Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

work event? Hmmm, the AIs are in on it!

Which site are you using for this? I tried to make a gbs ai art thread but it failed miserably because we crashed it instantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

jiggerypokery posted:

Which site are you using for this? I tried to make a gbs ai art thread but it failed miserably because we crashed it instantly

https://pixray.gob.io/text2image/

But it gets pretty overloaded, you find yourself in a queue a lot. Not an expert.

edit. Lol

theres literally a later version linked on that site: https://replicate.com/pixray/text2image

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Prole posted:

Same here. I'm happy to take someone's word for it if they say they know. But it's a bit too fash for me regardless of its "actual meaning" tbh. No accident, if that's the case. And there's still the Thin Blue Line and Polish nationalist symbol.

The symbol is closer to the Taser company logo than the BFU so i'm leaning towards it being official.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Giles, Mr Coren sir, this is a Wendy's
https://twitter.com/Nadine_Writes/status/1482457675208212483

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Swing sets on fire off the shoulder of the cabinet office. I've seen... cocaine shimmering near the Downing Street gate. All of these... moments. Lost, in time...until Sue Gray reveals the outcome of her investigations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am torn between the notion that white culture being destroyed by eating the terrible black fried chicken being possibly the stupidest thing I have read in at least two weeks, and the notion that I can destroy the white race by eating fried chicken giving me a passable excuse to eat more of it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Can’t believe the gall of an English person accusing a foreign cuisine based around fried food of introducing sloth and degradation to the UK…

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

He talked an awful load of shite about coal too. I know you won't get someone to understand something when their paycheck depends on not and all that, but it was not uncommon to get Arthur saying "clean coal is the safest form of power and every child within 20 miles of a nuclear power station got leukaemia" one day and then Anne saying "remember to donate to the miners' raffle for supporting all the miners who got black lung or lost fingers" the next.

Not as bad as all the "Thatcher was an environmentalist for closing the pits" takes, but they'd need to close at some point, just not in the community crushing way they did.

Yeah, there's an interesting alternative history in what happens with the mines if the miner's won that strike. Which, to be clear, they needed to for the same of the trade union movement, but brushing that aside the mines closing was inevitable and whenever it happened it'd be a loving devastating blow for the communities with coalfields.

Undoubtedly it could have been done better and way more support for those areas. Ah but for the Argentines invading the Falklands...

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
A very staid, very button-down, very corporate-type colleague of mine, around 20 years ago, confided offhand that she had been at a dinner party the previous weekend, that included Giles Coren.

Hmm? sez I, not overly interested, just being polite really.

Her verdict, unasked-for, but she just had to get it out, she was so incensed, verbatim: "An utter oval office."

(Sorry, no deets.)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is it just me or are we halfway through January without a major snow day?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Me, every day for the rest of my life: is it just me or is the climate a bit different

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

No.

Well I mean define major. The A9 was shut south of Inverness a couple weeks ago. There was snow lying at sea level.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Dabir posted:

Yeah, barely been below freezing at all.

Just goes to show, all those doomers fretting over the gulf stream dying were talking a load of shite.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The past few years, every time it's snowed here I can't help wondering if it's the last one I'll ever see and I just don't know it yet.

Really hope we get one soon.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I thought fried chicken was a Jewish diaspora cuisine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had the vague idea that southern fried chicken was, like barbeque, largely derived from recipes made by enslaved people in the american south, but I can't remember where I got that idea from exactly.

There were apparently recipes in england for it from at least the 18th century, though not quite US style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsyjNef2ydQ

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Last year it didn't come down heavily until late January but at least we had something in December. I'm probably worrying about nothing but I really hope we get some soon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We went a lot of years with minimal snow when I was a kid, it does just vary.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We weren't teetering on the line between climate disaster and climate collapse when we were kids though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but I don't think the specific presence or absence of snow signifies very much on its own, and whether or not we see snow does not determine how doomed or not we all are, so I don't really pay it much thought.

Sometimes you get snow, sometimes you don't, a couple of years ago we got buckets of it in march, it varies. A year without much snow isn't unusual in my lifetime. I don't think I saw proper snow at all between the ages of maybe four and... ten or twelve?

If anything I would suggest the big volcano that went bang in the pacific might mean colder temperatures in the immediate term, depending on how much dust it puts into the atmosphere, which is an entirely different kind of climatological problem that causes famines and poo poo.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 16, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's just a stupid dividing line I draw in my head I guess. It's symbolic.

