Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah of course there are. There's the housewife with the quirky book club

ahem. AHEM. there is. no. book. club.

also mods? MODS!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Y'all hating on reddit and yet :

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chairman Capone posted:

Sophie Thatcher was in the latest episode of Book of Boba Fett, and despite being on Tatooine still has the exact same 90s grunge look to her character.

Me - "Ugh her British accent is so stupid".

Also me - "Wait.... Sophie...."

Me again - "Whew born in Chicago. Stupid space British accent"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Misty's whole arc about wanting to be accepted and legitimised by people who understand where she's coming from.
say.

Have to be honest.

Misty destroying the black box/locater is such a death knell for any sympathy for character that its all I can think of when I see her on the screen. Another dead girl, you did that Misty. Everyone starving, you did that Misty.

I honestly think it was a mistake for the writers to have her do that. It's just too awful, too quickly.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh man, I loved The Wilds -- I think it's better than this show, sorry to say (and I like Yellowjackets!).

So keen for the second season.

I noped out of the Wilds after like the first 15 mins when a character was like " you think its tough being stranded, you clearly haven't been a teenage girl in the suburbs" or whatever. Just didn't seem to be my poo poo at all. It's actually worth watching?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 13, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I noped out of the Wilds after like the first 15 mins when a character was like " you think its tough being stranded, you clearly haven't been a teenage girl in the suburbs" or whatever. Just didn't seem to be my poo poo at all. It's actually worth watching?

I loved it, and thought it was cleverly made.

FWIW, the girl giving that voice over is characterised as being fairly naive and self-involved. You're not meant to read that monologue as a didactic statement about the world, but as a demonstration of her personality and a starting point for her character arc. There's even an episode later in the season where someone rips into her taste in writing.

There's lots of clever bits like that throughout. Like I said, I really loved it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alright got something new to watch after Yellowja kets. Thanks.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I thought it was good (watched it twice) but the conspiracy angle left me cold.

It's interesting than Hollywood (broadly defined) keeps going back to the robinsonnade genre yet never trusts it to carry the whole plot. You never shipwreck on a truly deserted island, there's always a mystery or a treasure or you're being filmed or something stupid like that. Last show/movie I can remember playing the genre straight was Cast Away, more than two decades ago.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I binged watched Yellowjackets over the past few days and am all caught up for the finale.

I'm really enjoying it, has enough stuff to keep me guessing. I'm still not sure where I land on "is there supernatural poo poo" going on or not.

Also, Misty is the best friend. Who else will gallantly shove you to the side and rail some blow to save you?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I am so excited for the season finale and so sad the season is over.

Facebook reading comprehension and critical thinking showcase:

A lot of people on facebook and reddit have finally figured out that yes, adult Shauna was in fact masturbating in her daughter's bedroom while staring at photos of her daughter's boyfriend. They're really struggling with the concept of why this scene was depicted, and the notion that it might tell us something about who adult Shauna is as a person.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Horny and bored

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yellowjackets: the questions I asked are very possible questions

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shauna's medical diagnosis I believe, is Absolutely hosed Up

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

RIP Shona

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Team members / other young people that survived
Shauna
Natalie
Misty
Taissa
Jackie
Van / Vanissa
Mari
Akilah
Lottie
Laura Lee -- Tried to fly a plane they found in the woods
Travis
Javie

Adults known to be alive at start of series

Shauna
Natalie
Misty
Taisssa
Travis

Unknon status as adults

Van / Vanissa
Mari
Akilah
Lottie
Javie

Opening scene / ending scene
Facts about the lady in the pit
White
dark black hair
wearing heart necklace

Which eliminates Akilah (black), Jackie (blonde), Vanessa (red head), Mari (darker skin)
Shauna known to be alive as adult
Natalie known to be alive as adult
Misty known to be alive as adult
Taissa known to be alive as adult
Jackie blond
Van / Vanissa red head
Mari darker skin
Akilah black
Lottie

