Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I got NIN to 90 and I am definitely a bit disappointed in Raiju. Is there even a point of putting fleeting raiju on your hotbar? It seems like the only difference is forked is a gap closer and fleeting is melee, but forked will work fine in melee range as well.

Any time you're bound you can't use movement skills, including damage skills that move you. This was most recently relevant in EX83. Also there are times you want to be on the edge of max melee range from the boss and using a gap closer would actually move you directly adjacent to them instead (P1S for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I got NIN to 90 and I am definitely a bit disappointed in Raiju. Is there even a point of putting fleeting raiju on your hotbar? It seems like the only difference is forked is a gap closer and fleeting is melee, but forked will work fine in melee range as well.

IIRC, Forked Raiju won't work if you're rooted in place for any reason, for example like the 83ex trial does to you fairly regularly, so Fleeting is probably the better one to use as your default.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ahh ok, well that's interesting but still a little disappointing. I'll hotkey them both for now but I'm gonna have to give something the boot (probably bloodbath).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ahh ok, well that's interesting but still a little disappointing. I'll hotkey them both for now but I'm gonna have to give something the boot (probably bloodbath).

Before 6.05, Fleeting Raiju was a combo action that required you to do Forked Raiju first, and they both had lower potencies. If you're wondering why they both exist, that's why--it was supposed to be a one-two punch thing but the drawbacks of one of them requiring movement to work were pretty bad so they split them up like they are now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

quote:

Their creative magics ran amok once panic set in, but that wasn’t the inciting incident. What made the first beasts appear?

Good news, this is what Endwalker is about!

Some of your other lingering questions are answered in other ShB patch content, especially the Eden raids. You should definitely check those out.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Thanks for the advice on BLM, all.

…now to figure out what I’m going to hotkey sharpcast to to use it more often. I’ve really appreciated how simple BLM’s been to set up, since most of it’s just felt like “single/AoE target of the same spell”.

Except Blizzard I; I legitimately can’t remember the last time I ever cast that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

escape mechanism posted:

I’m ready to believe that the true form of an unsundered is less human and more like an aetheric raid boss, but what’s the in-universe significance of the name Hades? We know he was Emet-Selch as a member of the Convocation from NPC in Amaurot, so what’s with this other true name? Is this just a plot device to hide the Trial’s boss name to the unspoiled?

All the members of the Convocation have a title that they use in place of their name. Emet-Selch is the name of his job, not the name he was born with.

As for 'Hades' itself, I think it's a combination of that, the fact that giving him the name of a Greek god gives a sense of the kind of beings the Ancients were, and that Hades is a classic Final Fantasy summon. So it's a cute little reference like Thordan being the Knights of the Round summon in Heavenward. That said, I do agree that it's a little silly to make revealing his name as Hades such a big thing if it presumably means absolutely nothing to the WoL or the Scions. Although you could also say that giving out his true name at all, whatever it is, is significant.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

escape mechanism posted:

I’m ready to believe that the true form of an unsundered is less human and more like an aetheric raid boss, but what’s the in-universe significance of the name Hades? We know he was Emet-Selch as a member of the Convocation from NPC in Amaurot, so what’s with this other true name? Is this just a plot device to hide the Trial’s boss name to the unspoiled?

Clarste posted:

All the members of the Convocation have a title that they use in place of their name. Emet-Selch is the name of his job, not the name he was born with.

Yeah, on this topic (Shadowbringers spoilers only) that's true for Lahabrea, Elidibus, Loghrif, Igeyorhm, and all of the other Ascians. Those aren't their names: they're titles that go with their seat on the Convocation. As of Shadowbringers I believe we also know at least a little bit about what each title signifies. For example, Elidibus is the emissary of the Convocation, and whoever holds that position at any given time is Elidibus, regardless of what their true name is.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

escape mechanism posted:

I finished the 5.0 MSQ six days ago, but struggled to put my thought into writing, in part because I took a lot less notes during the climax than I usually do. Still, in the interest of finishing what I started, here are :words:

I can't really comment on most of your post, because like every expansion (except Endwalker) you're not done with the story until 5.3. However, there are a couple things.

quote:

The final zone feels a bit empty, even though I took some time to do some sidequests. Usually, by the time I’m done with the MSQ in a zone, I’ve done enough busywork to know the zone and get to the second level of Shared Fates at least. Here we just get through very quickly without spending too much time with the inhabitants of the first half. Instead the zone is dedicated to the MSQ narrative. Which isn’t a bad thing considering what a narrative it is, but feels like a strange allocation of resources. How was the zone when ShB was current?

