Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

Patriot 105, it's dual action but mine has never acted as such. I've messed with the needle, I see a lot of "push forward till you feel resistance" but it feels the same all the way through. I pull the trigger back and nothing happens. Push down and it fires full blast no matter where the needle is. Any ideas on how to manage this?

Does the needle move back and forth with the trigger? Also what do you mean by "it feels the same all the way through" the needle should literally stop once it's at the tip. Did you remove the tip? Is the nut actually tightened down on the needle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cinara posted:

Does the needle move back and forth with the trigger? Also what do you mean by "it feels the same all the way through" the needle should literally stop once it's at the tip. Did you remove the tip? Is the nut actually tightened down on the needle?

The needle does not move at all. I can push it all the way up and it still blows as much air as if it's was pulled all the way back.

A lot of the guides I see on needle position say that you should push it forward til "you feel resistance" but mine just slides around.

The nut is tight.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I think you're misunderstanding what I asked, if you can slide the needle freely out the front of the airbrush you're missing the tip. It should stick slightly out but at some point it should be literally impossible to push it any further forward.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

#1 is an ok general brush
#2 is a good one for catching hard edges
#3 is better for surfaces and stippling but is probably your workhorse once you get the hang of drybrushing and mixing paint on the bristles. this is your masterclass all purpose tool.
#4 is like #1 but a big boy. this is for general light touch catching edges or for lightly applying color filters

I paid literally $2.99 before tax for these.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I paid literally $2.99 before tax for these.

yeah exactly and theyre perfect for drybrushing

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Cinara posted:

I think you're misunderstanding what I asked, if you can slide the needle freely out the front of the airbrush you're missing the tip. It should stick slightly out but at some point it should be literally impossible to push it any further forward.

I'm clear in what you're asking. I can push the needle forward and it stops in the nozzle but it doesn't move at all when I pull/push the trigger.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Alright. So you said the nut is fully tightened down on the needle, does the rod the nut is on move when you move the trigger?

The 105 is a pretty simple brush pulling this random picture off reddit you should be able to see if everything seems to be there with yours.

I actually have a super old Anthem 155 which is essentially the same except for the paint feed, I can record a video if you need to show how it should look.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cat Face Joe posted:

Patriot 105, it's dual action but mine has never acted as such. I've messed with the needle, I see a lot of "push forward till you feel resistance" but it feels the same all the way through. I pull the trigger back and nothing happens. Push down and it fires full blast no matter where the needle is. Any ideas on how to manage this?

I feel like this is a misunderstanding. The needle does not control how much air is being sprayed through your airbrush.

The dual action refers to:
Vertical - air flow
Horizontal - paint flow (by adjusting the size of the nozzle through adjusting needle position)

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
All my HH models are drybrushed with makeup brushes FWIW.

Details are done normally, but all the panels are makeup dry-brushed. It's good.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Finished this undead marilith mini from Dungeon in a Box. Loved the model, and happy with the results, but I think I could have upped the contrast a little by starting with darker base coats. Feedback welcome.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Dropping in here, I just finished up a major project for an upcoming tournament:

I'm really happy with how these came out, I went all out on this army and learned a lot in the process

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What game? Infinity?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Last things I painted in 2021, a pair of Witchling Thralls (malifaux)

And first things I painted in 2022, a Ulix Turner crew (malifaux again). Following on discussion of flock a few weeks ago, most of these use a mixture of static grass and railway modeling flock to try and get a sort of efffect of ground being churned up by pigs with vegetation of different lengths on it.

Ulix himself
His dog Penelope
The Old Major
I'm not going to post shots of every model, but I'm including the Hog Whisperers here, not because of them particularly (big overhanging hat brims makes it hard to get a good shot of them) but because I'm reasonably happy with how the giant turnip turned out. Since taking the photo I have trimmed down the single massively overlong strand of static grass.

The whole crew together;

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Crosspost:
Here's a WIP of an Iron Warriors kitbash I'm working on.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 22, 2022

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Also posting here: my latest batch of 40k Plague Marines

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS

Under 15 posted:

Dropping in here, I just finished up a major project for an upcoming tournament:

I'm really happy with how these came out, I went all out on this army and learned a lot in the process

Really love these bold colors. Very clean and everything reads so clearly!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished a lizzer over the weekend.

And a Plague Doctress from TTCombat's Carnevale line last week but the base took a while longer to get done.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Getting back into painting after a long time not really doing any. Picked up some Combined Army for Infinity and this is the result so far, please ignore the awful photography, I'm a bad.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Vaders Jester posted:

Getting back into painting after a long time not really doing any. Picked up some Combined Army for Infinity and this is the result so far, please ignore the awful photography, I'm a bad.

