Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Doom 2 rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've seen that one, where you literally have to throw the pie in a yeti's face to make it fall off the mountain

See also: If you don't throw the boot at the cat chasing the mouse in the street in what amounts to a QTE an hour into the game, the mouse won't be there to bail your rear end out several hours down the line. Restart and try again, dipshit.

QuarkJets posted:

I've been playing Battletech and I really have to wonder why this isn't available on mobile platforms

Isn't that game really unoptimized? Possibly infected with Unity stank?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One of my favorite dead man walking states is in Hugo 3: Jungle of Doom. At the very start of the game if you don't walk to the left and ignore the games directions to rescue your friend by going to the right you won't be able to return to that screen and it has several items required to beat the game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Barudak posted:

One of my favorite dead man walking states is in Hugo 3: Jungle of Doom. At the very start of the game if you don't walk to the left and ignore the games directions to rescue your friend by going to the right you won't be able to return to that screen and it has several items required to beat the game.

How about the one in Hugo 2 where if you got your matches wet it was unfinishable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vic posted:

How about the one in Hugo 2 where if you got your matches wet it was unfinishable.

You know, maybe all the Hugo games were assholes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead Space<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Dead Space 2

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Is that an unpopular opinion? I thought people loved the first two games and only hated 3.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

John Murdoch posted:

Isn't that game really unoptimized? Possibly infected with Unity stank?

Yeah, that game will run on a phone exactly loving never, ever.

On my 7 year old computer that game could probably do a max of about 25FPS in medium settings.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 16, 2022

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

veni veni veni posted:

Both are good but yeah, 2 is a great example of refining what works from before IMO

3, on the other hand, might be one of the most blunt examples of EA jank. Microtransactions and cut scenes for days

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How did point and click games get the name “Adventure” anyway? As terribly broad and vague as most game genre names can be they at least usually bear some relation. Adventure though, like most games are about an “adventure” yet are not adventure games. And like half of adventure games don’t actually have an adventure in them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

yeah man and every game is a role playing game if you think about it

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
There are violence games, vehicle games, puzzle games and misc.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

galagazombie posted:

How did point and click games get the name “Adventure” anyway? As terribly broad and vague as most game genre names can be they at least usually bear some relation. Adventure though, like most games are about an “adventure” yet are not adventure games. And like half of adventure games don’t actually have an adventure in them.

"point and click adventure games" got their name from "adventure games", aka text adventure games.
adventure games got their name from Colossal Cave Adventure, one of the earliest examples of the genre. It was a text-only game written in 1977. It ran on mainframe computers so you could only play it if you went to a university with a PDP-10.

PDP-10 programs could only have 8 character filenames, so on the computer its name was "ADVENT", short for Adventure

so in the end "adventure games" is a name in the same line as "doom clones"

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 16, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much all video game genres are arbitrary as hell. The same could be said of all genres. Ya gotta categorise things somehow with language more than one person can understand.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Suikoden II is the best metroidvania I've ever played

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much all video game genres are arbitrary as hell. The same could be said of all genres. Ya gotta categorise things somehow with language more than one person can understand.

Someone itt said like a hundred posts ago we should just call everything an “x clone” and honestly that’s a pretty good idea.
Doom clone
GTA III clone
OoT clone
Mario clone
Mario 64 clone
Resident Evil clone
Street Fighter clone
Dynasty Warriors clone

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the worst video game genre people tried to name is "masocore"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

galagazombie posted:

Someone itt said like a hundred posts ago we should just call everything an “x clone” and honestly that’s a pretty good idea.
Doom clone
GTA III clone
OoT clone
Mario clone
Mario 64 clone
Resident Evil clone
Street Fighter clone
Dynasty Warriors clone

Which is still a pretty useful term becaue the best way that game development can be understood is what they're imitating and building off. After all, it's very hard, both creatively and technically, to make something entirely new.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

the worst video game genre people tried to name is "masocore"

I debate between that and pathfinders as the term for metroidvanias. Like come on, at least search action at least implies something about the actual gameplay. Hell "keyring platformer" as stupid as it sounds is better.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I just call point and click adventures "comedy puzzle adventures" seeing as almost all of them have just some combination of gag writing, puzzles and a storyline as their core characteristics anyway. I guess if I had to I'd just switch out comedy with horror or whatever else, but the other two would probably remain the same.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

real time strategy games are actually real time tactics and IT MAKES ME SO MAD

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dead Space 2 was an action horror, but Dead Space 1 is way creepier and environmental. Dead space 2 is just a better game, though.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I loved Dead Space but I think the creepiness was kinda lost on me because I was slowly torturing monstrosities to death with power tools and that made me feel way too badass to be scared much

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I loved Dead Space but I think the creepiness was kinda lost on me because I was slowly torturing monstrosities to death with power tools and that made me feel way too badass to be scared much

I remember when that came out, I was playing it on my friends xbox and he was like, "aren't you scared as poo poo of this game?" while I was sawing off limbs and said, "not really, are you?"

