Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I wish the people in Washington that are pissed about their lovely ski resort situation(s) would stay the gently caress there and put some pressure on their resorts to unfuck themselves instead of coming to Oregon and complaining about how bad the lines and traffic are here.

Getting real old listening to people bitch about that stuff on lifts. That said I have yet to see someone using the new FastTracks line that hasn't gotten booed by the rest of the lift maze, I hope that energy continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I would think not continuing to give a resort money for being bad would be the best pressure to exert, but I also dont think too many people are commuting 4+ hours to do so outside of a weekend vacation trip

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

That said I have yet to see someone using the new FastTracks line that hasn't gotten booed by the rest of the lift maze, I hope that energy continues.
This is the kind of energy I like to see.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Core shots make my sad. Looks good and fixable at least.

Was real pretty out though.

E:

Need some of the tools I have at home but basically good as used for now.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 16, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

positive news from pcpspa

https://twitter.com/zak_podmore/status/1482483998542622722

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Ahhhh, hell yea! Fuckin a

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

did they get health insurance

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SeaborneClink posted:

I wish the people in Washington that are pissed about their lovely ski resort situation(s) would stay the gently caress there and put some pressure on their resorts to unfuck themselves instead of coming to Oregon and complaining about how bad the lines and traffic are here.

Getting real old listening to people bitch about that stuff on lifts. That said I have yet to see someone using the new FastTracks line that hasn't gotten booed by the rest of the lift maze, I hope that energy continues.

Are you at Bachelor? I hear they are down one of the lifts indefinitely? That has got to hurt the line situation. Also super gently caress FastTracks.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It pleases me greatly that fast track users are getting booed. Ski resorts did not invent the idea but it such an abhorrent concept, to me.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Made my first turns since March 2020 today, there might have been 5 of them total. Pulled into the main lot at meadows at 7 and was still 10 or 12 rows back.

Comp went well. It was high 30s and partly cloudy. Found some freshman parents that are super hyped so I’m real excited to see what they do with everything next year. Driving back up for slopestyle tomorrow. Should be another great day to stand on the mountain.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Brought my skis in today to get waxed and sharpened. Excited to go out next weekend for the first time in 2 years

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

Made my first turns since March 2020 today, there might have been 5 of them total. Pulled into the main lot at meadows at 7 and was still 10 or 12 rows back.

Comp went well. It was high 30s and partly cloudy. Found some freshman parents that are super hyped so I’m real excited to see what they do with everything next year. Driving back up for slopestyle tomorrow. Should be another great day to stand on the mountain.

Since I work every Saturday I like to check the conditions at Meadows to see what the weekend will be like. Last weekend I think they had main lot filled by 8:45 but got parked out before noon. Today it seemed odd because they appeared to be full at main lot at 8:15 but never got parked out. I wonder if them stopping selling some of the passes had any impact?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Since I work every Saturday I like to check the conditions at Meadows to see what the weekend will be like. Last weekend I think they had main lot filled by 8:45 but got parked out before noon. Today it seemed odd because they appeared to be full at main lot at 8:15 but never got parked out. I wonder if them stopping selling some of the passes had any impact?

Two words: ikon blackout.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Alpine got wind blasted last night making our first run today a bit wind slaby. Kept working our way around the area though and found some really nice tuns. Thought we were going to have to hike the highway about a 1/2mile but someone did an almost perfect contour that we cruised on right back to the car.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

:whitewater:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Hell yeah

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Let's focus on what's really important: keeping my leggies warm. I need to replace the circa-2001 Hot Chillys longjohns I've been scraping by with, and looking around I'm frankly appalled at what these baselayers are going for these days. Do I really need to spend $130+ for a single pair of merino leggings from Icebreaker or Smartwool? Has skiing become such a bougie sport that we're pricing out people without an underwear budget now?

I've been looking at some of the Uniqlo Heatech stuff - it's synthetic, so would have to be more diligent about washing it then if I shelled out for wool gear, but at around $30 for the "ultra heat" stuff I can literally get four times as much kit and still be ahead. Anyone have any opinions on it as midweight baselayer? I'll mention that I've already got some army surplus fleece/quilted liner pants in the mix for real cold days.

Please help, the warmth of my knees depends on it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

dieselfruit posted:

Let's focus on what's really important: keeping my leggies warm. I need to replace the circa-2001 Hot Chillys longjohns I've been scraping by with, and looking around I'm frankly appalled at what these baselayers are going for these days. Do I really need to spend $130+ for a single pair of merino leggings from Icebreaker or Smartwool? Has skiing become such a bougie sport that we're pricing out people without an underwear budget now?

I've been looking at some of the Uniqlo Heatech stuff - it's synthetic, so would have to be more diligent about washing it then if I shelled out for wool gear, but at around $30 for the "ultra heat" stuff I can literally get four times as much kit and still be ahead. Anyone have any opinions on it as midweight baselayer? I'll mention that I've already got some army surplus fleece/quilted liner pants in the mix for real cold days.

The cost of ski gear is insane, but smartwool is almost always on sale. Here it is for $70, or they have the lighter weight for I think $60. https://www.steepandcheap.com/smartwool-midweight-bottom-mens

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I’ve used the Uniqlo heat tech stuff it’ll keep you warm.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Took my first ever non rental skis out for the first time today. Took me a bit to get my legs back, plus I think they are longer than the rentals I would usually get, but it went great. My friend and I went out of bounds for a bit and he showed me the basics of backcountry touring, in a pretty low stakes way... we basically skinned up through some woods to another route. I was a little afraid to ski down through trees / off groom, but I managed to do it through a few short patches and I think I can try a lot more confidently next time.

Gorgeous day too, and I have now discovered that Willamette Pass is way more chill than Bachelor and still plenty of fun for someone of my level

highme
May 25, 2001

dieselfruit posted:

Go to your nearest Ross/TJMaxx/Marshalls and buy a couple of sets of Hot Chillys. Use that $100 in savings for a couple of loads of laundry.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

dieselfruit posted:

Do I really need to spend $130+ for a single pair of merino leggings from Icebreaker or Smartwool? Has skiing become such a bougie sport that we're pricing out people without an underwear budget now?

Here are some Smartwool 3/4 bottoms for 50 bucks, good luck out there

https://www.backcountry.com/smartwo...WVyIGJvdHRvbXM=

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

dieselfruit posted:

https://www.taigaworks.com/collections/merino-wool-underwear/products/merino-200-long-johns-mens?variant=2055575240735

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I find the Le bent bamboo stuff pretty decent but i also mostly ski around 0-5c

I got some Mons Royale 3/4 johns and they lasted me 10 years so I got another pair the same.

Wool does feel nicer to me at least.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You definitely want merino base layers rather than synthetic both from a warmth and smell perspective. As long as you don't get holes in them they last for years.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 17, 2022

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

highme posted:

That's great. Our alpine ski race program is back on track and we're looking to add both snowboarding and freestyle skiing to the team in future seasons. There a lot of planning to do before then and I'll probably be bugging you with questions.

I got a little riding in but mostly spent the holiday weekend on administrative stuff at the resort. Since the race team works with resort management, we're on the same radios as them and I got to hear the holiday chatter of police and EMS calls and various other stuff. The resort was so busy people were triple parking and blocking each other in. Then the blocked people would call 911 and the police would call the resort. Had a bunch of patrol/EMS calls. One visiting skier was on the race trail near the team and went into a snowgun crotch first at speed knocking himself out I think. At one point we had to close the doors of the race room because the pot smoke was getting too heavy (from the lift lines) and then we had to open them again because one of our U10s light her lunch on fire in the microwave God I love ski season.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 17, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ironlung posted:

Here are some Smartwool 3/4 bottoms for 50 bucks, good luck out there

https://www.backcountry.com/smartwo...WVyIGJvdHRvbXM=

Counterpoint: don't ever give a single dollar to Backcountry, gently caress them

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Backcountry is a great place to go try on gear and then buy from somewhere else though (if you live in a city with a Backcountry retail warehouse).

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Counterpoint: don't ever give a single dollar to Backcountry, gently caress them

Are we still mad because they tried to sue other brands with "Backcountry" in their name or did they do something else now

If so the SAC link a few posts above mine is also out because they're owned by bc.com as well

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ironlung posted:

Are we still mad because they tried to sue other brands with "Backcountry" in their name or did they do something else now

If so the SAC link a few posts above mine is also out because they're owned by bc.com as well

Yes, they also promised to make it right after that and then failed to do so in a number of cases. Classic PR moves. gently caress them.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

knox_harrington posted:

You definitely want merino base layers rather than synthetic both from a warmth and smell perspective. As long as you don't get holes in them they last for years.

I prefer wool but synthetic work just fine, most of my stuff is synthetic actually. If you are just going a few times a year and not for a long week at a time situation they are fine.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spwrozek posted:

I prefer wool but synthetic work just fine, most of my stuff is synthetic actually. If you are just going a few times a year and not for a long week at a time situation they are fine.
My main complaint about synthetics is that they seem to trap smell so much worse than merino.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Yuns posted:

My main complaint about synthetics is that they seem to trap smell so much worse than merino.

This is definitely true, but is only an issue when I take trips and can't easily wash. If you can wash them frequently then I don't think it matters though maybe they won't last as long as wool due to the washing.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

This is good value but isn’t Taiga the brand Nate Fielder called out as being owned by a holocaust denier?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Suicide Watch posted:

This is good value but isn’t Taiga the brand Nate Fielder called out as being owned by a holocaust denier?

All these assholes really make it hard to shop for stuff anymore.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Thanks all for the suggestions. To complicate things I'm in Canada, which has even fewer retail options in general and throws a premium on anything coming up from the states. I found this top/bottom set from Mountain Warehouse that's a 50/50 wool/poly blend, which is probably an okay compromise, and would ship locally. Comes out to $72 a set after all the discounts which would allow me to get a couple sets. Not especially steezy but the goal is unfrozen thighs so whatever.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ironlung posted:

Im not really across it but they also started some brand in conjunction with Shaun White in an effort to increase inclusiveness/diversity in winter sports.

they called it "White Space"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Laserface posted:

Im not really across it but they also started some brand in conjunction with Shaun White in an effort to increase inclusiveness/diversity in winter sports.

they called it "White Space"

That's a real yikes on bikes right there.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are you at Bachelor? I hear they are down one of the lifts indefinitely? That has got to hurt the line situation. Also super gently caress FastTracks.

Yeah Bachelor. Skyliner is turbofucked and they flew a team in from Doppelmayr to tell them it was turbofucked and they'd need to custom machine replacement parts.

This lift served basically all of race dev and 80% of the terrain parks on the mountain so they're moving all the parks to other places on the mountain and cannibalizing runs, which... Cool for people that like park but it's seriously taking away another 4-5 runs from general use so, ugh.

Fake edit: the beginner terrain parks are served by another double lift that iirc hasn't even opened this year and is "down for maintenance" as well. Who knows what the gently caress is going on there.

I'm a bit grumpy as my girlfriend is learning to ski this year and terrain progression wise, the few blue runs off the turbofucked quad would be the next logical step for her, but they're not available. Hard to throw her into the deep end and say "good luck, sorry the beginner terrain here sucks!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

You know what Bachelor really doesn’t need? Parks before March 1st.