6 people at the end where the eat "meat"
All appeared to be walking normally, (so my guess is coach didn't make it to the end)

We know there are a few other survivors. Who don't seem to be close or speak to the core group season 1 focused on. I'm guessing they splintered into two groups.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

What if season 2 involves them carving a sweet fuckin' peg leg for Coach

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

THE TIME IS UPON US

(I found Mari's stash of fruit by the foot-- she has like, a mile of it!)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So for next season, the thread title has got to be some variation on :

“It’s just like riding a really gross, hosed-up bike”

That’s not really a thing I can toxx for, but I’ll post really really sassily if that doesn’t happen.

Edit : Lol I see Kevin the Intern’s still doing the cgi for all the animals. I want B roll of him doing a whole menagerie. Give me your giraffe next, Kev kev.

Edit 2 : I can’t believe the school kept the mascot the same. loving weird. Free publicity, geh?

Edit the Third : God I could not have been more wrong about Jeff taking dance lessons. This is the saddest little shuffle. I was gonna call it white dude dancing, but I’m better than this and I bleed NPR tote bags.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 16, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Allie you can't be here your reunion is three years from now.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Shut the gently caress up Doug. You're a grown man.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That knife has been taking a beating all season and it’s only gonna get worse. They butchered an entire bear with it when there’s multiple axes just cold chilling around the cabin. There was one on the wall behind Shauna!

Edit cause I guess you guys are my twitter now : the French at the end is “Spill blood, my good friends”. Literally pay/pour.2ndplural the blood, my.plural beautiful.plural friends.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 16, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm genuinely surprised. I assumed that the Shauna/Jackie conflict was going to drive the whole wilderness arc.

Lottie's still going in the pit.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm genuinely surprised. I assumed that the Shauna/Jackie conflict was going to drive the whole wilderness arc.

Then she survived or someone took her identity?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Xiahou Dun posted:

“It’s just like riding a really gross, hosed-up bike”

also like, would she mean butchering in general, or butchering humans specifically? :thunk:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Then she survived or someone took her identity?

There's a bunch of options, but my vote's for the latter.

I think this episode is the first time it's been implied that Javi died out there, right? His picture's with the framed photographs of his other dead family members, including Travis.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Travis just died recently, though. They would just put an old pic out?

also where is ben there

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I thought that was odd, but I figured it was down to the poor, awful organiser lady being obsessed with high school glory.

It wasn't even her reunion she was organising!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The implication at this point has to be that anyone not explicitly shown in the first season didn't get out on the same chopper as the Final Five and are thus presumed lost. Anyone else would have been a postcard suspect.

Though I'm willing accept Coach as an out and proud aging queen, that would own.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 16, 2022

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

It's undeniable that something paranormal is happening, right? I think the show was reverse-gaslighting the viewer into being able to dismiss the teen girls as acting crazy when there actually is some evil spirit poo poo happening. At first it seemed to be disparate elements but some of it is coming together.

It feels impossible to not draw comparisons to LOST. In the finale they managed to incorporate the hatch, man-in-the-cabin, and revealed the Dharma initiative.

No polar bear (just a grizzly one), smoke monster, time-travel, or "WE HAVE TO GO BACK!!" yet but seems very possible in Season 2 - no seriously.

Even though I think Yellowjackets has a lot of parallels and is just as 'all over the place' as LOST was, I think it's (so far) done better in every way. If it all ends up being purgatory again, I'm gonna be pissed. There's always a chance that some kind of unreliable narratorship is happening.

It's a High School, they used yearbook photos.

Brass fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 16, 2022

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Season finale loving ruled.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Brass posted:

It's undeniable that something paranormal is happening, right? I think the show was reverse-gaslighting the viewer into being able to dismiss the teen girls as acting crazy when there actually is some evil spirit poo poo happening. At first it seemed to be disparate elements but some of it is coming together.

