic Russians"?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Is there anyone who remotely exudes the same big strong daddy aura as Putin?

None can exist before Putin is willing to give up power/at death's door.

At the risk of inviting a ban because people don't read classics anymore, tyrants (In the Greek sense! No moral judgement here.[0]) need to cut the tall wheat. The existence of anyone who would be a natural successor to Putin would be a massive threat to him, even if that person was 100% loyal to him. It would produce a natural rallying point to any opposition to him, and make offing him a much more viable choice to anyone who feels slighted by him. It's precisely because of this that dictators (or, you know, whatever Putin is) don't have clear successors, unless they are their children. In which case having a clear successor is still inadvisable, but the judgement of the guy at the top is probably clouded by sentiment.

[0]: Lots of moral judgement ouside that sentence, though.

Sinteres posted:

I'd consider them a great power, not a superpower or a regional power.

The problem with this is that in economic strength they are about halfway between Italy and Spain. Any of the top 5 European countries could be more than a match to Russian in conventional strenght, if they chose to. On top of that, most of Europe is part of that pesky supranational union that economically surpasses Russia by an absurd degree.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://ria.ru/20220114/donbass-1767821698.html

Is this our casus belli, then - NATO instructors "waging war against ethnic Russians"?
You better believe it! dattebayo

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tuna-Fish posted:

The problem with this is that in economic strength they are about halfway between Italy and Spain. Any of the top 5 European countries could be more than a match to Russian in conventional strenght, if they chose to. On top of that, most of Europe is part of that pesky supranational union that economically surpasses Russia by an absurd degree.

The economic part is true, but I genuinely don't think any European country could match Russia militarily even if they tried super hard to do so for a decade, though the EU as a whole probably could (and has the potential to be a superpower under those circumstances). Russia has a ton of banked expertise/logistics/industry/etc., and a larger population, and a large state slush fund they can tap into due to the country's dependence on natural resource wealth. Then Russia also obviously has a completely insane amount of nukes, which hopefully can't/won't be used, but do have something to do with maintaining Russia's power ranking on the global stage. If Russia's not a great power, who is? Other than the US, I think only China and France have any significant power projection capabilities at all at this point. Turkey's working on it, but so far they're a lot more limited to their region than Russia.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 15, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

People keep saying how small Russia’s economy is, that it’s smaller than South Korea or Italy. It looks like they have the sixth largest GDP in the world by purchasing power parity? Only the US, China, India, Japan, and Germany are larger.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TipTow posted:

People keep saying how small Russia’s economy is, that it’s smaller than South Korea or Italy. It looks like they have the sixth largest GDP in the world by purchasing power parity? Only the US, China, India, Japan, and Germany are larger.

Yeah, one benefit of being relatively cut off from the rest of the world economically is that they can have their own little bubble where being poor kind of works out because it keeps costs super low. It's what makes them far more resistant to sanctions pressure than pretty much any other country too.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

TipTow posted:

Does Moldova even share a border with Ukraine that isn't controlled by Transnistria?

This is extreme Clancychat I know, but: if Putin were to annex all of Ukraine, would he go ahead and grab Transnistria, too? I'm under the impression one reason the breakaway republic exists at all is just Soviet nostalgia.

This extremely Clancychat-ish report (from an ex-CIA paramilitary) speculates one possible step Russia could take short of occupying all of Ukraine is to seize the entire Black Sea coast, thus linking up with Transnistria, giving a land corridor for Crimea, and extremely loving over what is left of Ukraine.

https://www.csis.org/analysis/russias-possible-invasion-ukraine

quote:

4. Seize Ukrainian territory up to the Dnepr River and seize an additional belt of land (to include Odessa) that connects Russian territory with the breakaway Transdniestria Republic and separates Ukraine from any access to the Black Sea. The Kremlin would incorporate these new lands into Russia and ensure that the rump Ukrainian statelet remains economically unviable.

