Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Merry Christmas / secular Saturday! Hope everyone got something good.

Got a few things from the wife:

A couple more Onigiri:

A Max Toy Fireman:

And my first vintage sofubi. An Astro Mu 5 Juperos by Nakajima. Neat feature of this guy is his mask is removable!

Also, had a few things I didn't get pictures of that came before Christmas.

Pink Glitter Lulu!

and a group shot. I really like that they all have unique eyes!

Lastly is a few Galaxy People I picked up from a guy on Instagram. Took quite a while to get to me, but they eventually arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A friend just sent me this :wtc:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yep. Some of those figs go for insane prices. There are more big money collectors out there than even in the past 5 years. It’s crazy. Even the Elegab figures I used to be able to get after market for reasonable prices have really shot up. :sigh:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Great collection pictures SWORD! Thank you for sharing!

There's so much money sloshing around the upper crusts, I guess we shouldn't be surprised some of it is landing on Sofubi?

Still... That's a lot of money.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, 17K is no bueno!

Does project 1/6 make it 1/6 scale? That would be awesome, but still not for that kind of money.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Woooo! For the last Sofubi to add to my collection for 2021, I just received the Hideaki Anno Return of Ultraman!! This Sofubi has been a bit of a grail of mine- it’s based on Anno and DaiCon Film crew’s first live action fan film! This was a gift from a friend of mine in Osaka and I am incredibly stoked.

The figure is made by Bullmark/Medicom and is in the classic Return of Ultraman packaging

That big figure is a modern remake - somewhere I still have my backing card from the same figure I had as a kid.

drat I love weird poo poo like this. This release was made for the Hideaki Anno exhibit that is in Tokyo right now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

And just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZHsWzbZqa8

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014
Sword, really cool pick ups. Those Galaxy people are neat. Going to be busy day at that computer console.

Gatos thank you for sharing another cool weird sofubi!.
(Stealing your idea) Got my last sofubi of 2021 in the mail today!

This was the result of my first successful sofubi lottery, Oh! Peter got hurt! by Ouch & Oops.

I’ve been after one of these since I saw them on Instagram so I was super excited to get a lottery spot.

Next up is baby Wananeko by StickUp Monsters

I have an old resin version I got off eBay so it’s nice to have the sofubi version now.

Still planning on taking some collection photos for end of year/new year.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I love Oh Peter Got Hurt so much. I hope to get one next year. Such a great figure, I want to comfort him.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Holidays to the Sofubi thread. I love this channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MOKlOvfXYM

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Very cool pickups!

Thanks for the frame of reference on the Ultraman; going to give that a watch.

Peter got hurt is hilarious, and I love the bright colors on him. Congrats on the lottery win!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Happy end of 2021 everybody! :toot:

Picked up a Wonder Goblin Krampus before the holidays!

And then this big boy arrived about a month or so sooner than I was anticipating!

I found out about the Splatterhouse line from Unbox waaaaaaay too late to get any of the original run at a reasonable price, though I'm hoping they make another run of the original Rick/a re-release in a new color way, but for now I'm good with this fella.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm super loving broke so I cannot go in on any of these, but someone has a bunch of Elegabs up on Ebay right now. https://www.ebay.com/sch/*seek*/m.html?_trksid=p3692

He even has one I've been wanting for a while, oh well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Let's keep the collection posts going for 2022! Next up is Elegab's MONSTER PATROL CAR! This guy is great and has everything a kid would love! Fun details like the little steering wheel, 2 places for Elegab's Minis/Finger Puppets, and a great expression on this guy's face!

edit: I'll try and continue posting more stuff more frequently- it's been a weird couple of months.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 3, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Oh man, I had to google Splatterhouse, but it seemed so familiar. Boy that was locked away in my brain. My cousin and I used to play that on the NES! Always fun with something you forgot exists pops back into your brain.

Being a sucker for things that are green, that green blank and green painted Shuttlegon is tempting, but yeah right after Christmas is not a great time to be browsing ebay... I think I'm going to sell off most of my Mythic Legions to fund more sofubi.

That Monster Patrol Car is super rad, and being able to put in the different puppets is a fun touch!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Let's keep the collection posts going for 2022! Next up is Elegab's MONSTER PATROL CAR! This guy is great and has everything a kid would love! Fun details like the little steering wheel, 2 places for Elegab's Minis/Finger Puppets, and a great expression on this guy's face!

What a brilliant toy! Thank you for posting these!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Sega has been doing Sofubi from Space Harrier, Golden Axe, and Altered Beast:

https://geeklife.jp/brand/sofubi/

Really need to add a mammoth to the collection some day.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

What a brilliant toy! Thank you for posting these!

Love the pink!