Cool color scheme and really nice work! Keep it up, I want to see more of these dudes!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Vaders Jester posted:

come poast m'lord

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I painted my first space marine tonight :v:

for this boy:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'd like opinions as I'm indecisive and have spent several months just sitting on my rear end with this project. This will be a long crosspost. I'll go over what I've been working on, ideas, inspirations, and then where to go from here.

---

History
I really like the old stories of the chapters before the Primarchs were found. One of my favorite chapters, like many others, are the Blood Angels. However, I especially like the lore from when they were known as the Revenant Legion. There's a brief history listed here: Blood Angels Lexicanum
They tended to look like this:

Related to this, a while ago I decided to make a Flesh Eaters kill team. The primary reason is because, as mentioned, I really like the Revenant Legion lore and the Flesh Eaters kind of fit that in the current 40k setting.
Flesh Eaters Lexicanum
Currently the Flesh Eater color scheme is this:

Now the Flesh Eaters aren't a new chapter. In fact, one thing you'll notice about the Flesh Eaters is their initial look is rad as hell. The earliest reference on Lexicanum I found was from White Dwarf 98, which came out February 1988.

I love this style; Rogue Trader, Necromunda, 2nd/3rd edition art have a special place in my soul. But a couple problems developed. Initially I was going to just go pure old school and recreate the Flesh Eaters 1:1 for my project, however someone beat me to the finish line and loving nailed it better than I ever could lol

What is to Be Done?
This led me to reevaluating what I was going for, and ultimately I decided I needed to just do a new take on the Flesh Eaters because I really don't want to tread on ground someone else already nailed. I decided they needed to be both visually resplendent & barbaric. I want it to be apparent that the Legion had not only reverted to its pre-Sanguinius practices, but began glorifying them.

There's a lot of things that can be mixed together to get this idea to work, and I had the following bits and pieces of lore/design to officially work with given the 3 sources of inspiration in general (old FE, new FE, and BA in general). The question is what ratio to put these ingredients, and what else to add:
  • Blood Angels Bling™
  • Armor color options from the pics: steel, gold, various reds (blood red, deeper deep deep blood red, dark matte red), also black (death company).
  • Trim options: black, red, white, gold
  • Rogue Trader era elements such as beakie helmet with Jaws painted on, a general WW2 armor art vibe.
  • Lens/power weapon color options: green and blue seem to be used a lot
  • FE white helmet stripe
  • Chapter badge: updated angular teeth & the old shark mouth
  • Statements of affirmation on the armor, such a "pray for death" tatted across someone's gauntlets.

There were things I wanted to consciously avoid however:
  • I want to avoid most Heresy era armor designs due to the silhouette, primarily to avoid being mistaken for World Eaters, Red Corsairs, or other traitor factions at a glance. This inspired me to double down on using Blood Angels bits as I want them to share that more easily identifiable Blood Angels silhouette. I'll still use some mk2/3 pieces, but it won't be a dominant feature of each units armor.
  • Colors: Although the Blood Angels and their successors are stalked by Khorne, I really wanted to avoid using a color palette that could infer a relationship with Khorne. It's stated that the chapter is currently being "fatally undone by their gene-seed" in the wiki, I just want to make sure it's apparent that this isn't due to chaos.

First Drafts
Here's what I ended up creating:
10x Assault marines0
1x HQ unit
1x Sanguinary Priest
2x Terminators (one's going to be a Lamenter who joined up).

General aesthetic was ornate armor, with units decked out in the bones of champions they've bested and eaten in combat.

Colors: deep shiny red like wet gore. I used a Tamiya clear red on top of Vallejo liquid silver (alcohol version). I very much liked the look without any additional trim coloring on the pauldrons and chest insignias. For touch-ups I would still add the white helm stripe, and maybe a red/white checker pattern on some shoulder shields.

Base: given the red, I figured a nice cool snow base was appropriate.

Unique chapter kitbash aspects: Goliath bits and custom trophy racks bound to their armor by chain.

Bits list
  • Primaris assault intercessor bodies
  • Various Blood Angels bits from various kits
  • Necromunda Goliath bits
  • Terminator bits
  • AoS and some Custodes bits
  • Skulls, wire, chain
  • Basing ingredients: cork, snow, liquid water, rocks.
Pics:

Of course it was after I put everything together that a problem popped up. I found another Flesh Eaters kill team that had a similar vibe:

"....... gently caress!"

So, I felt my only option was to begin experimenting with colored trim on the pauldrons, eagles, etc. And this is where I am stuck.

Examples
Here's my Dante equivalent chapter master.

