Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Beachcomber posted:

You didn't love your cat?

That was the worst part, I did :smith: But I was temporarily in a position not to be able to care for him, and my friend was like two blocks away and had a nice house.

He's still with us, by the way! It never did take fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kalel posted:

lol same. also this is definitely anecdotal but I feel like I'm seeing more people with glasses now than growing up in the pre-cellphone era

More that it's no longer all the boomers refusing to admit they have problems and/or getting real mad over the existence of glasses.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

kalel posted:

the most pathetic loser on the planet. ugh

lol not even close sadly

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

My MIL offered me money to leave, I took it but refuse to leave

quote:

My mother in law offered me 25,000$ to leave her son, saying I was only in it for the money. I was super insulted and have lost all respect for her. So I accepted the money, cashed the cheque, but obviously I don't want to leave my man, I love him.

Now my man is mad at me, and wants me to return the money, but I think we should keep it and use it for our relationship. It's obviously nonsense and I want nothing to do with her.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"How dare you hilariously own my mom"

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Just like when Felice Martin tried to tease Ray Pruit away from Donna!!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That story about the Russian cat who kept a abandoned infant warm overnight during winter and spent hours screaming at passers by to follow her to where the baby was to help them. Yeah that dude is broken, cats can pack bond with humans.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to cry over this goodly Russian cat.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

sephiRoth IRA posted:

loving :guillotine:

after my daughter was born, my wife went back to work during her industry's busy season which required 60-80 weeks. I was just starting my postdoc at similar hours. Her mom came out under the guise of "helping" out.

Bitch completely rearranged the drawers in my kitchen so they "made better sense". loving narcissistic rear end in a top hat. I couldn't find anything for months :fuckoff:

My aunt moved in with my parents for a few months while she was between places and it was like that. I attributed it to boredom, since she was retired and had nothing to do besides fox News and Facebook games while we were away at work

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

titty_baby_ posted:

My aunt moved in with my parents for a few months while she was between places and it was like that. I attributed it to boredom, since she was retired and had nothing to do besides fox News and Facebook games while we were away at work

Is your aunt dead at the hands of your furious parents?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

thunderspanks posted:

...is this an enforceable contract? Could the MIL take the OP to court for the $25k because she didn't follow through?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

You didn't love your cat?

maybe the cat just had bad vibes.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

thunderspanks posted:

If he stays such a mommas boy loser maybe MIL will get what she wants anyways. And the OP will make out with 25k

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

pentyne posted:

maybe the cat just had bad vibes.

No, he's totally boss.

So what's the name of this handsome fellow?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

...is this an enforceable contract? Could the MIL take the OP to court for the $25k because she didn't follow through?

It was probably verbal so no

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

haveblue posted:

It was probably verbal so no

You can definitely enforce verbal contracts, especially if witnesses exist. The more problematic aspects are the desired behavior and the vague terms I'd think.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Charles Get-Out posted:

You can definitely enforce verbal contracts, especially if witnesses exist. The more problematic aspects are the desired behavior and the vague terms I'd think.

Can does not equal will be able to. 99% certain that there were no witnesses and that it was done over a phone call or something equally un confirmable like in person.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for announcing my pregnancy during my family's White Elephant game?

quote:

I (F24) am currently pregnant. I waited to tell everyone, including my boyfriend (M25), knowing that I would reach the second trimester just in time for Christmas. I thought it was the perfect gift, and I was relatively symptom free. We, my parents, my siblings, and their spouses planned to get together Christmas Eve in order to celebrate. Every year, we hold a White Elephant game as a fun event for the evening. The spending minimum is forty dollars, but I figured the reveal of the first grandchild would be a priceless gift. I wrapped a framed picture of my first ultrasound and hid it until the party.

