Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I want details on this. Just how wrong was this dude? Wasn't World the best-selling MH title ever by a wide margin?

Well, it currently has two hundred thousand reviews on steam, so I think it did okay :v:

But yeah, it's basically the first Monster Hunter game, or even MonHun-style game, to actually sell well in the west. ChibiSoma could not have been more wrong.

e: According to this IGN article, it sold over 17 million copies, and is literally the best-selling Capcom game of all time.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel bad for the devs behind Super Meat Boy Forever, it came out on Steam like 12 years after the original game and it feels like it didn't get a very good response.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel bad for the devs behind Super Meat Boy Forever, it came out on Steam like 12 years after the original game and it feels like it didn't get a very good response.

B/C it wasn't nearly as polished or good as the original. Wasn't the same devs either.

I'm still bummed we never got mewgenics after seeing it teased at some con back in like 2014.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Begemot posted:

ChibiSoma could not have been more wrong.

This was basically that idiot in a nutshell. You could set your watch by how far off base they were on an issue, every time.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

SMB forever is a loving auto-runner.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Waste of Breath posted:

I'm still bummed we never got mewgenics after seeing it teased at some con back in like 2014.

I think that might still be coming out at some point now that I:R is done with.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think that might still be coming out at some point now that I:R is done with.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1441291897838792706?t=CuN7_XcchodIq38nP6z1aQ&s=19

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Beat FFVII Remake tonight. Hell of a fun ride and solid port. Had zero issues in the 35 hours it took me to complete (sans Intergrade and hard mode).

Red XIII and Barret are bros for life. Honestly they did great with all of the characters. Though the greasiness of Hojo is off the charts. His Costa Del Sol scene is going to be wild in the sequel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can I use Steam controller settings to remap buttons for games outside Steam? Mostly I just want the bloody screenshot button to work outside Steam.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Agent355 posted:

still would've played it if they actually bothered to pay my man danny b for a soundtrack

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I too enjoy ARPG's for the campaign. I have no real interest in endgame at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Can I use Steam controller settings to remap buttons for games outside Steam? Mostly I just want the bloody screenshot button to work outside Steam.

Pretty sure you can.

Also if anyone really cares about dumb cards I had about 900 games that had cards that could drop and it took me about 2 days (off and on) to get them all done with idle master extended.

It’s super quick.

I now have $1.45 worth of cards that I could sell that probably cost me $3 in electricity to generate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Pretty sure you can.

But how?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

But how?

Add the game to steam

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4B8B-9697-2338-40EC

Then you should have access to the overlay and stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Add the game to steam

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4B8B-9697-2338-40EC

Then you should have access to the overlay and stuff.

Some games are either a hassle or I don't know how to add to Steam. For instance, many games on Epic.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Rinkles posted:

Some games are either a hassle or I don't know how to add to Steam. For instance, many games on Epic.

Epic isnt super easy as others are because most of their games dont show up in Add/Remove programs like every other installed game does.
But you can just browse to its exe file and link it that way.
I had the Epic version of Subnautica linked through Steam for awhile before I just bought it on Steam.
Was fairly easy as long as you can navigate to where your epic games are installed.
If its an unreal game the exe may be in a sub folder like \binaries\Win64 or something.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

IIRC you can set something like 'Windows bindings' for the Steam Controller, so you can navigate your PC using the thing, I'd think you should be able to do that with other supported controllers. If you can't add a game to Steam to make custom bindings for that game, you could always kludge the Windows bindings into something for that game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OgNar posted:

Epic isnt super easy as others are because most of their games dont show up in Add/Remove programs like every other installed game does.
But you can just browse to its exe file and link it that way.
I had the Epic version of Subnautica linked through Steam for awhile before I just bought it on Steam.
Was fairly easy as long as you can navigate to where your epic games are installed.
If its an unreal game the exe may be in a sub folder like \binaries\Win64 or something.

Unfortunately some games don't allow launching straight through the executable. For instance Saints Row 3 Remasterd. Nothing happens if you double click the exe. And if you look at the shortcut Epic makes if you ask it to, you get "com.epicgames.launcher://apps/" followed by a very long string of characters. And afaik you can't give Steam that as a target.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Veotax posted:

IIRC you can set something like 'Windows bindings' for the Steam Controller, so you can navigate your PC using the thing, I'd think you should be able to do that with other supported controllers. If you can't add a game to Steam to make custom bindings for that game, you could always kludge the Windows bindings into something for that game.