I did a cheap color edit to get a feel for adding gold trim... I wasn't sold. The Corpsegrinder cult helm is also a stand in as I actually ran out of bare heads. I'm kind of torn on the current head. I think it looks cool, but I am unsure if it looks too Khornate in context (I mean he's covered in gold dipped demon trophies, why not have a skull head? I mean does that really look like a Khorne skull? I don't know anymore lol

Here's another marine where I said gently caress it and basecoated the trim wirh Vallejo liquid gold.

It's all simple basecoats right now as everything is a work in progress, but looking at these minis with the gold, I'm not sure if I feel I made the right choice. I'm also incredibly critical of my own work though so I know I'm not to be trusted, hence this giant wall of text.

Conclusions and Questions
To be honest, I'm not sure where to go from here.
I'm not sold on the gold despite my inner circle saying they like the current colors, so I'm looking for community consensus to set me straight.

Please help me out and give me your opinions. Some things I've been thinking about :
  • How do you feel about the current aesthetic? Everything look ok?
  • Do you like the gold, or should the trim be a different color?
  • What color lenses and power weapons should I choose given the very cool icey base?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm doing some Dark Elves and this is still very much a work in progress, but I'm proud of how they're turning out:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Realized that I had the MTO sister lying around. She was a bit overprimed but it worked out ok.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Winklebottom posted:

Realized that I had the MTO sister lying around. She was a bit overprimed but it worked out ok.

drat, that skintone is lovely.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

hooman posted:

drat, that skintone is lovely.

Thanks, it's Vallejo Beige Red base and then mixing up to Vallejo Light Flesh. Very nice colors to work with.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The Demilich posted:

Here's another marine where I said gently caress it and basecoated the trim wirh Vallejo liquid gold.

I do like the gold on this and can't think of anything better (silver is my first thought), but this pic in particular reminds me of the reverse wash technique. In gunpla the poster child is the filigree on the Sinanju, which is usually gold:

This modeler went silver in case you were curious. Anyway you paint the metal basecoat, then black enamel over it, then use a pointy Q tip etc to wipe off the black with lighter fluid. I think that might help with the wings and pauldron etchings.

Idk how practical that would be at mini scale but just throwing ideas out there!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsHGUAAi420

I suppose most of this thread probably already subscribes to Goobertown, but he posted a very thorough demo / review of the complete Army Painter Speed Paint starter box.

Previously I only found videos showcasing a more limited selection of Speed Paint colors.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
So I got some model color metallics and of course they're amazing, but I find them to be so damned thin, if I'm doing detail work and want something less runny what would folks suggest?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harvey Mantaco posted:

So I got some model color metallics and of course they're amazing, but I find them to be so damned thin, if I'm doing detail work and want something less runny what would folks suggest?

I hear proacryl metals are really good but I haven't tried them myself, and Scale75 are pretty decent but not that opaque.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Scale75 metallics are good (except for the silvers) imo. Victorian brass and most of their bronze/golds are wonderful.

Dark star makes excellent metallics, and pro acryl as mentioned above.

If you’re really stuck, the GW metallics in white top bottles are actually very good for coverage- iron hands silver I think it’s called.

The mica is still quite large like all GW paints, but it’s arguably quite good for a base layer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also another trick I've learned when working with Vallejo metal color on fine details is to wick a little bit of the moisture away on the brush once I load it with paint. Kinda like what people do when glazing. The paint behaves a little better that way.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I've found them to be quite thin, but that's a bonus for me because they still have amazing coverage. For me it's just a matter of not having globs of paint on the brush, but drying off the the side of the bristles on the palette after dipping the brush in the paint. The ones I have don't run anywhere, unless I'm putting too much paint on anyway.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Do you mean Vallejo Metal Color or Vallejo Model Color, annoying they are two very very different products. If it's the former they are not runny, you're just putting too much paint on your brush. They cover far better than most metallics and you don't need to load up your brush like you would with others.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Cinara posted:

Do you mean Vallejo Metal Color or Vallejo Model Color, annoying they are two very very different products. If it's the former they are not runny, you're just putting too much paint on your brush. They cover far better than most metallics and you don't need to load up your brush like you would with others.

Yeah the former, thanks.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Under 15 posted:

Oooh, I really like the cell-shaded style you've done with these!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeast posted:

Scale75 metallics are good (except for the silvers) imo. Victorian brass and most of their bronze/golds are wonderful.

Dark star makes excellent metallics, and pro acryl as mentioned above.

If you’re really stuck, the GW metallics in white top bottles are actually very good for coverage- iron hands silver I think it’s called.

The mica is still quite large like all GW paints, but it’s arguably quite good for a base layer.