My boyfriend and I usually play as one person instead of two to avoid buying two forty-dollar gifts, so I had planned to grab my own gift and open it for everyone to see. Since there were only seven of us playing, I figured my chances of getting a low number were pretty good, so I could grab the gift first. I even wrapped it ugly on purpose so that no one else would be tempted to go for it. Somehow, I ended up with the worst luck and drew a 5. I started to get a little nervous but figured that even if someone else opened the gift, it would be okay.

My brother-in-law Ryan (32M) drew a number lower than and grabbed the present. We are not super close, but I figured once everyone saw what it was, I would just announce it. But the second he lifted the lid, he burst into tears. I was so confused. My name was right on the ultrasound and everything (albeit in small text). I saw my parents' faces twist into joy as they looked at my sister Beth (31F) who was just confused. Once she saw what it was, she turned super red and looked at me and my two other sisters. She looked super embarrassed as she told him that did not belong to her.

I stood up, a bit nervous by the environment and announced that it belonged to me. My parents' expressions completely fell. My brother-in-law asked if we could take a break from the game. I had no idea what was wrong. My boyfriend felt so uncomfortable that we left immediately afterwards without even finishing the game.

My boyfriend told me I should have told him in private, and I was an rear end in a top hat for putting him on the spot. The next day, my mother and my sister texted me to tell me I should not have used our family game for this when my sister is struggling to conceive. I had no idea she was going through that. I just wanted to share the news with my family on our favorite holiday. It's been weeks and neither have reached out to me, so am I the rear end in a top hat?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Evil Willow posted:

ah, the prequel to hills like white elephants

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Even for a game where the idea is to get cheap gifts so worse case scenario the recipient feels no guilt for just chucking what they get into the trash, this woman went out of her way to find a gift a tier below in shittyness.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
"Since there were only seven of us playing, I figured my chances of getting a low number were pretty good, so I could grab the gift first."

You're The Idiot

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
that's why we always play white elephant where you get to steal someone else's gift. that way nobody thinks their wife is pregnant on accident.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That poor child if it successfully exits is gonna have such a hard life with such a self centered mom.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Charles Get-Out posted:

if the contract required her to leave him and never get back with him it probably falls within the statute of frauds as unable to be performed within one year

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Barudak posted:

That poor child if it successfully exits is gonna have such a hard life with such a self centered mom.

I still can't get over the fact that she's in her second trimester, and hadn't even told her boyfriend. Like, wtf??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I still can't get over the fact that she's in her second trimester, and hadn't even told her boyfriend. Like, wtf??

I know, shes the Robert Oppenheimer of drama bombs

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Comments said she just worded that poorly, boyfriend knew she's preggers but didn't know she was gonna pull this christmas present stunt

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Barudak posted:

I know, shes the Robert Oppenheimer of drama bombs

I am become Deb, destroyer of white elephant games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Richard Feynman of drama bombs of course gets out the bongos while he regales you with how much he wants to rail your mom.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Mx. posted:

Comments said she just worded that poorly, boyfriend knew she's preggers but didn't know she was gonna pull this christmas present stunt

OP never said that though. There's only one comment by them, saying that only her parents and sister/BIL knew that they were struggling to conceive. It was just another random person saying that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

thunderspanks posted:

Lol at all the losers in the comments saying she should have refused it out of decorum.

Somebody post the story where the father in law offered to pay the girlfriend to break up and she accepted because the guy was a poo poo head she was planning on breaking up with anyway.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And getting offered to someone who hasn't been working for the last year. What even fits that scenario, a brilliant software engineer or options trader are about the only options that come to mind.
Someone who is an attorney at a BigLaw firm that "took a sabbatical" for their extra paternity leave, with the option to come back, and the past year has been great for the firm so the pay rate increased.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
How can I make this family holiday about gift giving all about meeeeeeeee?

This ONE TIME I will allow it.

AITA for causing a scene at my sister's wedding after I found out she tricked me into showing up without my boyfriend?

quote:

Hi.

