Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
There are a ton of weird interactions in this game, like how acceleratium (makes you go fast) + slime (makes you go slow) = explosions.

It makes me wonder what this game would be like if there was something like an in-game alchemy recipe book that listed discovered mixes, but it'd be hard to track which ones were done intentionally versus happening at random in the world.

That said, my two biggest complaints about this game continue to be "enabling mods disables a bunch of the fun secret poo poo" and "the start of the game is a slow slog and i wish it had the nightmare perks/wand selection at the start" (but, again, mods disabling features)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wait what gets disabled, is there a list somewheres? i don't like thaaat

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Was that someone with a holy hand grenade wand? I guess it could've also been a berserked character with a less rare explosive.

Sorry for your loss, but at least you got a funny video out of it!

looking at the animation, it appears to be several overlapping explosions on the same frame.

like what happens when after firing one of the crappy "shufflecast 11 spells at once and then recharge for a few minutes" wands that generated full of generic bombs/etc. which exist only to troll the player

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

silentsnack posted:

looking at the animation, it appears to be several overlapping explosions on the same frame.

like what happens when after firing one of the crappy "shufflecast 11 spells at once and then recharge for a few minutes" wands generates full of generic bombs/etc which exist only to troll the player

I was thinking the luminous drill clipped a mine or something

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Any tricks in the (real) late game madness to avoid dying instantly to polymorph? You kind of become immune to everything else except being slowly whittled down by projectiles (though if you've stacked a ton of shields that poo poo seems to work pretty good).

I frequently will just become the victim of a polymorphine leak somewhere and that'll be the end of it. Aside from being extremely cautious all the time most other threats I've learned to overcome with perks/spells, especially since endgame you end up super saiyan-ing around the map it becomes pretty hard to even see the thing that'll polymorph you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zamujasa posted:

There are a ton of weird interactions in this game, like how acceleratium (makes you go fast) + slime (makes you go slow) = explosions.

Wait wait it does WHAT!?! That's incredible :lol:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zamujasa posted:

There are a ton of weird interactions in this game, like how acceleratium (makes you go fast) + slime (makes you go slow) = explosions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lEsyhMOH8

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also mix acceleratium and levitatium to get hastium, which applies both effects at half thr duration

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ciaphas posted:

wait what gets disabled, is there a list somewheres? i don't like thaaat

it's not as disappointing as i make it sound:

- achievements are disabled (which is pointless, since you can trivially give yourself everything at the start, then disable mods and edit the "mods used this run" flag to 0)
- eye glyph messages do not appear
- the cauldron secret does not exist or function; i forget the specific effect
- secret messages for achieving notable wand effects are disabled

for the last one, you get things like "the gods are afraid" if you deal 1M DPS with a wand, or other messages if you do stuff like make an infinite projectile

it's nothing major, but it still feels like a subtle gently caress you, especially for people like me who are absolute dog poo poo at this game

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What happens if you have the slime blood perk and douse yourself in acceleratium? Or does it only cause the explosive reaction if the acceleration effect clashes with the deceleration effect?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Any tricks in the (real) late game madness to avoid dying instantly to polymorph? You kind of become immune to everything else except being slowly whittled down by projectiles (though if you've stacked a ton of shields that poo poo seems to work pretty good).

I frequently will just become the victim of a polymorphine leak somewhere and that'll be the end of it. Aside from being extremely cautious all the time most other threats I've learned to overcome with perks/spells, especially since endgame you end up super saiyan-ing around the map it becomes pretty hard to even see the thing that'll polymorph you

get a flask of PolyGoo or Chaotic Goo, then eat a bunch of fungus and/or glue, until you trip so hard you break the simulation.

under some circumstances this can lead to odd things like making you bleed Ambrosia whenever you get damaged, or (the goal in this case) turning all polymorphine into something that doesn't insta-gameover you on contact.

