Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I guess you don't have access to flea yet either, then! They're pretty expensive per bullet, but if you carry a couple of mags and keep the rest in your butt, it's not so bad!

The sks with PS ammo is a good budget alternative pre-flea that doesn't need a lot of effort to punch way above its weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

I guess you don't have access to flea yet either, then! They're pretty expensive per bullet, but if you carry a couple of mags and keep the rest in your butt, it's not so bad!

The sks with PS ammo is a good budget alternative pre-flea that doesn't need a lot of effort to punch way above its weight

Seems the .366 EKO works enough too. I mean I haven't died it with it yet for something else than my stupidity. Like looting some box out in the open and someone domes me while looting.

I went to woods to do that convoy/usec location poo poo. With the VPO-209 and some EKO.

USEC was quiet but there was someone at the convoy. I took a few potshots at him and he went prone. Or so I thought. I circled around the area very fuckign carefully and realized he didn't go prone, he died to my bullets!

I didn't even know what most of the stuff he had was! I had to examine nearly everything. Cool. He had so much stuff I decided it was enough. I threw my VPO to a bush to lighten the load a bit, I'll get it back later.

I have to say that the VUDU 1-6x is a lot nicer than the garbage lvl1 vendors sell... I gueses I'm going to continue using .366 for now :D I'm soon level 6! It took ages to walk out with all that stuff. I didn't go loot anything else since I decided whatever he had was enough loot for me.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That's an unbelievable haul for level 6! Great work; the guy was probably screaming at the game over health screen.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
If you can reliably shoot people in the face it doesn't really matter what ammo you use. Personally I can't though so EKO would be a bit of risk for me.

Serves that guy right for running a decked-out 7.62 MDR with a 75% condition Lvl 4 rig

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I guess I'll try to do gunsmith lvl1. It gives 20 rounds of .366 AP :v: I don't really know how to get any kind of decent ammo before some levels and flea market.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

If you can reliably shoot people in the face it doesn't really matter what ammo you use.

This is one of the best things about the game, you can take out a kitted out level 20+ player with the best gear... just with a Mosin.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This is one of the best things about the game, you can take out a kitted out level 20 30+ player with the best gear... just with a Mosin KS-23M.
:sweatdrop:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 16, 2022

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Honestly, going into raids with just some Magnum Buck and a pair of comtacs and coming out with a full meta gear set and a bag of loot is the best way to play the game.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What.

" 23x75 mm R "Barrikada" ("Barricade") cartridge with solid steel projectile able to destroy the engine block of a car at up to 100 meters."

:henget:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

What.

" 23x75 mm R "Barrikada" ("Barricade") cartridge with solid steel projectile able to destroy the engine block of a car at up to 100 meters."

:henget:

And hitting someone in the legs with shrapnel 10 is basically obliterating their entire lower body

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

.366 buds unite!

I am currently struggling to play solo when buddies are not around. I can do maps like Interchange and Lighthouse, but PMC survivability is in the dumps

I have tried the playing at night and that is a lot to get used to, I still have not mastered getting quests done in a good amount of time.

In groups, the game is super fun and I enjoy it immensely!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I mostly walk around. I seem to find quite a few PMC's, and usually scavs notice me easier than PMC's. I seem to die a lot less, altough walking around is so slow :(

Running while playing solo feels really dangerous, unless you are out in the open field.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
There generally isn’t a strong reason to sprint anywhere unless you’re

1. Looking for a fight
2. Running from danger/to cover
3. Trying to make it to a point of interest before someone

If you sprint because you’re impatient, then you should get really good at 1 or overcome your lack of patients (patience?)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there a 2D Diagram that shows how far sounds travels? With and without a headset?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

TJChap2840 posted:

There generally isn’t a strong reason to sprint anywhere unless you’re

1. Looking for a fight
2. Running from danger/to cover
3. Trying to make it to a point of interest before someone

If you sprint because you’re impatient, then you should get really good at 1 or overcome your lack of patients (patience?)

