Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

And along with the whinging from the IWantToSpeakToTheManagerOfCovid types, you also get the more passive consent manufacturing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59970281

"The only major curve ball would be a new variant that can outcompete Omicron and cause significantly more severe disease."

Surely such a thing will never happen, though

E sorry, I'm gonna stop after this, my new year's resolution was to stop relentlessly spreading negativity around. I can only plead that I'm cross and frustrated because I'm on day 17 of being sick (and it's not even covid)

:justpost: mate it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

There's a high chance they were inspired by the old BUF logo (though the bolt is different), but it just indicates that the officer is trained to use a taser.
Strong echoes of "Actually, it just stands for Sniper Squad"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Prole posted:

Ah that's ok then. Still, two problematic emblems.

They can't really remove the word police.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Suegar Gray

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Klepsie
Aug 9, 2019

What if there were no rhetorical questions?
Evenin' all!

Been a while since I was here, but Camrath (buy his fudge!) said I should come back and post this, and you don't argue with Camrath if you value your hide.

Recent political events have spurred me to pick up a parodic pen -- to misquote George Orwell, when you have a Tory on the hop, you do all you can to keep him hopping. And since I'm a bit rickety these days for marching or throwing eggs, I guess I'm just another keyboard warrior bard.

Ladies, gentlemen and other identities, I give you Philip Larkin and Noel Coward's take on Partygate:

They gently caress you up, your mum and dad,
But not as much as Tories do,
Who lie about high jinks they had,
And break the rules they force on you.

A party? Held at Downing Street?
They can’t remember when or where,
With wine to drink and food to eat,
And journos from the Sun were there —

The treachery of this foul clan
Goes deeper than the Spanish Main.
Kick the sods out, soon as you can,
And never vote for them again.

I went to a marvellous party
With the Number Ten workers and such
It was in the fresh air
And no lefties were there
So it shouldn’t vex anyone much.
Old Boris delivered a thank-you
For twenty-five minutes, I’m sure.
He told us to keep it all on the down-low,
And said that as long as he’s running the show,
There’d be plenty of cheese and a lot of Bordeaux.
I couldn’t have liked it more!

I went to a marvellous party
The day before Phil was interred.
The sun was so hot
Even though we knew what
Would come next if some fool breathed a word.
We mingled and kicked back and chatted,
We were all anything but demure.
Some press types arrived. Boris cried “I’m undone!
Why did you have to turn up and ruin the fun?”
But they said “Don’t you worry, we’re just from the Sun.”

I went to a marvellous party,
The weather was fearfully fine.
We were firmly assured
That the place was secured
Though we had to bring all our own wine.
We were all set to go on till sundown,
But there’s always one typical bore,
Who cautiously queried “Why aren’t we all masked?”
The PM jumped up and he shouted, aghast,
“Don’t talk such baloney, you haven’t been asked!”

I went to a marvellous party,
The sort that you plebs are denied.
Who cares if your mother
Or father or brother
Is dying alone, terrified?
We make these rules up for the masses,
We don’t have to follow the law.
I picked up a cough – that’s a bit of a blooper –
For several days I was not feeling super
But luckily I’ve got insurance with BUPA.
I couldn’t have needed it more!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Just when you think things can't get any worse, everyone starts doing, I dunno, poetry?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think the emblems are problematic btw, even if they do officially mean something else. I don't think any similarities to fascist logos are by accident.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm on a role fellas

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Just when you think things can't get any worse, everyone starts doing, I dunno, poetry?

We should have just shut UKMT after the Smashmouth/Ozymandias mashup

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want I can do another attempt at writing jeremy corbyn/gilbert and sullivan crossovers.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I can't find anything to corroborate that badge being a taser thing.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If you want I can do another attempt at writing jeremy corbyn/gilbert and sullivan crossovers.

I want

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I must admit I didn't know police uniforms worked like macdonalds badges now where they get little icons for what they can and can't do.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

50p!

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I Am the Very Model of a Modern Tory Minister
I party during lockdown and my motives are quite sinister
If we run out of wine we send a spad down to the co-op and
The powder on my shoulder is some of my special contraband
My children are innumerable and holed up with their nannies
At prime ministers question time we bray like proper fannies
We'd rather mouth off in the press than doing any governance
Appearing in the Epstein list is merely a coincidence

Edit: oh, you said Corbyn/Gilbert and Sullivan, poo poo. Oh well, never mind

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did post the original one I wrote in some old thread but I can't find it.

I think it was based on the mikado, "i've got a little list"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I did post the original one I wrote in some old thread but I can't find it.

I think it was based on the mikado, "i've got a little list"

Does this help you find it?

OwlFancier posted:

I literally wrote a version of I've Got A Little List about corbyn ITT.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

I bought a box of these before Christmas (at more than 50p let me tell you) and mai wife gave them away to the bloody postman (?). Please tell me they're awful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does this help you find it?

Unfortunately no but cheers, doesn't seem to come up in search alas.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

I bought a box of these before Christmas (at more than 50p let me tell you) and mai wife gave them away to the bloody postman (?). Please tell me they're awful.