edit: N.B. it can also backfire and turn a common substance into something you were trying to erase, in which case the run is screwed, so this is probably best done when you're just goofing around or gambling on going entirely off the rails.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 16, 2022

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
fungal shifts are the single funniest element in this game in terms of pure, unadulterated chaos, and i love them very much

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
IIRC you can fungal shift flammable gas into acid, which evolves flammable gas, which turns into acid, which...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

fungal shifts are the single funniest element in this game in terms of pure, unadulterated chaos, and i love them very much

it's truly one of their best later patch gameplay decisions, such a massive spectrum of outcomes

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If you want the "how in the hell?" answer:

if you pick up and carry a hollow egg in your item inventory and you get polymorphed, the egg will automatically break and cast the spells inside. You can do something like cocoon yourself in circles of shielding, circle of vigor, etc. You can go one step further and do something like use the dirt clod spell with expanded explosion to make a huge pile of dirt, and add in a delayed way to hollow out the center so you don't suffocate. Though it doesn't do much for you if you get turned into a worm.

The hitch is that the game will forget what's in a spell egg when you save and load the game, so you have to make a new one each time you reload.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

And I haven't yet tried it myself but you're supposed to be able to drink polymorph with iron stomach to get temporary immunity.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhnA0GVoG-o

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

holy poo poo :laffo:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Oh I was mixing up what you said with the add mana spell,

That's what I usually use. Do note that with clever use of wand wrapping you can get the benefit of a spell twice.

Example: [add mana][chainsaw][multicast 2][a single offensive spell and all it's modifiers].

On cast, it first casts the chainsaw and adds mana. Then the multicast casts your offensive spell, and still wants to draw another spell but the wand is out, so it draws [add mana] + [chainsaw] from the discards, and casts them too. Then the wand refreshes, and for the next frame the first spell is again [add mana] + [chainsaw]

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

resistentialism posted:

And I haven't yet tried it myself but you're supposed to be able to drink polymorph with iron stomach to get temporary immunity.

You can also eat the corpses of poly mages

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

it's not as disappointing as i make it sound:

- achievements are disabled (which is pointless, since you can trivially give yourself everything at the start, then disable mods and edit the "mods used this run" flag to 0)
- eye glyph messages do not appear
- the cauldron secret does not exist or function; i forget the specific effect
- secret messages for achieving notable wand effects are disabled

for the last one, you get things like "the gods are afraid" if you deal 1M DPS with a wand, or other messages if you do stuff like make an infinite projectile

it's nothing major, but it still feels like a subtle gently caress you, especially for people like me who are absolute dog poo poo at this game

People who are bad at the game are not going to be doing eye glyph and potion shenanigans. Those were added specifically to be an absurdly difficult challenge to figure out. Basically, the community was figuring out secrets way faster than the devs intended, so they said hold my beer and now we have whatever the gently caress is going on with those. These are all very, very, very minor things.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

but my cheevos :qq:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah at least those lockouts are pretty minor. still annoying that its a thing at all, but oh well

always edit wands everywhere makes the game just plain better drat it :colbert:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there any progress on those puzzles?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

KillHour posted:

People who are bad at the game are not going to be doing eye glyph and potion shenanigans.

i'm curious how you intend this to be read. is it that people who are bad at the game are not going to be able to (because they cannot get to that part of the game), or that they won't have any interest in seeing how those systems work?

someone being low-skill doesn't mean they should be completely locked out of something like this, especially given just how difficult this game is -- again, something like 11% of players have the finished-the-game achievement. and finishing the game is relatively easy compared to the outright diabolical bullshit you have to do for some of the advanced content

quote:

Those were added specifically to be an absurdly difficult challenge to figure out. Basically, the community was figuring out secrets way faster than the devs intended, so they said hold my beer and now we have whatever the gently caress is going on with those. These are all very, very, very minor things.

i'll wait for one of the devs to specifically state this, but there are plenty of extremely obtuse puzzles that do not lock you out, with actual rewards; 33-orb (or even 34 or 35 orbs now), the sun/dark sun quests, etc.