Patients: a person receiving or registered to receive medical treatment.
Patience: the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

To be fair you could argue a lack of combat means a lack of patients

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sneaky Wombat posted:

.366 buds unite!

I am currently struggling to play solo when buddies are not around. I can do maps like Interchange and Lighthouse, but PMC survivability is in the dumps

I have tried the playing at night and that is a lot to get used to, I still have not mastered getting quests done in a good amount of time.

In groups, the game is super fun and I enjoy it immensely!
Don't feel too bad about your survivability right now. The game is being flooded with every insane cheat you can imagine and my friend and I aren't playing until they do something to fix it.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Don't feel too bad about your survivability right now. The game is being flooded with every insane cheat you can imagine and my friend and I aren't playing until they do something to fix it.

What maps do you play on? I play a couple hours a day on most days and I’ve literally never seen a cheater this wipe. They definitely obviously exist but people are making it sound like I should see them all the time.

Same goes for extract campers, I’ve seen maybe 3 in a few hundred hours of play.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Labs used to have a ton of cheaters but has gotten way, way better. I haven't noticed any hacker or anyone that obvious.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Claiming losses to cheaters is how some people deal with the stress of tarky. You can’t tell ‘em they’re wrong the same way you can’t explain to a conspiracy theorist that chemtrails aren’t real or lizard folk don’t exist. They’re operating in a reality different from the rest of us. :smith:

see, that video a few pages back

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there a 2D Diagram that shows how far sounds travels? With and without a headset?

I haven't seen anything like that. Would be really cool if someone made one. But Veritas has a video where he shares most of the audio with each headset from inside buildings, outside buildings, running, walking, and making all sorts of sounds. Good way to hear what you prefer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntOj4KrABJ0

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

tokenbrownguy posted:

Claiming losses to cheaters is how some people deal with the stress of tarky. You can’t tell ‘em they’re wrong the same way you can’t explain to a conspiracy theorist that chemtrails aren’t real or lizard folk don’t exist. They’re operating in a reality different from the rest of us. :smith:

see, that video a few pages back
What, the lag switch video? How is that not real? Or when my friend has run into obvious radar hackers? Or the people posting videos of speed hacks? Or having other players read off their tag and inventory contents over VoIP?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

No, because both your stealthiness and their hearing range are based on your respective skills, so "It Depends".

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Franks Happy Place posted:

The upthread remark about the relatively poor MOA is fair, but even at ~3 it's basically a head-sized circle at 200m, which is the effective range of slower larger ammo anyways.

You know what you're right, it's not that bad in that frame

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Blaming cheaters and claiming people don’t cheat ebb and flow with the availability of software and market for RMT.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
There are certainly cheaters. Simply no doubting that. I question this idea that there are tons of cheaters or at least that a single person can encounter enough cheaters to make them quit. For every valid video posted there’s at least one video (usually more) that isn’t suspicious.

But maybe one or two instance plus Reddit screaming about it is enough to scare people off

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Cage Kicker posted:

You know what you're right, it's not that bad in that frame

Conversely, later in the day after I posted that, I missed a *cherry* headshot on Woods due to the AP MOA :doh:

(It was definitely pushing 300m but still)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Okay everynyan, will someone tell me how I hosed up here? Including the lack of armour damage and missing trizip on the pmc corpse model after he goes down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmujNUGnXPI

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

Okay everynyan, will someone tell me how I hosed up here? Including the lack of armour damage and missing trizip on the pmc corpse model after he goes down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmujNUGnXPI

Private video.

So the .366 AP-M is like the old school LPS Gzh. One taps to chest up to level 4 armor. 42 pen 90 dmg while thorax has 85hp. Nice. Now I need to get access to that...

Anyways how do you get your VPO-209's? I only found them from scavs and I have to trade 2 damaged ones for 1 working one in trader. It's kind of inefficient... should I just run the damaged VPO's I find instead of repairing them to 100% with trader?