Last year, the spiderweb on the outside of my window froze in the first week of January. I got some pretty good photos, I think.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

jaete posted:

yeah i know what you mean m8, pictured: literally me (before covid)

The gently caress are you doing in the UKMT, I ask, from the shores of The Lake, and slowly transforming into :ironicat:.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

Last year, the spiderweb on the outside of my window froze in the first week of January. I got some pretty good photos, I think.

You call that a web? Spider should be loving ashamed of himself

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably started and then said bugger that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but I don't think the specific presence or absence of snow signifies very much on its own, and whether or not we see snow does not determine how doomed or not we all are, so I don't really pay it much thought.

Sometimes you get snow, sometimes you don't, a couple of years ago we got buckets of it in march, it varies. A year without much snow isn't unusual in my lifetime. I don't think I saw proper snow at all between the ages of maybe four and... ten or twelve?

If anything I would suggest the big volcano that went bang in the pacific might mean colder temperatures in the immediate term, depending on how much dust it puts into the atmosphere, which is an entirely different kind of climatological problem that causes famines and poo poo.

Something I've found interesting is wind speed. I cycle a lot so I've always got an eye on the weather and wind speed/direction since that determines a lot of my routes. If I think back to 2014/15 I can remember regularly having days in the summer of wind speeds under 10mph, even a few under 5mph. The summer for the past few years has usually been 10+, normally in the 15-18mph area.

Total anecdote but it is something I've noticed. That and I don't need my winter kit outside of January and February now.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Who is Sue Gray?

Three pounds of flax

Right on the chin

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

OwlFancier posted:

Probably started and then said bugger that.

Poor English spider didn't stand a chance after being introduced to the cuisine of the Dark Continent

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You call that a web? Spider should be loving ashamed of himself

Bigger than any web I've ever seen you spin :colbert:

A year ago today there was heavy snowfall round where I live:

And today there's freezing fog. So sometimes it's a case of local climate, sometimes it's just whether the meteorological stars align.

e: yes, the snow was so heavy it caused everything to rotate 90 degrees

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 16, 2022

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The big brains at the Observer are stunned to learn that an internal government inquiry has a scope so limited that it is unlikely to conclude anything of value.

Just wait until legendary troubleshooter Sue Gray hears about this procedural injustice, she will surely be aghast

Concerns grow that scale of ‘partygate’ is now too great for Sue Gray’s inquiry

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Dabir posted:

what have you been giving them

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Amazing that waiting for a report is somehow sorry of acceptable. Very strong leadership to wait for the headmistress to decide if you did something wrong.

Looking forward to the media being very proud of themselves for getting rid of Johnson and replacing him with someone who definitely wouldn't have led us through the pandemic in a disastrous fashion.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol at the tennis man

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Finally Andy can win the AO.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's the perfect damage control and it annoys me that they get away with it.

*something untoward happens, questions are asked*

"I'm shocked to learn that this has happened but I can assure everyone that no laws were broken and the proper procedures were followed, and the matter is being investigated"

*questions keep getting asked*

"I can't comment until the investigation concludes"

*investigation finds no wrong doing, further questions are asked*

"~ the matter is settled ~"

Can't wait for step #3 myself.

E: and this is exactly how corbyn should have handled the antisemitism bollocks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

domhal posted:

Finally Andy can win the AO.

If he wins it aged 34 and from outside the top 128 it would be an incredible achievement.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
It's an interesting example of cultural osmosis/selection bias when people (outside of Scotland and the higher parts of England and Wales) are surprised by a lack of snow in December and early January. Seasons in the British Isles are like a month or more behind those on big landmasses because of the Gulf Stream - white christmases have always been the exception rather than the rule *even in areas that see a lot of snow*. Almost all of the worst, country-shutting-down snowfall has come in January and February, sometimes even in March and April.

We just all believe that snow comes in December because Prince Albert and Bing Crosby, both born in the middle of massive, cold continents, told us it does and because most of us remember one time that it did, then get completely blindsided when snowmaggeden happens nearer to Easter than Yule.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

We had a white xmas just this most recent one.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol at the tennis man

Finally something interesting happened related to tennis.

But seriously, when the story broke I went and googled Djokovic not knowing much about him. The first result was this article with quotes from his parents. It was just complete crazy town talking about all these conspiracies that everyone hates serbians and he is being held prisoner etc.

I see now why he wouldn't be vaccinated.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Starmer on BBC to talk about Johnson and he’s spent half of the interview on the ropes about that photo of him allegedly breaking rules lmao. He’s so bad at this. If he didn’t sound and look so perpetually scared he’d be able to brush it off, but instead this is well on its way to being another ‘these politicians are all as bad as each other’ affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Speaking of "what's been unusual in the weather lately,", this Met Office State of the Climate 2021 report is a good read. Or here's a single image summary.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 16, 2022