It was pretty threadbare from the start, aside from being home to one of the two major FATE chains. Edit: Threadbare in the sense you're talking about, I mean. The MSQ did a pretty good job of using it, I thought. It's still a fondly remembered zone by a lot of people due to that.

quote:

World-building stuff that caught my eye: The name Loghrif comes back as one of the Convocation of 14, alongside Emet-Selch, Lahabrea, Elidibus and a fifth, new to me name, Mitron. But I thought there were only 3 unsundered Ascians, so what’s going on here? It’s possible they were only recently killed as we did Lahabrea, but then I’d expect they’d have been active at some points in the history of the Source, and thus known to the Scions (Also that number is interesting: 14 councilmembers, 14 shards… or I’m reading too much into that and it’s just a reference to the game’s number)

The Ascians are hidden fairly deeply in the shadows, so the Scions know a chunk about them but not everything. Some of them also show up in side content or stories outside the game, so there's more to know going into Shadowbringers, but there's also more to learn as you keep playing.

quote:

Emet-Selch was an excellent character, but in the end I wish he spent less time spouting his disdain at us and more trying to convince us of the rightness of his cause like he was claiming to do. The revelations throughout and at the end of the MSQ that the WoL might be more of an equal to him than he suspected and his plea to remember that the ancient lived were interesting enough that I wish they spent a little more time on those aspects. Basically I wanted the full Ascian recruitment course and I don’t think the game presented a good enough argument for that, while more conversations with a more open Emet-Selch might have done the trick.

Once you failed to hold the Light from all of the Lightwardens after killing Innocence, he no longer cares about you. You're now just another tool for him to wield in his schemes instead of a potential partner. Before then he's willing to watch and entertain the occasional question, but he's not going to really try and pull you over to his side until you prove or disprove your ability to survive holding an incredible amount of Light aether.

quote:

Finally, I did Amdapor Hard for relic purpose and was reminded the last two bosses share models with sin eaters, with the last boss casting light magic. I did note the similarity with the ShB trailer, but my questions haven’t really been solved. Even with screwy time correspondences between shards, Amdapor and Mach weren’t in any way contemporaries with the light flooded period of the First. Has there ever been an explanation for that?

Not explicitly. There's a reasonable assumption that since the Sin Eaters are manifestations of pure Light, and those bosses are constructs summoned or inspired by a Light-centric society, they're just normal representations of Light-based life.

Not related to anything in particular to avoid spoilers and it was already mentioned, but you'll definitely want to do the Eden raid series. Some of the questions you asked have answers in there.

Onean fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 16, 2022

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Leraika posted:

What weapon is that?

Specifically, it's the High Durium Sickle, which shares a model with the new Fae Sickle.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fleeting Raiju is also a way cooler animation than Forked

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Chillgamesh posted:

Fleeting Raiju is also a way cooler animation than Forked

Fleeting is Chidori, Forked is like a lightning barrel roll.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ran Praet for the umpteenth time the other day for a friend who was beating ARR for the first time, and since it was the first time in a long time I've watched the cutscenes, I only just finally realized that Gaius's armor is literally based on Ultima Weapon. Similar horns, though angled slightly differently, and a little silver jewel where the Heart of Sabik sits. Matching your modern armor to your ancient giant robot...Allagan weeb poo poo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

rujasu posted:

So, I made it to the lv 89 quests and gave up on Endwalker. Didn't enjoy it at all, and I think I may be throwing in the towel on FFXIV for good.

To be clear, I'm not saying Endwalker is bad. It is just... extremely not my deal. Shadowbringers wasn't either, and I think it's telling that the same folks who thought SHB was the best expansion are really digging this one. Personally, I thought Stormblood was the high point of the series.