Options four and five—seizing a belt of land from Tiraspol to Mariupol—are complicated by the fact that there is no east-west running natural feature, river, or mountain range that could serve as a natural line of demarcation for this occupied land. The new border along this territory would run across countless fields and forests and be difficult to defend.

(Option 5 is just taking the Black Sea coast and leaving eastern Ukraine to the DNR/PNR, Step 6 is declaring a literal Slavic Union at gunpoint with Belarus and Ukraine.)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 15, 2022

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Russia seems to have a really chill army if they're troops are all allowed to use their smartphones on the way to the front lines.

They've passed laws against exactly this, thanks to "volunteers" taking selfies inside Ukraine and posting them to VK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41510592

The soldiers pictured heading to the front are probably conscripts, which are exempt from the law.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TipTow posted:

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, one benefit of being relatively cut off from the rest of the world economically is that they can have their own little bubble where being poor kind of works out because it keeps costs super low. It's what makes them far more resistant to sanctions pressure than pretty much any other country too.
This has the flip-side of also making them less able to influence others with their economy. Like, look at the UK flailing about, trying to pretend that its economy is important enough to make people pay attention, and then realize it is twice as large as that of Russia.

Admittedly they do have gas, but that's also the kind of thing you don't want to push too hard, because you risk convincing countries that their reliance on you is too much of a liability. Given the composition of the Russian economy, that would be extremely bad, like an echo of the fall of the USSR.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""
There was an anonymous bomb threat against an airport in Kyiv today. A few other infrastructure points were closed down for the same reason few days ago.
""
""
Ukrainian Military intelligence reports leaking container with ammonia was recently brought to Stirol Chemical plant in Horlivka by Russian forces
""

""
U.S. State Dept has held talks with international energy companies over contingency plans for European natural gas supply in case of Russia-Ukraine conflict - U.S. officials and industry sources
""
--Ahahahah America never let a good disaster go to waste! Don't worry Europe we will just take that energy crisis if Russia turns the gas off and help you facilitate some better deals.

That's our true motive once again.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Regarding Gotland, the reason Swedes are so anxy is because Russia just moved several landing ships from Northern Fleet to Baltic Fleet. Gotland normally has only token garrison on a huge island, taking it wouldn't be a task at all for Russia.

And why would they do this? Gotland is excellently situated if someone wanted to secure the seaways (and airways) north of Kaliningrad for themselves. And invading it wouldn't trigger NATO article 5, unlike taking Hiiumaa and Saaremaa would.

Now this would be extremely unlikely to happen because it would be dumb of Russia, but it's the task of Swedish army to react to rising threat levels in the area. If, say, USA threatened to blockade Kaliningrad, then Russia would have to react somehow to keep the lanes open. This is an unlikely chain of events, but Crimea shows that it's healthy to be a little paranoid around Russia :tinfoil:

Finland won't be doing the same with Åland because the islands have been demilitarized during peace time since the previuos Crimean War when the Anglo-French fleet blew up the garrison there. If a war started there would be a race to the islands. But it has less of a strategic importance in this case anyway.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

""
There was an anonymous bomb threat against an airport in Kyiv today. A few other infrastructure points were closed down for the same reason few days ago.
""
""
Ukrainian Military intelligence reports leaking container with ammonia was recently brought to Stirol Chemical plant in Horlivka by Russian forces
""

""
U.S. State Dept has held talks with international energy companies over contingency plans for European natural gas supply in case of Russia-Ukraine conflict - U.S. officials and industry sources
""
--Ahahahah America never let a good disaster go to waste! Don't worry Europe we will just take that energy crisis if Russia turns the gas off and help you facilitate some better deals.

That's our true motive once again.

Have Europeans considered simply building their civilization in an area with large gas and mineral deposits?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Have Europeans considered simply building their civilization in an area with large gas and mineral deposits?

Many civilizations tried starting their game on top of oil resources, then Europeans (including Russians) came.