"absurdly difficult challenge" is underselling just how incomprehensible these are; the eye glyph messages were completely mysterious until i personally dragged a friend into it and worked on reverse-engineering how they spawned and were assembled, and the cauldron has only recently been getting similar treatment (and it turns out that one of the functions involved might even be bugged, lol)

like someone said:

quote:

yeah at least those lockouts are pretty minor. still annoying that its a thing at all, but oh well
it's minor, but it's an annoyance that didn't need to be there in the first place

Anticheese posted:

Is there any progress on those puzzles?

as far as i'm aware, no. someone has spent an incredible amount of time detailing how a variety of cryptographic methods and ciphers react to the eye messages, but nothing concrete has been found out. the general attitude taken by that approach is "it's possible that some methods might provide information, but we have nowhere near enough ciphertext to try most attacks". and you have to consider that even the apparent reading is just a "this seems like the most reasonable approach" thing and we could be reading them all wrong.

as i said above, the cauldron spawner has been reverse-engineered and i believe they uncovered that it's a cycle that repeats every year, but there's a bug in the function that handles it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

i'm curious how you intend this to be read. is it that people who are bad at the game are not going to be able to (because they cannot get to that part of the game), or that they won't have any interest in seeing how those systems work?

someone being low-skill doesn't mean they should be completely locked out of something like this, especially given just how difficult this game is -- again, something like 11% of players have the finished-the-game achievement. and finishing the game is relatively easy compared to the outright diabolical bullshit you have to do for some of the advanced content

i'll wait for one of the devs to specifically state this, but there are plenty of extremely obtuse puzzles that do not lock you out, with actual rewards; 33-orb (or even 34 or 35 orbs now), the sun/dark sun quests, etc.

"absurdly difficult challenge" is underselling just how incomprehensible these are; the eye glyph messages were completely mysterious until i personally dragged a friend into it and worked on reverse-engineering how they spawned and were assembled, and the cauldron has only recently been getting similar treatment (and it turns out that one of the functions involved might even be bugged, lol)

like someone said:

it's minor, but it's an annoyance that didn't need to be there in the first place

Part of what makes it hard to figure out is that it's incredibly hard to experiment with. You have to spend hours and hours just to be able to find and interact with these things and then you don't know if something you did earlier made it impossible to solve, and you can't just cheat and give yourself whatever tools you need to poke at the thing. If you need void liquid to see if it interacts with the cauldron, for example, you need to find a legitimate way to acquire it. This is entirely the point of locking out mods - the devs didn't want an answer to be found by someone trying literally every combination of things, and you can probably use mods to scrape all sorts of info about the game's state and look for clues that way.

But the thing is, we don't know what, if anything they actually do. And as you said, there's a crapton of other stuff you can still do with mods. If you're going to put in the amount of effort it takes to do a 35 orb sunseed run, you're not going to need edit wands everywhere or health regen past the first NG+, and you're probably going to have enough hours in the game that all of that stuff is practically irrelevant because you'll know how to use a teleport flask to break out of the holy mountain without collapsing it and 90% of your games are going to make it to vault anyways just from practice. I think it's totally acceptable for the devs to say "we gave you this huge sandbox to do just about anything in and if you want to solve this one puzzle, you have to do it on our terms" because otherwise, someone would probably have figured it out by now and there wouldn't even be a puzzle to work on.