Monster Patrol car is the only painted Elegab figure I own, and indeed, everyone should have one.

Hope you're hanging in there Gatos! May 2022 be better for all of us.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Staying on the Elgab appreciation train.

His old website is available on the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170626012712/http://dokurotarou.com/Pages/sofvi_inde.html

I would really like to get a Misselas one day:

And a Zunogon:

They don't show up very often though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Failson posted:

Staying on the Elgab appreciation train.

His old website is available on the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170626012712/http://dokurotarou.com/Pages/sofvi_inde.html

I would really like to get a Misselas one day:

And a Zunogon:

They don't show up very often though.

Misselas has recently been reissued! Don't lose hope on that one.

Zunogon on the other hand is a very old one that the mold got damaged a long time ago. I know that even Nari doesn't have one.

Edit: I love Zunogon's story: he's a kid who was forced to study so hard for school that his brain rebelled and burst out of his head as a kaiju. Nari makes a full story for all of the kaiju and it's amazing.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 5, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Sunguts is at a new years show in Japan with this rad guy:

Wish his stuff wasn't so hard to get a hold of.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 5, 2022

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Sunguts is at a new years show in Japan with this rad guy:

Wish his stuff wasn't so hard to get a hold of.

goddamn if this was sold like, on etsy or something I'd easily slam down cash to have him sit on my desk

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Heads up: Nari San is selling 5 of his figures on his website (in screenshot) first come first serve at 8pm Japan time tonight (just over 12 hours from this post). 5% added for PayPal and shipping is extra.

He used to do a sale like this every December or so (that’s where I had gotten some blanks in the past) but has been doing it a bit more rarely now.

Edit: the guy second from left is his DEVIL UFO- a real fun one. Yes he has a UFO for his lower/rear body

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 8, 2022

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the heads up!

Would love to add those to the collection. Sadly, too broke.

If anyone does have the means, please don't hesitate to order from Nari, though, it's always a pleasure buying from him, and nice to know the funds are going directly to the artist.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Teaser of the Dynazenon Sofubi from the head of MaxToy’s Japan division:

https://twitter.com/quackmaxx/status/1480695466144976897?s=21

Edit: apparently this one was sculpted by Makino San who did my Witch Cat Lulu sculpt

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 11, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I missed the Elegab sale, but it was for the best as I am broke as well. Warsgon and Shuttlegon are ones I'd like to pick up some day though.

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014

Got my first order of 2022 in the mail today. The Konatsu x Ultraman set is much nicer in person. The figures are a bit more substantial than I expected.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hot drat! I hope to get one of the Takkong on the left- he was my first sofubit as a child and having a Negora version tickles me. I got the Gamora and Twin Tail a while ago. They really are great.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Oh my gosh, those are so cute, and I had no idea they existed!

... Wow, Konatsu's sofubi output has been prolific! I lost track.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The roundy one is amazing!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Elegab finished the newest prototype and holy poo poo

https://www.instagram.com/elegab_jp/tv/CYuvH_jAPWz/?utm_medium=copy_link

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I've been following his progress on that and I agree that it looks amazing! I like that he's still sculpting traditionally too.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo this Wonder Festival release by Sunguts :swoon:

https://twitter.com/sunguts/status/1482324481440096259?s=21

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How common is it for sofubi artists to make their original sculpts by hand?

I guess I assumed it was mostly done digitally these days

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Snowy posted:

How common is it for sofubi artists to make their original sculpts by hand?

I guess I assumed it was mostly done digitally these days

It just depends. I'd say the majority of smaller artists are still doing stuff by hand, but more and more digital stuff is being made.

edit: I have a few pieces that are digitally sculpted, and I don't mind if it's done that way, but sometimes they are a bit too clean. Some that I don't really like are obviously mirrored down the middle so both sides are exactly the same.

Tomorrow I'll take some photos of a few figures I have that are digitally sculpted.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 16, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Those are too cool!

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014
Those Sunguts guys are so nice!

Finally got around to taking some collection photos. I’ll just post the Konatsu for now as it’s the best one:)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

oh my god I love your monster kitties

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Forgot to share this guy to show a digital sculpture sofubi- iirc this guys name is Currygon. He has a movable jaw which is an unexpected gimmick

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Elegab GID Puppet Seijin lottery is up on his site! I’m bummed I have to pass on this one as well due to slow business. The Puppet Alien is one of the stars of his line to me and this paint job with the glow is tops!

http://elegab.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-72.html?sp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Contiuing the theme of things I can't afford, Super7 has a 16" Mummy Boy up for sale: https://super7.com/products/super7-supersize-mummy-boy

I passed on the standard sized Halloween one, and was a bit bummed to do so. A giant one would be ace, but I'm gonna have to sell off more toys or something...