Norwegians got super lucky :norway:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ukranians will fight for Ukrane, west or not. If Rusiia endeavors into this, Putin regime will not survive the campaign. Still remain that there will be no war

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Sure. Except you need someome to live in extreme cold to pump it welp its Russia again

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Germany is sitting on some of the largest shale gas resources on the planet. And they chose not to frack it, instead deciding to buy their gas from Russia.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Tuna-Fish posted:

Germany is sitting on some of the largest shale gas resources on the planet. And they chose not to frack it, instead deciding to buy their gas from Russia.

So they're not fracking? I guess they're busy destroying the earth with their enormous coal-mines instead.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Tuna-Fish posted:

The most ironic part about this is that drilling in Russia is one the least regulated and environmentally friendly. I guarantee you their entire infrastructure leaks gas (methane) like a sieve and in reality their gas just as bad as coal. Or even worse.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

The most ironic part about this is that drilling in Russia is one the least regulated and environmentally friendly. I guarantee you their entire infrastructure leaks gas (methane) like a sieve and in reality their gas just as bad as coal. Or even worse.

How can it be bad when it has *green* in the name, checkmate nuclealures :smug:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Germany destiny does not lie in the east friend

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

So about that weird web defacement with a bunch of nonsense on it that people were trying to interpret:

https://twitter.com/wiczipedia/status/1482736881372741641?s=21

quote:

Today, we’re sharing that we’ve observed destructive malware in systems belonging to several Ukrainian government agencies and organizations that work closely with the Ukrainian government. The malware is disguised as ransomware but, if activated by the attacker, would render the infected computer system inoperable. We’re sharing this information to help others in the cybersecurity community look out for and defend against these attacks.

At this time, we have not identified notable overlap between the unique characteristics of the group behind these attacks and groups we’ve traditionally tracked but we continue to analyze the activity.

The organizations affected by this malware include government agencies that provide critical executive branch or emergency response functions and an IT firm that manages websites for public and private sector clients, including government agencies whose websites were recently defaced.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
idk, calling destructive malware a "cyber attack" seems pretty alarmist.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

idk, calling destructive malware a "cyber attack" seems pretty alarmist.

Yeah, it only irreversibly destroys all information stored in the target system. Not sure why would anyone consider targeted distribution of such, notably unseen previously, malware an attack.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a snarky reference

FishBulbia posted:

Calling ddos attacks "cyber attacks" is pretty alarmist. Its cyber vandalism. Russia has directly attacked the Ukrainian energy grid before.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

It's a snarky reference

We have people itt who unironically claim that Holodomor was named after Holocaust, so I think I’ll hold off from enthusiastically assuming that something surely is a well-intended joke. :colbert:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 16, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

When watching The Death of Stalin I noticed that Uncle Joe had a cockney accent to represent the thick georgian accent he carried throughout his life. (everyone spoke british english in the film)

So what does Russian with a Georgian accent sound like to an english speaker? How does it differ?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grouchio posted:

When watching The Death of Stalin I noticed that Uncle Joe had a cockney accent to represent the thick georgian accent he carried throughout his life. (everyone spoke british english in the film)
Buschemi speaks American.

Grouchio posted:

So what does Russian with a Georgian accent sound like to an english speaker? How does it differ?
Not a native English speaker, but no familiarity with Slavic languages either. Comparing him to other Russian leaders his speech seems softer. who seem to generally stress their sibilants.

If the cockney accent/dialect was chosen deliberately, it has to have been due to the association with violent criminals in British cinema.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Grouchio posted:

everyone spoke british english in the film

I may be going crazy, but I’m pretty sure the accents weren’t just British. At least Molotov and Khrushchev had American accents I think?

I can’t exactly remember Beria’s accent…

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

More troops moving into the Ukrainian border. Uptick in troops at the north end of Russias Ukrainian border 600KM from Kiev.

They were seen gathering at railways, which is still the Russian preferred method of troop transport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Worlds longest loving invasion prep