Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You checked your fan curves right? Cause fan speed is only controlled by how you set it, not by your paste.

Yes, this is with the same settings, I think the CPU cooler wasn't making great contact after getting rattled around in a box. For the GPU I can set a more aggressive curve in afterburner so will definitely do that if it really bugs me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Shooting Blanks posted:

Crossposting from the Hardware Questions thread:

I'm getting mixed answers online, figured I'd ask here:

I built my PC in March? of 2021 and reused an old GPU (GTX970) because they were still rare as hen's teeth. I lucked into a 3070ti the other day, and now I'm concerned about whether my PSU is beefy enough. Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MSI Tomahawk B550
16GB RAM
WD Blue 2GB NVME
EVGA G5 650W PSU

I will probably add more storage down the line, but that isn't confirmed yet. Is 650W enough, or should I start looking through SA classifieds for someone who gets a Newegg bundle with a larger/decent PSU? Similarly, if I should upgrade, EVGA G5 still a solid pick?

Alternatively if I need to upgrade, this goon has a GPU for sale that looks decent - any known issues with Corsair, or specifically the Corsair AX-850? It's Titanium rated.

CoolCab posted:

I think a 650w psu is in spec for a 3070ti, you're also not throwing a hugely thirsty chip at it. I don't know the specific PSU tho

The 3070 recommended PSU is 650W, but the 3070 Ti is 750W

The GDDRX6 is what is much more power hungry apparently, the Ti has a 290W TDP instead of the 3070's 220W.

650 might be ok in most situations, or if you undervolt the GPU, but maybe not if your system ends up needing more power or overclocking, and the upper end 3000 cards have been known to trigger shutdowns in some PSUs (eg EVGA GA) due to high power spikes setting off protections (usually 3080s and above, although the TDP of the 3070 Ti isn't too far behind so ymmv I guess)

The AX850 is a great unit, but comes with a hefty premium iirc and that price certainly matches. Do you really need the efficiency of an 80+ Titanium for some reason? Also mostly ignore brand when it comes to PSUs, it's the OEM and build quality that matter, pretty much all brands can and have put out both great and absolute poo poo PSUs. Do look at some of the well regarded PSU tier lists for an idea of at least what to avoid.

You might be better off just getting a top tier 750 or 850W Gold for much less money. I'm in a similar position with a EVGA G2 650W and a new 3070ti, right now considering the following 850W PSUs, all high tier:

• EVGA G6 - $105-$110, currently on sale from Newegg or Amazon (EVGA now using Seasonic as the OEM for these apparently, after parting ways with Super Flower, should be good)
  • ADATA XPG CORE Reactor - ~$120, Amazon or B&H
  • Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 ARGB - $127, Amazon or Newegg
  • Fractal Design Ion Gold - ~$130, Amazon
  • Cooler Master V Gold V2 - $135, Newegg
  • Corsair RMx (2021) - $135, BB or Corsair directly
  • Super Flower Leadex III Gold - $140

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 15, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

650W is plenty for a 3070 Ti regardless of what Nvidia's recommend wattage is. They overshoot on those estimates to account for users who may have stuffed their PCs full of random extra components and overpowered CPUs. You shouldn't go out and buy a new PSU if you haven't even run into any troubles with your current one yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Personally I like to overshoot required wattage by 100W, partly to leave headroom for upgrading other equipment, partly because I figure I get better efficiency/longevity from having the PSU not working as hard.

I'm also almost pathological about wanting redundancy, and if I didn't have two old desktops sitting around with decent power supplies I'd be tempted to buy a spare just to keep on hand. I have one that's unused in the garage I think is built around an i3, and I should open it up just to inventory which parts are in there I can scavenge as needed. The other is my old desktop which serves as back-up to my main machine, so that I have a better idea about the hardware in.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Likely the single best psu tier list.

Pick from tier A and find something at the right price for you. PSUs are not the place to focus on price as your main concern, though.

lordofthefishes fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 15, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
650W is plenty with the 3070ti. I have a 5600x and a 3080 with a 600W PSU and have had no problems.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

My 5 year old PC is on its last legs. Is this:
  • AMD Ryzen 5600X (w/ CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooler)
  • Asus Prime B550M-K mobo
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB RAM (2x8GB)
  • Asus RTX 3060Ti Mini
  • Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU
  • Corsair iCUE 4000X Case
  • HDD, OS, Monitor, Peripherals, etc not included as I already have them
a half-decent gaming PC for the price (~£1275. UK prices lol)? Is the GPU OK, PCPartsPicker recommends avoiding mini cards.

Any tips on getting the price down a bit would be appreciated! I can swap the PSU for a Corsair CV650 80+ Bronze which knocks about £50 off.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

oh no computer posted:

a half-decent gaming PC for the price (~£1275. UK prices lol)? Is the GPU OK, PCPartsPicker recommends avoiding mini cards.

Any tips on getting the price down a bit would be appreciated! I can swap the PSU for a Corsair CV650 80+ Bronze which knocks about £50 off.

It's a very good PC for the price, and I wouldn't try to scrimp anymore, especially not on the PSU.