I think everything so far can be explained by coincidence/mania/trauma/psychosis/idiot teenagers. I wouldn't be too surprised if the show explicitly goes supernatural, though I think it ultimately won't despite teasing it.

Anyway, I watched all of this season in 3 days and loved it. So entertaining and so much suspense, plus great performances all round. I have to say I'm a little bit worried about S2 and beyond

The scene with Nat being kidnapped makes me think it's going to go off the deep end into cult/conspiracy mystery stuff, which often ends up feeling contrived and a bit ridiculous. I think the 90s timeline stuff will still be really interesting, but the current timeline could get pretty silly if they spend 4 seasons slowly investigating some behind the scenes big bad

Anyway, aside from that RIP Jackie :( Girl got done dirty. I hope she comes back as a spooky ghost and spooks them all the time

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

So I was doing a little research and re-watch trying to figure out how many girls were on the Yellowjackets team and what their jersey #s were (the jerseys go to 18 but there are 17 players in the pilot episode, 15 shown in the frame in the finale), and I took a long hard look at the home movies style show intro and found this lol:

It's a crystal clear picture of the man-in-the-cabin. He's been right in front of our noses all along!!

this is also in the intro

spooky

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Brass posted:

I deny it, but it's certainly a valid interpretation. They've set it up so far that either is justified and I can't imagine they'll stop. The bear is the hardest thing to explain imo, but perhaps it got hosed up on leftover berry wine and/or shroom stew.

Also, Javi is either frozen or found alternative shelter. I'm trying to figure out how the symbol could possibly be the map to a stash cave.

e: it would be weird to kill Javi off screen, but otherwise they're gonna have a Waaaaaaaaaaaaalt problem when that actor grows up during season 2 preproduction.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 16, 2022

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
someone please tell me my reaction of laughing a lot when the Enya montage started but then crying by the end of it was normal human behaviour

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I keep meaning to actually check, but I remember in episode one there was a shot of a woman who looked like Lottie getting given a pill by a woman in an apron.

Which would be open proof she’s alive, but it’s relying on my memory which uh, well, one time I accidentally called a girlfriend “Frank”, so you make your own judgement on how much to trust that.

Also there were 20 pictures in the little memorial thingamawhat that Nat and Kevyn were at. Don’t know where the 15 number came from or if that discrepancy means anything. 20 is more in line with a soccer team though ; 15 is comically small, impossibly small. You need 11 bare minimum to just play the game, plus all subs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paperhouse posted:

Anyway, aside from that RIP Jackie :( Girl got done dirty. I hope she comes back as a spooky ghost and spooks them all the time

At least she didn't get eaten!

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

I keep meaning to actually check, but I remember in episode one there was a shot of a woman who looked like Lottie getting given a pill by a woman in an apron.

Which would be open proof she’s alive, but it’s relying on my memory which uh, well, one time I accidentally called a girlfriend “Frank”, so you make your own judgement on how much to trust that.

Also there were 20 pictures in the little memorial thingamawhat that Nat and Kevyn were at. Don’t know where the 15 number came from or if that discrepancy means anything. 20 is more in line with a soccer team though ; 15 is comically small, impossibly small. You need 11 bare minimum to just play the game, plus all subs.

You should definitely start checking before posting

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

mcmagic posted:

At least she didn't get eaten!

Yet.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think you're thinking of Lil' Lottie's scene in the INXS montage:

Brass posted:

this is also in the intro

spooky

A Chris Farlian tragedy, in that it ends with a Van down by the river.

Eh, someone did the joke better on this very page!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 16, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Yeah snow coming down creates a natural meat locker.

Goddam I enjoyed the first season but I do not want 5 seasons of "oooh new mystery, no need to worry about the old questions anymore" Lost BS. I'm also not a big fan of cults since it's the same story every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Brass posted:

You should definitely start checking before posting

I put the caveat in the post and I can’t check right now anyway.