That sounds like that might work, but I haven't seen anything like that. Do you know how to access it?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Rinkles posted:

Unfortunately some games don't allow launching straight through the executable. For instance Saints Row 3 Remasterd. Nothing happens if you double click the exe. And if you look at the shortcut Epic makes if you ask it to, you get "com.epicgames.launcher://apps/" followed by a very long string of characters. And afaik you can't give Steam that as a target.

Sadly there are a few of epics games that dont work this way, like WWZ.
And GTAV which requires both EGS and Rockstar running.
But most of the games I have tried do.
I have 7 egs games installed that I never use the launcher for.
I would think any game that has online capabilities will likely require the launcher.
You just happened to choose one of the few that this doesnt work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OgNar posted:

Sadly there are a few of epics games that dont work this way, like WWZ.
And GTAV which requires both EGS and Rockstar running.
But most of the games I have tried do.
I have 7 egs games installed that I never use the launcher for.
I would think any game that has online capabilities will likely require the launcher.
You just happened to choose one of the few that this doesnt work.

There's enough edge cases where it's an issue to me. And iinm Game Pass is the same.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

That sounds like that might work, but I haven't seen anything like that. Do you know how to access it?

Big Picture Mode > Settings > Controller Settings > Desktop configuration

No idea if there is a way to get to it without Big Picture, I think some of the controller settings are still only available in there. Valve was really pushing BP when they started doing all the controller stuff so a lot of it was only accessible in there before they added ways to access it in regular mode.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That at least lets me taking screenshots in Ubisoft Connect games. Thanks.

As a side note, I really don't like Big Picture's UI.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I want details on this. Just how wrong was this dude? Wasn't World the best-selling MH title ever by a wide margin?

It's just one of those "MH is a handheld game" types, really. Who could have guessed that selling the game on more systems and allowing it to be played on a big screen would actually bring new people in? I know I loved the games on Wii/WiiU, but trying my son's 3DS version did my head in. Awful claw grip pretty much required, and for a game about giant magnificent monsters, the tiny screen really doesn't do them justice.

He rants a lot about dumbing down too, so I presume your man is also one of those enthusiasts who loved to craft limited use bug nets/pickaxes and collect sharpening stones.

I'm not too fussed between World and Rise, but I wouldn't go back to the old style. The collect/craft is fun at first but quickly becomes pretty tedious.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Beat FFVII Remake tonight. Hell of a fun ride and solid port. Had zero issues in the 35 hours it took me to complete (sans Intergrade and hard mode).

Red XIII and Barret are bros for life. Honestly they did great with all of the characters. Though the greasiness of Hojo is off the charts. His Costa Del Sol scene is going to be wild in the sequel.

I haven't finished it yet, but it's been really great. I'm floored by how thrilling the combat is, in both mechanics and spectacle. Holding the classic battle theme up their sleeve for a select few key fights is :discourse:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Also the levels are procgen lol

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

I, for one, welcome all the water exploits.

Can't wait to see what kind of mischief you can get up to with a Magrider.

yeah I was thinking to reinstall pts as these early phases were often a lot of fun. But I don't have the time anymore unfortunately :(

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Edit: For completeness sake (and for Rise this is from September, so that is just Switch sales). The next closest MH is Freedom 3 for the PSP at #11 with 4.9 followed by Generations Ultimate at #15 with 4.3

Serephina posted:

To be fair, 1990's era tech was stuff like "Generic Joycon with 10 buttons and 4 axii" and if poo poo didn't work with it I'd be raising an eyebrow too. Or perhaps I'm thinking early 2000's tech, and 90's was Serial Port stuff? God I was sad when I unboxed my old SideWinder and found that there was zero practical way of ever using it again :(
If you're serious about this Steam has had DirectInput support for a while as part of Steam input. You'd have to find drivers for it probably and who knows what you're going to play without sticks but otherwise it's only some configuration away. (you could also use something like Xpadder, Joy2Key, etc.)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 16, 2022

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

I too enjoy ARPG's for the campaign. I have no real interest in endgame at all.
Yeah, add me to this group as well. I have no interest in the grind or the hunt to get the "ultimate" drop that will squeeze out an extra 0,0001 DPS.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Actually yeah, same. I usually play ARPGs for the campaign and once that's done I am done.