To be honest I struggled to enjoy them even though I knew doing so would irritate people here. They don't work.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jakabite posted:

This is great. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like Sue Gray is suddenly someone I should know about. As if Sue Gray is, and always has been, the arbiter of right and wrong and that, of course it's a matter for Sue Gray. Who's Sue Gray? What a crazy question, it's Sue Gray of course!

Who is Sue Gray?

Three pounds of flax

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Lungboy posted:

I can't find anything to corroborate that badge being a taser thing.

Same here. I'm happy to take someone's word for it if they say they know. But it's a bit too fash for me regardless of its "actual meaning" tbh. No accident, if that's the case. And there's still the Thin Blue Line and Polish nationalist symbol.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

NotJustANumber99 posted:

To be honest I struggled to enjoy them even though I knew doing so would irritate people here. They don't work.

I tried the Mojito ones and they don't work either.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jakabite posted:

This is great. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like Sue Gray is suddenly someone I should know about. As if Sue Gray is, and always has been, the arbiter of right and wrong and that, of course it's a matter for Sue Gray. Who's Sue Gray? What a crazy question, it's Sue Gray of course!

Sue Gray bit and run.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Who is Sue Gray?
a miserable pile of secrets?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Help me Sue Gray, you're my only hope.

It's a reference to the 1976 movie Star Wars, starring Kenny Baker as Darth 'Sue-Gray' Kenobi.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I appreciate your honesty.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.twitter.com/LauraAmalasunta/status/1482279774781427715

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

now I imagine that glinner makes the nazgul noise a lot

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I also dunno poetry.

Animation, animation.
Is really hard, and takes ages.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

For twelve days, you have been asking: Who is Sue Gray? This is Sue Gray speaking. I am the woman who loves her life. I am the woman who does not sacrifice her love or her values. I am the woman who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing—you who dread knowledge—I am the woman who will now tell you.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Just Another Lurker posted:

As for the masks i'm very happy to keep wearing them, my normal resting face looks very dour & depressing so i usually have to keep a slight smile on all.. the.... bloody... time so as not to give the impression i'm angry at everyone else (it tended to affect coworkers in the past).

yeah i know what you mean m8, pictured: literally me (before covid)

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I am Sue Gray, hear me roar.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We live in an age when men treat art as if it were meant to be a form of autobiography. We have lost the abstract sense of beauty. Some day I will show the world what it is; and for that reason the world shall never see my portrait of Susan Gray.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I wish boris would leave

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

We live in an age when men treat truth as if it were meant to be a form of autobiography. We have lost the abstract sense of honesty. Some day I will show the world what it is; and for that reason the world shall never see my report by Susan Gray. But we shall await for its findings.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I feel like either I or the rest of the thread have taken a big knock to the head because it's all a bit hard to parse.

Anyway, currently reading Marching to the Fault Line – The Miners’ Strike 1984-5. Mostly I'm learning how ignorant I am of everything but the bigger picture stuff, which I think is excusable considering when the strikes started I was months yet from popping into the world.

Anyway, authors are far from flattering about Scargill but it's kind of hard to disagree as there were some loving terrible blunders. But most importantly the book is a super easy read. Not done with it yet but worth a look if such a topic interests.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

"Your mysterious young friend, whose name you have never told me, but whose picture really fascinates me, never thinks. I feel quite sure of that. She is some brainless beautiful creature who should be always here in winter when we have no flowers to look at, and always here in summer when we want something to chill our intelligence. Don’t flatter yourself, Basil: you are not in the least like him.”

“You don’t understand me, Harry,” answered the artist. “Of course I am not like her. I know that perfectly well. Indeed, I should be sorry to look like her. You shrug your shoulders? I am telling you the truth. There is a fatality about all physical and intellectual distinction, the sort of fatality that seems to dog through history the faltering steps of kings. It is better not to be different from one’s fellows. The ugly and the stupid have the best of it in this world. They can sit at their ease and gape at the play. If they know nothing of victory, they are at least spared the knowledge of defeat. They live as we all should live—undisturbed, indifferent, and without disquiet. They neither bring ruin upon others, nor ever receive it from alien hands. Your rank and wealth, Harry; my brains, such as they are—my art, whatever it may be worth; Sue Gray’s good looks—we shall all suffer for what the gods have given us, suffer terribly.”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

work event? Hmmm, the AIs are in on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Anyway, authors are far from flattering about Scargill but it's kind of hard to disagree as there were some loving terrible blunders. But most importantly the book is a super easy read. Not done with it yet but worth a look if such a topic interests.
He talked an awful load of shite about coal too. I know you won't get someone to understand something when their paycheck depends on not and all that, but it was not uncommon to get Arthur saying "clean coal is the safest form of power and every child within 20 miles of a nuclear power station got leukaemia" one day and then Anne saying "remember to donate to the miners' raffle for supporting all the miners who got black lung or lost fingers" the next.

Not as bad as all the "Thatcher was an environmentalist for closing the pits" takes, but they'd need to close at some point, just not in the community crushing way they did.