There's nothing wrong with that card and that case has good cooling so you'll be totally fine.

Just a note, when you say you have your own HDD I hope you're not being literal and aren't still using a hard disk as your primary drive. If so you absolutely need some form of SSD as your main boot drive.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 15, 2022

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

+1 for having a 650w psu (Corsair rmx gold) and 3070ti with no issue. I even ran the auto oc feature in MSI. Runs great

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

are there any PC games today which actually max out 6 physical CPU cores in benchmark tests?

like, I get that having more threads is nice, but all other things being equal, which games today actually make good use of >=6 cores or >=12 threads that can be proven in quantitative tests?

I'm kinda wondering if the i5-12400/12500/12600 (non-K) chips with 6 physical P-cores will end up being a bottleneck in any games over the next ~6 years just due to core count alone (not IPC/freq/etc). But I'm not sure if any games TODAY actually max out 6 physical cores.

is there a better thread to ask about this in?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think any CPU would struggle after six years, regardless of how many cores they possess. There are extremely few exceptions, and they are just that, exceptions. (2500K comes to mind)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think any CPU would struggle after six years, regardless of how many cores they possess. There are extremely few exceptions, and they are just that, exceptions. (2500K comes to mind)

well... I realize CPUs get better over time, yeah, which is why I phrased the question to be about core count specifically and not IPC or freq

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

pmchem posted:

I'm kinda wondering if the i5-12400/12500/12600 (non-K) chips with 6 physical P-cores will end up being a bottleneck in any games over the next ~6 years just due to core count alone (not IPC/freq/etc). But I'm not sure if any games TODAY actually max out 6 physical cores.

I think the new battlefield has issues with 6 cores if I remember correctly, but I don’t play it so can’t confirm first hand. I think this console cycle has had everything pushed back so much development wise you’ll be fine with 6 cores for the next 6ish years.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Last time I mentioned the new BF game the thread got pretty heated. I just think it's a tough game to properly and consistently benchmark. There are game modes where there are 100+ players in a small, unoptimized area of a map with explosions, tanks, helicopters, and otherwise total chaos -- and that really hammers the CPU. It's anecdotal only, but there have been plenty of people in the BF thread reporting gains from upgrading from 6 to >6. It does feel that (again anecdotally) I get better performance with my 5900x than others who have comparable specs apart from the CPU.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I think three kingdoms fucks up CPUs with low core counts.

Also don’t replace your 650w PSU unless you’re having issues. 90% you’ll be fine, and if you aren’t it won’t do any harm, you’ll just get a shutdown.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are all alder lake boards using the normal 24 pin ATX power? I'm considering just reusing my existing case and PSU since it's like 550W and I can't get a new GPU anyway.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Are all alder lake boards using the normal 24 pin ATX power? I'm considering just reusing my existing case and PSU since it's like 550W and I can't get a new GPU anyway.

Yes

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Is it just me or is PC Part Picker not as great lately? Seems like it's failing to report things as in stock/available.

Anyways I was hoping for some suggestions for a build I'm doing for my parents. At most they run chrome and excel and they're looking to retire their 8 year old OEM.

CPU: i3-10100
Mobo: whatevers cheapest in micro ATX format.
RAM: 2x4gb
Storage: WD SN550

We're also wanting to keep this cheap. I was originally going to go with a SFF mini itx build but those mobos have become unobtainable or expensive. We want something as small as possible because they're office space is a bit cramped and they're likely going to have it sitting on the desk with monitor.

So, anyone got suggestions on a small or slim case that will fit a micro atx board? Pizza box format preferred. Thanks.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Action-Bastard posted:

Is it just me or is PC Part Picker not as great lately? Seems like it's failing to report things as in stock/available.

Anyways I was hoping for some suggestions for a build I'm doing for my parents. At most they run chrome and excel and they're looking to retire their 8 year old OEM.

CPU: i3-10100
Mobo: whatevers cheapest in micro ATX format.
RAM: 2x4gb
Storage: WD SN550

We're also wanting to keep this cheap. I was originally going to go with a SFF mini itx build but those mobos have become unobtainable or expensive. We want something as small as possible because they're office space is a bit cramped and they're likely going to have it sitting on the desk with monitor.

So, anyone got suggestions on a small or slim case that will fit a micro atx board? Pizza box format preferred. Thanks.

Don’t build. By a decommissioned or refurb workstation. Then throw in more ram + an SSD. eBay, Craigslist, or local refurbisher. It’ll be significantly cheaper, and you’ll be able to get SFF easily.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Don’t build. By a decommissioned or refurb workstation. Then throw in more ram + an SSD. eBay, Craigslist, or local refurbisher. It’ll be significantly cheaper, and you’ll be able to get SFF easily.