Someone upthread said something about EW being Final Fantasy XIV at it's most Final Fantasy, and I think that about sums it up. I preferred FFXIV when it was at its most Suikoden or at its most D&D. I felt the same way about the MCU - the more "epic" and high-stakes everything got, the less interested I became.

I think FFXIV, and Endwalker in particular, are interesting because while each expansion is a story, they're all pieces of a larger puzzle. To use the D&D comparison - do you stop playing characters when they get to level 15-20? Because at that point, it's going to be pretty drat epic and you're probably going to be dealing with godly affairs.

Not trying to disagree with your point, I think you very well articulated your thoughts - just wanted to try looking at it from a different direction.

If every expansion was to Endwalker's scale, I think I would end up getting burned out on the story too, but FFXIV is a Shonen Anime at heart. You gotta keep escalating until you have a hard de-escalation.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Crackerjack posted:

The only way we're getting through this catastrophe is TOGETHER! To that end, I need everyone who is able, to post their BEST SAGE GLAMOURS in this thread! Everyone else... pray.

Bonus reaper glam:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

Before 6.05, Fleeting Raiju was a combo action that required you to do Forked Raiju first, and they both had lower potencies. If you're wondering why they both exist, that's why--it was supposed to be a one-two punch thing but the drawbacks of one of them requiring movement to work were pretty bad so they split them up like they are now.

they were actually both gapclosers! :science:

and it sucked rear end, because it meant you were forced to do 4-6 gapclosers in a row, which meant your flexibility to max melee some attacks went entirely out the window for long stretches of time, or worst cast scenario you got 83ex and literally couldn't use them

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Early Shadowbringers but this is kind of an evergreen statement drat, Alisae just can't catch a loving break. Poor kid :smith:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

sirtommygunn posted:

Early Shadowbringers but this is kind of an evergreen statement drat, Alisae just can't catch a loving break. Poor kid :smith:

Welcome to Shadowbringers!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Interesting. The Heavensturn screen is solid until you run at one point for a second or so, then you clip right through. Any point of the screen. Any housing folks know if other furniture does that?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bruceski posted:

Interesting. The Heavensturn screen is solid until you run at one point for a second or so, then you clip right through. Any point of the screen. Any housing folks know if other furniture does that?

Practically all solid furniture behaves this way and always has. I clip through partition walls all the time because it's easier than going into the editor.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Bruceski posted:

This is literally all furniture.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thundarr posted:

Practically all solid furniture behaves this way and always has. I clip through partition walls all the time because it's easier than going into the editor.

Ah, you're right. It's just that without the angles I was never still enough when running to do this.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Crackerjack posted:

The only way we're getting through this catastrophe is TOGETHER! To that end, I need everyone who is able, to post their BEST SAGE GLAMOURS in this thread! Everyone else... pray.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Huh, I ended up buying some crafted gear to pump my SMN a little bit as an alternative to prog P1S when I can't find a spot as a tank and I think I'm actually doing good? Yeah, SMN right now is braindead but I find it fun to try and plan out the phases, and it's a great fit for my scatterbrain since I can just adjust on the fly which primal I'll summon next.

Heck, I'm actually parsing quite high in the practice runs I have. Of course I don't know if I'm playing SMN well or I've been getting terrible teammates cause only RPRs have been outDPSing me and that feels wrong since SMN lost a ton of damage in the rework...

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I think FFXIV, and Endwalker in particular, are interesting because while each expansion is a story, they're all pieces of a larger puzzle. To use the D&D comparison - do you stop playing characters when they get to level 15-20?

I have a bad habit of getting 80% through JRPG's, getting caught up in sidequests, and then not actually finishing the game, so...

As for D&D, I have only just started to get into it, and I think one-shots and other shorter adventures appeal to me more than long campaigns where you get up to max level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Dragoon has easily taken my new spot as least favorite class to play. It just feels stiff and awkward and if anything goes off track it feels even worse.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

rujasu posted:

I have a bad habit of getting 80% through JRPG's, getting caught up in sidequests, and then not actually finishing the game, so...

