Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Somfin posted:

So A16Z is just another crypto investor buying waaaay after the peak?

There's a recent TrashFuture podcast that covers it, but what A16Z is trying to do is some job placement/recruitment thing with tokens. It's very dumb.

Episode 483: the road to apedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nessus posted:

Radioactive material IS deflationary... and there ARE practical limits on how much uranium or plutonium you can hoard. It would also be very easy to find those with such hoardings, and indeed, impossible not to notice if they had enough.

If you hoard enough roentgencoin you will have explosive growth in your portfolio.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

a tool and his* monkey are soon parted

*does not actually own anything

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

syntaxfunction posted:

If the price of a crypto thing based on amount in circulation multiplied by the last transaction is there anything to stop someone selling like .0001 BTC for -$5? I'd say the exchanges will have thought of this as it's basic poo poo, but...

The fact that every other person who holds Bitcoin is incentivized to completely ignore anything that would devalue their pog hoard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Shifty Pony posted:

The fact that every other person who holds Bitcoin is incentivized to completely ignore anything that would devalue their pog hoard.

Yeah, it's a big case of 'it's difficult to get someone to understand something that their paycheck relies on them not understanding'.

Of course the real funny thing is I'm p sure literally all of the nftbros think their and only their NFT is actually going to be worth something, there aren't like famous NFTs they talk about enviously or plan to own, they all only ever talk up their own stuff they want to sell

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Purgatory Glory posted:

Looks like they're going to start monetizing murder for hire and doxxing.

there is literally no reason to go through with a murder for hire after getting paid upfront because anyone willing to pay you in crypto is a loving rube and you would be an idiot not to take the money and run

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

there is literally no reason to go through with a murder for hire after getting paid upfront because anyone willing to pay you in crypto is a loving rube and you would be an idiot not to take the money and run

"money"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

If the price of a crypto thing based on amount in circulation multiplied by the last transaction is there anything to stop someone selling like .0001 BTC for -$5? I'd say the exchanges will have thought of this as it's basic poo poo, but...

i just want to remind everyone of hatreon, the nazi version of patreon, was coded so badly it allowed people to enter negative numbers and therefore withdraw money from somewhere.

I think some people got some legit money before the regressive ripoff died like all other regressive ripoffs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

syntaxfunction posted:

It's not literally based on the last transaction. There's order books ever since they copied a magic the gathering online exchange.

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...
The Australian finance media has been suggesting that something following 'hot on the heels of axie infinity' has made three morons with an unreleased play-to-earn game Billionaires:

The Australian Financial Review posted:

Kieran Warwick is talking on the phone in the voice of someone who has a secret he’s dying to share. He’s just signed a deal with Fatboy Slim to use a remix of Praise You as the backing track to the upcoming trailer for his crypto-based video game. “Look, it was $500,000,” says Warwick, sounding both giddy and triumphant. “But we get the whole three minutes.” He had been trying to get the rights to Eminem’s ’Till I Collapse but “it was going to be $1.5 million. Which was just too much.“

That $1.5 million is “just too much” is a rare sign that even Kieran Warwick has his limits. He’s been spending money as fast as he can get it, which, looking at the hyper-manic performance of crypto markets, is pretty drat fast.

In 12 months, the value of the cryptocurrency tied to his yet-to-be released computer game, Illuvium, has ballooned to $5.5 billion. Kieran, 32, and his two co-founders, brothers Grant, 33, and Aaron, 38, have managed to pull off the ultimate crypto coup.

Illuvium ticks three of the biggest buzzwords in the nascent industry: it’s “play to earn”, meaning gamers earn tokens while they play which can be converted into popular cryptocurrencies such as ether, and then into dollars. It’s considered a DeFi protocol, meaning its trading mechanisms are powered by software instead of banks. And it’s rife with monsters that are programmed onto non-fungible tokens, or NFTs, meaning that players will own their in-game assets and, in turn, trade them.