Outside of this, I'm against this idea that everyone has to be able to see all the content. Sometimes it's cool to have exclusive stuff in a game that has really high barriers of entry. If you can't do it, you can watch a Twitch streamer do it. I'm saying this as someone who has maybe beaten Noita 3-4 times ever and probably will never do any of that stuff. I appreciate it exists for the people who want to put the time in to get there.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

eke out posted:

it's truly one of their best later patch gameplay decisions, such a massive spectrum of outcomes

The classic

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uh holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMF4LdMOIeI

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
explanation: the recoil pushes you into the wall. the goal is to trick the game into removing some of the area around you like it does when you get stuck in something solid. the later version where it creates a tunnel is because the recoil pushes them far enough each update that the game still thinks you're stuck and thus erases another area. as long as you can keep the game thinking you're stuck somewhere, it'll keep erasing terrain.

if you've ever seen speedruns that use zipping, same kind of deal

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Wish the crash recovery system in this game were better. Was set to get 4 nightmare victories out of my last 5 attempts (with 3 in a row earlier), but the game crashed while I was in the middle of editing wands in a holy mountain.
When I loaded back in, it had literally just deleted the holy mountain tiles and everything in it and left me freefalling directly into the heart of the next zone. Literally just a rectangular void where the mountain was, and it completely deleted my healing setup as well as I was in the middle of swapping wands.

I get that player state and world state are synced at different rates but I wish restore would actually bring you back to a consistent state even if it was further back, and that it wouldn't just flip out so horribly sometimes.
Usually when this happens, the player state and position (location in the world is saved with player state) will be loaded back, but the world state will be older so you're likely to be dropped in what was a previously cleared area now surrounded by all the enemies you had already killed and probably sitting on a propane tank. This instance where it straight up just gave up and removed two tiles worth of geometry and items is new to me though.

For longer runs hard backups are pretty much a must which is already a shame. Standard runs are short and easy enough to not matter much. Nightmare runs are kind of in the middle where they're not long enough to make a backup for, but they are long enough and take enough concentration that a crash/save corruption is really frustrating. Mostly just annoyed because I had a good streak going and needed to vent a bit.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Was that someone with a holy hand grenade wand? I guess it could've also been a berserked character with a less rare explosive.

Sorry for your loss, but at least you got a funny video out of it!

Nope. Just near the beginning poking around with the laser wand. No idea what exploded below but I don't think I caused it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It looks like a regular bomb. You can see it bouncing into the fungus directly below you at the start of the gif.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Not mine... maybe an enemy had a wand or something :shrug: didn't have any bombs equipped.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The thing that most bugs me about the removed content for modding is the player ghosts carrying wands you've used in previous runs. It was always really fun to run into one of those and maybe find some cool wand you'd used before.

But no way am I playing without mods.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Nah they don't seem to show up even unmodded now.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think how that works is there is a threshold number of unmodded games you need to play to build up bones files before the ghosts start coming again, and then they have spawn locations signified by candles on the level where there is a chance they could show up. I play with mods all the time (mostly cosmetic stuff like pretty lanterns and cooler Hiisi) and I've started getting ghosts again after intentionally cultivating some "clean" deaths. I did have some bones files already but either the location or format changed on final release because the old bones didn't count.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
There's also a mod that re-creates the ghost functionality for use in modded runs; sidesteps the entire thing by generating and using it's own bones files.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of mods, I usually play without, but sometimes on death the game requires me to restart because it thinks some mod settings changed. Did they just make that one message for any reason it has to restart, or is there actually something weird going on?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I prefer to use the unlimited reroll mod because I don't want to go through breaking the reroll machine just to get the same effect. Saves some time basically. Usually only use it when I want to do a longer run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I think bones requires you have at least 10 unmodded deaths, but I'm not sure on the specifics.

Red Minjo posted:

Speaking of mods, I usually play without, but sometimes on death the game requires me to restart because it thinks some mod settings changed. Did they just make that one message for any reason it has to restart, or is there actually something weird going on?

It just seems to do that even if you don't have any mods on. :shrug:

I have a particularly irritating bug on my desktop where restarting will often try to play the whole intro sequence again with the bird and egg stuff. Immediately hitting escape and New Game will usually start a real new game without the intro, but occasionally it'll just restart the intro. No mods enabled there either.