As for D&D, I have only just started to get into it, and I think one-shots and other shorter adventures appeal to me more than long campaigns where you get up to max level.

Basically - you would prefer a book of short stories to a multi-novel epic.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

It's so weird how none of the AST stuff is even mentioned as an aside if youve done any ASTing any point in EW. Jani doesn't even have new diaogue for post Endwalker.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It's so weird how none of the AST stuff is even mentioned as an aside if youve done any ASTing any point in EW. Jani doesn't even have new diaogue for post Endwalker.

There is someone from those quests but perhaps not the one you want to see: https://twitter.com/lulumilumi/status/1482623566579306496

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is someone from those quests but perhaps not the one you want to see: https://twitter.com/lulumilumi/status/1482623566579306496

Yeeaahh that kinda makes the lack of other acknowledgement more painful lol

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Man, Dragoon has easily taken my new spot as least favorite class to play. It just feels stiff and awkward and if anything goes off track it feels even worse.

If you gently caress up at all everything is happening in the wrong place for the rest of the fight and there's really no way to recover.

And when you don't gently caress up you still get outdamaged by any halfway competent reaper.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

ImpAtom posted:

DRG feels awful and the 90 capstone being a button you press after two combos just feels weak. Nothing like Stardiver where you were trying to optimize fitting it into your buffs.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Huh, I ended up buying some crafted gear to pump my SMN a little bit as an alternative to prog P1S when I can't find a spot as a tank and I think I'm actually doing good? Yeah, SMN right now is braindead but I find it fun to try and plan out the phases, and it's a great fit for my scatterbrain since I can just adjust on the fly which primal I'll summon next.

Heck, I'm actually parsing quite high in the practice runs I have. Of course I don't know if I'm playing SMN well or I've been getting terrible teammates cause only RPRs have been outDPSing me and that feels wrong since SMN lost a ton of damage in the rework...

SMN is pretty easy. You run one of two openers depending on how many 30s buffs you have and when you re-opener under pots you wanna make sure your Garuda aoe is snapshotted under the pot. Otherwise its press your legos and put Ifrit wherever there's downtime.

At least thats what I've done and it works. I'm ahead of my BRD's DPS and both melees consistently out perform me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My opinion on DRK has improved after bringing it from 80-90 with a good amount of EW dungeons. Definitely felt pretty squishy on some of the bigger pulls, but TBN is still a lot of a fun, and I can kind of understand why they didn't give it something extra like how the other tanks got something for their short cooldowns. The new 10% targetable cooldown seems nice for flexibility, ended up using it to pair with other cooldowns a lot when I was getting trucked.

AST is the final job I need to get to 90, and while I want to like it, between SGE and WHM, it feels like such a weird healer, and might have produced the most crowded bars of any job. At least, not having done a lot of EW dungeons with it, I feel like Im going to have a lot harder time in pinch situations - or at least it feels like the "oh poo poo buttons" don't feel as clear cut as they were on WHM.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In terms of ease of healer levelling, I found SGE > AST > WHM = SCH. Maybe some bias on the Sage because I levelled almost exclusively with a friend leveling warrior, but even with pugs it was a breeze.

AST has a really good selection of oGCDs, and a WHM-level GCD toolkit between Neutral Sect and Synastry. Best MP management as well if you keep the cards going.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Anyone else getting hit with error 2002 when trying to log in?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Looks like they forgot to remove this message when you get all your trust members to 80 (scenario mode is unlocked by default now), oops. :v:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Insert name here posted:

Looks like they forgot to remove this message when you get all your trust members to 80 (scenario mode is unlocked by default now), oops. :v:

See I thought I had just completely missed that during ShB, but no, it's a qol improvement.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So you can just kind of... skip levelling your trusts this time around? Isn't that kind of odd?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Rand Brittain posted:

So you can just kind of... skip levelling your trusts this time around? Isn't that kind of odd?

You only level them for glamours/using a specific npc in an instance they weren't at storywise, and if you get them all to 90 you get the title The Seventh Dawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Eimi posted:

and if you get them all to 90 you get the title The Seventh Dawn.

Goddammit I really really wish you did not tell me this Eimi.