He ended up walking out of the room when we watched Event Horizon one time lol.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of problems with blockbuster AAA 'horror' games is they end up being just especially gribbly action games, especially since what makes good horror is pretty much antithetical to executive enforced corporate mandates.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

real time strategy games are actually real time tactics and IT MAKES ME SO MAD

I prefer real time logistics games

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I never played any of those famous immersive sim games back in the day, took me until like last year.

Wasn't terribly impressed with Deus Ex, aside from all the Hong Kong stuff. Like it was cool I guess, but eh.
(System Shock 2 on the other hand largely impressed the crap out of me)

I think Deus Ex being so stage based made it ultimately just feel like an FPS with really complex systems and RPG elements.
What made SS2 and the Hong Kong part feel so much better I guess was the sense of scope and exploration of one large interconnected location, ON TOP of the FPS with complex systems and RPG elements aspect

Grape fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 16, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Grape posted:

I never played any of those famous immersive sim games back in the day, took me until like last year.

Wasn't terribly impressed with Deus Ex, aside from all the Hong Kong stuff. Like it was cool I guess, but eh.

I think Deus Ex being so stage based made it ultimately just feel like an FPS with really complex systems and RPG elements.
What made SS2 and the Hong Kong part feel so much better I guess was the sense of scope and exploration of one large interconnected location, ON TOP of the FPS with complex systems and RPG elements aspect

Deus Ex was never an immersive sim?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Deus Ex was never an immersive sim?

I love this post because this joke is deep

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Thief 2 is better than Deus Ex

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I prefer real time logistics games

like factorio?

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Grape posted:

Mmmm.... System Shock 2 is like :discourse:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Smik posted:

Mmmm.... System Shock 2 is like :discourse:

Well until the Rickenbacker (sp) anyway, where it got super linear and way less interesting. But up until then yes, chefs kiss.

As someone who grew up on the Metroid Prime games it also felt pretty clear that Retro was a big fan of the game.
And quite silly in retrospect that when the first Prime was being developed that folks were like "but but but, an exploratory first person game that has FPS elements??? it will never work!!!". But I guess most console people (like myself) didn't have a clue about most PC stuff.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Grape posted:

Well until the Rickenbacker (sp) anyway, where it got super linear and way less interesting. But up until then yes, chefs kiss.

As someone who grew up on the Metroid Prime games it also felt pretty clear that Retro was a big fan of the game.
And quite silly in retrospect that when the first Prime was being developed that folks were like "but but but, an exploratory first person game that has FPS elements??? it will never work!!!". But I guess most console people (like myself) didn't have a clue about most PC stuff.

Better than the Body of the Many. Or the weapon degradation rate. Or the weapon balance. But nothing's perfect.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

For whatever reason I'm ok with weapon degredation, mostly. Didn't bother me that much in Breath of the Wild either.

The Body of the Many sucked though yeah.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Fur20 posted:

the discworld games weren't written by terry pratchett anyway and it shows almost immediately

I like Discworld, but if you try to emulate that tone and gently caress it up even slightly, you end up with the most punchable, Oxford University Comedy Society, Radio 4 nerd poo poo imaginable, like Douglas Adams.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Even the worst of Adams was funnier than any of the Pratchett stuff I’ve read.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

chglcu posted:

Even the worst of Adams was funnier than any of the Pratchett stuff I’ve read.

Disco Pope posted:

I like Discworld, but if you try to emulate that tone and gently caress it up even slightly, you end up with the most punchable, Oxford University Comedy Society, Radio 4 nerd poo poo imaginable, like Douglas Adams.

They're both good. I've never read Pratchett but I've seen enough clips to know it's pretty good. Adam's last book was pretty bad though, but in his defence he didn't like it either and had written it while extremely depressed.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Smik posted:

They're both good. I've never read Pratchett but I've seen enough clips to know it's pretty good. Adam's last book was pretty bad though, but in his defence he didn't like it either and had written it while extremely depressed.

I think its probably because I discovered Pratchett when I was 11 but Adams when I was about 27 and that whole "something mundane and bearucratic but look, a penguin runs the office because of a clerical error" style of Engineering lecturer humour got on my tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

One of the things I've always thought about Deus Ex being good is that it is built out of discrete stages where you have room to poke around. They aren't so big that you need a quest log to keep track of what's going on, and the content isn't diluted just to fill space. There's little wasted time driving/running/horseriding from point A to B.

As far as gameplay goes it's got as much depth to it as it needs. You aren't picking up loot and running back and forth on a large map to trade items or perform fetch quests, which is basically padding, and you can focus on different tools to support different ways of completing objectives. Since the levels are limited in size, most objectives will have detailed alternatives for you to try out that make replaying the game more than once actually worth doing. There are long conversations, plot events and entire stages that you might either miss or only see one version of.

I don't see any way the stage based approach is a problem for the game. If you make it bigger or one big continuous map, you just end up with more empty space or rubbish that might as well be procedural.

The game is ancient now so I'm not saying the gameplay itself is actually fun, but it's a shame that the mid-size hub has been mostly abandoned in big budget games. It's either on rails or a gigantic map, which are both extremes that have their own drawbacks.