Edit: the game has .338 Lapua Magnum too? :aaa: MK-18 marksman rifle uses it.. wow.. why I haven't heard about it earlier. Now I want some of that, sweet. 115dmg 79 pen with the AP round :asoiaf:

Edit2: hopefully they implement DLDSR (Deep Learning Dynamic Super Resolution) soon too. With my 8700K GPU usage is only around 40-45%. If I put it to 2x scaling it scales 1440p to 5210x2880 which is 15mpix, nearly 2x heavier than 4k! I wish there was some method to get the game to render at 4K and then downscale, to produce a sharper image. DLDSR apparently makes it a reality, but the game doesn't support it yet.

Even a built-in1.5x upscale multi would be better than 2x. 2x is so goddamn heavy. They have a million downscaling settings but only 2x as upscaling.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 17, 2022

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Just had an absolutely heartbreaking raid on shoreline where I clapped a chad at the resort, grabbed his gear, grabbed chemical part 1, wasted like three minutes trying to find W306 for therapist before giving up.

With four minutes remaining in the raid, my dude huffing up a storm due to the weight of the gear, I limp to extract as I slowly dehydrate to death, shedding gear as I go to try and walk faster.

Thirty metres to the road to lighthouse I run into a scav and drop him with two hipfire shots from the silenced sniper the PMC was carrying.

Ten metres on, I can see the drop. My dude runs out of energy. I hold W with all my might, get to the cliff edge....

Just in time to see the extract prompt come up as I run out of time.

Time to go for a walk around the block. What a video game!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That sucks. I did the same on Shoreline. Was 0,x seconds late with my scav full of loot. No mercy, instantly got abandoned and didn't get anything. Even under 1 second seems to matter these days. Don't be late or you will get hosed.

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

That sucks. I did the same on Shoreline. Was 0,x seconds late with my scav full of loot. No mercy, instantly got abandoned and didn't get anything. Even under 1 second seems to matter these days. Don't be late or you will get hosed.

To be clear, though I was bummed it was overall a sweet experience: I can't think of any other game, let alone an fps, with the highs and lows of Tarkov.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Shoreline is one of the maps where I bring a milk at minimum. At least you can heal through dehydration but starvation will kill you in a blink. It sounds like you went MIA though; this game is totally worth having MapGenie Pro on a second monitor for that, and always looking up specific rooms to see if you need a key first.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

For any newbies, also check out tarkov-tools.com

they use some user-made maps that are pretty good, and they don't paywall anything. those mapgenie maps seem pretty nice for pointing out all the random loots spawns though

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Private video.

Sorry. :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmujNUGnXPI this is the whack thing that confuses me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1BEQMO0EBo this is a fight that has bears popping up like russian nesting dolls

I got private and unlisted mixed up again.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I got the Dynamic super resolution figured out I think. I have a 2560x1440 rez monitor but the game doesn't render very nicely at 2560x1440. So it was in general 3D settings I was able to turn on some DSR - Factors setting. Now it's 2,25x and it makes a 3840x2160 resolution available in game. I have no idea how this poo poo works but it looks better. Clearer, less jagged edges, less haloing around edges etc.

I have to try out the different settings which looks best. My GPU has so much extra power currently that I could turn on "traditional" DSR resolutions instead of the DLDSR settings.

Maybe I am just imagining things! https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Games/tarkov/dldsr/

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 17, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

Sorry. :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmujNUGnXPI this is the whack thing that confuses me.
I got private and unlisted mixed up again.

You missed every shot but the fifth which was a stomach shot from behind and wouldn't have one-tapped. The unfortunate perils of body-accurate hitboxes.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

as I walk up to the bush there's a corpse with a red arm band?

That guy isn't prone, same arm band as the the guy I shot in the place he went down.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

That guy is doing the "prone and lay on your side playing dead" thing from the looks of it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

its pretty effective, I'm still coping to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

I love that I can immediately identify that you got hosed in the butt by a man with a silenced MP-155, shooting what sounded like... either Poleva or AP-20 slugs?

You can literally hear him reloading right at the end lol