Actually the PC they have now is one of those slim workstations. We were talking about doing a ship of theseus on it and swapping out absolutely everything but keeping the case. Are those compatible with other mobos?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
can be, can not be depends on the specific OEM and their design paradigm that day. if you were trying to build a very inexpensive machine and needed an mATX or smaller i suspect some goofy b450 ryzen setup would be easier just because there is a ridic gult of supply being promo sale'd off... you don't need pcie gen 4 and what a 3200g or something equally cheap would do wonderful.

if you're building new to get access to the nvme drive i don't really think you're getting a ton of utility of it for the use case outlined. a refurb + some new parts would probably fly better.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Action-Bastard posted:

Deskmini a300?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Action-Bastard posted:

Actually the PC they have now is one of those slim workstations. We were talking about doing a ship of theseus on it and swapping out absolutely everything but keeping the case. Are those compatible with other mobos?

They probably often use BTX standard, but it will be too hard to find such motherboard and make sure it's compatible with the current case, starting from the PSU connector. Those OEM machines may be non-standard in all kinds of ways. Just buy a similar used office PC.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Canna Happy posted:

Deskmini a300?

Not a bad idea but I'm not finding any for decent prices or they have mystery meat components. I tried showing them NUCs but they weren't interested. I think they want something "traditional".

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Action-Bastard posted:

Not a bad idea but I'm not finding any for decent prices or they have mystery meat components. I tried showing them NUCs but they weren't interested. I think they want something "traditional".

Check FB marketplace/craigslist or Woot for cheap refurbed slimline workstations. What are the current specs?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Should I be concerned that my mouse lags when selecting/hovering over certain settings in the BIOS? I don't remember it doing that before.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rinkles posted:

Should I be concerned that my mouse lags when selecting/hovering over certain settings in the BIOS? I don't remember it doing that before.

Every single UEFI bios I've ever used has done that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so if you're still looking for a gpu you might want to take a gander at this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484126&pagenumber=3043#post520739006

depending on the type of area you live this will either make things easier or worse

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
so I returned the liquid cooler I had started with on my i7-12700k in a masterbox nr600 and went with this instead, Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler (140mm, Black). Idk if it was that or filling out my case fans but my CPU temps dropped by like 20-30C

Edit;
I must have offended someone in the Bitcoin thread to get this avatar

Vashro fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 16, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vashro posted:

so I returned the liquid cooler I had started with on my i7-12700k in a masterbox nr600 and went with this instead, Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler (140mm, Black). Idk if it was that or filling out my case fans but my CPU temps dropped by like 20-30C

Edit;
I must have offended someone in the Bitcoin thread to get this avatar

Your original cooler probably just didn't make good contact - - with the noctua coolers, it's hard to gently caress up contact because their mounting system owns. Fwiw I'm using a noctua u12S which is the baby version of their cooler and my 12600k sits at 80c when pulling 150watts. (my fans ramp to 100% at 80c)

Generally during a gaming load its cool and quiet.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pricing up a pre-build intel system from Scan.co.uk and I've just found out that some standard coolers (Noctua D15 / U12S or be quiet! Dark Rock 4) don't fit the Asus Z690 and some B660 motherboards. Thought all CPU coolers were universal now.

I could pick a water cooler to go with the ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4, like the Corsair Hydro H100x, or swap the motherboard for a TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 (which is unaffected) and choose a Dark Rock 4. I could also choose a different brand of motherboad...

Interesting that a B550 / 5800X system is close to the same price as a B660 / 12700K now.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 16, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they're "universal" in that you can ask for or buy a kit with a backplate for the new chipset standard, assuming they're making them. corsair :mad:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
wondering about what the next upgrade part should be, everything is getting kinda old and outdated. at the moment i think i'm gated by my CPU, been getting into a lot of modded minecraft recently and it's absolutely murdering my CPU. then again, my GPU is also really old. it does get the job done, though, and GPUs seem very difficult to get ahold of right now.

CPU: i5-9400F
GPU: geforce gtx 1050
RAM: 16gb

any thoughts on upgrade order rn? I have around $500 to spend, but hopefully a bit less.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
for sure GPU unfortunately, I would anticipate that CPU being fine. 6 threads is a little rough but it's enough.

I say unfortunately because GPUs are still in historical cluster gently caress conditions. 500 bucks should be able to buy a huge upgrade, like at MSRP something like a 3060ti would be perfect. in reality those sell for like 800 bucks plus? it's real bad

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
yeah I have a feeling I'm gonna have to settle for like a 20 something instead of a 30, that should be doable and still not be a TON of money.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I literally do not think there is a single card from 900 onwards that doesn't sell for original RRP or much more. there's an image in the op and everything :smith:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

yeah I have a feeling I'm gonna have to settle for like a 20 something instead of a 30, that should be doable and still not be a TON of money.

Settling for a 20xx card means paying over original MSRP still, for a much shittier card.

Outside of 1050s and like other genuinely awful cards, there is literally nothing.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Just saying, if I could have found a 1050 for MSRP last year (in Canada) during my budget build, I would have bought it immediately.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
weirdly i still feel like my CPU is the bottleneck based on the way i've seen a lot of games perform, but you guys are smarter than i am so i'll take your word for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well remember its not like a static thing. the bottleneck shifts constantly depending on what the program and system are doing - drawing an absolute fuckton of PC models and effects and poo poo in an MMO is rough as gently caress on CPU as per your example.