I f30 have been with my boyfriend Ryan for over 5 years, I haven't told anyone yet but I'm pregnant, it wasn't planned but we decided to keep it. My family and Ryan have a good relationship although they tend to have disagreements once in a while.

My older sister's wedding was a week ago, when I recieved my invitation I read that +1 aren't allowed, it's either engaged or married partners. I didn't know what to feel about this and I tried contacting my sister about this rule and see if she could make Ryan an exception but she told me it's a rule that everyone had to follow and said she could talk to Ryan. Ryan said I should not miss my sister's wedding because of him and urged me to go. I felt guilty but decided to go anyway.

When I showed up I noticed guests had brought +1s, I'm talking about family members that are neither engaged nor married. My three femal cousins brought their jokester boyfriends and even my aunt brought a friend from work. I was confused and angery, I walked up to my sister and loudly demanded that she explain why I wasn't allowed to bring my boyfriend while everyone else was. She and her husband tried to get me to quiet down but it was too late because there were people standing watching us argue. My sister said I was disrupting the wedding over nothing and that I shouldn't make a big deal over it but it was a big deal for me because Ryan was excluded like he was a stranger while my cousins boyfriends weren't. Mom and aunt tried getting me to sit down but I told my sister that Ryan is and will always be family and she not only disrespected him by excluding him but disrespected me too and our relationship as well, not only that but I told her he's the father of my child which had the family instantly guess that I was pregnant. I left after the argument and my family berated me later about making a scene at my sister's wedding and ruining everything she worked for. They also said that it was low of me to indirectly announce my pregnancy like that and try to add insult to injury. My sister and her husband are expecting an apology now but in response I demanded an apology for Ryan before we even talk.

Ryan is hurt but says I should've just stayed quiet or left. He said he doesn't want to be the reason my relationship with my sister gets ruined as well as my family, but my family think I'm the one who messed up.

AITA?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Evil Willow posted:

Just check out this stupid motherfucker!

I want my ex back but she won't listen to me

quote:

nobody would want an unemployed lazy failed musician who cheats

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Cowslips Warren posted:

How can I make this family holiday about gift giving all about meeeeeeeee?

This ONE TIME I will allow it.

AITA for causing a scene at my sister's wedding after I found out she tricked me into showing up without my boyfriend?

But why? Why exclude him? There's some missing data here. The obvious solution is gently caress em, but I wonder what dynamics led to this Relationship, especially with the parents backing it up

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
[

quote:

vikingsinmypants

Nobody would want an unemployed lazy failed musician who cheats

-I was always working, just not as much. I am a CPA but I hate it and she wanted me to be happy so she was cool with me working less since she makes good money.

And you took advantage of it and acted like a child while she was going through some of the worst professional bullshit imaginable. Did you ever once ask how you could support her thru COVID ICU hell?

-All she ever wanted to do was come home and sleep, I did what I could. I did the laundry and would make her a bowl of cereal or whatever while she was in the shower before and after work. We just really didn't see each other a whole lot after she started working in the ICU, I wanted her to get a different job but she felt "obligated" to stay. I heard she might be working at a family practice now or something so maybe if she is working less hours we could actually spend time together and enjoy each other like we used to.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

lovely boyfriend? Sure. But let's hold off on a final judgement until we find out how lovely his undies are.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm not super well versed in this part of the law but I don't think the courts can make you leave your spouse.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

My wife is working as an ER nurse now in covid hell and I am pretty sure if she got home from work and I made her a bowl of cereal she would try to drown me in it. Like dude you are doing nothing all day, I work full-time, watch the kids and still have dinner ready for everyone.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Okay but have you considered how hard it was for him to not be the center of her attention every moment of every day?! Frankly they should be building a statue of him for enduring this ignominy for so long!

I hate this man and everything he believes in. :vd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So much of this thread and a few others makes sense considering the narcissist viewpoint where literally any attention paid to things that are not meeeeeeeeee is obviously a deliberate, personal attack that needs to be punished.