Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sneaking the Sunday payload in before the snow and freezing rain takes me out of the running, starting with a forecast-appropriate Mutts.

Sally Forth (with commentary)

https://twitter.com/historysmith/status/1482406470893273091

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (January 19, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Life (Just Isn't The Same If There's Not A Skippy In Every Issue). Well, anyway, here's a Crosby panel to get us started. (January 14, 1926)

Ellison Hoover continues in his attempts to class up the joint:

Al Frueh:

And...um...look, this is another signature I'm struggling with, but I spent the week powering through one of the "big six" Sinclair Lewis books, so this cartoon sought me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Not only would Overboard not make a dog strip this good, it would also use ten times as many words. Speaking of which...

So yeah, more proof that the animals in Overboard talk by telepathy, since Ray (who is a dog, and is able to talk to the human pirates just fine) is able to hear Louie, despite the human pirates not being able to. And as I said before, this also holds true for the mice and Scratch, and I believe the rabbits that raid that one pirate's vegetable garden as well.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
what about the octopus that doesn't talk by either telepathy or speech but still got interrogated by the pirates

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bonus:

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 16, 2022

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa

... Look, Axa, I don't want to have to say it, but don't gently caress the tree.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Girl, you're fourteen. Why are you letting your mom dictate whether you wear make-up or not?

Classic Kevin & Kell in: languages (June 27 - July 3, 2005)

Yeah, there are a lot of trans people in the military. That's because it's often their only option to get the gently caress out of a toxic environment.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

riderchop posted:

what about the octopus that doesn't talk by either telepathy or speech but still got interrogated by the pirates

It's always a delight when the octopus gets posted.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

"Yes, I still have ..one... of his old helmets."

(Image from the final Bull Bushka storyline, spoilered in retrospect)

maltesh fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 16, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

I'll be honest I haven't seen the octopus enough to know much about it. I want to say it's talked through telepathy at least once but that's not even really a vague memory, just a thing that I may be imagining.

But the bearded pirate (Nate) has directly threatened the sharks before when they were around Louie, so him threatening an octopus for doing the same even if he can't hear it talk isn't surprising.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's always a delight when the octopus gets posted.

Well now I feel compelled to post the baby seals, too.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

I love this octopus.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "508 - Jucika And The Tempting Summer"

"509 - Jucika And Fashion"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/15/02

Brenda Starr 12/28/47

Smokey Stover 8/26/45

Everyday Movies 10/2/34

"You'll find some very interesting people over there."

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

He's still sleeping on an air mattress on the floor??? It's loving been MONTHS. You'd expect they'd have bought a bed or a cot or something by now!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mikl posted:

He's still sleeping on an air mattress on the floor??? It's loving been MONTHS. You'd expect they'd have bought a bed or a cot or something by now!
"Dustin is not allowed to win." -the management

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 5, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 5, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 17, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 18, 1936

Mopsy September 25, 1937

Up Front October 30, 1944

Dark Laughter August 5, 1950

So It Seems April 1, 1952

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Miller_(actor)

Those Were the Days January 23, 1958

Wee Pals April 9, 1966

Pie! November 7, 1966

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That Sunday Wallace is solid gold.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I knew that thanks to Daffy Duck.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A few selections from the 1739 edition Joe Miller jokebook, just to show you that the classics never die. No matter how hard we try to kill them.

• A melting Sermon being preached in a Country Church, all fell weeping but one Man, who being asked why he did not weep with the rest? O! said he, I belong to another Parish.
  • A Gentlewoman growing big with Child, who had two Gallants, one of them with a wooden Leg, the Question was put, which of the two should father the Child. He who had the wooden Leg offer'd to decide it thus. If the Child, said he, comes into the World with a wooden Leg, I will father it, if not, it must be yours.
  • A Gentleman happening to turn up against an House to make Water, did not see two young Ladies looking out of a Window close by him, 'till he heard them giggling, then looking towards them, he asked, what made them so merry? O! Lord, Sir, said one of them, a very little Thing will make us laugh.
  • A Countryman passing along the Strand saw a Coach overturn'd, and asking what the Matter was? He was told, that three or four Members of Parliament were overturned in that Coach; Oh, says he, there let them lie, my Father always advis'd me not to meddle with State Affairs.
  • A Gentleman said of a young Wench, who constantly ply'd about the Temple, that if she had as much Law in her Head, as she had had in her Tail, she would be one of the ablest Counsel in England.

Such jocularity. Tears of amusement stain my pinafore.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Those are pretty funny actually

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EasyEW posted:

[*]A Gentleman said of a young Wench, who constantly ply'd about the Temple, that if she had as much Law in her Head, as she had had in her Tail, she would be one of the ablest Counsel in England.[/list]

Was blow jobs not invented yet?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hath hath hath!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CommonShore posted:

Those are pretty funny actually

Seriously, I laughed at them. Good humor transcends time and culture.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those are pretty clever. The charge against the Joseph Miller jestbook is that the jokes are worn out from overuse, not that they’re weak.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
And what of the comestibles which you may purchase upon the Manchester Flying Coach?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Takest mine Spouse

prithee

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I know thou art out there, mine ears hear the rush of thy breath!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Skippy edition)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wow, I wasn't expecting a heated gamer moment in Wallace

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

How indeed, Estelle. How indeed.

This is going to go one of two ways:

1. Wilbur lives...somehow...and Estelle feels like she has to take care of him so she agrees to marry him.
2. Wilbur doesn't live, and for reasons unknown Estelle feels a sense of obligation because they were fighting before he took a drunken leap.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Beat Takeshi was finally made Olympics Commisioner, I see.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I juſt flew inne from Pittſburgh / verily a miracle before the Lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005