Illuvium follows in the path of a 2018 video game called Axie Infinity that features cute furry creatures called Axies that battle each other, much like Pokemon. Axie tokens, the Monopoly money that drives the game, now trade for $US124 ($168) each. Last year, one player sold to another a particularly skilful Axie for a price equivalent to $US120,000. All the Axie tokens in the world add up to almost $US8 billion.

The rest of the article goes on at length about how this will change the world. Might be paywalled, but here is the link: https://www.afr.com/young-rich/why-a-video-game-built-on-blockchain-is-the-ultimate-crypto-coup-20210913-p58r88

My favourite part however is this:

The Australian Financial Review posted:

The tokens are now trading at $US650 each. Its three co-founders, who are running an organisation of 130 people, have sensibly kept quite a few for themselves. Cumulatively, the brothers are worth $1 billion, although the bulk of their wealth is held in a digital currency, the sole use of which is to play a video game, and its liquidity is untested. It gives the term “immature market” a new level of meaning.

“It’s just . . . next-level crazy,” says Kieran over a Zoom call from the beachside penthouse in Sydney’s Manly that he bought for $6.6 million in August. “It’s like we’ve cracked open this potential universe and everyone outside is so ready for it. We’re just building and building this thing like crazy because we’ve got to get it out there.”

What happens if they don’t? “Not an option,” Kieran replies, at which point Aaron pipes up: “If this game isn’t a success, all of us would have a deep stain on our hearts for the rest of our lives that might cripple us with agonising depression.”

Link to their 'game' suggests it makes Star Citizen look amazingly polished: https://www.illuvium.io/

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Can someone explain how an NFT rug pull works? I keep reading about them, but I don't really understand the scam. I mean, I understand the scam, but if you sell 500 NFTs, take the ether, and then delete your social media accounts and disappear how is that something other than exactly what was advertised? You still "own" your NFT token and can sell it right?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Col.Schultz posted:

The Australian finance media has been suggesting that something following 'hot on the heels of axie infinity' has made three morons with an unreleased play-to-earn game Billionaires:

The rest of the article goes on at length about how this will change the world. Might be paywalled, but here is the link: https://www.afr.com/young-rich/why-a-video-game-built-on-blockchain-is-the-ultimate-crypto-coup-20210913-p58r88

My favourite part however is this:

Link to their 'game' suggests it makes Star Citizen look amazingly polished: https://www.illuvium.io/

I'm assuming he didn't literally trade digital pogs for said house, how in the gently caress did he find 6.6 million real dollarydoos to buy a penthouse?

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

orange juche posted:

I'm assuming he didn't literally trade digital pogs for said house, how in the gently caress did he find 6.6 million real dollarydoos to buy a penthouse?

It seems like they received venture capital investment, so probably by borrowing against the company that got that investment, or whatever the usual scam is. This sort of thing generally requires that you have links in to the sort of finance people who can help you boostrap it.

Or they cashed it out for ETH or something at some absurd mark down...

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Salt Fish posted:

Can someone explain how an NFT rug pull works? I keep reading about them, but I don't really understand the scam. I mean, I understand the scam, but if you sell 500 NFTs, take the ether, and then delete your social media accounts and disappear how is that something other than exactly what was advertised? You still "own" your NFT token and can sell it right?

well when you take off, you shut down the website that everyone's URLs point to, and then they realize exactly what they bought: Not a loving Thing

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

well when you take off, you shut down the website that everyone's URLs point to, and then they realize exactly what they bought: Not a loving Thing

now they have busted urls and the hope that they right clicked their own jpg?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Salt Fish posted:

I think the last few ones worked by preventing the people who bought NFTs from reselling them (ensuring you could only buy them from the scammer), then taking the "money" and running when somebody noticed. But by now there are probably three more different variants we just haven’t heard of yet.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Salt Fish posted:

in addition to what others have said, they usually also promise benefits, perks and/or free updates etc if you buy an NFT. so you think, okay, "i paid $5000 for a picture of a bunny, but if we wait a while they showed us a roadmap of all the cool stuff does NFT can do." but then they just get up and leave with your money and that's it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If the images themselves are just that, images, could you not just host them somewhere that's likely to be around for a few years like Imgur, sell people the NFTs, then quietly do literally nothing else while the money rolls in? Hell, you could probably just self host, it's not like it's going to cost you much long term to host a few jpegs, then in five years when everyone has forgotten about it you pull the plug and peace out with minimum fuss and a healthy profit. Or is it literally just that everyone is so greedy that they can't resist pulling their vanishing act immediately after the initial sales?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Or is it literally just that everyone is so greedy

I mean, this is literally entirely the basis of NFTs, and modern capitalism in a nutshell. ('everyone' being anyone who actually has money to throw around, anyway)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If the images themselves are just that, images, could you not just host them somewhere that's likely to be around for a few years like Imgur, sell people the NFTs, then quietly do literally nothing else while the money rolls in? Hell, you could probably just self host, it's not like it's going to cost you much long term to host a few jpegs, then in five years when everyone has forgotten about it you pull the plug and peace out with minimum fuss and a healthy profit. Or is it literally just that everyone is so greedy that they can't resist pulling their vanishing act immediately after the initial sales?

it's not even images or anything. it is just a number that points to a url that points to an image. generally speaking there is no benefit or service associated with these; the goal is that the scammer mints one, invokes questionable methods to make it appear valuable, and then runs the instant someone actually pays them money for it

basically an even lower effort of "we invented coffeecoin to integrate totally real tracking to every coffee bean. buy $COFE today to get in on the ground floor of this investment!" -> people drive the price up by buying it while the actual people behind the scam are selling it out -> entire operation folds overnight. lol!

just now instead of buying some amount of coins you're buying individually-numbered picrews. maybe you make up some bullshit about how owning one will totally let you make even more later (and then disappear into the night after some rube spends $100K)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

you can *pretend* to be buying individual piccrews

it's worth beating the drum over and over: a lawful sale of intellectual property and the possession of a number generated as a private key are NOT at all the same

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Anything 'tech' related does at leave have the caveat in that early investment in certain 'Oh, that'll never catch on' things has genuinely made some people filthy rich with no real effort and left the old ways of doing things suddenly having their entire business model evaporate overnight, see newspaper advertising post-Ebay, but we already had that whole deal get resolved with the 90s tech bubble.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I think I just realised what you guys are saying.

Back when Elon Musk was getting people to invest in Dogecoin and he went on some show and told everyone to buy Doge and then instead of rising the price collapsed. It occurs to me that Elon might have pulled a "pump and dump" selling the Doges he had hoarded to eager "marks" at inflated amounts to cash out. This would imply that Musk is a greey charlatan who secretly thinks his legions of admirers are dupes and morons to be taken advantage of!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anytime someone says to buy a cryptocoin, insert a “my” and it all makes sense and is a more apparent scam.

“Buy (my) bitcoins, you’ll be rich!”

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

syntaxfunction posted:

This isn't actually possible. The "price" is reported as the last transaction on an exchange, and if you tried to sell a bitcoin for $10 on an exchange, your order would instead be matched with the lowest current offer.

To lower the price, you would need lots of bitcoins and unload them repeatedly to the lowest offer.

These kinds of charts show you how many people are on one side of the line with sell orders and on the other with buy orders:

It's always changing as people cancel, place, and remove orders and as orders get filled.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Lol that brings me back. Remember the days of "walls" of buy orders?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

usually a NFT project comes with a ton of promises that after the NFTs are sold, the developer will spend the profits on extra features that would make the NFTs way more desirable and valuable than they were when the developer first sold them.

this is an obviously stupid idea - why would they sell something and then raise the price when they no longer have anything to sell, just to benefit resellers? this is why most of those development roadmaps are scams, and the developer just pockets all the money and vanishes

this tends to crater the price, so the NFTs resell for far less than they were originally sold for

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

this tends to crater the price, so the NFTs resell for far less than they were originally sold for

this is overwhelmingly true in general with NFTs

As soon as you drive them off the lot the price drops by half. Almost all pre-bought NFTs sell at a massive loss, including wash trades. The market is so rife with corruption that it is 100% fair to look at an NFT price which is going up and say "Yeah that's fake" and you'll either be right or you'll be right eventually.