Which I guess makes me one of the three people who enjoyed the Van Helsing games.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh man wait was chibisoma the guy who threw a shitfit in the gunnerkrigg court thread about the two main characters not being gay for each other and how this was erasure and then one of them turned out later to be gay and has an ongoing relationship?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Benagain posted:

Oh man wait was chibisoma the guy who threw a shitfit in the gunnerkrigg court thread about the two main characters not being gay for each other and how this was erasure and then one of them turned out later to be gay and has an ongoing relationship?

Ohhh, that guy :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Benagain posted:

Yeah the actual writer was a frequent poster in the thread and reposted a bunch of deranged poo poo that chibisoma tweeted at him.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Got all the achievements in Vampire Survivor, here's my tier list

A: Whip, Runetracer
B: Bible, Axe
C: Cross, Knife
D: Magic Wand, Fire Wand, Peachone, Garlic
F: Santa Water, Laurel, Clock Lancet, Pentagram, Lightning Ring

Whip and Runetracer are very good at clearing a path for you to stay alive even if they don't do insane damage. Bible and Axe both start slow but have extremely good upgrades and evolved forms. Cross and Knife are awkward to use, especially at low levels, but have good scaling and evolutions. The wands are poo poo but have good evolutions. Peachone is good at clearing a path late game but does practically nothing early, and even when it does get online you don't have control over where its hitting. Garlic has an early game niche where you can use it to grab a lot of xp but doesn't scale into late game.

Laurel and Clock Lancet do no damage, they probably shouldn't even be weapons. Lightning Ring and Santa Water have completely random targeting and while they may do a decent job adding to the kill count they rarely help you stay alive. Pentagram clears the screen, but it's on an invisible timer and the enemies it removes don't drop xp, ensuring you won't scale into the late game. I'm sure if you go all in on weapon cooldown and max it out early you can make a weird gimmick build where enemies just aren't allowed to exist on your screen but if you do anything besides that you're just wasting upgrade opportunities on this.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I also got all the achievements in Vampire Survivor, here's my tier list:

A: Runetracer
B: Cross, Lightning Ring, Bones
C: Axe, Knife, Fire Wand, Bible, Santa Water, Magic Wand
D: Garlic, Whip, Laurel
F: Peachone, Ebony Wings, Clock Lancet, Pentagram,

If you focus on the weapons in tier A/B with good passives then enemies will never get close enough to get in bible range, even in hyper mode on labyrinth. The best weapons are those that deal damage even when no enemies are close.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Upgrade the pentagram and there's a good chance it doesn't remove XP from the screen when it wipes. It's actually kinda nice to have late game just for some room to breathe with the benefit of sometimes dropping a shitton of XP. I also put Laurel way up there because of how many small hits it allows you to tank at the end when the mob is closing in.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The effectiveness of the whip depends a lot on the level you're playing. In the Library it's amazing because you really only need to move left and right, but I found in the forest it's not as useful since it doesn't cover you towards the "south" at all, which can make it difficult to circle around to get at the XP you killed. On that map, you might be better off with something like the cross or magic wand for your close-range defense.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Heads up, the new God of War port has a big problem where controllers will just... stop responding. The game just stops registering them. Not sure why.

No idea what the fix might be but it's a giant pain in the rear end to have to restart the game every time it happens, because that's the only thing that will fix it.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Heads up, the new God of War port has a big problem where controllers will just... stop responding. The game just stops registering them. Not sure why.

No idea what the fix might be but it's a giant pain in the rear end to have to restart the game every time it happens, because that's the only thing that will fix it.

Get in the boat, boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GreatGreen posted:

I've been having a similar issue with Red Dead Redemption 2 where every 30-40 minutes of playing the game starts insisting that I'm actually using a keyboard/m. It'll still respond to my controller inputs, but only for a half-second before it halts and insists that actually I really need to push the enter key not the A button - I can't navigate the menu or use the map without using a keyboard. I've looked it up and seen a handful of other people had the same problem but all of their solutions haven't worked for me: changing the configuration settings in Steam, plugging in a USB cable to my wireless controller, switching from a wireless keyboard/mouse to a wired one, hell at one point I literally unplugged the keyboard and mouse so the ONLY thing plugged in was a controller and the game was still insisting that I was using a keyboard.

Just like with God of War above, exiting out of the game and restarting it will cause everything to go back to normal but then 30-40 minutes later it happens again. Really annoying.