While GW metallics can be a little hit-and-miss, I have to say I love Iron Warriors for a dark metallic. It’s a great paint to work with.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The best trick I ever learned for making metallics look as good as possible was:

Do a black (preferably gloss black) undercoat under anything you want silver, and do a brown undercoat under anything you want gold/copper/bronze. Makes a world of difference, especially if your metallic has poor coverage.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TotalHell posted:

While GW metallics can be a little hit-and-miss, I have to say I love Iron Warriors for a dark metallic. It’s a great paint to work with.

Ah yes Iron Warriors, sorry! Its quite a good base dark silver. I'd sworn off GW metallics, but for for army painting, it's a really solid colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Aranan posted:

This is great to hear, thank you for sharing. I've actually had a tab open for Garfy's get-a-grip and one for the Game Envy Hobby Holder for over a week now debating picking either of them up.

Alright, finally got the GameEnvy holder and some accessories in.

Here's some more thoughts:

• Injected plastic is for sure better than PLA, in terms of feeling of durability, though the texture of the layers doesn't feel bad.
  • Switching out units is pretty easy, given that the connector uses a bottle top twist area
  • While you can technically twist the unit with pointer/thumb, it's kind of difficult for me to do so without putting a lot of strength on it. I pretty much have use my other hand with a decent amount of pressure, if it's in the Ergo Holder that often is advertised with the product
  • While the stability bars seem useful, depending on the model they can get in the way, even with the XL model:

• Because of that, I just assume skip them on large models, at least.
  • I will say, using the stability bar itself as a holder, does seem like I might like it more than the actual handle, when held like a beer stein to paint the mini.
  • It, well, the bluetack does, holds it decently well, but this isn't about the bluetack, it's about the ergonomics of holding a model. Both the ergo holder and the "handle mods" which are both #2 and #3, are made out of SLA, and they are very chunky. In a good way, I kind of like them
  • However, for them to stay in #2 and #3 on their own, you have to screw the threaded base portion into the handle, meaning it's a pain if you wanted to stop using that handle and use a different handle, you would have had to pay :10bux: for another molded plastic "threaded base" or unscrew the cap and unscrew the threaded base in order. The only thing hotswap here is the bottlecap.
  • The Stand sounded like it'd be useful, especially if you only had the threaded base and maybe the stability bar, but, the threaded base can hold the unit on its own suitably well enough, so the only time this is ever useful is if you're using the threaded base in grip mode with the stability bar, but even then....it doesn't fit snugly in the device and it's really just there to kind of look different while on a shelf as you grab another hobby holder you have. I was hoping it'd like, snap into place, but this is such a frivolous idea, just remove the stability bar and rotate it 180 and connect it again....
  • The threaded base takes a decent amount of force to get it into the ergo holder, to the point where I thought I was doing something wrong at first.
  • Nice personalization of color variation, if the colors you want are in stock. No way on the website to order something and just wait for your color to come in, though.

I also got their mini, which was cool, I need to figure out how to glue the metal together, this being my first white metal mini, I'm assuming just superglue or something. Doesn't come with a base, which is a little disappointing, but, I have a pile of bases now, perhaps I can do something cool with it.

Basically, if I had gone in the past, I probably would have just bought the hobby holder and the ergo grip, maybe the small stability bar. Ignore all the other add-ons, personally. The large stability bar is on the fringe of not being needed for me and/or also being too long. I like the handle #2 more than #3, if that matters. The cap and cork stand is also a neat idea but kind of dumb to me, especially considering how much space it can take up.

Also their kickstarter/website says some weird poo poo like:
"Pin your miniatures? No problem! The center hole of the Hobby Holder is perfectly sized to press fit standard wine corks or any 20mm cork. Just push them in, place in the pinned miniature and get painting! Done with the cork? Insert a paintbrush through the middle hole in the bottom of your Hobby Holder."

Does cork fit? Well, technically. You can have it fit flush if you take a hobby saw and cut your wine cork in 7mm thick slices I guess. As for the paintbrush take uh, absolutely zero of my paint brushes fits through that tiny-rear end hole. I guess use a few paperclips, the hole is only around 4-5mm wide.

Honestly, so far, my favorite between this, Garfy's Get A Grip, and the GW v2/XL v1 holders, is still the GW holder. You can routinely get them around $13 online, which means they're still cheaper than either option, grumbling about GW aside.

I haven't really touched the RGG holder, but it looks interesting. $16.50 before shipping still makes it potentially as expensive, but I do like the "rotate mini with one hand aspect" which you can do with all the handles....kind of.

Of course, you can go with holding the mini directly, or a pill bottle, or whatever, but you're getting it for a more ergonomic means of doing so, and besides some quibbles I have with the GW one (the big rear end clamp corners, gw official product, if the spring goes, you probably have to buy a whole new one) these alternatives will go out of print way before GW will, so you can get a new one in 5-10 years or whenever you need one.

Just....don't go overboard like this guy:

:psyduck: