Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Riot Bimbo posted:

ThAtS nO vOlCaNo

https://twitter.com/FirstName__Last/status/1482259089682018304?t=kE7o7z4BkFvMiCuJ2ScArA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Do we have video of any comparatively violent volcanic eruptions bc my mind is hollering bullshit big time and i need something to tell it to stfu because right now id believe we detonated some exotic weapon over that and i fundamentally know that's silly as gently caress

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

Do we have video of any comparatively violent volcanic eruptions bc my mind is hollering bullshit big time and i need something to tell it to stfu because right now id believe we detonated some exotic weapon over that and i fundamentally know that's silly as gently caress

Comparable how? I'm not aware of any similar satellite footage, but there's videos of explosive eruptions from a more terrestrial viewpoint and they look similar. If it's the size of the explosion throwing you, there's also plenty of historical evidence (both modern and geological) of eruptions that can be measured in "number of nuclear bombs." Volcanoes are scary. I shoulda been a volcanologist.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

fanfic insert posted:

Possible mass sighting in Sweden last night.( https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/uppsala/stor-dronare-flog-over-forsmark-polisen-utreder-brott It's been updated a bunch of times since I posted so I'll just leave the url. )

There was a """""""drone"""""""" spotted at ALL FOUR Nuclear power plants simultaneously! The guard who spotted it at Forsmark described it as "large enough to withstand the wind". The other 3 are by police described as "some kind of object".

There was a storm last night and crazy windy.

They chased it with a helicopter for an hour and twenty minutes and then it disappeared.

gently caress it its to much just use your favorite translator on it.

These incidents that involve nuclear sites are always really interesting to me

Here's a new Somewhere in the Skies episode, with a former air force dude who saw an orb floating around a nuclear weapons site at Whiteman air force base (lol what a name :heritage:), Missouri, in 2004:

https://youtu.be/PGLTqbDP1JU

do the birds like the nukes or are they scared of them? or perhaps the nukes are like interdimensional magnets, that attract quantum energy balls, which is where Psionic Intelligent Star Stuff (PISS) is stored

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

Unless the entirety of Tonga and it's people are a false flag I think you can assume it's a real volcano dude

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Riot Bimbo posted:

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/typhoon-generates-disperse-ash-cloud-mount-pinatubo-philippines

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

quote:

After being relatively inactive since 2014,[1] the Hunga Tonga volcano erupted on 20 December 2021, sending particulates into the stratosphere, and a large plume of ash that was visible from Nuku'alofa, the capital city of Tonga (about 70 km from the volcano).[2] The Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) in Wellington, New Zealand, issued an advisory notice to airlines.[3] Explosions were heard up to 170 kilometres (110 mi) away.[4] This initial eruption ended at 02:00 on 21 December.[2] Volcanic activity continued, and on 25 December, the island had increased in size on satellite imagery.[5] As activity on the island decreased it was declared dormant on 11 January 2022.[

oops

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I was living in Toronto that year and summer never really arrived because of the ash in the atmosphere

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

fuckin thank you lmao

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Yeah, I feel like this thing is way too large to have been a weapon. Only nature can cook up something this wild, imo.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

P'niti doomsday weapon has been unleashed

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

do the birds like the nukes or are they scared of them? or perhaps the nukes are like interdimensional magnets, that attract quantum energy balls, which is where Psionic Intelligent Star Stuff (PISS) is stored

Guessing a little of column A, little of column B. Not only are reactors and fission weapons probably the most attractive research targets if they're trying to get new data on us, but they are too a possible threat that can allegedly disrupt warp bubbles?? If i was a bird scientist doing xenology or whatever on the humans I'd want to have the up-to-date scoop on what energy generation methods they're getting into, and on how bad they can gently caress up one of my research probes if they pop one off

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

my bony fealty posted:

P'niti doomsday weapon has been unleashed

thots and rayerss

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dogthing posted:

Guessing a little of column A, little of column B. Not only are reactors and fission weapons probably the most attractive research targets if they're trying to get new data on us, but they are too a possible threat that can allegedly disrupt warp bubbles?? If i was a bird scientist doing xenology or whatever on the humans I'd want to have the up-to-date scoop on what energy generation methods they're getting into, and on how bad they can gently caress up one of my research probes if they pop one off

My 100% sincere belief on this: bird technology and human technology prior to the younger dryas operates on principles we are unaware of (psi, unknown physics, magic idk). The YD caused a dark age we are still living in. Fossil fuel use and nuclear plants and weapons have led us up a technological blind alley nobody has been dumb enough to explore before. This leads to tremendously novel research and cultural content; maybe the birds have never needed to investigate fission because they've had superior alternative methods from the start, they're marveling at our nuke plants like the tripods looking at wheels in war of the worlds. Just the really novel strange things savages get up to when they don't know any better.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
What if they are looking for / hunting each other (different types of UFOs representing different groups) and we stumbled upon the ability to "call them" with our anti neutrinos or whatnot but it's how they seek, identify, and destroy their enemies

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

500excf type r posted:

What if they are looking for / hunting each other (different types of UFOs representing different groups) and we stumbled upon the ability to "call them" with our anti neutrinos or whatnot but it's how they seek, identify, and destroy their enemies

alright, time to light up some reticulans boys! *warp jump to 1 km from nuclear reactor with full broadside prepped*

captain, it's...it's just a bunch of apes boiling water

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Slavvy posted:

My 100% sincere belief on this: bird technology and human technology prior to the younger dryas operates on principles we are unaware of (psi, unknown physics, magic idk). The YD caused a dark age we are still living in. Fossil fuel use and nuclear plants and weapons have led us up a technological blind alley nobody has been dumb enough to explore before. This leads to tremendously novel research and cultural content; maybe the birds have never needed to investigate fission because they've had superior alternative methods from the start, they're marveling at our nuke plants like the tripods looking at wheels in war of the worlds. Just the really novel strange things savages get up to when they don't know any better.

i'm willing to believe there's some major missing piece in our current understanding of science in general, and it could well be that our tech is particularly idiosyncratic because of it. There could be a variety of really wild lost earth civs and poo poo crazy poo poo like that that are just missing from history, even.

I'll believe the finno-korean hyperwar tier bullshit when something credible is recovered. Atlantis was always a thought experiment and there never was a Lemuria. Psi or whatever could be real but I believes it when I sees it.

The path not taken could be a real thing -- because each part of our tech and culture builds upon the previous layers, not getting some certain thing early on means you're gonna wildly diverge. We won't know until we find the hypothetical missing piece which may or may not exist, or until we make contact with someone who has.

Jazerus posted:

captain, it's...it's just a bunch of apes boiling water

I read some poo poo a long time ago about this concept that using our reactors to spin turbines is crap tier and it is actually plausible and more effective to directly shove electrons around, but i don't remember exactly how it's supposed to work. I think it's supposedly possible to set it up so that a particle stream or whatever beams down alongside some conductor and they become coupled? Or maybe it's instead of fission it's a non-tokamak fusion system in this linear setup that bombards a grid? Idk like a fusor but the geometry is radically different and pushes output above unity?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1482494444427366400

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I thought i was alone

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

go away

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

posting dril tweets to own my posting enemies

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i'm willing to believe there's some major missing piece in our current understanding of science in general, and it could well be that our tech is particularly idiosyncratic because of it. There could be a variety of really wild lost earth civs and poo poo crazy poo poo like that that are just missing from history, even.

The path not taken could be a real thing -- because each part of our tech and culture builds upon the previous layers, not getting some certain thing early on means you're gonna wildly diverge. We won't know until we find the hypothetical missing piece which may or may not exist, or until we make contact with someone who has.

The current nature of science is dogmatic to the extreme. It reinforces itself aggressively, generates a field of reality through sheer institutional inertia.

This blinds the species to any road not taken, there is no other way than unified field physics, only by smashing smaller and smaller potentially imaginary particles at higher and higher energy expenditures can we know the truth. This must be true, because we have wasted trillions of dollars and untold spans of entire careers pursuing it. There is no other option, there is only science-as-religion, spiralling deeper and deeper into its navel until the lights go out for good.

The other path could be staring us in the face, every day, we'd never know because we're indoctrinated from birth as a society as to what is "real" science and what is "crank" science. Veer too far towards the fringe, threaten the narrative a little too much, and you're either cut off from research funding and academic circles for life, or blackbagged into working at DARPA.

If you live in a society where you are taught for generations that spoons do not exist, have never existed, could not possibly exist, reinforced with violence, would you even see one if you found it in the wild? Or would your brain edit it out as the mundane.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ha, this guy simulated an eruption from the same volcano a few weeks ago

https://twitter.com/Pslavi/status/1482476367426256896?t=3DjvGaFV1N8XzLudf9_J2Q&s=19

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Rime posted:

The current nature of science is dogmatic to the extreme. It reinforces itself aggressively, generates a field of reality through sheer institutional inertia.

This blinds the species to any road not taken, there is no other way than unified field physics, only by smashing smaller and smaller potentially imaginary particles at higher and higher energy expenditures can we know the truth. This must be true, because we have wasted trillions of dollars and untold spans of entire careers pursuing it. There is no other option, there is only science-as-religion, spiralling deeper and deeper into its navel until the lights go out for good.

The other path could be staring us in the face, every day, we'd never know because we're indoctrinated from birth as a society as to what is "real" science and what is "crank" science. Veer too far towards the fringe, threaten the narrative a little too much, and you're either cut off from research funding and academic circles for life, or blackbagged into working at DARPA.

If you live in a society where you are taught for generations that spoons do not exist, have never existed, could not possibly exist, reinforced with violence, would you even see one if you found it in the wild? Or would your brain edit it out as the mundane.

theres also vested interests inhibiting development along some lines while doggedly forcing research down quite narrow, proven to be profit generating lines

its a diabolical combination really of the sheer weight of capital on the one side partnered with strictly gatekept and conservative academic leanings

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rime posted:

'Spoons' what nonsense that is clearly a stylized miniature shovel made for ceremonial purposes

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Riot Bimbo posted:

posting dril tweets to own my posting enemies

lmao

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

congrats on accidentally making a good post in this thread

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Slavvy posted:

OK.

I'll believe the finno-korean hyperwar tier bullshit when something credible is recovered. Atlantis was always a thought experiment and there never was a Lemuria. Psi or whatever could be real but I believes it when I sees it.

I read some poo poo a long time ago about this concept that using our reactors to spin turbines is crap tier and it is actually plausible and more effective to directly shove electrons around, but i don't remember exactly how it's supposed to work. I think it's supposedly possible to set it up so that a particle stream or whatever beams down alongside some conductor and they become coupled? Or maybe it's instead of fission it's a non-tokamak fusion system in this linear setup that bombards a grid? Idk like a fusor but the geometry is radically different and pushes output above unity?
Seems reasonable.

Rime posted:

Nah.

I mean people take the path less travelled all the time. Hell, I've decided after listening to Buddhist dude debate Sean Carroll to meditate and pathwork again. But the proof is in the results and the grants will follow. Its not like Loeb is lacking cash at this point but it will quickly dry up without results.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Or it could be sophons blocking our research until the fleet arrives :tinfoil:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/PillsAreFood/status/1482491014694637568?t=03rcWo6ieBQZHO7HCngbeA&s=19

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

lol almost got me

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

gasp-realization-cackle

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

OK.

Seems reasonable.

Nah.

I mean people take the path less travelled all the time. Hell, I've decided after listening to Buddhist dude debate Sean Carroll to meditate and pathwork again. But the proof is in the results and the grants will follow. Its not like Loeb is lacking cash at this point but it will quickly dry up without results.

Lol if you think science is a functional institution and not as corrupt and dysfunctional as everything else

Also 'results' = 'potential for profitablity' hth

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

Hey yall on the hemisync thing, request?

Try to document behavior and personality changes, and if you are familiar with disassociation, note any worsening of symptoms?

about 20+ years or more ago i started playing around with hemisync stuff, mostly because i'd been having a lot really vivid and interesting dreams, and i wanted to have more control over that. the 'dream-world' of mine had been becoming more and more persistent and consistent, in terms of geography, denizens, and time-line, and i wanted to see if i could get lucid control in that locale.

i stuck with the hemisync stuff off and on for a few weeks but it didn't seem to do anything noticeable, really, until i guess something clicked and i had a Bad Experience.

so be careful out/in there!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Lol if you think science is a functional institution and not as corrupt and dysfunctional as everything else
Science is a way of approaching the world and learning things about it. Your axe to grind is more academia, and maybe you are right there, but it depends too.

quote:

Also 'results' = 'potential for profitablity' hth

Not correct in the general, although certainly in some cases and "knowledge transfer" is buzzword through around more and more. In this instance though results means demonstrating a predictable outcome in the physical world. If I could demonstrate an ability to bend spoons with my mind then you can depend on people wanting to know why and throwing money at the project. I'll accept that might be the wrong metric but I work in the sphere, and I know intimately how funding operates. Not everything is a conspiracy of capital. Of course I'm not in the US system but that underscores that the US is just one country.

I'd finish with a hth too but I think its far to snide and dismissive for the bird thread.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

even in the US basic science funding is not really beholden to capital in the way some of you believe it is

it is beholden to the stupid fuckers in congress and deeply underfunded (we could have 5-10x the current number of academics and labs if the funding was allocated just with the people who currently have science PhDs and can't get their own lab thru academia or industry) but the only time i really feel this thread has conspiratorial ufology vibes is when posters start going off about science without understanding the actual problems with it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

There's a bunch of cool visualizations of the volcano here

https://twitter.com/ChurchillWx/status/1482278417466736651?t=zKcBqEIA56uJrDe5cnj5Sg&s=19

Is there a better thread to post these in, I just started throwing them in here because I was astral projecting some weed into my spectral self

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What if the birds are just some sort of extra-dimensional lifeform that requires a nuclear source to reproduce and they are just horny animals showing up to get their gently caress on and leaving with blue plasma balls?

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Slavvy posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have any tantalizing reading/watching on lost civilizations?

Inspector Hound posted:

There's a bunch of cool visualizations of the volcano here

https://twitter.com/ChurchillWx/status/1482278417466736651?t=zKcBqEIA56uJrDe5cnj5Sg&s=19

Is there a better thread to post these in, I just started throwing them in here because I was astral projecting some weed into my spectral self
check out the weather thread, they've been talking about it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868390&pagenumber=508#lastpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Sextro posted:

I got a busy signal, then a magic eight ball telling me to ask again later

gotta say that’s a first.

lol

you gotta reveal it, for poisonpill and the lurkers