Also, I don't know if anyone's posted this, but if folks in here are fans of either Dan Olson or Trashfuture or, ideally, both, Dan posted a really really good bite-sized dystopian short story on his Patreon which is, politely enough, unlocked:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/were-all-going-59993510

It's bleak as gently caress and guaranteed to ruin your morning.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

As soon as you drive them off the lot the price drops by half. Almost all pre-bought NFTs sell at a massive loss, including wash trades. The market is so rife with corruption that it is 100% fair to look at an NFT price which is going up and say "Yeah that's fake" and you'll either be right or you'll be right eventually.

Also, I don't know if anyone's posted this, but if folks in here are fans of either Dan Olson or Trashfuture or, ideally, both, Dan posted a really really good bite-sized dystopian short story on his Patreon which is, politely enough, unlocked:

its almost as if these people don't really understand how economics work
:thunk:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
My takeaway is that Dan seems to have a real crush on a Subway girl named Meghan.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Somfin posted:

Are you saying scams involving throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars at jpegs is actually a really dumb use of money :monocle:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

i just want to remind everyone of hatreon, the nazi version of patreon, was coded so badly it allowed people to enter negative numbers and therefore withdraw money from somewhere.

I think some people got some legit money before the regressive ripoff died like all other regressive ripoffs.

Wait really? That siunds hilarious, are there any articles of people doing it?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Main Paineframe posted:

usually a NFT project comes with a ton of promises that after the NFTs are sold, the developer will spend the profits on extra features that would make the NFTs way more desirable and valuable than they were when the developer first sold them.

this is an obviously stupid idea - why would they sell something and then raise the price when they no longer have anything to sell, just to benefit resellers? this is why most of those development roadmaps are scams, and the developer just pockets all the money and vanishes

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense. Of course I forgot that an NFT isn't a reward for an artist or a cool picture to own, its speculation designed to deliberately have some kind of runaway deflation or pyramid scheme aspect. If you can't get rich quick why bother.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tango alpha delta posted:

My takeaway is that Dan seems to have a real crush on a Subway girl named Meghan.

Too bad he wasn’t a chad like that coin bro

And lol that she was choked up crying, why is she so sensitive? It was OnLy a JoKe

(Seriously that short story is a pro read)

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
For a while now I've just assumed that finance and economics are two completely seperate catergories.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Prurient Squid posted:

For a while now I've just assumed that finance and economics are two completely seperate catergories.

Finance is about the management of assets/liabilities/etc

Accounting is about determining the state of assets/liabilities/etc

Economics is basically just the data science behind assets/liabilities/etc

Economists and accountants support finance people and hate them. Finance people require accountants and economists and hate them. And everyone in each category hates themself, of course.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Prurient Squid posted:

its all a loving scam. Rich people making money by having money. Scamming poor people

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1482765133113929735

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Its hard to understand how these people can be so stupid.

I wonder if theres another angle, like the person running the DAO was the previous owner of the book and wanted to offload it to a bunch of suckers. At least that would be clever.

But, no, they think "decentralized" = "cant sue me, bro" dont they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

drk posted:

Its hard to understand how these people can be so stupid.

I wonder if theres another angle, like the person running the DAO was the previous owner of the book and wanted to offload it to a bunch of suckers. At least that would be clever.

But, no, they think "decentralized" = "cant sue me, bro" dont they

I quoted this. Now I own you and everything you say, now and forever. Don't like it? Talk to the blockchain idiot